Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2018 at 8:50 PM
Default What's the biggest mistake you've made in TS2?
Gameplay-wise, building, modding, whatever goes.

Several months back I had a Sim who was working his way up in crafting robots. He built a bunch of those little cleaning bots, and I decided to have him keep one for use around the house. I set it to go off and do its thing, and then switched to another floor and was paying attention to my Sim's wife and their young kids.

I flip back to the second floor and lo and behold, my Sim is dying and there is trash everywhere, covering the entire floor. I had no clue that the little bot could malfunction.

I'm not normally one to do this, but I was really upset at the loss of this Sim, so I had another Sim in the 'hood use one of her genie wishes to resurrect him, and luckily it was a success (although I had to build his relationship with his wife back up). He and his wife ended up with one more kid and they lived full, happy lives.

In hindsight, I should've been paying much more attention. Of course something like this could come out botched, it's TS2!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th May 2018 at 9:16 PM
i think i've done nearly all of the VBTs which is a mistake

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Scholar
#3 Old 18th May 2018 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emerald1234
i think i've done nearly all of the VBTs which is a mistake
I've done a few of them myself, before I knew they were VBTs and that I should avoid them at all costs. Thankfully they only destroyed hoods - I've never broken the full installation!

Modding? Strangely, with the exception of my catalog edits, all of them have been to FIX a problem, such as "hide that awful outfit and can't find a suitable hider anywhere" or "fix that default replacement, pronto!" However, as I made all my Holiday items collection-only I had to remember to add the collection file.. otherwise no Santa or Christmas trees for anyone!

NOT backing up my hoods in a timely fashion... try total laptop borkage and only a factory reset could fix it... I lost a long-standing hood through that and was upset that I had no choice in the matter. However, it was that or a dead laptop!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
#4 Old 18th May 2018 at 10:18 PM
Trying to make the Grim Reaper a biology student in a dorm. A minute later, I was having to reach for the uninstall button...
Alchemist
#5 Old 18th May 2018 at 10:23 PM
I used the make all friends for me cheat. The notifications after the relationships began to decay were unrelenting. I later heard that the cheat isn't even safe because it makes your Sim friends with NPCs, although that might not be true.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th May 2018 at 10:51 PM
Back in the day, the networking options that come with OFB for owners to make friends with friends of friends or whatever (can't remember off the top of my head, I've not used the option in years), I was on a computer that could not handle that-- so every time I needed to make a phone call with that sim, it took about ten minutes to find the person I wanted to call, because I knew so many people I had to sort by friendship level and it took a good five minutes to sort.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 18th May 2018 at 11:08 PM
Forgetting to back up downloads when I had to buy a new computer. I had backed up everything else so that I could play from where I left off but my downloads were all gone.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th May 2018 at 11:27 PM
In 2006-2007 I pasted a backed up hood over a game hood on a new computer since I didn't know you had to delete then paste. On that install I also used the delete all characters cheat and did the all friends cheat ugg! I had a nanny spawn with a grey mohawk from that cheat My worst mistake since it affected others was post a messy house complete with sim on the exchange. It was part of a challenge I wrote and people I knew downloaded that house... :/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th May 2018 at 11:30 PM
along with "make all friends", I once resurrected a very old (and unknown to me, extremely corrupted) hood.
It was so bad that I had to nearly delete my downloads until I realized it had copies of everyone in the hood twice over....I deleted and threw away that hood so fast that I think my hard drive had a hiccup.
That's about the extent, although from time to time the game will throw me a warning sign like it did not more than a month ago to keep those download numbers in check. I spent a very tense weekend trying to fix my game. It was very close to dead but I pushed it through.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th May 2018 at 11:34 PM
Well, I did once use "deleteallcharacters" in an attempt to make a clean hood. But I learned that that was a Bad Thing shortly thereafter and deleted the hood before anything went seriously wrong with it. And I guess I must have done something wrong in my old hood, because certain lots starts crashing and I had to start over, but I never figured out what had caused the problem. It might have been some missing and possibly unlinked tombstones, but by the time this happened, everyone who had known those sims was long dead.

Gameplay-wise, I once had a sim use dazzle too many times on an owned business lot, not realizing that it used a lot of energy. The sim ran out of energy, and was stuck in an endless loop of succumbing to energy failure and then failing to succumb to energy failure because sleeping is not allowed on community lots. I couldn't give him any commands, I couldn't leave the lot, nothing. I think that was the only time I ever cheated up someone's motives.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th May 2018 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
My worst mistake since it affected others was post a messy house complete with sim on the exchange. It was part of a challenge I wrote and people I knew downloaded that house... :/

But we all did that early on - the Exchange was a glorious soup of risky borkiness - but we just didn't know any better. I remade Little Carping from scratch in 2007 and the reason was because we'd just started to find out about the mess left behind from deleting sims (dangling SWAFs ftw!). It was at that time that we were really first able to make neighbourhoods and keep them for long periods. Ugh. Before that I certainly deleted sims and lived in lots from Little Carping (mk1). I've been very careful since. Early on we also had things like the sim limit per neighbourhood being very low that you nearly filled it up just loading NPCs (and with the later EPs, you would have got close to the playable limit if they hadn't changed it). That caused all sorts of weird shit too. Little Carping was made with empty templates and I further cleaned the files before I even loaded the first sim.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th May 2018 at 12:55 AM
True, it probably wasn't known about yet, especially not on the exchange. I still felt bad about it though. Also a shame I never made that lot without a sim, it was my first decently built house.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#13 Old 19th May 2018 at 2:43 AM
I turned it on and played it.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#14 Old 19th May 2018 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo

Now how is that a mistake?

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
#15 Old 19th May 2018 at 4:59 AM
Deleted a well established (about a year and a half old) hood over an issue that turned out to not cause corruption. A sim was stuck on vacation.

Then the same issue cropped up in my new version of the hood which I then knew how to fix.
Sorry to the brick house vamps, now you exist solely in my memories.
Scholar
#16 Old 19th May 2018 at 11:25 AM
making several of my sims have grim reaper babies;i spawned him on the lot....as well as other npcs like that

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 19th May 2018 at 12:20 PM
My biggest mistake is probably not keeping my old saves that were on my old computer. I sometimes wanna go back for the sake of nostalgia (and to laugh at how bad I was at building and making Sims )
Field Researcher
#18 Old 20th May 2018 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
Now how is that a mistake?
I'll just repeat something I've said before on the subject: RIP life.

As for my biggest mistake... I'll have to agree with DezzyBoo: turning on and playing the game, because once again, RIP life.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Mad Poster
#19 Old 20th May 2018 at 9:30 AM
The biggest mistake was buying the first disk..then the next, and the next...
Now all I have is a complete set and what else do I have to do besides play it?

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th May 2018 at 2:20 PM
I have a Ph.d in VBT because I didn't know they were bad for many years. I routinely, for example, would stick occupied houses in lot bins so I could move them to other hoods.

But, I think the worst thing I ever did was have one of my sims marry Santa Claus. It was sad. He would just walk back and forth on the lawn all day, disappear at night (I guess to deliver toys) and show up the next day to repeat his pacing. In that same family (because when i'm stupid I go all out), I randomly (don't know how) got one of the NPC drivers to show up, and yep, married him into the fam. he just stood there like a brick for days. So, I....deleted him. I don't think that hood lasted much longer after that.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th May 2018 at 3:43 PM
That's sad-especially since he was cheating on Mrs. Claus! (but funny that anyone would do such a thing...)

Mad Poster
#22 Old 20th May 2018 at 5:15 PM
I think I would have to say downloading an occupied lot from the Exchange once. It was the only thing I ever downloaded before I joined MTS and the consequences scared the hell out of me
I have, in the beginning, moved occupied lots into the bin and back, mostly because they were where I wanted to build something else.
I have sold some houses because the ghosts were getting on my nerves.
Some protection is built into the vanilla game - there is no way you can marry Santa, interact with Crumplebottom or a driver, etc. without using boolprop testing cheats - so I actually never did any of those things (not for a lack of trying, though). when i was still playing the vanilla game.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 20th May 2018 at 7:37 PM

I don't get it.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 20th May 2018 at 8:16 PM
Many years back I hit "make me know everyone" on the mailbox and suffered never ending phone calls at 4pm every day from all the sims berating the poor lady I made know everyone for not calling them! It was every day nonstop... I had to delete the house phone AND her mobile!

Also the time I wanted to throw a massive party so I clicked "invite all neighbors" on the mailbox. This was on a 5x5 lot with a ton of stuff on it already, so by the time my game managed to spawn all the sims in the well-populated neighborhood I was playing, it had slowed to a crawl. The actual party guests who were invited showed up in the midst of this and as soon as the party timer notification popped up, the game crashed. Never again.
Page 1 of 4