Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 4:15 PM Last edited by cragwag : 8th Dec 2005 at 7:20 PM.
kk it still doesn't work.
I load it into uvmapper and it all goes into a confusion of lines and then won't load to SimPE it says
'exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown'
(if i should not be posting this here then i am sorry)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 7:17 PM
also what is the gmdc?
Part-time Hermit
#53 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cragwag
also what is the gmdc?

GMDC = Geometric Data Container
Test Subject
#54 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
GMDC = Geometric Data Container

thanx, soz 4 being such a noob
Test Subject
#55 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 12:22 AM
I know there is probably somwhere else I'm supossed to post but I can't find it. I've made some wallpaper using HomeCrafter plus and I was trying to figure out how to upload them here. I can't figure out where to find my wallpapers.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#56 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 12:52 AM
As far as I know, Homecrafter puts the wallpapers directly in the Downloads folder. Sorting the downloads by file creation date may help.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#57 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 1:34 AM
Ok well I found the files but still have no idea how to upload.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#58 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 8:49 AM
Zeehorse,
on the top right of your screen is a 'User tools' button
click the little arrow next to it and go to 'upload items'
just follow the instructions on there
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 9:34 PM
The link to the object creation tutorial doesn't work. Can someone please update with a new link or post in this thread where I can find it - I tried searching.
Part-time Hermit
#60 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 9:38 PM
I'm not able to edit the main post, but here is the new link:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795
The ModFather
retired moderator
#61 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 12:20 AM
Thanks for reporting, Roxy. The link has been fixed.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#62 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by roxy99
The link to the object creation tutorial doesn't work. Can someone please update with a new link or post in this thread where I can find it - I tried searching.

I thought it was my computer! YAY!
Test Subject
#63 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 5:44 PM
Is this true?
Do u have to download ALL OF THAT to b able to create an object?! Like ALL OF THE THINGS on the list??

RoxyHearts :valentine
Part-time Hermit
#64 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxyHearts
Do u have to download ALL OF THAT to b able to create an object?! Like ALL OF THE THINGS on the list??

RoxyHearts :valentine

Do you mean the things listed in the first post? No, you generally only need one of each: one mesh editing program, one uv-mapper, one graphics program and so on. Sometimes one program can't do everything for you, so you may need to use another, but you do not need all of the mesh editors or all uv-mappers, no.
#65 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 3:41 PM
i have SimPE and am completely new at this so do i need one of them UV Mapping Software or 3D Creation Software please help
Part-time Hermit
#66 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Abisim
i have SimPE and am completely new at this so do i need one of them UV Mapping Software or 3D Creation Software please help

It depends on what you want to make. If you want to make new meshes (objects with a new shape), then yes. If you want to recolor existing meshes, then no .
Test Subject
#67 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 5:47 PM
Default Usefulness of different 3-D modelling programs
I have (yet another) 3-D modelling program (gmax), and have found that I can't import Sims 2 meshes into it to modify. that is, it reads a limited number of mesh types. My question is whether each of the 3-D programs you list can read the Sims 2 meshes. I know there is a plug in for Milkshape (which program just crashes and crashes for me) that reads the bodyshop exports, but how about the other programs?
Fluffy
retired moderator
#68 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 6:02 PM
fudgeart,
all the programs in that list can read obj. files, or have plugins that do so
there is still some discussion, though, whether they're all good for making body meshes, so it depends on what you want to do
Test Subject
#69 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 7:53 PM
Thanks, Lethe S. Here is a follow up question (you'll be able to tell I'm a creations newbie!). I was following Neptune Suzie's tutorial, and got to the point that I had extracted 8 files. She then says to open Milkshape and go to TS2 Body Chop Importer to bring the 5gd file into Mildshape. That's where I'm stuck--this isn't an obj. file. Is there something that one of the other programs have that will let me import 5gd files?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#70 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 11:09 PM Last edited by Numenor : 26th Dec 2005 at 11:19 PM.
I'm afraid not. Both the BodyChop and the GMDC importer has been created as Milkshape plugins and can't be used with other software.
The problem is that such plugins are only interesting for (and used by) TS2 users, and therfore is very hard to find a TS2 user as skilled as Wes_h (the creator of both Milkshape plugins) that creates a specific plugin for other programs.
Unless my information are inaccurate, the only program you can use to edit body meshes is Milkshape.

EDIT: But... Did the MeshTool have an exporting feature specifically designed for clothing? I don't remember, I've never used that feature, but I think I'm right.

Part-time Hermit
#71 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 5:41 AM
You can use the Mesh Tool for body meshes instead of the wes_h plugin, although I don't know if it's specifically been designed for that. The clothing mesh tutorial by Brianna uses the Mesh Tool.
Test Subject
#72 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 2:58 PM
plugin question
Thanks to both of you who answered me. I'll download the MeshTool and play with that a while. I so appreciate you more experienced folk helping rookies like me! :nod:
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#73 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 2:53 AM
Meshtool definitely can edit body meshes! :D
If you can edit an obj file and you do NOT delete or add any vertices to the mesh and do not move them past joints (no above knee skirts dragged to below knee, it won't animate right) you can use meshtool.

You can also do full edits with full bone support with meshtool using either modtool (which is free, but complicated, must get my mini-tutorial thing up for it) or using 3DS Max with the 3ds studio cannonfodder exporter.

There's a ton o data associated with body meshes, and thus those are your options. And Wes' plugins, which you must use with Milkshape.
Test Subject
#74 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 4:51 PM
You guys are so wonderful! So I'm going to ask another question. I got Milkshape, and the Bodychop plug in, and it runs (maybe because I registered it?) , but when I import the GMDC file I created following NeptuneSuzy's tutorial, there appears to be a set of blue lines and vertices surrounding the full-figure white mesh. It makes it hard to see the actual mesh, which, of course, makes it hard to manipulate it. Any clues what that's about, and how I get rid of this overlayer of blue lines (they look like a big blue mesh of the area between the chest and the neck).
The ModFather
retired moderator
#75 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 9:34 PM
Those blue lines are probably the joints: they are only over-sized.
In Milkshape, go to File -> Preferences -> Misc and set the "Joint Size" to 0.0075

Page 3 of 12