Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#51 Old 26th May 2018 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
The difference with Paradox DLC packs in comparison to the things EA pukes out at regular intervals is that, imho, the Paradox packs deliver their money's worth in content, and at least some of the Games do get large expansions as well as smaller DLCs.

Well, if we're talking about Paradox sim games, let's mention Surviving Mars which I've enjoyed a lot (not nearly as much as Subnautica which I've also been playing recently but that's a whole other issue). Paradox has chops with city simulators (see also Cities in Motion which preceeded Cities Skylines). Not sure they would be able to produce such a quality life simulator though. There are a number of city/system sims around but not so much life simulators. Still, if anyone was going to do it, I think Paradox would be an excellent choice.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 26th May 2018 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Okay, I've gotten a bit lost here. Is there a sims game by paradox?

I was kind of joking about CKII, but it is a game that's primarily about characters and their families and their legacy and their story, and it's also a sandbox, so it does scratch the same itch, for me.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 27th May 2018 at 9:13 AM
I've always thought I'd want a new Sims game to have:
1: The art style of 2
2: The gameplay of 2
3: Create A Style from 3
4: Open-World like 3-4
5: Maybe a few building things from 3-4 but mostly like 2

Maybe I'm alone on this haha
Mad Poster
#54 Old 27th May 2018 at 4:27 PM Last edited by gazania : 30th May 2018 at 7:50 PM.
When I first read about Sims 4, I was under the premise that the hoods were like The Urbz .... districts or areas within a hood. Your Sim could travel within the district or area freely and visit houses in that area without cutting to a loading screen, but go outside of it and you would get the screen. We would have the option of adding several more houses and lots within the area, including community lots.

Now The Urbz is console and I was obviously mistaken. You can't visit inside a neighbor's house in Sims 4 without a loading screen, there are no areas or districts, and your options for adding lots and hood deco and personalizing those areas are severely limited. That limitation really impeded my enjoyment of Sims 4.

For me, a semi-open world might have been a good compromise between the open world of Sims 3 and loading screens of lots in Sims 2 hoods, provided there was a way to add custom districts or make custom hoods with districts. I was hoping to see that in Sims 5. However, that may not come to pass, from what we're seeing.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 27th May 2018 at 8:12 PM
One thing I did actually really like from 3 was the trait system, and to some extent the skill diaries, although they were a little RPG-questy. But the bland pudding-face sims could not keep me invested in the game.
Theorist
#56 Old 27th May 2018 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
One thing I did actually really like from 3 was the trait system

I still think they should combine the two systems. The point system from 2 for the five basic aspects (nice vs. grouchy etc) and then five traits that add further characterization like "Commitment Issues" and "Loves the Outdoors" and stuff.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 27th May 2018 at 10:28 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to somehow bring traits to TS2, although modding liklihood of wants and so forth to correspond with traits (and implementing some more core-seeming features of 3 like Loners getting moddlets with alone/with people) seems difficult.
Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 27th May 2018 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I still think they should combine the two systems. The point system from 2 for the five basic aspects (nice vs. grouchy etc) and then five traits that add further characterization like "Commitment Issues" and "Loves the Outdoors" and stuff.

I actually thought the trait system as is could use a point system. So, for example three or five grades of being a loner. 5 (or maybe just 3) is the highest who will run when they even see someone come too close and never leaves the house while 1 would be someone who is fine alone but doesn't mind other sims too much.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 27th May 2018 at 10:53 PM
For me personally they should've made it so you have the old point scale personality system from sims 1 and 2 but then also select up to 3 extra "quirks" and those would be like kleptomaniac, vegetarian, never nude etc. sorta how you select your turn ons & turn offs
Mad Poster
#60 Old 28th May 2018 at 12:11 AM
My silly question: Speaking as someone who is a passionate Simmer, but otherwise not a gamer, what, please what, is a DLC?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
#61 Old 28th May 2018 at 1:11 AM
Downloadable content. Think expansion packs and items from the old Sims 2 store.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 28th May 2018 at 1:11 AM
Downloadable content. It's basically just another term for an expansion or stuff pack.
Top Secret Researcher
#63 Old 28th May 2018 at 1:07 PM
And much, much more... like store packs, items, and now stuffpacks for expansion packs. And that's just Sims franchise. You should see what DLC stands for right now in the whole gaming industry... it's... a scam mostly.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 28th May 2018 at 9:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll continue getting my Downloadable Content from MTS and other free Simmer-run sites. But, since the only game I'm interested in is TS2, and since EA pointedly refuse to sell anything for TS2, I haven't really any other choice, have I?

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:24 PM
EA has finished Sims 2 Support cycle. They have nothing to do with the game itself besides only owning legal rights to it. Which means they CAN do anything they want with it, but that they WONT and don't have any plans to.

But modders are great. One day, when source code gets released, or we get some extremely interested and talented individual with lots of free time on their hands (look up Rhys and FreeSO/Simitone restoration of Sims Onine and original Sims game), I'm sure that that day will be glorious :D
Mad Poster
#66 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:48 PM
I wonder how long will TS2 breath the modding thing/community. Can't it be up to past or at least 50 years ? 20 ? Unless of course a new game beats it out of the water, which it will then in a happily platinum aged grave where hula zombies and grim welcomes it when its time has come

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 29th May 2018 at 2:00 AM
I've given up buying anything from EA after experiencing the end of Sims 3. Everything towards the end seemed like a massive cash grab, and Sims 4 seems to be the same. They seem like they have run out of ideas and are just putting out the same EPs that they put out before to get money ( for example pets and the recently released seasons EP.)

Arkane studios puts out "Immersive Sim" games (Dishonored Series, the recent Prey) too bad they can't put more Sim into that and give people who are sick of EA a viable alternative. (That is the one big downside to EA having a monopoly in Sims like games. No one else has an alternative to buy instead to fill their Sim wants without having to give EA their money.)
Top Secret Researcher
#68 Old 29th May 2018 at 10:03 AM
I have found the end of Sims 3 actually really refreshing. End EPs like University, Island Paradise and Into The Future were feature packed and really amazing. Supernatural as well. I really can't understand how did Sims 4 stoop so low after such feature packed and quite literally amazing expansions!

I still prefer Sims 2, as unlike sims 3, it has some sense of connectivity and is not a pain in the ass to run.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 29th May 2018 at 11:57 AM
Quote:

It does not take much actually right now to make traits viable (although not affecting gameplay)-All you need to do is 'translate' some of the information in the 'interests', hobbies, and personality sitting in Sims 2 right now.

For example, "Loves Nature"-that describes a 'nature' hobbyist. A Romance Sim almost always has 'commitment issues', and some of the zodiac sign traits are pretty much descriptive of other traits like "grouchy' and "a loner'.

So one can use the traits from 3 to incorporate into 2, but it does take some imagination. Too bad we can't expand the system in 2 to actually do anything with them.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Theorist
#70 Old 29th May 2018 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
It does not take much actually right now to make traits viable (although not affecting gameplay)-All you need to do is 'translate' some of the information in the 'interests', hobbies, and personality sitting in Sims 2 right now.

For example, "Loves Nature"-that describes a 'nature' hobbyist. A Romance Sim almost always has 'commitment issues', and some of the zodiac sign traits are pretty much descriptive of other traits like "grouchy' and "a loner'.

So one can use the traits from 3 to incorporate into 2, but it does take some imagination. Too bad we can't expand the system in 2 to actually do anything with them.

Oh definitely!

I was thinking more along the lines of offering an extra level of customization in addition to the points and Aspirations. Like a Romance Sim who has the Trait "Commitment Issues" would roll different wants from one who is a "Hopeless Romantic" (the first would be the classical 2 Romance Sim like Don Lothario, the second one would be more of a monogamist who hopes to find and hold onto one partner they share a deep love with) likewise a family Sim with commitment issues might ot want to marry, but would be very interested in interactions with, and the well-being of their brothers/sisters, nieces and nephews and might even want to have kids without getting married.

I do incorporate them somewhat into 2 anyways, like when I play Pleasantview, I tend to play Nina Caliente and Bella Goth as the "hopeless romantic" variation. But it would be nice to have it actually be part of the gameplay and be able to get random traits upon the Sim aging up so that I might be more obviously suprised by the way my Sims develop.

Mad Poster
#71 Old 30th May 2018 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
EA has finished Sims 2 Support cycle. They have nothing to do with the game itself besides only owning legal rights to it. Which means they CAN do anything they want with it, but that they WONT and don't have any plans to.
What I don't understand is why, if you own the exclusive rights to the best computer game yet made, you would refuse to sell it. It may be that most people who would want The Sims 2 have already got it. So there's probably not a huge amount of money still to be made from it. But even a small revenue stream is better than nothing. Instead of giving it away free to people who jump through the right hoops, why not sell the UC for a small charge? They could still give it free to people whose discs were damaged.

EA must have allocated some developer time to recent tweaks to the UC to help it to run better under Windows 10, which is quite good considering they give it away free and derive no income at all from it. Presumably fixing it was cheaper than answering support calls. So maybe, just perhaps, if they had a little current revenue from The Sims 2, they could pay somebody to try to fix the VBTs, or, at the very least, disable the "Destroy my game now" buttons.

I know that EA's greed is legendary, but personally, because I came so late to it, I got my game for next to nothing. The cost was certainly minimal (little more than £10 in total) in comparison to the endless hours of pleasure it has given me. I bought my last EP (University) second hand. I would undoubtedly have bought it new (and paid substantially more for it) if EA had only been willing to sell it to me.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#72 Old 30th May 2018 at 12:23 PM
My guess is they don't want people to know older but better Sims games exist. They want the casual gamer market and to put out as many mini packs as possible. Probably because it's less work and more profit. Yet if they updated Sims 2 with good graphics, removed the VBT and added some more EP's they could make a killing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#73 Old 30th May 2018 at 3:42 PM
There is, of course, the alternative: a simple marketing idea. Keep the sims 2 players around - they are loyal, have bought tons of expansion and stuff packs - we may convince them to move on to Sims 4.
Every time I sign into Origin, the first thing I see is Sims 4!
Theorist
#74 Old 30th May 2018 at 3:55 PM
Or they just consider us impossible to please, because with the current resources and effort they are willing to put into a Sims Game (i.e. next to nothing) we pretty much are. We won't accept anything that's of lower quality than Sims 2. That's a hard standard to measure up to.

Top Secret Researcher
#75 Old 30th May 2018 at 4:16 PM
UC is still free. I don't understand why would TS4 appeal more when there is a whole, fully finished and more invovling game available for free.
Page 3 of 4