Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 3:35 PM
Oval Office Rugs
Oval Office Rugs
Hello all,

I reached out to Shino&KCR a while ago, concerning the conversion of their Oval Office Rug from the Sims 3 to the Sims 2. Shino&KCR were very gracious in answering my request, and emailed the conversion to me. However, the rug has a glitch that makes the rendering of the rug go in and out in the game. It also has a weird border around it, which is not present on other rugs in the game. I changed it from DXT5 format to DXT3 format, but I am still having the same issue. I reached out to Shino&KCR, but they were not able to fix the issue because they no longer have the Sims 2 installed. Please help me if you can. I have done a few recolors, but meshing and modeling is out of my league!
Screenshots
Screenshots
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 5:14 PM
This issue is the z-index, the height of the mesh. Probably too close to the ground and/or a shadow mesh at the wrong location. If you'd like to share the link to the dl I can see if I can fix it for you. Or have them move the mesh to match a mesh that already works in the sims 2.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
This issue is the z-index, the height of the mesh. Probably too close to the ground and/or a shadow mesh at the wrong location. If you'd like to share the link to the dl I can see if I can fix it for you. Or have them move the mesh to match a mesh that already works in the sims 2.

Thank you so much. I asked Shino&KCR of TSR to convert this from TS3 to TS2, but they could not offer technical support for the rug if it didn't display correctly. They gave me permission to have someone else work on it to fix the rendering issue. Here is the original mesh.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Oval Office Rug.zip (184.4 KB, 28 downloads) - View custom content
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 7:52 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 23rd Dec 2017 at 5:26 AM.
(Sorry for intruding HL!!)
Yeah, the mesh was sitting at right at ground level. So, fixed now. And I fixed the border issue for you too. (Well, it *should* be fixed I didn't check it in game.. so if that border is still there let me know.)
Note: I didn't raise the mesh that much as it's just a plane - which means that if it were viewed from the bottom you'd see nothing (it'd be invisible as there's no texture to the bottom of the mesh) - BUT it should be high enough to get rid of the glitchiness.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
(Sorry for intruding HL!!)
Yeah, the mesh was sitting at right at ground level. So, fixed now. And I fixed the border issue for you too. (Well, it *should* be fixed I didn't check it in game.. so if that border is still there let me know.)
Note: I didn't raise the mesh that much as it's just a plane - which means that if it were viewed from the bottom you'd see nothing (it'd be invisible as there's no texture to the bottom of the mesh) - BUT it should be high enough to get rid of the glitchiness.

Thank you! The glitching has stopped, but now i have an invisible rectangle!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 5:21 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 23rd Dec 2017 at 5:33 AM.
Oh, good grief! Yeah, you would. I changed the wrong thing. Sorry - let me fix that. (BRB)
http://simfil.es/397961
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 6:43 AM
Oh, good grief! Yeah, you would. I changed the wrong thing. Sorry - let me fix that. (BRB)
http://simfil.es/397961

YAYYYYYYYY! Thank you so much! It still had a weird rendering where the rug was invisible until you zoomed in. I imported the original alpha channel and its fixed! Still has that weird rectangle shadow but no worries!! Thank you so much!!!!!!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 1:28 PM
You could fix the zooming in thing if you want - just delete all of the smaller mipmaps in the TXTR, leaving just the biggest. In theory doing that will make someone's computer work harder to render the texture properly - BUT since this is a really simple mesh with a not-too-huge texture, I wouldn't worry about that. (You could actually make the texture smaller if you want to, I know I would for any recolors.)

The shadow? There is no shadow mesh and I removed the TXTR and TXMT (and the entries in the GMND and SHPE) for it so there shouldn't be any type of shadow. Is your alpha true black and white? If not, that could be causing the shadow you're seeing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 11:09 PM
You could fix the zooming in thing if you want - just delete all of the smaller mipmaps in the TXTR, leaving just the biggest. In theory doing that will make someone's computer work harder to render the texture properly - BUT since this is a really simple mesh with a not-too-huge texture, I wouldn't worry about that. (You could actually make the texture smaller if you want to, I know I would for any recolors.)

The shadow? There is no shadow mesh and I removed the TXTR and TXMT (and the entries in the GMND and SHPE) for it so there shouldn't be any type of shadow. Is your alpha true black and white? If not, that could be causing the shadow you're seeing.

The rug is rendering perfectly now! Thank you so much! Now I have to tackle building the White House! Oh boy!