Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#51 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 11:01 AM
Maybe not actual sliders (it might glitch the animations), but a number of predetermined heights would be amazing.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#52 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 5:08 PM
This is an older thread but I've been playing TS3 again and had a few more thoughts:

1. I'm starting to get to like the moodlets. So I'd keep them, and implement them a bit more closely with the aspiration system.

2. Perhaps different difficulty levels, which effect things such as motive decay and finances. I imagine each part would be separately toggleable though, so you could give your Sims gigantic bills and extremely slow motive decay.

3. Not developed by EA.

4. Horses.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#53 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 7:00 PM
It would be interesting to know what everyone's dream game would be, not just from the TS2 fan base. As for difficulty level, how about a setting in option of a slider or buttons, and with maybe more flexibility:

* Ease, Medium, Hard, Hardcore
** Financially (bill cost, job payout, living-off-home).
** Motives.
** Danger/Harzourd (easier to kill and vulnerability to death).
** Etc.

Also, very flexible story progression. Rotational-friendly and Progression-friendly (on and off switch). Toggles for everything, from birth/adoption to death/metamorphosis.

Honestly, combining all iterations from the Sims series into one game would be my dream game.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#54 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
This is an older thread but I've been playing TS3 again and had a few more thoughts:

1. I'm starting to get to like the moodlets. So I'd keep them, and implement them a bit more closely with the aspiration system.

2. Perhaps different difficulty levels, which effect things such as motive decay and finances. I imagine each part would be separately toggleable though, so you could give your Sims gigantic bills and extremely slow motive decay.

3. Not developed by EA.

4. Horses.

That alone would make the game 10x the game TS4 is.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Field Researcher
#55 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 10:30 PM
3. Not developed by EA.
Yes, I'm sure what I'd want in a game could never have the phrase "The Sims" on it.

I'd definitely like to add to the conversation with some things that I know I'll be disagreed with on, some things that probably haven't been mentioned before, and things that probably just won't happen.
  1. Works on Linux without emulators.
  2. Has a 'low graphics' option for those of us that use computers on a budget.
  3. Doesn't require any internet connection at all and it's possible to play the full game on a computer without a network card.
  4. Simulated characters aren't "simulated humans", even if they look very close to us. No, they don't need to look totally alien, either.
  5. To solve overall disagreements on time being realistic enough or not, a totally different time system is used. As in, different lengths of year, weeks, even the day itself.
  6. I definitely agree with everyone else who wants service job careers and height sliders. Imagine if there are no police until someone takes the police officer job for example.
  7. Easy to mod, and encouraged.
  8. Most importantly, the game isn't thrown out the window for good as soon as 'Game 2/3/+' is released.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 11:03 PM
A massive amalgamation of the first 3 iterations including the candy buy\build mode items from Katy Perry Sweet Treats (I've been meaning to do a Candy Witch's house like Hansel and Gretel) along with TS4 and CaSt, lots of options in Create-A-Sim, traits, enter a birthday, preteen and middle aged age stages, favorites and content add-on packs jam-packed with content.

If we can convince Will Wright and the favored SimGurus this community adores to oversee it, it would be a bonsu. (Bonsu? = Common typo my dad made as an accountant from his branch raking in money that bonuses were common. Nowadays it's an icing on the cake type of term to say that it would be very nice if it happened)

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#57 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
There's a lot I want to see in a "dream" Sims game... but when asked to list them out, I'm always speechless. Don't know why.

I guess there's too much to comprehend and recall because there are too many ideas? Especially when I could write them down, but see no point because there's no way to put it to use This is why I'm inspired to become a modder, because some ideas are possible to turn them into a reality.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#58 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Katy Perry Sweet Treats (I've been meaning to do a Candy Witch's house like Hansel and Gretel)

Would she wear a cupcake bra?

Undead Molten Llama
#59 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 2:09 PM
Honestly? I have my dream game: TS2 + the carefully curated cocktail of mods and CC that I use to tweak it into exactly what I want. Sure, there are a few graphical things I'd change if I could, but ultimately they're not the important things. In the end, no game developer would ever be able to make a game that will make me (let alone everyone else!) 100% happy, and I would never expect them to do so. In fact, I wouldn't TRUST them to do so; they'd likely just do it wrong and piss me off. IMO, all that developers need to do is to make games easily moddable. They'll never please everyone, and they know it, but they ought to make it easy for players to please themselves, and the Sims games seem to do that quite well.

All that said, I didn't read the whole thread, but I did read a few posts mentioning wanting traits. I know some TS2 players sort of manually incorporate them into their game to add to their Sims' "stories," and that's cool, but as they are implemented in TS3? I dislike them greatly. The IDEA is fine; the implementation is, IMO, awful. The thing is that TS3's traits are purely binary. Either a Sim has them, or they don't, and there's nothing in between. And the way a Sim who has a trait expresses that trait is generally cartoonily exaggerated...or, on the other side, it doesn't appear to do anything at all, aside from occasionally giving them a moodlet in certain situations. (And I'm not a fan of the moodlet system, either.)

So, I dislike the trait system. I prefer TS2's system of points to create personalities because nothing is binary. Everything is degrees, which is far more realistic. Sure, I might wish there were more personality sliders, but I get that there's probably a finite number possible for AI-programming purposes, and really? Even with just the five that TS2 has, there's a huge range of personalities that it's possible to make, especially if you tinker with the "sliders" in debug mode so that you can have Sims with very few points up to all the points. I suppose a hybrid system of "sliders" plus traits might be OK, but really? I'm cynical enough at this point to believe that the implementation of such would be completely awful. The KISS Principle ("Keep it simple, stupid") applies, I think.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#60 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 3:07 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but I read iCad's post... and I agree.

I played TS1 a long while ago. It was quite unique back them but TS2 simply beat it in all aspects.
It's a wonderful game and there is so much to add - as you tweak it to your taste - that I haven't nearly finished to set up my game. There are so many years of gameplay left here.
So I never cared to buy TS3. I did try TS4 (the trial version in Origin) but I uninstall it before the trial expired. Might be a good game, but it is NOT TS2. I mean, what was I thinking when I installed it? A new shiny TS2? Well, heck, yes, that was what I was expecting - so unrealistic of me, I know.

To be honest, that would be my perfect Sims game: an improved version of TS2.
Pretty much the same game, but with all the new technology improving it. Maybe better graphics, for sure faster loading.
And I would like a more user-friendly way to customize it. We have so many mods, it would be great if they could be labeled (so the label appear in an in-game menu) and you could enable/disable individually or change the settings in case you want.

And because I'm a huge fan of TS2 genetics, probably I would make them even more detailed.
For example that facial features are not just mommy's-nose-or-daddy's-nose, I would that the kids could get any value in-between the two (as happens with the skintone).
Mad Poster
#61 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:13 PM
I just want the shiny stuff from Sims 3 like horses and just about everything from Island Paradise.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:59 PM
Would she wear a cupcake bra?

Well, I don't know. I was only aiming for the sweets-based decor, furniture and interactive objects.

Most of the stuff linked to Katy Perry probably won't make the cut due to license\copyright issues. If we were to add back directly Katy Perry-related anything, it would probably cost more than originally planned back when the add-ons were in production.

Although, it would be inappropriately funny like a Gong Show act.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#63 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:45 PM
LGR's review of that pack was absolutely hilarious, though.

Field Researcher
#64 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 7:00 PM Last edited by Liza : 16th Jul 2018 at 11:10 AM.
My ideal sim game is: the graphic style of Sims 2. I mean the game should look realistic, but the characters can express emotions slightly exaggerated. But the game should look modern. Developers should try as Maxis in 2004.
According to the game process: it should be an additional version of Sims 2 with some features Sims 3: CAST, horses, surfing, houseboats.
I do not know about the world. I'm not against a closed world - the main thing is for the game to be loaded quickly, and to be able to walk everywhere. I'm not against the open world - the main thing is that it was optimized. The game must be easily modifiable.

I think who will create a game that unites many wishes of the fans here, will get great profits and great fame.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 7:29 PM
My ideal Sims game: One that works with every damn update of W10. :')
Mad Poster
#66 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 10:01 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 15th Jul 2018 at 10:34 PM.
Well, I would like the aesthetics of 4 with the endless possibilities like 3. I'm sorry, but the uncanny valley is creeping me out. It just doesn't fit with the other aesthetics.

@Liza, why can't it be a woman who creates the masterpiece? I have a background of gaming since I was 3. I lived through the Edutainment era in the early to mid 1990s. I used to make skins for TS1 but never posted because I wasn't up to snuff. I am great at designing lots of things because in videogames, you need to make everything because you get nothing for free.

To say "he" seems to enforce that toxic environment that led to GamerGate. To assume that a woman is incapable of coordinating such a project is sexist and the majority of Simmers are female.

I find the assumption that "girls don't know anything about tech" is just plain prejudice. When it was trendy to have an email address, a website and use a cellphone, girls adopted to it and it was trendy and was a leap forward. In fact, it was Japanese schoolgirls who lead the revolution of cell phone usage worldwide.

For girls like myself who grew up playing male protagonists, like the Trainer in Gen I and part of Gen II of Pokémon, I was glad that Pokémon Crystal allowed for a female characters. Truth be told, there was supposed to be a female option in the beginning but it was scrapped.

I've been planning a game with the stuff I dream of and more on and off since about 2 years ago, before I vacated the house in Washington. I heard numerous complaints about toddlers, pools, hoses, and various things over the course of the 2 years.

I will prove that I am equal in game design.

Undead Molten Llama
#67 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Well, I would like the aesthetics of 4 with the endless possibilities like 3. I'm sorry, but the uncanny valley is creeping me out. It just doesn't fit with the other aesthetics.

I dunno, I don't really see "endless possibilities" in 3. TS2 is the true sandbox game. TS3 tried to be all things to all people and ended up being...well, buggy mush. TS4 obviously shows its roots as a game that was initially intended to be mobile-only, as I'm sure TS5 will be, if there is a TS5. Anyway, yeah, there are lots of things you can do in 3, but there are lots of things that aren't so easy to do. Like, creating your own world, which to me is THE most important thing. Yeah, you CAN do it with the Create-A-World thing for TS3, but that's an outside program. You can't easily do it right in game, and I've never liked that. With 2, you only needed an outside tool if you wanted an entirely new, custom map. And for me 3's gameplay is a little overwhelming. I think the devs at the time had a sort of "let's throw everything at them!" attitude, and while it does make for lots of possibilities, it's also a little crazy and "too much" if you have all the EPs installed at once. When I play TS3, I generally only play it with a few EPs at a time installed so that I can concentrate on those EPs' features. Otherwise it's just too much. The devs lost sight of the KISS Principle when they created 3, I think.

That being said, what you said DID spark something I'd like to add to my "dream game." I do like the non-rabbit-hole careers that Ambitions has, the firefighting and private investigating and all that. I DO wish the careers were more interactive and had more of an impact on the Sims' lives in TS2, other than work hours and the skills needed for advancement. TS3 handles that better even with the rabbit-hole ones.

Quote:
@Liza, why can't it be a woman who creates the masterpiece? I have a background of gaming since I was 3. I lived through the Edutainment era in the early to mid 1990s. I used to make skins for TS1 but never posted because I wasn't up to snuff. I am great at designing lots of things because in videogames, you need to make everything because you get nothing for free.

To say "he" seems to enforce that toxic environment that led to GamerGate. To assume that a woman is incapable of coordinating such a project is sexist and the majority of Simmers are female.

From Liza's wording and syntax, I'm guessing that she's not a native English-speaker. In many languages, the default pronoun when gender is unknown is "he." In fact, in more formal English, before the PC era, the same was true for English. Yes, that conceit might ultimately be rooted in sexism, but language is language and it can be slow to change. So, don't assume that Liza's being sexist. That's kinda rude. Besides, games are generally created by teams, not individuals, and a team is liable to consist of both sexes.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Forum Resident
#68 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 10:43 PM
I just want workable horses and moodlets

else I will say I could easily get my dream "sims" game from the cc and mods there is available..
my computer just can't run a light fix neither can it run more than 3GB CC and mods in total :/
sure my PC was the best office laptop in 2015 but that was 2015. For the 1000 USD I gave back then can I get a standard gamer laptop today man...

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#69 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
From Liza's wording and syntax, I'm guessing that she's not a native English-speaker. In many languages, the default pronoun when gender is unknown is "he." In fact, before more formal English, before the PC era, the same was true for English. Yes, that conceit might ultimately be rooted in sexism, but language is language and it can be slow to change. So, don't assume that Liza's being sexist. That's kinda rude. Besides, games are generally created by teams, not individuals, and a team is liable to consist of both sexes.

I've been pretty defensive lately to have the time to play games because lately I am not able to make time to play videogames. So lately I have been watching movies because, I have a number of health issues leaving me tired, but my guard is constantly up.

As for my offended feelings, I used to deal with sexism as a child then a teenager and well into adulthood. The fact I wanted to enter the Information Technology field with my father, therein lies the big problem, which was the entirety back 25 year ago was the team always, if not almost all, were male. I would not be surprised if there isn't a dramatic shift in percentages towards women.

Undead Molten Llama
#70 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 10:59 PM
I can understand defensiveness. I'm probably older than you, and I've dealt with plenty of sexism in my time, having been a professional classical musician, a profession that until very recently, was all male and women weren't taken seriously. And my mother was a prosecuting attorney in the 60s, which was very, very rare, when women were only secretaries to lawyers. So, I get it, totally. But, my feeling is that one must only go to battle when battle is warranted. Otherwise, we burn out and/or we're just dismissed as bitter and angry people. I'm not sure that a thread on a forum is really a good battlefield.

That being said, my feeling is that IT and game development is probably still mostly male, but I imagine that will change. I get a feeling that the developers of The Sims were male, just from some things that are in it -- The overtly-sexual French maid outfit, for instance -- but hopefully that's not still the case. If nothing else, you'd think they'd realize that the players tend to be more female than male, and that many of the males who play are gay and not likely to appreciate any sexist va-va-voom stuff. Of course, many of the female players are not straight, either, and we might like a little female va-va-voom ourselves.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#71 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:02 PM
oh boy...

Mad Poster
#72 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:06 PM
@iCad thank you for saying that about gender in the English language. I don't know how many kids (mine and not-mine) I've had to explain that before the last few decades 'he' was used as a politely ambiguous gender description, because 'it' was and is still considered rude. If you're reading something from mid-1900s or earlier you just have to consider context to determine if 'he' is specifically male or ambiguous, and a lot of languages (like French) consider the masculine to be inclusive of both male and female.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#73 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
@iCad thank you for saying that about gender in the English language. I don't know how many kids (mine and not-mine) I've had to explain that before the last few decades 'he' was used as a politely ambiguous gender description, because 'it' was and is still considered rude. If you're reading something from mid-1900s or earlier you just have to consider context to determine if 'he' is specifically male or ambiguous, and a lot of languages (like French) consider the masculine to be inclusive of both male and female.

Indeed. It's kind of unfortunate that English isn't as gendered as most other languages are, where even inanimate objects are assigned a gender for pronoun purposes, whereas in English gender only applies to living things. If that weren't the case, perhaps there'd be less "pronoun touchiness."

BUT ANYWAY! Back to the topic at hand...Nope, still can't think of anything to add to my "dream game." But, it's past my bedtime, so I'll sleep on it.

Mad Poster
#74 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Honestly? I have my dream game: TS2 + the carefully curated cocktail of mods and CC that I use to tweak it into exactly what I want. Sure, there are a few graphical things I'd change if I could, but ultimately they're not the important things. In the end, no game developer would ever be able to make a game that will make me (let alone everyone else!) 100% happy, and I would never expect them to do so. In fact, I wouldn't TRUST them to do so; they'd likely just do it wrong and piss me off. IMO, all that developers need to do is to make games easily moddable. They'll never please everyone, and they know it, but they ought to make it easy for players to please themselves, and the Sims games seem to do that quite well.

All that said, I didn't read the whole thread, but I did read a few posts mentioning wanting traits. I know some TS2 players sort of manually incorporate them into their game to add to their Sims' "stories," and that's cool, but as they are implemented in TS3? I dislike them greatly. The IDEA is fine; the implementation is, IMO, awful. The thing is that TS3's traits are purely binary. Either a Sim has them, or they don't, and there's nothing in between. And the way a Sim who has a trait expresses that trait is generally cartoonily exaggerated...or, on the other side, it doesn't appear to do anything at all, aside from occasionally giving them a moodlet in certain situations. (And I'm not a fan of the moodlet system, either.)

So, I dislike the trait system. I prefer TS2's system of points to create personalities because nothing is binary. Everything is degrees, which is far more realistic. Sure, I might wish there were more personality sliders, but I get that there's probably a finite number possible for AI-programming purposes, and really? Even with just the five that TS2 has, there's a huge range of personalities that it's possible to make, especially if you tinker with the "sliders" in debug mode so that you can have Sims with very few points up to all the points. I suppose a hybrid system of "sliders" plus traits might be OK, but really? I'm cynical enough at this point to believe that the implementation of such would be completely awful. The KISS Principle ("Keep it simple, stupid") applies, I think.

I'd say some traits make sense as what their are than scaling system... (only thinks of Kleptomaniac) because has you said, the sim either has it or not. It's not autonomously fueled. And there wouldn't be much of a drastic difference except for the frequency the sim may steal an item, with zero equaling to no stealing, but they still non_the_less, and a counterpart for that be redundant (neat vs sloppy, kleptomaniac versus anti-kleptomania? generiosity?). Also, Unstable traits comes to mind as well.

I would love a mixture of personality points and traits or as Bulbasaur suggested, integration of traits within personality points scale. Actually, it should be other way around personality points defining traits, not the other way around.

Scholar
#75 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 1:24 AM
I tried TS3 on the Xbox some time ago (not touched it in ages), and there were a few things I thought were an improvement on TS2: the reading to toddlers in particular (learning certain things from books and the animation was way sweeter than the face-to-face approach). I did also like the theory of the open world, but hated all the rabbit holes. If I follow my sim to a shop, I want to go in with them, not sit outside!

So, my dream game would be TS2 as the base, with an updated engine so it runs without issues on W10, multiple cores and modern graphics cards (without requiring all the tweaking), coupled with the more realistic "read-to" animation from #3 and possibly a semi-open world: allow sims to leave their home lot and travel to community lots or their friends' houses, but have loading screens for the interiors. I'd want the appearance sliders from #3 in CAS, as well as the ability to choose shoes separately from the main outfits. A combination of traits and personality points would likely round the sims out more effectively; certain traits are only available within certain ranges of personality for example, while others are completely separate, and a weighted environment need bar would be great i.e. neat sims take a larger drop than sloppy ones do when food goes bad/sinks break etc.
A lot of extra things I've used mods for (playable schools, trips & quads among others), but if they came with the game, I'd be happy.

I can't think of anything else at this point in time, but I'll add to it later if I do!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Page 3 of 4