Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 8:22 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 5th Sep 2019 at 8:35 PM.
I'm trying to figure that out myself, my game is set in the 80s. The circumstances say yes, the minimum of research I've done says the preferred term is black. Can't use African-American; it hasn't been invented yet and isn't inclusive. In my own language I think the PC terminology would be equivalent to dark person. Negro has been decidedly impolite since at least the 2000s, though hardly offensive. There certainly aren't any words that are even half as offensive as the dreaded American "n-word". We're generally more concerned with things like school shootings and fries with ketchup on them.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 8:50 PM
It's fine by me. Other cultures exist other than mine, and The Sims not only should not be just for me/my culture, but it also can not be just for me/my culture.

The Sims 4 is not a good game, but I've always been glad they've been adding more diversity. It doesn't make The Sims 4 good and it doesn't make up for how terrible of a company EA is as a whole, but at least there's a little good there. lol

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 8:54 PM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 5th Sep 2019 at 11:03 PM.
I thought the game was banned in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Egypt; or is that just Sims Freeplay? Just wondering who they're marking this to.
The only gods in the game are obviously Mayan, so far.

Sims are better than us.
dodgy builder
#54 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Did this word become ok again cause I must've missed that memo

No it didn't, and that was just my point
Instructor
#55 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
I'm trying to figure that out myself, my game is set in the 80s. The circumstances say yes, the minimum of research I've done says the preferred term is black. Can't use African-American; it hasn't been invented yet and isn't inclusive. In my own language I think the PC terminology would be equivalent to dark person. Negro has been decidedly impolite since at least the 2000s, though hardly offensive. There certainly aren't any words that are even half as offensive as the dreaded American "n-word". We're generally more concerned with things like school shootings and fries with ketchup on them.

Much agreed. I should also add, you never know if the commenter is from a country where the word negro means black, so it's hardly a word that I can personally say is offensive, but as I said to each their own. I sure there are some who might be offended while others may just look at it as another word

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
No it didn't, and that was just my point

Now I'm curious lol what was your point in mentioning the word? Maybe I'm just slow but I'm not sure what you were getting at lol
Field Researcher
#56 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 10:01 PM Last edited by grindingteeth : 5th Sep 2019 at 10:32 PM. Reason: previous wording seemed like an attack. I am not attacking.
Can't we just forget about this discussion? It's not going anywhere good. If they include negro or muslim cloths doesn't matter. As long as there still is no religious symbols in the game, I'm not going to care.

You should be aware that you probably come off as prejudicial to native English speakers.
Not that you have to care, if this was your intention.

'Negro' an offensive or inoffensive term, depending on region, is an overly broad word denoting a 'race' of people. It has nothing to do with religion...
'Muslim' is a religion.

I will agree this conversation probably needs to die.
Top Secret Researcher
#57 Old 5th Sep 2019 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi

Speaking as a Southerner who was alive at the time, negro was impolite in the 70s, let alone the 80s. "Black" is indeed the term that was in common use.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#58 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Just wondering who they're marking this to...

I think this been a good discussion. My take on this is not that this addition to the game was necessarily marketed to anyone, but am guessing it was a statement by EA that everyone should be welcome everywhere and a reaction to the actions by someone whom I happen to despise. Some may preach hatred but some will speak against it. While I commend EA for doing it and have no objection to the items at all, generally I feel that politics and religion should not be in the game, and this is very much both. So on one hand I applaud them, but on the other ..... it can be read many ways as we have seen from this discussion.

???
Scholar
#59 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 6:21 AM
I thought the game was banned in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Egypt; or is that just Sims Freeplay? Just wondering who they're marking this to.

Hum... Are you aware that there are arabic people and muslims living all around the world and not just in those countries you mentioned... ? I'm sorry but what are you on about
Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 7:36 AM

lol about 80% of muslims are not even from those countries (I just wiki it to be sure and yeah, only 23% of muslims are from middle east).
Theorist
#61 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 12:08 PM
In all seriousness, has there ever been a time in the Sims franchise where it has been stated that a person, or group of people are not welcomed to play sims? There are countries that have banned sims because of content that has been put in the game, but that isn't what I'm talking about, but since I mentioned it; I don't have much to go by so if there is anybody that knows more, by all means chime in. A example of this is Russia banning children from playing TS4 because of LBGT content. Upon looking up other articles, things like Sims Free Play ( article doesn't mention Sims mobile) have been banned from a handful of countries because they contain suprise mechanics and microtransactions. http://jstationx.com/2018/06/27/the...-lgbtq-content/. If there is a TS5 and EA loads the game up with gambling, we're going to see more of the later as countries enforce their gambling laws which they have every right to do.

Going back to the point: Sims speak simlish which was meant to be a universal language so nobody felt left out. It was supposed to a game that anybody could play and enjoy. EA has taken it upon itself to bastardize this franchise and are now using it as a political platform. Speaking only for myself, I'm not buying into this line of thinking that because EA puts something in a pack or update that people want that somehow this is reason to give EA a pass for what they are doing. The Sims franchise was never meant and or intended to push politics and or religion and yet here we are.

Along those lines, I'm not going to sit here and have BS projected at me about how I feel about a specific person or group of people. In my immediate neighborhood, there are people from all over the world that are small business owners. It is no secret that I love small business owners, I've talked about it a million times if I've mentioned it once. These people work hard, pay their taxes, mind their own business and don't bother anybody. Nobody is shoving religion, politics or whatever other bullshit they can think of in each others face. These business owners offer a service or product, people purchase it. It is called supply and demand and some of these people have been in my neighborhood longer than I have. I've lived in my house for going on 22 years and I've never seen so called rage that the internet ( I'm talking in broad terms here, not MTS) likes to pull from their ass and claim as fact. Internet is a cesspool and here is EA taking advantage of that and cashing in, in more ways than one.

The bastardization is not going to stop. If I were a betting person, I'd say it is going to get worse before it gets better. Yet another 'gift' from EA that nobody asked for, but since this is their franchise, it is their problem if they kill it with 1,000 cuts and it will all be of their own doing and or making.
dodgy builder
#62 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 1:52 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 6th Sep 2019 at 2:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by grindingteeth
You should be aware that you probably come off as prejudicial to native English speakers.
Not that you have to care, if this was your intention.

'Negro' an offensive or inoffensive term, depending on region, is an overly broad word denoting a 'race' of people. It has nothing to do with religion...
'Muslim' is a religion.

I will agree this conversation probably needs to die.

I was comparing Negro to Muslim. It's both discussions I think we should leave out.

... and frankly being an atheist, both religion and werther people are black or white isn't really something I think should be discussed here. Where I come from religious things are something we should only discuss with people we know well, or seminars dedicated to the subject.

Another frank arguement: What planet are you living on?
Theorist
#63 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 2:42 PM
Quote:

The Sims Banned in 7 Countries, LGBTQ Content to Blame?

The Sims mobile game The Sims Freeplay has been banned in seven countries, EA confirms. After the publisher shared the news on the game’s official forum, fans began to speculate that the ban is a result of LGBTQ content. The Sims series has been praised for its inclusion of LGBTQ characters, including the recent addition of non-binary and transgender Sims.

Why is The Sims Freeplay Banned in These Countries?

In a post on the game’s official forums, an EA representative confirmed that mobile game The Sims Freeplay has been banned in seven countries. The representative, named Mai, said that from July 5, 2018 game will no longer be available to download in China, Oman, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates due to “regional standards.”

Mai explains that players in these countries that already have The Sims Freeplay downloaded to their devices may still be able to play the game after July 5. However, in-game purchases will not be available, updates will not be released in these regions and, Mai warns, the game may become unplayable altogether at a later date.

http://jstationx.com/2018/06/27/the...-lgbtq-content/
Instructor
#64 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 3:17 PM
I was comparing Negro to Muslim. It's both discussions I think we should leave out.

... and frankly being an atheist, both religion and werther people are black or white isn't really something I think should be discussed here. Where I come from religious things are something we should only discuss with people we know well, or seminars dedicated to the subject.

I absolutely agree
Mad Poster
#65 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 3:48 PM
imaging advertising middle eastern content to people who no longer live in the middle east.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#66 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 4:35 PM
For all it's faults and criticism, I think The Sims 4 has done a good job at trying to be inclusive and diverse - even if there's more they can still do. I love any and all of these updates. It's great that more players can see themselves in the game, and play the game in a way that represents their life experiences.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Townies though will spawn with such clothes and come in like

(Not that I have something against muslim looking like muslims, so the gif would be reletable to townies that wear actual overly-ridiculous outfits out of norm). ETA: Although, you explicitly said 'your' sims, so sorry - I turned it out of context.

I am curious to see how the townies incorporate the new clothing into their wardrobes. As far as anyone who has their undies in a twist over the addition of some traditional clothing, I say, "Get over yourself." Since The Sims game is all over the world, I applaud EA for trying to be more inclusive of other cultures aside from that of Western Europe and North America.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 7:28 PM
I'm for it. For example, I'm Jewish and Latina and I wish there was more Jewish-related content. I think inclusion is really important and since it's a life-simulator, I also think it's important to include the fact that people of colour and people of other religions and people of other backgrounds EXIST.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 7:35 PM
personally, i like the niqab better
Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 8:53 PM
Default This Is Mod The Sims!
You know, if you are really offended by it for whatever reason, just used MC Dresser to black list it.
Or you could mod it out of existence with Sims 4 Studio. They look like a good meshes to turn into a nun's habit or women's swim cap. More clothing items are a blessing. go with it! Look at the bright side.
I've been playing with whitelisting it so all women have to wear it, no luck on that so far.
Stop worrying about how someone else plays their game.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#71 Old 7th Sep 2019 at 6:41 AM
Someone said earlier that it would be nice if we had an option to turn off content in CAS. I wish we could click on something and do that. I would click on some of those hats that Sims show up in. Like I just had a Sim show up in Oasis while playing in August, wearing the santa hat! If I could shut that hat off I would, as see it way too often. And some of the other crazy hats!

I need to look into the MC dresser.
Test Subject
#72 Old 7th Sep 2019 at 5:46 PM
https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/t...elebration-pack

An entire pack filled with obvious Christmas items. There is also a Jewish menorah and Kwanzaa candles in there. Other have pointed out Turbans are in game. Why are people acting like this is the first time there has ever been something related to religion in the game? Use the items and clothing you like and ignore the ones you don't. So simple.
Instructor
#73 Old 7th Sep 2019 at 6:12 PM
I just think Americas's gone mad after this...Just seen on Twitter

"An Alaska Airlines employee caused a 300 person stampede at Newark Airport bc they saw two E Asian guys (who were strangers) and started asking them “how much are they paying you” and “did they give you a visa?” Then called the cops & yelled “evacuate!”"

It's about time people cooled down a bit in my opinion.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...es-newark-chaos
Instructor
#74 Old 7th Sep 2019 at 6:16 PM
I have no problem with it. I probably won't use them for my sims but it's good to have options and variety.
Theorist
#75 Old 7th Sep 2019 at 8:32 PM
Since there is continual mention of Christmas trees being included in TS4; lets take a look at the history of this addition and how things have changed. My comments for where one is needed is in italics until after the the link.

Quote:

The Sims: Livin' Large
Christmas tree
A Christmas tree is a decorative object from The Sims: Livin' Large. It can be used to summon Santa Claus. In order to do so, a Christmas tree needs to be placed near a fireplace and a plate of cookies. If all Sims are asleep, Santa will appear around 3 AM and leave a present for the family.

The Sims 2: Holiday Party
Christmas tree
Christmas trees return in The Sims 2: Holiday Party Pack and The Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff. If a Christmas tree, along with a plate of Santa cookies, are present on the lot, Santa Claus will appear at night. Sims can turn on the decorative lights on the Christmas tree; if the lights are left on for too long, however, the tree will catch on fire

The Sims 3 Store
Holiday Tree
A Christmas tree can be downloaded as a part the More Holiday Presents free set from The Sims 3 Store. It is only used as a floor light with high environment score, but Sims won't do anything with it.

No longer a Christmas tree, it is now a 'holiday tree' and there is no Santa in TS3. Poo-poo on Santa, he might offend.

The Sims 4

The Sims 4: Holiday Celebration Pack includes a Christmas tree, referred to as a more ambiguous "holiday tree". It functions as a dim floor light that can be turned on and off but not interacted with in any other way.

The Sims 4: Seasons adds two more holiday trees with more interactions. The "Ever Delightful Evergreen Holiday Tree" can be manually decorated by Sims, gifts can be placed underneath both trees, and Sims can also sing holiday songs around both trees.

A holiday tree isn't required to summon Father Winter, but he will place presents underneath one if it is present.

Continues with the 'holiday tree' nonsense then they added Father Winter who spends his time drinking and whoring to himself with any sim that will pay attention to him. Any 'religion' tied to the Christmas tree has been evaporated thanks to people pretending to be politically correct.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Christmas_tree

I read a funny ( not in a ha-ha kind of way) thing on Twitter the other day when all of this came about. The person that started the conversation yapped about how he never judges people, but when somebody spelled something wrong in a reply to said proclamation tweet, there was commentary from the non-judgmental person about how the typo was grounds for sending the person that committed the cardinal sin of a typo back to school so he or she could learn proper grammar.

This is not a rare occurrence, it happens all the time from the so-called PC crowd. Then when they do stop pretending and actually say they mean, they try blow it off with some random bullshit excuse or that it was a mistake. It is very much like all the YouTubers who love the use the N-bomb, then spend a video or two claiming how sorry they are; some go as far to fake cry because that always makes things better. NOT!

Hallelujah! We have Maxis to teach the masses how to be politically correct via a drunk santa.
Locked thread
Page 3 of 5