Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th May 2019 at 10:45 AM
Default Making NRaas code open-source?
Hey, so this is probably a really stupid question, but I'm a big fan of the open-source movement, and I was wondering if it can be applied to Sims 3 mods? But seriously, it would be very interesting if Errortrap & Overwatch's code would be available to the public, since this is something EA never did (well, I didn't expect them to but whatever) and I guess it would be very interesting? I'm not sure how Sims mods code exactly works (Is it written in C? Python? Java?) but I still think someone can benefit from it, learning how the mod controls stuck sims, fixes errors, etc etc. I'd love to have a discussion about this here. Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 5th May 2019 at 1:42 PM
All TS3 script and (I think) core mods are coded in C#. Whether they should be open-sourced or not is up to the developer. NRaas mods have been open-sourced ever since Twallan's retirement over five years ago. That's how our current developer and those who have contributed since Jan 2014 have been able to do so as well as others using the code as they see fit for their own games privately.
http://www.nraas.net/community/Crea...n-NRaas-project

Occasionally we get someone who clearly has no idea what they are doing try to update one of the mods. It doesn't happen very often, the skill set required to even try is not very widely distributed. But anyway we do try to be polite as we can when rejecting such submissions while encouraging them to try again if it seems like they have a shot at actually improving things rather than breaking them, and gently suggest they find something else to do if they are really just blindly putting random stuff into the mods that may fix one thing and break twelve others in the process without listening to what might be a better approach to whatever they are trying to do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th May 2019 at 6:49 AM
@igazor Did not know it was already open source! Wow! That's really freaking cool! It'll be fun to poke around, looking and stuff, even though I have no idea what I'm doing