Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 12:31 AM
Post pics of what you do! This will be fun.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#28 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 12:37 AM
This world could prove beneficial with both story tellers and architects alike. The small size of the world may limit the players options substantially, but with less options would allow a story teller to adhere to their actors better. Less distractions essentially.

The potential for exploring architectural styles seems intriguing to me. With less lots means players will have to experiment with layouts to find the balance between functionality and practicality while still maintaining relative to the cruise ship theme. I'm thinking lots featuring much Hardware and Peek-a-Boos would fit ideally. Good creation, and good find!

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Mad Poster
#29 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 12:47 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 21st Aug 2017 at 1:03 AM.
So these are all cool ideas and I like where it's going, but I do wonder whether the ship's hull design allows for any creative freedom in lot building. Because realistically, you'd want to build something that looks like it's part of the ship's design, right?
So while you guys focus on that I'll focus on my stupid train idea, which allows for no creative freedom whatsoever besides a bit of CASting. I like trains, dammit. I want a train. I WILL have a train.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#30 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 12:57 AM
I just took a quick look at it. Very well done and so creative. Sims run through those bulkheads/dividers and I do not like that. I was able to wall off 2 lots completely and the sim ran into the bulkhead and then ran out and then ran into the other lot using the door to the deck. Lots of fun possibilities, but I think I will not concentrate on this for now. Too many other things going.

I built up 4 floors and that was still a lot lower than the dividers. Layered them receding like a wedding cake for stateroom balconies and stuck white paint on all to match the ship. I think there is a lot of potential here but a lot of work. It will be fun to see what you all do. I need to finish 2 other worlds first (!) then may play with this one.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 5:14 PM
That is looking really good!
Instructor
#33 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 9:35 PM
So I have a silly question, functionally how does this work? For example on the forward deck it'll let you create walls all the way around that inner area, but are there certain portions that need to be left open to allow for sims to move around?
Mad Poster
#35 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:36 PM
The lot at the stern has the best view and is the smallest as I recall, so good for a residential lot, but yes, then it is lost for some other spectacular nightclub or pool or whatever. (!!! LOL) That is a good idea to put doors where the fake doors are. I did not do that. So my test sim ran into the bulkhead and out and then in the door along the side deck.
Instructor
#36 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well, on the left and right side of the ship, you have a walking deck area that is not part of the lot. Sims will walk on those to get to where they want to go. The bulkhead area is actually walk through, they're just for looks, which I rather like. This means when you create a lot, you still have to create a wall on the sides lining the bulkheads to prevent sims from walking into them. However, I build it to play along with the bulk head graphics. You can see in the middle of the bulkheads there are a couple of big doors. They're nonfunctional, only graphical. However, when I build the lots, I actually put in 2 doors in that same location so sims can walk through them.

Thanks! I was wondering if it was something like that since when I started building and zoomed in on build mode I could see the ocean still, despite the fact that zoomed out there seemed to be a wall there. Thanks for the tip on the doors, I'll do that!
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:15 AM
Alrighty, finally finished this lot. Took a lot longer than I thought it would considering it doesn't really have a lot of things to design. Makes me wonder how long it will take me to do the real multi functional lots with community functions. Still, I'm not sure I'm going to keep this lot. I probably have to, I think a world functions better when there is at least 1 residential lot and multiple NPC doors. In the screenshots, you can see only 1 apartment is real, that's the Captain's pad. All the others are NPC doors. Lot is standard and a little boring, didn't want to invest too much time on a lot that serves more as a back drop for NPCs. Want to reserve the good stuff such as infinity pools etc... for the luxury lots.

Please tell me you're intending on sharing the magnificence you have created!

Living high contrast
Mad Poster
#39 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 3:39 PM
That looks really nice, Nitromon.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 3:46 AM
Thanks! I would upload it but I've never uploaded before and I have no idea where I got some of my mods/cc from to track them down for the upload procedure.

I've actually found really good success in dropping the file name into google.

The other option is to drop a pic of the cc into google's image search and see what comes up.

Living high contrast
Scholar
#42 Old 24th Aug 2017 at 5:35 AM
nitromon Oh wow! Just... WOW!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Theorist
Original Poster
#43 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
I'd also be very grateful for an upload, even if there's no cc list 😊

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Site Helper
#44 Old 25th Aug 2017 at 5:13 PM
The WCIF forum is also pretty good for "Where did I get this?" threads...

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 1:33 AM
Just curious though, what are the thoughts on rabbitholes? I would imagine rabbitholes are unnecessary b/c you don't really need careers in this world and also other rabbitholes such as bookstore/grocery/spa, etc... can be done with registers and actual massage tables, etc...

Positive: Rabbitholes will attract more sims to a lot
Negative: Rabbithole icons will overwrite lot icon (not too big of a deal). Rabbitholes can only be used on 1st floor or basement b/c as far as I know all the rabbithole rugs and doors won't disappear when you switch down levels.

Yeah, rabbitholes do act strangely on multilevel buildings, but the workarounds you suggested would work anyway. And there's no reason why they can't be changed if the downloader wants to anyway. I'd say do the lot that works for you.

Living high contrast
Mad Poster
#48 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 2:35 AM

Updated version here for people who don't want to have to build an entire ship themselves!

http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.co...bour-day-update
Theorist
Original Poster
#50 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 12:59 PM Last edited by tizerist : 6th Sep 2017 at 3:02 PM.
Just noticed this....happy days
You mean I did all this for nothing!!??

No no no....it certainly won't be for nothing nitromon. Some people will no doubt prefer your version.
In fact, upon further inspection, the lots are just copy-and-paste empty shells, bar the rear lot. So although they dramatically improve the look of the ship, they are essentially useless.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Page 2 of 3