Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#26 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
That still doesn't answer the question, why didn't WHoward mention this?

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Probably because he doesn't know yet.

I find that extremely hard to believe, since HoodExporter is not a new program and has been through several updates already. (It's much easier to think there's something weird about my setup specifically, that the program just refuses to deal with.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 9:23 PM
For fudge's sake, If it was an issue with your setup, I wouldn't have the same bloody problem. Just use an export path with no spaces in it.

And it's not unusual for it to be missed, if nobody reported it. There are at least two separate criteria that have to be met for it to occur:

a) The user is using a transform.
b) There's a space in the export path.

There's possibly other criterias, but I've been able to reliably replicate it with only these two.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#28 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 10:12 PM
The latest bizarro twist is that Windows 8.1 arbitrarily decided that HoodExporter was A Dangerous Threat. and ever since I have been unable to get HoodExporter to run at all. It opens, yes, but there is no option to do anything and it just hangs forever and ever until I End Task it.

Yes I have tried reinstalling, and completely deleting and redownloading. Nothing works.

It's Just Not Worth It.
Instructor
#29 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 1:12 AM
It's Just Not Worth It.

Very much like your attitude.

Have a good day.

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Forum Resident
#30 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 1:53 AM
WHoward, this all started because Bulbizarre mentioned your program as a possible alternative to theirs (which absolutely requires MS Access, which I do not have). Sadly, I encountered nothing but frustration trying to use HoodExporter, ending in a complete bollix-up. (I suppose I really ought to upgrade from Windows 8.1, since it is no longer supported - this involves some serious thought and decision-making, like do I want to replace the computer too, do I want to go up to Windows 10 for the two years that MS will still support it, do I want to learn Linux and if so how to run Sims2 and associated programs under a Windows emulator....)

The bottom line is that HoodExporter will not work on my machine, I don't know why, I don't know how to fix it, and I can work around it. I do appreciate the effort you put into developing the app, it's just that my machine doesn't like it (and/or vice-versa). Not the first time I've had trouble with this persnickety setup and it probably won't be the last.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#31 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 10:56 AM
Sadly, I encountered nothing but frustration trying to use HoodExporter, ending in a complete bollix-up. (I suppose I really ought to upgrade from Windows 8.1, since it is no longer supported - this involves some serious thought and decision-making, like do I want to replace the computer too, do I want to go up to Windows 10 for the two years that MS will still support it, do I want to learn Linux and if so how to run Sims2 and associated programs under a Windows emulator....)

Yes, but these are all problems personal to you and your setup- not issues with the program itself. Bulbizarre has written about the pathing issue and now whoward is aware, but that can be solved by using a different path anyway.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 1:27 PM
If the program requires a certain OS, it's pretty much a given that unless one has that OS the program won't work.

I tried to use the program myself, but gave up after I'd discovered that I don't have the proper OS and I"m not complaining.

Life is too damn short to be unpleasant about silly things.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 2:09 PM
WHoward, this all started because Bulbizarre mentioned your program as a possible alternative to theirs (which absolutely requires MS Access, which I do not have).

I did not. I suggested it as a way to extract information for easier input into the database.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#34 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 3:17 PM
I did not. I suggested it as a way to extract information for easier input into the database.

Correction noted. But I would not have thought of trying it if you hadn't mentioned it.

For me (no comment on anyone else), it was less useful than direct export from SimPE.

So what I'm currently working on is how to move information conveniently from SimPE's Rufio output (comma-delimited .txt files) to LibreOffice Calc (reads the output easily and converts to a spreadsheet saveable in multiple formats including dBase) to LibreOffice Base (reads dBase files and converts to forms). It's still messy and cumbersome, but when that's all you have, that's what you work with.

Right now I'm at an intermediate step of reworking the spreadsheet to simplify and clarify it...will see what Base does with that.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 5:08 PM
Try renaming it to CSV and opening directly. It works mostly for me, except for a few weird cases (Heather Huffington gets misaligned columns due to the quotation marks in her Sim biography).

Scholar
#36 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 6:53 PM
except for a few weird cases

running escape search and replace (replace all ' " with /' /'' ) should solve such problems. Any plain text editor can do that (or script).

BTW @Bulbizarre have you considered publishing the SQL scheme for your DB? Access has/had this option ('export structure/tables as SQL' or smth like that). Any *very* patient user of LO Base (or anything else) would be able to reproduce your work at least at the basic level.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Page 2 of 2