Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:32 AM
I'm a good girl, I am cleaning out my download folder right at this moment.

The True Story. My game kept crashing. I tried everything, I fifty/fifty until my eyes started crossing. In this state, I accidentally deleted one of Becks horses, which borked everything. So I deleted everything, neighbourhoods, downloads to start again. But now I'm finding so many conflicts. They was always there, but before I didn't care, so now I got to decide what goes and stays. The modders make it more difficult, because every week (day?) so many lovely nice new things to add to the game. But I am working on it. Well I was, until EA updated Origin, and updated my game as well. Now I have the disappearing food bug, I haven't seen that in over a decade. Thanks EA, always "helping" Simmers in the most unfortunate way.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:37 AM
I just shoved in some Piggi build recolours and a couple of mods... the fact i removed the rar files this time counts, right?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#28 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 2:19 AM
Well, cleaning it out...nah.

But I've been slowly going through and cleaning up the files themselves. Messy filenames, miscategorized objects, typos in the description, custom foods that add 50 extra pie menus to the fridge, all that sort of thing. It's a slow process though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 9:29 AM
I have a lot of things I don't need but I never know the file name and don't recognize them when looking at my downloads folder. Also I often download lots with objects that I don't need but I don't know how to get rid of them without deleting the whole lot package.
Scholar
#30 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 11:12 AM
i would but...i procrastinate too much and i think there is about more than a thousand files so yeah i have tried though making folders like this:
cc (i can't identify)
building
objects
mods
hood deco
hair
clothing
3to2 stuff
make-up
when i load up delphys download organizer it briefly shows a list but then i just see a blue backround for the program so i don't how to clean m downloads quicker

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Inventor
#31 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 12:43 PM
My only purpose for cleaning out my downloads folder is to get rid of hairs that are missing meshes. Fortunately there's just a few so no biggie. Otherwise, everything is fine as it is, and I haven't had problems with glitches due to clashing hacks.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Scholar
#32 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 3:29 PM
Plan to? Yes

Actually got on and done it? Hell no... some of it's organized, the rest... laughs uncontrollably.
There are a few bits I want to actually bin though... it's just finding them and actually doing so...

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
#33 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 9:10 PM
I don't clean my download folder, but I deliberately don't allow more than 5 GB of my content to be in the game folder at once. The rest sits in an archive folder. Every few months, I change over some of my files for ones in the archive. There are some files that never move - mostly mods that are important to how I play, files that could cause problems if removed from an active neighbourhood without warning, or cosmetic content needed for certain of my Sims to maintain their typical styles. However, most of my files get swapped out every so often to keep my game fresh and exciting, and to prevent loading times to be impeded overmuch by files I never use.

Also, Sims have to go on shopping sprees to replace some of their missing furniture, which is occasionally helpful if I feel they are in a rut. (Don't worry; they are compensated fully for their trouble).
Meet Me In My Next Life
#34 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:01 PM
Gee, one time I was thinking I am going CRAZY here I would go through my downloads to removed what I really don't need or use often.
I then make an extra folder to place the downloads in to re-check again to make sure I no longer want them before any deletion is finally done.

What happen is I would end of telling myself like "oh I better keep this or that just incase I need it" what happen with using that system is I always ended up getting rid of nothing just nothing.
So now I don't do that anymore I Just pull out whatever downloads I don't really need or use anymore and say goodbye and off to the Trash Bin.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:10 PM
Just put them in a folder on your desktop. No need to toss things unless you don't like them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#36 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:22 PM
I have a folder on my desktop called 'Do I want' for things I'm not sure about. I stick stuff in there and if it's still in there 6 months later, I know I don't want it and can delete.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#37 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 5:42 AM
If I find stuff on my hard drive that's still not in the game after six months, it's because I forgot that I downloaded it in the first place. (It's one of the hazards of binge-downloading huge batches of CC.) Some of it's pretty neat stuff too!
Forum Resident
#38 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 8:27 AM
My in-game Downloads folder for my medieval 'hood is currently fairly organized, but that's only because I started a fresh game folder a few months ago and completely rebuilt the downloads before creating the 'hood.

Most of the cc I have is in a separate archive, and I've been slowly organizing that for the past couple of years - my goal is to have each zipped download in it's own folder along with saved images and a text file of any instructions, list of meshes needed, known conflicts.... Most of the things I've downloaded since I started that project are in an organized set of nested folders, but I still have some things in a catch all folder called "Sims 2 misc" which has unidentified things from my old computer. When I created the medieval 'hood, I used a test setup and went through my archive to pick a set of cc to test in chunks. On each load of the test 'hood, I went through a selection of cc and deleted the things I didn't want or made notes of what to delete from outside the game. Each load was quite small, and I tended to focus on one category per load - floors, walls, appliances, theme of clutter.... After I trimmed the cc to my favorites (I still kept too many recolours), I put the cc into an appropriately named folder and made sure that file names didn't have troublesome characters. I then put that into a temporary folder while I tested more cc. Since starting the new medieval 'hood, I've added a few more things and I made sure that the files were sorted as I put them in the Downloads folder. I'm currently doing the same thing to rebuild my modern game setup as I want to use a different palette, new clutter, and some other building sets. My old modern setup hasn't been played in a few months and I've archived the two neighbourhoods and their downloads folder as it existed when I last played it in case I get a desire later to play with the old mix of cc.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Just put them in a folder on your desktop. No need to toss things unless you don't like them.

Actually i'm backing up the folder first and then remove the things I don't need or really care about out of it. I had also mentioned that I have default replacements that messes up the outfits that share the same Maxis meshes duplicates of the same outfits,missing meshes and also there are some female child outfits that are categorized for boys that I want to get rid of or fix but they're mostly just default replacements and that's why I said that i'm planning on cleaning up my download folder.
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 1:09 AM
*Sees title of thread*
*Laughs hysterically-tears form in eyes*
No, no I do not. I have 6.84 GB of CC. I had 6.85 GB but upon upgrading to windows 10 and starting over realized I could get rid of something i've been wishing I could but I couldn't because it was something that added NPCs...and then something in my downloads wouldn't let the game load...traced it to some bookshelves. Not sure what happened. So now it's 6.84. I try to be much pickier about cc I add now though like "Do I realllly need this?" "Do I need more recolors of this object?" "Do I really need more kids clothing?" and say no more often, but sometimes the answer will still be yes, yes I do need more XD

My Simblr
He/They
Forum Resident
#41 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 6:50 PM
My downloads folder is very organized, I like things in order. I consistently remove content that I haven't used within a year to make room for new things. I normally do a clean up like this several times a year, which also includes going through my downloads folder with the Clean Installer looking for duplicate meshes. I have to stay within a certain limit for my game to function optimally, so when I want to add something, as a rule something must be removed to make room. I'm a pack rat so I never delete anything, I store it all on numerous USB flash drives. More often than not I end up wanting something that I removed. I also make backup copies of my download folder at least 2-3 times a year. When I can afford it I'm going to buy an external hard drive to store my 100 GB of CC that I have saved and can't bring myself to get rid of. Now that I think about it, it's my flash drives that need cleaning up because I am certain there are some objects that I have more than one copy of.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 5:30 AM
I'm starting to go through it when the mood takes me, and I'm cleaning out some super old CC I never use.

Back when I first started playing, I knew CC went into your downloads folder. So I would unzip the files, and put the package files in my download folder. No subfolders. No order. No organization. Most of them nonsense file names like "jasdasjh785318" or the highly descriptive "red dress".

At one point, I was having a CC issue, and learned about the 50/50 thing. So I split them in folders. Fixed that issue. And just kind of left it. 10 years later, I still have random files in subfolders labeled "2" and "1E" and "1D". The new stuff is all organized, but I figure, if it's not broke...
Forum Resident
#43 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 7:08 PM
Sometimes I renamed things so I'll know what it is. I also will shorten the names if they are too long and also add color information. I fully believe in customizing your downloads folder so that you know what's in it and where it is.
Scholar
#44 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 8:47 PM
i think i have 9,385 items so erm...no

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#45 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 9:00 PM

Actually, on second thought, maybe it'd be a good idea to clean it out a bit.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#46 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Actually, on second thought, maybe it'd be a good idea to clean it out a bit.

I can relate to your amount of decorative items. I have that many fruit bowls alone, and I never use fruit bowls. But for some reason, I collect them.

My downloads folder is about to reach critical mass. It could go nova at any moment!
Field Researcher
#47 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 9:59 PM
I SWORE I was going to keep my downloads folder organized when the UC came out. No more download-binge-file-dropping messes for me. But, of course, my downloads folder is a mess now. If I wasn't so lazy, I could organize it using WW, Delphy's Organizer, Tooltip generator, etc. but that takes a bit. I have 7.33 GBs worth of downloads, which isn't a HUGE amount, but I need to cut down on some recolors because TS2 is NOT happy when you have a lot clogging up the catalog. Right now I have so many saved sims that it crashes once I view a lot of them. I wish we had a 64 bit version of TS2. That would've been nice with the UC.

Speaking of cutting down on recolors, how do you guys decide which colors you want to keep? I'm so bad at having 6 different kinds of green because one has a white undershirt and the other has a gray one. Or maybe one is more teal than the other.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#48 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 10:45 PM
Dang and here I am with no fruit bowls, well apart from xnem's and that actually works.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#49 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 10:45 PM
I organize my CC with subfolders in the Downloads, and that's how I can easily determine which CC I want anymore without any serious spelunking. Lately though I noticed a couple CC will need sorting as they're in wrong subfolders, but with Clean Installer that won't be difficult.

I also created a few subfolders within my desktop's main folder, one of which is for CC I don't use anymore but still hold onto, and another for downloaded content in their zipped folders. The latter subfolder is honestly more cluttered than my Sims 2 downloads folder by a long shot.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#50 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Dang and here I am with no fruit bowls, well apart from xnem's and that actually works.

You have no idea what you're missing out on; there are times when you just need a pear that's a large as a pineapple.
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...-Dec.-15-23.jpg
Page 2 of 4