Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 3:39 AM
Default Signaturepocalypse
What happened to the signatures? I see no more signatures on the site, including my own. I have the setting enabled. I just tried to change it and it said no more than 300 characters, why? It was already over 300 characters before. Or does it not count formatting and urls?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 3:48 AM
Hi, Pideli. Cute moniker you've picked for it.

The signatures are indeed not showing, sitewide. it's not clear if/when they're coming back; admins felt that they were too often being used for spammy reasons.

However, information formerly shown in signatures is still available when viewing member profiles. So even though that info is no longer as quickly accessible, it's not lost either.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 3:59 AM
Wouldn't it be better just to ask/change the signatures of the members who abuse it, instead of removing the option for everyone?

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 8:13 AM
It's not a case of one or two - we already would remove those. It's more a general check of all signatures, their usage, and an examination of the available fields in the profile, combined with the fact that signatures are only valid for forum posters.

In essence, the vast majority of things that could be said in a signature (and thus shown on every post) can already be added to the profile. It's better to have people read the content of posts rather than signatures after all.

Signatures still show up on the profile pages so can still be used for helpful links etc.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 9:04 AM
Thank you! I hate reading half way through a huge long signature before realising it is in fact the signature - and I never seem to learn! And considering the original purpose of a signature is to show who posted the message or letter, we don't need them at all since we are identified already in the side panel.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 3:13 PM
Hmpff, I liked being able to easily promote my sims stuff, and I didn't mind others doing it. More people are going to see it in the signature than on the profile. You can easily see what is the signature and what is the post because the signature has smaller letters.

And I haven't figured out how to edit my profile... >.<

Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 5:05 PM
Editing your profile can be done by clicking the gray button marked "Edit my Profile". That button shows on your main profile page (the one you get to by clicking "View Profile") whenever you are logged in. It's slim and appears well off to the right, under the line with the option to "Send private message" (to yourself, heh) and above the line whose rightmost tab is "Favourite Downloads".

However, editing the text of your signature is done separately, not through that button. I mention this because editing the signature is still the way to customize the personalizable text that shows on your main profile page.

How you reach the place where you edit your signature isn't much different now. Still, I'll describe it here because it can be difficult to find and others reading this thread may want to know as well:
1) Go to your User Control Panel (click on your avatar at the top-right of the navbar, so upper-right corner of the screen; if you have no avatar uploaded, it's a simple head-and-shoulders icon).
2) Once you're at your UCP, the Control Panel Menu is shown across a white background. Find the Settings & Options drop-down menu.
3) On that drop-down menu, scroll down and click Edit Signature. And there you go!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#8 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 5:28 PM
Pideli,

Don't forget, as a Creator you also have access to the "About Me / Policy / Other Text" which appears as a large box on the profile page, so you can fill out lots more information there. (You can get there by clicking your avatar in the top right and clicking Edit Profile).

Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 8:05 PM
Most people don't read profiles. And I was updating the sig to show links to a photo journal

I hope that the signatures will be brought back, as users can already just turn off viewing them.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 9:33 PM
Aha thanks guys, I didn't realize that ridiculously small box was for putting information on your profile.

And I agree with @JDacapo , since people can turn off viewing signatures if they're bothered by them, I don't see why it's necessary to remove them altogether.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 10:22 PM
Nor do I see why they had to completely change the format of this site and disable signatures without so much as a warning. Maybe something posted on all pages at the top for a week or so BEFORE it happened? Oh wait... wouldn't be as much fun, would it?
Forum Resident
#12 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 3:05 AM
Well... my only reason for missing signatures is, certain people who had archived other sims creations that would otherwise be lost were in their signatures. I find the "search member" tool to be quite difficult to use successfully, if i can't remember the exact spelling of someone's name. But if i knew they posted a lot in a certain area, i could find them... their signature with the link told me I'd found the right person.

Plus... many times I didn't know a person had (or might have) an archive. Their signature was the only way I found that out and how to access it. With the rate at which stuff is disappearing, it was helpful to be reading a post in the forum and spot "Sims Wardrobe stuff here!" or "Looking for Raynuss's creations?" or "Chris Hatch Family Friendly Archive!". Stuff i might not have even known was missing til I needed it or saw it in someone's signature.

To me, that was the value of sigs... I never used them myself, but advertising lost websites was a real bonus!

-grinEvilly
>=)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 3:16 AM
Yeah, I have never mistaken a signature for part of a post. Bring 'em back I say!!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Yeah, I have never mistaken a signature for part of a post. Bring 'em back I say!!

I liked that people had Signatures and I had a Signature, I am sure that mine did not violate any rule as to length and I am pretty sure that people would not say that it was a Spammy sort of Signature.

I plead for the return of Signatures.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 4:00 AM
Yeah! There are people like Smorbie1 who have linked to archives of dead Sims 2 sites! Why did you have to remove them, and without even giving everyone a heads-up? Did you just want to see how we'd all react?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#16 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 9:19 AM
Signatures still exist . You can still see the signatures in the user profiles, so I don’t see the issue here. It’s not like they are gone completely since you can still read them there, so in the case above where you know the username then just... click on the profile. As for identifying people by signature, you can also use.... the username and the avatar to do that. Neither of which have changed

As for “changing the site without warming” - it happens all the time, all over the web. Websites constantly evolve and change, and there will always be a vocal minority who want the old ways, but the navigation here changed for a reason, which was to consolidate the menus, and make it easier for the vast majority of people to find and get to parts of the site relevant to the particular game they play. There are always reasons behind the changes, and it’s not just to see how people react.

At this point, i’d be fine with keeping signatures disabled by default and allowing people to turn them back on specifically. So then all you guys can still see signatures, just that most people wouldn’t.

Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#17 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 10:36 AM
Also! (A sudden break from our sponsors! :P) For the folks that really like to be aware of changes on the site and even give feedback on it before it's going live, you guys can always join the Beta testers program .

Beta testers would be the first ones who would give feedback on such things like navbar changes, big changes on specific pages (remember how the infobox on downloads used to be in the footer?) and even the site redesign that's slowly happening.

I still think we need to make a proper thread about it but if you're interested just let us know!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#18 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 11:59 AM
No! Keep 'em banned :P

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 6:31 PM
I can see where a change of this sort might make sense if most of the signatures here were like the ones on other forums that I've visited - i.e. primarily personal statements of the sort one might see on a bumper sticker. Here at MTS, though, (at least in the TS2 section) I've seen many signatures that contain useful or helpful links like lordtyger9's helpful information for MacIntosh users, Smorbie's links to Chris Hatch's family-friendly mods, my own instructions for using christianlov's CPack Editor, and Bulbizarre's collections of the contents of three defunct TS2 modding sites. Hiding this sort of signature just ends up hiding information that a visitor might find useful.

I also don't see what was wrong with the way signatures worked before. People who didn't like them could always just disable them as JDacapo noted above.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#20 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 6:43 PM
Placing links to old sites and content is best listed in one place, rather than being in multiple users signatures. Placing links in signatures is not exactly the most efficient way to go about listing links for old sites. One dedicated forum would be far more beneficial, such as using Social Groups. This way if anyone wants to see where the old content is these days, they can go join the group.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#21 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 7:30 PM
I don't get the resistance when it comes to the signatures... are they the new evil or something? Was there something we all missed?

The signatures here are very non-intrusive compared to other sites. Smaller font, no flashy gifs, nice little line letting you know that it was separate from the rest of the post.. but ok, not my site and we can all agree to disagree on this I reckon.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#22 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 7:36 PM
I dont' think they are evil but they may be seen as unnecessary and confusing data when trying to convey a message/meaning in a post.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 11:22 PM
Joining groups to look for old content might seem more efficient, but it isn't the way most people on this site do it. We want our signatures back!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Signatures still exist . You can still see the signatures in the user profiles, so I don’t see the issue here.

The issue is that way more people are going to see the signatures on the forum than on the profiles. Not everyone visits everyone's profiles. So whatever you wanted to share in your signature is going to be shared with way less people now.

there will always be a vocal minority who want the old ways, but the navigation here changed for a reason, which was to consolidate the menus, and make it easier for the vast majority of people to find and get to parts of the site relevant to the particular game they play.

How do you know it's a minority? Was there a poll I missed?

You can do what you want with your site obviously, but don't act like this is what people wanted because a lot of us used signatures and I haven't seen a bunch of people bitching about them. :/

This comes at a really crappy time because I wanted to inform people that all of my sims pictures are going to disappear because of tinypic, so if they want to read my stuff on MTS now would be the time...

At this point, i’d be fine with keeping signatures disabled by default and allowing people to turn them back on specifically. So then all you guys can still see signatures, just that most people wouldn’t.

But why?
Still sad... :/

Mad Poster
#25 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 12:08 AM
Vocal minority? I think it was a minority of people who wanted to remove the signatures. In fact, I think the only reason they were removed is because a couple of admins didn't like them. To hell with what the rest of us want.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2