Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 6:10 PM
Well, as a child when Sims 2 came out I did some downloads I regretted, not mods, but Sims and houses from the exchange that came with all sorts of custom content and, sometimes, mods I didn't want in my game. Because back then people hardly ever listed any CC that was included with package files.

Other than that I haven't really regretted any download since then. I've never had one of those hidden NPC downloads, mostly because what they offered wasn't something I wanted in my game (or at least not in the way it was offered by said mods) and if I find I dislike a mod, I just remove it.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
The thing with ACR is not only that it is highly adjustable but that one SHOULD adjust it thoroughly, for the best experience with it. IMO, its default settings make the Sims far too likely to jump into bed with each other at the drop of a hat. Sure, I want that for SOME Sims, but certainly not ALL of them. I think most people are probably the same way, but if they just drop in the mod and don't do anything with the settings, it's going to affect their game in ways they probably won't like/want. So, that means you have to fiddle with things. I fiddle with the global/neighborhood settings, but more importantly, I fiddle extensively with every individual Sim's settings. It's part of my "ritual" when a new adult Sim is created, but more importantly it's part of my "ritual" when a born-in-game Sim turns teen, especially since I also use Inteen and I don't want a ton of teen pregnancies. If you use ACR or are thinking about using it, you definitely want to keep in mind that it is probably the most individually-customizable mod out there. You're certainly not locked into using the default settings. I mean, you can make completely asexual Sims with it, who won't even flirt autonomously (Well, the game might make them flirt, with its vanilla mechanics, but ACR won't), much less autonomously jump into bed at the drop of a hat.

I certainly love randomness and I don't mind a certain amount of fiddling. When I used ACR, I adjusted, but I don't really want to introduce autonomy if it means I have to adjust every single lot or sim. The biggest issue for me with it is that I prefer no-jealousy-at-all globally and ACR doesn't work with that and has to be adjusted on each lot for jealousy which is too much work, and by the time I got it adjusted someone had already attacked a loved one, both times, which, in my game, is unheard of, so it traumatized my sims and me both. There's also a disturbing memory of a very perfunctory loss of innocence for two of my favorite teens that I am still trying to forget. :P

In general, I don't elevate my game to regret status, really, but having things happen in the game that are disturbing rather than fun for me can bother me a bit.

To each his own, though, for example, Baby Controller is a staple in my game and it's easily set to look very natural, imo. My parents act like decent parents and my babies aren't left on the floor, so, now that I made the giant eye into a teddy bear, I'm quite happy with that mod.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Baby Controller is a staple in my game and it's easily set to look very natural, imo.

There are settings for that thing??

Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
My parents act like decent parents and my babies aren't left on the floor

I've yet to have a sim who didn't act like a decent parent, but then I guess I never let them do anything other than act like decent parents. They can't leave the babies on the floor if I tell them to pick the babies up and put them in cribs!
Alchemist
#29 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
There are settings for that thing??

I've yet to have a sim who didn't act like a decent parent, but then I guess I never let them do anything other than act like decent parents. They can't leave the babies on the floor if I tell them to pick the babies up and put them in cribs!

I mean they act that way autonomously. I'm all about autonomy. I don't have to direct them to diaper, feed, put in crib, etc. Putting babies on the floor irritated the heck out of me.
As for BC, yes, if you just pick the simplest setting, so there's no nanny lobotomies and whatnot, and use a few other things to help it along.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...587#post5358587
Mad Poster
#30 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 9:00 AM
I'd only regret a hack if it broke my game. Otherwise, as people have said, you can just take it out if it turns out not to be what you wanted. Regretting a hack sounds like going on a drunken downloading spree and regretting it in the morning. XD
Instructor
#31 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
I am now down to about 325 MB in my download folder and happy with what I now play with.

At one time my download folder was well over 10 GB in size.

That's quite the downsizing!

What is left in your Downloads folder?
Mad Poster
#32 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TychoH
That's quite the downsizing!

What is left in your Downloads folder?

Mostly game fixing mods and my adult skins set with the smallest teen woohoo mod plus all the store items and a few older looking cars for my Beginning Hoods.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Instructor
#33 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 7:57 AM
Mostly game fixing mods and my adult skins set with the smallest teen woohoo mod plus all the store items and a few older looking cars for my Beginning Hoods.

Why did you throw so much out? Are you a minimalist?

(Just being curious)
Mad Poster
#34 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TychoH
Why did you throw so much out? Are you a minimalist?

(Just being curious)

It was the mad rush after you get new EP's and SP's and you must have all the new shiny's to go with them is all.
For the first 2 years I never used mods or CC at all and once I found sites like Simbology and MTS and sister site to MTS I just started to download like mad.

Well after some time passes in late 2009 or it could have been as late as 2011 I started missing how the game played with no mods from the first 2 years so I started cutting down on CC and mods.

Now my game looks like the original and I love it.

Everyone should try it my way you will be surprise at what happens.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Theorist
#35 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 2:52 PM
I don't regret downloading any mod that has given my sims more autonomy, but have on occasion regretted downloading so many mods that then stripped away their autonomy in other things.

It's funny when you think about, those of us who love our heavily modded games tend to add mods that give our sims more freedom/spontaneity, but then we (at least I do) tend to mod-out their ability to autonomously do most of the random things (a.k.a annoyances) that came with the game (kicky ball, diary writing, hang-out, using the computer 15,000 times in a day for 2 seconds at a time, pillow fighting, auto instrument playing and so on).

It's sending mixed messages really "Go on, do what you want. Wait, but not that."

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Undead Molten Llama
#36 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 3:08 PM
It IS funny, but as far as I'm concerned Maxis was just really silly about some things. And there was some sloppy/broken coding, too. Like, the multiple uses of the computer for two seconds rather than making them sit until, say, their Fun motive is filled. Or Social, if they're chatting. That's probably what was intended, actually, but they screwed it up. And the toddlers autonomously playing in toilets thing IS actually broken code; they're only supposed to do that when in a very bad mood, like "aspiration failure" bad, but Maxis Messed It Up(TM). So, I tend to see taking away THAT sort of "autonomy" as more "fixing what's broken," to make the game more logical.

Mostly, I leave "annoying" autonomous things alone, if they aren't completely illogical or obviously broken. Some people just do annoying things, after all. I think the only thing non-broken behavior I've gotten rid of is autonomously smelling flowers, but this is mostly because I use many things cloned from flower squares in my landscaping -- like the Miasmata-conversion grasses -- so if left to their own devices all my Sims would do nothing but smell flowers, with all that advertising going on.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#37 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 4:36 PM
Agreed, the flower smelling was super annoying and had to go.

Another one that had me *internal screaming* before I modded it out was that blocking out the sun/saluting that was introduced with M&G - the animation just went on way too long. It quickly became irritating when sims would have to run for the carpool due to almost being late for work, but would still find time to block/salute as they ran. Yeah, no thanks.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#38 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 4:57 PM
Hehe, I like the flower smelling - I tend to do that myself (Also plant only fragrant flowers in my garden).
Forum Resident
#39 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 6:50 PM
It was the mad rush after you get new EP's and SP's and you must have all the new shiny's to go with them is all.
For the first 2 years I never used mods or CC at all and once I found sites like Simbology and MTS and sister site to MTS I just started to download like mad.

Well after some time passes in late 2009 or it could have been as late as 2011 I started missing how the game played with no mods from the first 2 years so I started cutting down on CC and mods.

Now my game looks like the original and I love it.

Everyone should try it my way you will be surprise at what happens.

I totally respect that, but I don't think I'd be playing TS2 still if I played without mods! I can't stand the look of the original aesthetic. I also don't like a TON of the autonomous behaviours (like the obsession with swings. I need to remove swings from my apartment lot now because my adult sims WILL NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE). I like to have my game look all pretty and nice to my exact specifications LOL! I do admire maxis-match players like Poppet though, her aesthetic is just gorgeous. I feel like if I wanted to have that blooming cartoony look, I'd do it like that, but she probably uses as much cc as I do to achieve it!

It's what I love about the sims though: the possibilities for customization. We can all have the games that suit us personally!

To answer the question of the thread: I don't regret any mods that I put in my game, although I will say that from time to time I've had to hunt through my ENTIRE buy mode folder to find the one darn thing that's fritzing out everything else. I had a similar situation this week, where I'd added a bunch of objects during a spree and one of them caused crashing (most likely due to overwriting a GUID or conflicting with the ep or some such.) Luckily I've only had to pull out a few folders but out they must go so that I can work out what's causing the issue. Then back in one at a time! Ah well. It's nothing I feel like I can't play without luckily, but I still don't regret downloading - it's all super useful stuff (for me.)

I might look into that Baby Controller too - I can't stand to see the poor little mites left on the kitchen floor while mum and dad wave and howl about how they need 'fun'!
Mad Poster
#40 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 7:57 PM
I don't mind the flower smelling, but hate the animation for it. Seriously - who crawls around on their hands and knees to smell flowers? Especially if they're cacti!

So I used Treeag's mod to replace the animation with the one for "food smells yummy." Much better!
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=325197
Undead Molten Llama
#41 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
I totally respect that, but I don't think I'd be playing TS2 still if I played without mods! I can't stand the look of the original aesthetic. I also don't like a TON of the autonomous behaviours (like the obsession with swings. I need to remove swings from my apartment lot now because my adult sims WILL NOT LEAVE THEM ALONE).

*cough* That's adjustable, you know. You don't have to completely nuke autonomy, you just need to adjust its motive advertising. It's really not hard to do. Well, assuming that you don't play on a Mac and can run SimPE, that is. It's even easier if it's a custom object that's being too "loud."

I have to say that EAxis was extremely lazy about motive advertising in the game, with no consistency at all, which is what results in a lot of weird, obsessive behavior. It is all over the place. I guess maybe it's a result of completely different people working on each EP? Or maybe just a general "I don't care" attitude, I dunno. In any case, some things that really aren't too much fun -- like the swings, for instance -- blare with "I'M FUN! USE ME!" while some things that are actually more fun are really, really "quiet" in that regard, such that they're rarely used. My on-going mission is to make it all make sense. But of course whether or not it makes sense is kinda a personal thing. I might think something's really fun while others would find that thing boring. So, that's why I advocate adjusting things for yourself, if you don't want to nuke things entirely. It's the only way to get what you really want.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
But of course whether or not it makes sense is kinda a personal thing. I might think something's really fun while others would find that thing boring.
I think a reasonable starting point would be that things should advertise based on what they actually provide to the sim using them. If it hardly gives any fun (like swings) it should have a very low advertising, but if it provides a ton of fun (like kicking a flamingo) it should have a very high advertising. Of course, I realize this would probably translate to a bunch of sims obsessively kicking the flamingo? But only until their fun was full, at which point I imagine they'd find something else to do.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 9:09 PM
I don't know, I tend to keep a flamingo around for emergency fun recuperation, and when I go look for it I always find that someone has kicked it over.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 9:24 PM
[QUOTE=RoxEllen1965]I don't mind the flower smelling, but hate the animation for it. Seriously - who crawls around on their hands and knees to smell flowers? Especially if they're cacti!

Me
Mad Poster
#45 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I don't know, I tend to keep a flamingo around for emergency fun recuperation, and when I go look for it I always find that someone has kicked it over.

Any time I want my sims to kick something, I'm very happy for "macro > kick stuff," because it handles the sim setting whatever it is back up again before/after kicking it over. (Unless it's a kick-able object that for some reason macrotastics can't recognize, in which case I'm annoyed.)
Page 2 of 2