Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 22nd May 2019 at 10:30 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 22nd May 2019 at 10:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
I don't think my Win10 laptop can run it but I can try (If I remember to download....)

Why wouldn't it (If you're mentioning OS). Why wouldn't they, since it's post-2014?

The way I would described playing it once again (previous time on someone's else copy) in five words: "it is what it is". i did find the animation Sim shown more expressive, with the whole cartoony vibe, as well found some little fun features here and there. I just skipped right to live mode (played with random cas generated sim without modifying appearance), Not sure how I'll find the time to explore it as a whole, but I'm still curious to learn about the game in experiential way. I'm just doing out of sparse curiosity and give benefit a doubt (although I don't see it convincing much to consider buying).

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 22nd May 2019 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
No, go ahead and get it. I bought it. I don't love it, but....well, I guess that's the best way to put it. I've played it a couple of times, not enough to do what I want to do with it, I guess. But then I want it to be JUST LIKE TS2, just updated.

Really, EA, can't you figure out that's what people want????

A Sims 2 remaster that keeps the gameplay, just updates the graphics and includes the convenience features and of the newer versions (body shapes, push and pull cas, townie editing, moving walls and rooms etc.) That'd be my dream.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 23rd May 2019 at 12:03 AM
Not even when it's free is it worth it.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#29 Old 23rd May 2019 at 12:56 AM
do I have to do it from the website or can I do through the origin on my computer?
Inventor
#30 Old 23rd May 2019 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Katie Turner
do I have to do it from the website or can I do through the origin on my computer?

I believe you can do it both ways. I went to the Origin website on my laptop and there's a button you can click that says 'Get It Free'.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Inventor
#31 Old 23rd May 2019 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
This makes me really annoyed that I paid £20 for it a few years ago, played it once, and put it down never to pick it up again...

You're annoyed? I preordered the damn game and regretted wasting the money from basically day 1. Even with the patched in content, I don't feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

Yes, I'm still salty
Mad Poster
#32 Old 23rd May 2019 at 2:02 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd May 2019 at 2:13 AM.
I already have the TS4 basegame, so to me it's not a big deal - but I guess it's neat for those who want the game but don't have it yet. If Origin ever starts giving out EPs for free, I'll probably jump at it. Maybe they're trying to hype up the game again, to get EP sales going.

I have played it for a bit lately (because my TS2 game is iffy atm) and as a time filler it's not too bad, but it's got some issues I'm not at all happy with and it gets boring much faster than TS2. I only have 2 EPs (GTW+Cats&Dogs) and kind of feel they don't live up to their promise - but I got all of them on sales, so I don't feel I've wasted away too much money. After my disappointment with C&D (if you can't mix&match the pet coats, which is the most interesting part, then what's the point?) I'm not very tempted to buy more EPs unless they're offered very cheap, and preferably not on Origin (I have all of them as "CD" versions, and the EPs are basically just the cover with a code inside).

TS2 will always be my favorite, and I'm really happy I jumped on the UC when they offered it, because my new laptop doesn't have an optical drive.

But... you know, it's free. Doesn't hurt to just add it to your Origin account if you have one, so if you figure out you want to test it out, then at least you don't have to pay for it . I don't think you have to install it immediately (I didn't with the UC, just added it to the library). If you never end up installing/playing it, or don't like it at all, then at least you didn't waste any money.

I must admit what I've really been using TS4 for most is converting items to TS2. And it's basically the same for TS3. Having the games installed helps on the extracting bit... In fact, it's the main reason I kept buying TS3 EPs, and why I bought TS4 in the first place
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 23rd May 2019 at 2:31 AM
Na, why would I? I barely have enough time to play Sims 2 which I love so what's the point of another, inferior, version just for the sake of it. I'll stick to my dear Sims 2.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 23rd May 2019 at 2:55 AM
I already bought base game when it was on sale, oh well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#35 Old 23rd May 2019 at 3:03 AM
well I gave it go still waiting for install to finish. I will admit my hopes aren't high but it's a step up from Sims 3 which I honestly think was the worst, the open world was great but that was it. The graphics sucked they tried to hard to make it real but I think it back fired and the interactions were bland.
Alchemist
#36 Old 23rd May 2019 at 3:21 AM
It looks like I can't get it without signing up for a subscriber plan, although I can apparently send it as a gift.

I'm really not bothered at this stage, but I thought it might be sensible to get it while it was free, just in case I want to try it sometime. But if they make it difficult at all, no thanks!

Also, I think sims4 HAS to be played through Origin, am I correct?

I really don't want to be tied to Origin or to an online connection of any sort to play my game.
Scholar
#37 Old 23rd May 2019 at 3:43 AM
IIRC you can add the game (any game actually) through theirs website, just log onto account if you have problem with Origin EA's product quality.

Any Origin game is tied to Origin launcher, so you cannot avoid it. You can go "offline", though (disconnect LAN/WiFi manually if you want to be really offline, otherwise service will call home periodically).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#38 Old 23rd May 2019 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
A Sims 2 remaster that keeps the gameplay, just updates the graphics and includes the convenience features and of the newer versions (body shapes, push and pull cas, townie editing, moving walls and rooms etc.) That'd be my dream.

I'd rather have new content than updated graphics.
Forum Resident
#39 Old 23rd May 2019 at 6:43 AM
I pre-ordered TS4 when it was first released in 2014. I played with the CAS Demo until since time as TS4 was released. I then played the heck out of the game (Origin said 250 hours) for about 2 months. And then my playing time dropped to next to nothing in the third month. I didn't bother getting any GP's or SPs after the base game - maybe they improved it, maybe not.

Summarizing what I blogged about the base game (on a now defunct site) after 3 months, (1) the family gameplay felt overly repetitive around the 3rd family played and rewards for reaching goals (collection or aspiration) were very underwhelming for the effort required; (2) The Sims' looks were all so very similar and quite cartoony, in my opinion. Perhaps it has changed now after 5 years, but back then I thought hair looked like Play-Doh and eyebrows looked totally unrealistic; and (3) Custom Content clothing/makeup creation was extremely clunky, requiring A LOT more effort and no quick way to see changes. What we can do in minutes via BodyShop might take an hour in TS4 as DDS files and package files had to be created in order to see any change. There was nothing like adjusting something a few pixels and hitting refresh. Instead, it took a complete rebuild of DDS files, then building the package file from the DDS file, placing that package file in the game, and starting the game each time to see if you finally managed to line up the neckline or sleeve lengths front and back on a piece of clothing.

I haven't followed up with TS4 in the last 5 years. There may be CC utilities now which ease the creation woes. Creators may have developed better hair and more realistic makeup. I did find the TS4 base game to be extremely engrossing and quite fun for the first family or two but then it became boring quite quickly after that. And so I returned to TS2. Others may feel differently about TS4 but that was my take on it way back before the first Game Pack (Outdoor Retreat) came out.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Scholar
#40 Old 23rd May 2019 at 7:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Why wouldn't it (If you're mentioning OS). Why wouldn't they, since it's post-2014?

I think my graphics ship is to weak, it's a Intel HD Graphics 4000. I once started a thread and asked if the computer would run sims3 but as I recall it, the forum did not think it was a great idea. Yes, I did mention that my OS, it's Windows 10. But I think I will download the game anyway if I remember.
Scholar
#41 Old 23rd May 2019 at 9:59 AM
I know this will seem like an enormous betrayal and I may subsequently have to change to a new name but I, an individual who put the 2 in my username, will at the very least add it to my origin account. Hypocritically, for again an individual known as Sims2Christain, I have played both the Sims 3 demo and Sims 4 CAS demo.
I did download a few of the on the house deals when that was running, I can see why they removed it however. why they had the idea in the first place was something that seemed so out of line with EA marketing to me.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 23rd May 2019 at 10:06 AM
I was gifted Sims 4 when it came out (for my birthday). I last started the game when toddlers were added.

I kind of liked it better than Sims 3 myself - but it is not sims 2

Edit: Get it, it's free now, it can always be uninstalled
Theorist
#43 Old 23rd May 2019 at 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I'd rather have new content than updated graphics.

Updated graphics and engine. So you'd have Sims with different body shapes, you could give Sims of the same household different family names in, choose shoes, accessories and hats independent of clothing and hairstyle, easier basements and easier building in general, clean up the code to fix the corruption issues, make it possible to edit and rename townies, there'd be more genetic haircolours and they could even include traits.
And that'd just be the remaster, for which they then could release additional expansions.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 23rd May 2019 at 11:18 AM
My daughter just informed me that she has downloaded it. She normally plays Sims 3 which takes a very long time to load so she was immediately pleased at the fast loading time. I imagine she will play Sims 4 in preference now. That I can understand. Sims 3 was awful.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 23rd May 2019 at 11:20 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd May 2019 at 3:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
Summarizing what I blogged about the base game (on a now defunct site) after 3 months, (1) the family gameplay felt overly repetitive around the 3rd family played and rewards for reaching goals (collection or aspiration) were very underwhelming for the effort required; (2) The Sims' looks were all so very similar and quite cartoony, in my opinion. Perhaps it has changed now after 5 years, but back then I thought hair looked like Play-Doh and eyebrows looked totally unrealistic; and (3) Custom Content clothing/makeup creation was extremely clunky, requiring A LOT more effort and no quick way to see changes. What we can do in minutes via BodyShop might take an hour in TS4 as DDS files and package files had to be created in order to see any change. There was nothing like adjusting something a few pixels and hitting refresh. Instead, it took a complete rebuild of DDS files, then building the package file from the DDS file, placing that package file in the game, and starting the game each time to see if you finally managed to line up the neckline or sleeve lengths front and back on a piece of clothing.

I've used S4Studio for most of my creatin needsg (mostly 4t2 conversions), and it supports regular transparent PNGs. It's still a little clunky, and Blender is needed for meshing (or mesh extractions), but it's got a 3D view so you can see updates immediately. I have made a few 2t4 conversions of some of some of my TS2 objects, and for objects S4S is quite nice. Even has a slot previewer/maker (I can haz for SimPE???) - I do use S4PE when I can't use S4S but I'm not too fond of it, and it has nothing compared to SimPE.

Bodyshop is still one of the best additions to a sims game, and perhaps missing it is the main reason I've never bothered much with creating for TS3/4. I never figured out how to create for TS3, and haven't bothered to look much into it for TS4, mostly because I'm not interested in the photographic aspect of these two games, so I don't have a big need to make CC for them. Taking photos, storytelling, and making CC are my favorite things to do with TS2, and say what you want about the neighborhood system in TS2, but apart from the "prettiness" and being able to move outside a lot in the two other games, I much prefer the TS2 neighborhood's ability to have more playable lots than I know what to do with, because I usually work with multiple lots and families, and want them to be individually saveable. I don't want to be locked to one family or one save, or a max of 4-5 playable lots (mods, I know, but it's still not the same).

I still find it a tad annoying that my old laptop could run TS2 without any issues, but struggled with TS4 and TS3, and with my new laptop it's reversed. TS4 loads in just a few minutes and runs fine (little CC, mostly mods to fix some borked gameplay), but TS2 with no CC has memory issues (but still loads in a minute).

Nowadays TS4 is mostly just light entertainment until I manage to fix my TS2 game...
Mad Poster
#46 Old 23rd May 2019 at 12:06 PM
I have started to build lots for TS2 because I was unhappy with the lots that came with the game. I have never built anything for 3 and 4 (not sure if one needs to, and what will be the point of having a lot of houses if nobody is going to live in them anyway? Besides, you can just plop down complete rooms in 4).
It is not the building, though, that keeps me tied to TS2. It is the ability to have a hood with more than 100 families in it (and enough houses for all of them).
I also love the TS2 Sims (I found the sims 4 sims quite charming, did not like those in 3 as a rule).
But in the end: you can play and enjoy TS2 without a single mod - I did, for years - and even the vanilla game offers so many surprises. I feel as I am simply not done with the game, there are too many aspects I still have to explore.
I do appreciate the 3t2 and 4t2 conversions! Thank you to everyone who made some (I especially appreciate the clothing).
Test Subject
#47 Old 23rd May 2019 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
I think my graphics ship is to weak, it's a Intel HD Graphics 4000. I once started a thread and asked if the computer would run sims3 but as I recall it, the forum did not think it was a great idea. Yes, I did mention that my OS, it's Windows 10. But I think I will download the game anyway if I remember.

S4 will play great with your graphics card.
Scholar
#48 Old 23rd May 2019 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raven41858
S4 will play great with your graphics card.

Thank you! Will download it.
Forum Resident
#49 Old 23rd May 2019 at 2:48 PM
EA's developers and demographic are SJWs so they won't ever listen to anyone and because of that, they are too stupid and confused by their own agenda to figure out what the population is asking for.
Forum Resident
#50 Old 23rd May 2019 at 3:34 PM
Well played for the first time this morning for about an hour and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised it's not that bad. My only complaint is the babies TS2 babies were better. Also I don't know if it was originally I got mine through the desktop version of origin and below under packs/add ons was the Holiday Celebration stuff pack for free so I just downloaded that as well. That said I most certainly not willing to pay the ridiculous amount for all those expansions (I made that mistake with TS3) and it looks like some should have just been included with the expansions ex: there's no need for Toddler stuff and parenthood to be separate. Over all TS2 is still the best TS4 is second best and TS3 is the worst
Page 2 of 6