Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2005 at 5:03 PM Last edited by Numenor : 19th Jan 2006 at 1:32 PM.
Creation Start-Up Center (All new creators please start here)
New Creator's Start-Up Center

Introduction
This thread is to try and help the new folks who wish to create but do not know where to begin. It is also for the folks who want to learn a new area of creating but do not know where to start. I will try and direct new and old creators looking for tools or information regarding the very basics of creating anything for the Sims2.
I will list basic things that can be created and list the free and/or cheap software I am aware of to get you started.
I will also provide you with links to guides and tutorials to assist you in your “creation” endeavors.
Note: I will not answer creation questions in this thread so please do not ask them. I will not support or answer questions as to downloading or using the software for the link’s I have provided, please read the information provided by the software homepages.
If anyone has something they think would be valuable to add to the thread then I would be happy to except your idea's and add them if I feel they are helpful and in line with my efforts in this thread.

Basic things that can be created for the Sims2 game:smash:
New Objects
Recolours for existing Objects
Paintings and Posters
Sims
New Clothing, Accessories, Genetics
Recolours for existing Clothing, Accessories and Genetics
Walls and Floors
Buildings

What we need to create

Tools (you need ALL of the following)
SimPE (free)
CEP (Colour Enable Package) (free)

3D Creation Software (choose ONE of the following)
Wing's 3D (free)
Blender 3D (free)
Anim8tor 3D (free)
MilkShape 3D (trial)

UV Mapping Software (choose ONE of the following)
UVMapper Classic (free)
UVMapper Pro (trial)
LithUnwarp (Free)
Ultimate Unwrap (trial, the more advanced version of LithUnwarp)
NOTE: Most 3D programs have built in UV mapping tools.

Paint Programs (choose ONE of the following)
MS Paint (free with Windows)
Gimp (free)
ImageForge (free)
Jasc Paint Shop Pro (trial)
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (trial)

Maxis Tools
Homecrafter (free)
The Sims 2 Body Shop (free, released along with the game)

Other
Tutorials
Object Creation
Clothing Mesh Tutorial
Hair Mesh Tutorial
All MTS2 Tutorials

Advanced Techniques

Help

A final word of advice
:read: Read, Reading is the key to knowledge.
:comp: Practice: Repetition embeds procedures.

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Aug 2005 at 5:13 PM
What's Sims 2 Poster Importer, exactly?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 20th Aug 2005 at 6:22 PM
Umm... it imports posters, ie helps make wall hangings for the game. Really - you should click on the links to find out.
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Aug 2005 at 7:15 PM
Any good links for making new careers?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2005 at 3:35 PM
Taking a moment to click the link "All MTS2 Tutorials" reveals the answer to your question. 3rd tutorial down " Custom Career Tutorials".
Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Aug 2005 at 3:47 PM
A much helpful thread. Thanks *adds to "favourites"*
Instructor
#7 Old 21st Aug 2005 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
Taking a moment to click the link "All MTS2 Tutorials" reveals the answer to your question. 3rd tutorial down " Custom Career Tutorials".

Actually I've seen those, and though very helpful for getting started, they've led me to a dead end I can't seem to get past. I was hoping there were other resources out there, though I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Scholar
#8 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 10:30 AM
Good idea to have all these links in one place.

I wanted to add a UVmapping tool you didn't include:

LithUnwarp (Free) - http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198
Ultimate Unwrap (trial, the more advanced version of LithUnwarp) - http://www.unwrap3d.com/
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 5:07 PM
Thanks "Dr Pixel", I have added them to the first post...
Instructor
#10 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 5:17 PM
Awesome thread! Thanks much as I would like to try some things aside from recoloring. You Rock as usual!
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 5:19 AM
Greets,

Okay just a curiousity, as I have seen a lot of hacked objects...
In your list you mention that objects can be created...

Is there a specificaly different process for this?
Say for instance I want to make a 4 person couch (so it lines up (centers) better with the TV) Or perhaps a double curtain that will/can be placed into corners.

I understand that it would need to get catagorized with a particular grouping (I.E. Comfort/couches or Decoration/curtains)

What I am wondering is that as a completely new object (no reference within the current game objects,) how do you get these new objects into the game?

Thanks
V
Part-time Hermit
#12 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Viallynor
Greets,

Okay just a curiousity, as I have seen a lot of hacked objects...
In your list you mention that objects can be created...

Is there a specificaly different process for this?
Say for instance I want to make a 4 person couch (so it lines up (centers) better with the TV) Or perhaps a double curtain that will/can be placed into corners.

I understand that it would need to get catagorized with a particular grouping (I.E. Comfort/couches or Decoration/curtains)

What I am wondering is that as a completely new object (no reference within the current game objects,) how do you get these new objects into the game?

Thanks
V

Making an actual 4-person couch might be quite difficult, but you could "cheat" and make, for example, two 2-person couches that line up like a 4-person couch when put side by side.

There are some two-tile curtains in the game, aren't there? In that case, you'd have to clone one of those, and to make them work on diagonal walls you can follow Numenor's tutorial in the Modding Info Center.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 1:08 AM
First I'd like to say thanks for the many fine objects you have created, however I find the SimPE site is suspended is there any other way to obtain the program?
Test Subject
#14 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
Making an actual 4-person couch might be quite difficult, but you could "cheat" and make, for example, two 2-person couches that line up like a 4-person couch when put side by side.

There are some two-tile curtains in the game, aren't there? In that case, you'd have to clone one of those, and to make them work on diagonal walls you can follow Numenor's tutorial in the Modding Info Center.

Not actually interested in making the curtains go on diagonal walls... (Although...Hmmm) I'm talking more about right angles for those corners where two (or one) window is on each wall... curtains wont overlap at the very inside corner.
Or even better...how about a three window curtain... or four...

See the concept being that these objects are not in game, so a "clone" isn't really the correct terminology.
Or is it... Do all curtains, angular or otherwise HAVE to be a clone of a curtain that exists in game?
Or can a create a curtain obj and import it as its very own in game object type.

Thanks for replying
V
retired moderator
#15 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 5:20 AM
You can get it directly from SourceForge. At least that's what Quaxi said.

I'm wondering how to get GUID numbers. I have several new meshes ready to go, but his site is currently out of commission.
Part-time Hermit
#16 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 5:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Viallynor
Not actually interested in making the curtains go on diagonal walls... (Although...Hmmm) I'm talking more about right angles for those corners where two (or one) window is on each wall... curtains wont overlap at the very inside corner.
Or even better...how about a three window curtain... or four...

See the concept being that these objects are not in game, so a "clone" isn't really the correct terminology.
Or is it... Do all curtains, angular or otherwise HAVE to be a clone of a curtain that exists in game?
Or can a create a curtain obj and import it as its very own in game object type.

Thanks for replying
V

I'm not sure if it's possible to create completely original objects instead of cloning, but I can't imagine all the work it takes to actually make the object work in game. There are so many parts to an object file that it just makes sense to clone an existing one and modify it to fit your needs. What makes a lot more sense to me is to make a one- or two-tile curtain and make it in such a way that you can put many of them side by side and make it look like a 3- or 4-tile object. For corners, you'd have to create a separate curtain, but if you make it shorter than the regular ones, I'm not sure if it would actually cover the window.

I've actually already seen a lot of couches that have been made of different parts, and they look like long couches. Take a look at 4 Ever Simfantasy for example.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#17 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Grapholina
I'm wondering how to get GUID numbers. I have several new meshes ready to go, but his site is currently out of commission.

I guess that you are already registered on the GUID service, right?

Then, you can manually edit the GUID field, trying to keep a progressive numbering (e.g.: if the latest GUID you've registered was 0xEC12341E, continue assigning manual GUIDs using 0xEC12341F, 0xEC123420, 0xEC123421 and so on).

Write down the GUIDs you use, and when the service will be ready again, register them officially using either the SimPE interface or the web service.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st Sep 2005 at 5:32 PM
Okay, I've tried downloading that Poster Importer twice now, & each time I try to activate the installer, I get this pop-up saying that the file contains invalid data.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#19 Old 6th Sep 2005 at 7:34 PM
The only suggestion I can give you is: if you use a download manager, deactivate it; if you don't use a download manager, get one. Especially on dial-up connections, downloads can get corrupted, and this trick may help you.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#20 Old 12th Sep 2005 at 7:53 AM
Thanks for this!!! I'm looking to start creating things for the sims besides wall hangings & custom sims, this helps out loads!!!
#21 Old 20th Sep 2005 at 5:50 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but here it is, I am a 3D designer using ZBrush,3D Studio Max and Poser 6. I am new to the Sims creation stuff but I have a lot of .OBJ files like cars, statues ect. and I am wanting to create them for upload here and so I can use them in my game. I am wanting to make some maniquines for clothing and lingerie shops, as well as some statues to use in other buildings however even though I have the files created in my modeling software and saved as .obj files how dose a novice go about transfering them to a workable game object. Mind you I am NOT trying to create Sims only objects to place on lots and in shops. I have read alot of tutorials but I am confused can someone please explain in simple terms how I can do this? I would be ever so greatful for all you talented modders help and would gladly upload all my creations here for everyone to use and recolor. Thank you in advance.
Alphamale115516
Fluffy
retired moderator
#22 Old 21st Sep 2005 at 8:16 AM
alphamale,
a good place to start would be the 'Start to finish object tutorial'
that's the first link under 'Tutorials' in the first post, called 'Object creation'.
if you already have the 3d models, just skip that part of the tut and go straight to 'uv-mapping' and beyond
there's a 3ds max tutorial here
and a little help thread on 3ds max here
#23 Old 22nd Sep 2005 at 5:24 PM
Thanks Lethe
Like I said I am fairly new at all this and I will try the tutorials you sugested and let you know how things go. I appreciate your help.
Sincerly,
Alphamale :wave:
Inventor
#24 Old 10th Oct 2005 at 8:41 AM Last edited by XTS : 10th Oct 2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: New Information
File Not Found
Great Index you got going there JWoods
I may not be a newbie completely but it still comes in handy for even myself.
Thank you!

xts

Edit: Sims 2 Poster Importer stated an error.. "ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND Not Found. Please contact [email protected] so that we can remove/fix this link"

at
http://downloads.gamingaccess.com/i...hp?file_id=3138

Just so ya know. I couldn't get it. (Firefox browser) I also tried with IE.

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Test Subject
#25 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 7:19 AM
same here... *shrug* meh... I'm not really into making posters and paintings anyway At least I tried!!!!!

- Sam -
*** I Love Brandon!! ***

Come visit me at SammySimster, my site!!
Page 1 of 12