Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 3:17 PM
Well my computer is an old champ - had it since I was 15 and I am 24 today.. Almost 10 years!

Windows 10
Processor IntelCore i7 CPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
6 Gb RAM
HyperX Savage 480GB SSD
500 GB Harddrive

No problem what so ever
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#27 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 3:24 PM
So the persistent bit is the case?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#28 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Could the problem be the discs or maybe the disc drive?
My computer is a Toshiba Satellite A665 -- an A665-s6096 to be exact. (While shopping for RAM, I learned the A665 had many different configurations) I think I bought mine late 2010, though it may have been 2009. It's been a great little machine, but it does run VERY hot at times.

It definitely wasn't the discs (I use them in my desktop now, no problem), so it was either the drive or the software. Probably the drive, as it would make fluttery noises when I put a new disc in. I could get it to read some discs by turning it off and on again, so the disc was already there, but it didn't like University Life at all.
Instructor
#29 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 9:06 PM
In my opinion (and I'm quite possibly wrong because I'm not great with techy stuff), if you're wanting a computer specifically to run TS2, the main things you need to worry about are the graphics card/chip and operating system. The processor, RAM and stuff like that most likely won't be an issue.

You'll most likely want a desktop, not a laptop, because most laptops have integrated intel graphics chips which are bad news for trying to run TS2 on. Buuuut it's definitely possible to find a laptop that can run it. Mine can (well could, it's getting on a bit now and has a problem with overheating) because it has an Nvidia 720M card/chip rather than the standard intel one. It comes at a price though, I got mine back in December 2013 if I remember correctly, and it cost £600. From what I've heard, desktop PCs are far more likely to contain a proper graphics card than laptops are, but honestly I don't know a whole lot about that, since my friend built my desktop for me. But I do know that if it doesn't come with a proper card, it's far, far easier to install one than with a laptop.

The other thing is that I'd strongly recommend you install Windows 7 on whatever PC you get. I know some people have got TS2 to work with Windows 8 or 10, but my laptop had Windows 8 when I first bought it, and I tried literally every single guide out there to get TS2 to run, and it just wouldn't. I finally gave in and bought a Windows 7 disk, as soon as I installed it TS2 worked fine!
Instructor
#30 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 9:26 PM
I really really wonder why some people can't run TS2 with Windows 10 and some like me can, without problem.
Is it a laptop - desktop thing or what?

Good old stuff ya know
On other hand it would make sense that TS2 (who is old) run better with old stuff..
Scholar
#31 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 10:40 PM
Possibly because of Windows 10 cloud service features and its particular policies - many people expect to run things "as they are" (and why they should not?) which may lead to unexpected results with older software - it was for example repetitive issue with Sims 3 while W10 was relatively new, many users complained about missing folders. Older software also can produce problems if they were released before multicore/multithread hardware popularity era. Contemporary i3 line of Intel processors are kinda "museum pieces" while at the end of Sims 2 development they were just a dream. Sometimes game, as other older sofware is unable to work properly with virtual cores. That's vary of course. And forcing single core run or unparking usually solves that problem. The actual problem with heavy data processing software (like any "sim" type game) is connected often with serious gap between CPU efficiency and disc data transfer (it's not a big issue for Flash Discs or data placed on Virtual Drives like RAMdrive ofc) - making things simple: CPU constantly waits for data transfer producing lags or unexpected results in the process, you may observe that game is running sometimes on modern hardware even "worse" than on much weaker, older machine.

The game itself works fine with Celeron M line as i3 line CPUs and potato cards like my GT 520M or any Intel embedded. It just needs some digging, like any old program in fact (1st Max Paine, Gothic, name it...) and some won't run without creating serious virtual hardware detours (or running a virtual machine) like old Splinter Cell series. It's just a "cost of the progress".

@SIMelissa
Toshiba incredible talent for installing the worst optical drive ever produced in theirs products is quite well known, on my own old laptop I had to replace DVD drive 5 times (!).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#32 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 10:41 PM
I started playing Sims 2 in 2005, using XP.

I played it on Windows 7 for several years.

I have UC now, running on Windows 10 as if they were made for each other (and me)
Instructor
#33 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 11:10 PM
Another one using Windows 10 with no problems here. My laptop is a Sony VAIO VPCEG25FL from 2011-2012 (I don't remember the exact year I got it), and the poor thing is starting to show its age, with the screen going all fuzzy and getting stuck sometimes and booting up very slowly, but it never had any problems running any Sims game at all. In fact, I have the four main games installed in it, and all of them work! I think the faulty Windows 10 upgrade (it does not want to update version, and never managed to open Microsoft Edge), along with running Sims 3 for waaaay too long without pauses (I didn't know it was harmful to graphic cards) damaged it in a permanent way
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#34 Old 17th Aug 2017 at 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Ah, don't get too used to me, I'm afraid. I have my hands full these days keeping up with Tumblr. I came over here to answer some messages I've gotten and saw this thread and...yeah.

But it's good to see, you, love! And now you've got a fancy green name and everything.

Hehe yeah, I may not have had that fancy green name last time you were here!
Good to see you anyhow.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#35 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 7:14 PM
I'd like to add to the discussion that iCad was extremely helpful in a private message to me when I mentioned that I was going to need a new desktop to play Sims 2 and do all my other stuff.

Right now I'm looking at everything I need minus a new power supply (the card recommends a minimum of 300 watts and 20 amps minimum 12-volt current). The good news is what I have is good for everything except TS2 (I'm just not willing to risk using the onboard graphics). And, yes, I did plenty of research beforehand to make sure the equipment would work with the computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 12:11 AM
I really appreciate the discussion!! Unfortunately a desktop is simply not an option for me right now (I'm unemployed - working hard to become employed but finding a job is difficult when you can't hear; laptop is a very, very, very generous gift from my father, but I currently live in a difficult situation and don't have a desk or any space to own more furniture than a bed) so I'm going to have to go with laptop, I've found a model I like within the budget I was given and I'll be looking into setting up VirtualBox with Windows 7 (as well as Vista or XP for some childhood games I'd like to play) once I have the PC.
Forum Resident
#37 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 3:36 AM
Did the integrated card on my cheap desktop make my game (dvd discs) go all purple and funny. The graphics rule fixer thing didn't work for me. I also got a laptop, (with UC) it's got Nivida thingy, but I'm wondering if it's crashing because of bad cc/mods or some memory thing. So frustrating, can't play my sims on anything. I'm in the process of stripping the game down on the laptop and reinstalling again. i suppose I could play without any cc/mods. I used to like the game in pure vanilla, around 10years ago or whenever the last expansion hit.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:34 PM Last edited by Kunder : 22nd Aug 2017 at 8:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by becketth
Sorry if this in the wrong area!! I didn't think it quite fit into help or anything like that.

So my laptop is giving out on me - the casing is cracked in a zillion places - and my father has offered to help me buy a computer. The only games I really play are the Sims series and emulators, so other than the requirements for my virtual college programs, I only really need my PC to meet the requirements for Sims games. I can find the minimum required specs for the Sims games, but the thing is, I currently have a Windows 8 Lenovo laptop that CANNOT run TS2. I'm serious - I've tried EVERYTHING, suggestions on this forum, suggestions from Games4TheWorld, suggestions from EA. No hope. Basically, before I buy a new PC, I want to be sure all the Sims games will run on it.

If your current/new-ish (Windows 8 or later) laptop can't run TS2, or if you've known of one that won't, will you post the name of it here so I don't wind up disappointed again? Or if you know of a current computer that runs TS2 particularly well, that would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Lenovo T420/430, I play Sims2 on my T420, smooth as glass with a little video tweaking.

Any Win8/8.1 computer with nVidia graphics, will play Sims 2, but you need to know enough about game settings to get it running smoothly.

If you're using a laptop, make sure it has nVidia graphics. Sims 2 will run on HD4000 graphics pretty well, as long as you have the right Graphics Rules installed, and at LEAST an i5 processor.
It will run on HD3000 graphics, but is a PITA to get running right, even at that, still just a little "choppy".

Here is my Sims2 Rig (I currently have nine of them):

Lenovo T420.
i5 or i7 CPU
nVidia NVS 4200M Graphics.
8 to 16gb/Ram
1tb 7200RPM HDD Sims 2 needs a fast HDD.
Windows 7Pro. I do not use a "Paging"(swap) file.

I had 12 of these, but I gave one to my Daughter in Virginia after a recent trip there, one to my Son-in-Law, and I sold one.

(I custom build "Simming" machines, for Simmers )

Good luck!
Field Researcher
#39 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:48 PM Last edited by Kunder : 22nd Aug 2017 at 8:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
In general (and people will argue with me, no matter) there are very few laptops capable of sustained game play in Sims 2. It has always been a hard game to play on laptops, and even for the newer models that are designed for it, the struggle is there.
Thus, I have a desktop:
HP-Pavilion
System Model: AY627AA-ABA a4313w
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1250, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2814MB RAM
Page File: 936MB used, 4691MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 1400 MB
Dedicated Memory: 249 MB
Shared Memory: 1151 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP w1858 Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP w1858
Monitor Id: HWP2835

Free Space: 414.6 GB
Total Space: 476.9 GB

Yes, the memory is a little weak, but it sure is an improvement over the last computer I had. This is also a second hand rebuild.
True, the trick is getting THIS recommended configuration:

8gb/Ram.
nVidia NVS4200 graphics.
i5Processor.
500+, 7200 RPM HDD. Sims 2 needs a faster HDD!
Win7.
THE PROPER GRAPHIC RULES!!!

I play on the Lenovo T420, and Sims runs SMOOTH!

Sims will play WELL on any laptop with this configuration.

Sims 2 is not only graphic intensive, it is also CPU, and HDD intensive!

My current main "Simming" machine (The one I'm typing this on right now), is a Lenovo T420 with 16gb/ram,1tb/7200rpm HDD, nVidia Graphics, i5 (soon to be i7) processor, Win7Pro, and NO SWAP FILE. (BTW, this same machine runs Sims3/Sims4, just as well as it runs TS2, a little better, even).

Runs perfectly.

I recommend at LEAST 6gb Memory, with a 3rdGen i3 processor, a 7200RPM HDD, and nVidia graphics as a MINIMUM.

If you use HD3000 Graphics, Sims will run IF your processor is at least an i5, but is a little choppy. Sims2 is a bit of a PITA for HD3000. The above is the MINIMUM I recommend.

HD4000 graphics and up, will run Sims2 quite well, IF you have a 3rdGen i5 (Ivy Bridge) or better, with over 6gb/Ram, AND a 7200rpm HDD (This configuration was tested on a Toshiba Tecra, with 6gb/ram, HD4000Graphics, 3XXX series i5 Ivy Bridge, and a 750gb/7200rpm HDD).

Probably the MOST important consideration, is getting the PROPER Graphics Rules! Kiri, over at LeeFish, is a graphics GURU, for Sims 2. I've learned a lot from her!

TIP!

IF you're playing with disks (I do not), I HIGHLY recommend getting an external USB DVD player.

I also recommend getting an external USB HDD for backing up your game!

Hope this helps.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Could the problem be the discs or maybe the disc drive?
My computer is a Toshiba Satellite A665 -- an A665-s6096 to be exact. (While shopping for RAM, I learned the A665 had many different configurations) I think I bought mine late 2010, though it may have been 2009. It's been a great little machine, but it does run VERY hot at times.
Get four 2 liter bottle caps, place under the four corners of your laptop. This will help with cooling considerably.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 3rd Sep 2021 at 2:01 AM
Probably necroposting, but do you think a laptop with these specs could handle a S2 game with Reshade and some 4t2 clay conversions? It doesn't have a DEDICATED graphics card, and I plan to upgrade its memory to the max, 20GB.

Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-72KU

Intel Core i7 10510U (8MB cache)
Intel UHD Graphics 620
512 GB (NVMe Gen3 x4) SSD
8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz

Any other specs I should list here? Thanks in advance
Scholar
#43 Old 3rd Sep 2021 at 7:52 PM
Most old machines will run the game just fine. With the newer ones the problem is not really the hardware itself (that can be mediated) but the system (most cases: W10 and its shenanigans) and lack of drivers/lazy developers.

Bear in mind that despise of the machine in question technology level, if you do not clean the mess coming from the normal W10 installation (maybe even 'improved' by produces/reseller additional bloat) you're pushing the stone uphill constantly. Without the serious cleaning running the W10 machine (the same with the older systems like W7/8...) you're basically driving the car with the hand brake on. And you need repeat the process after every update ofc.

The next thing is - people rarely do a conservation run on theirs machines. Cleaning the fan, repasting the CPU after 2/3 year of use will regain the power lost because of hardware safety measures (namely: CPU's temp. safety limitations).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 4th Sep 2021 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla

Bear in mind that despise of the machine in question technology level, if you do not clean the mess coming from the normal W10 installation (maybe even 'improved' by produces/reseller additional bloat) you're pushing the stone uphill constantly. Without the serious cleaning running the W10 machine (the same with the older systems like W7/8...) you're basically driving the car with the hand brake on. And you need repeat the process after every update ofc.

Thank you for your feedback, @ElaineNualla! This machine does come with Linux by default, should I keep it then? If I end up installing Windows, what is the W10 installation mess I should clean up?
Forum Resident
#45 Old 4th Sep 2021 at 10:28 PM Last edited by Sokisims : 4th Sep 2021 at 10:47 PM.
Windows 10 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core 3.5Ghz
Ram 16GB
Display NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
SSD 500 GB
Harddrive 1TB

I had to follow a few tutorials to get the game working.
The only thing that bothers me is not being able to go to more than a couple of large community lots without having pink soup. Especially if I have something more open. Although it is curious that I can have the game on for hours and never have closures, it is as if despite all the fixes the memory on hold reaches a limit in some moments.
Forum Resident
#47 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 8:10 AM Last edited by Sokisims : 5th Sep 2021 at 9:39 AM.
Aspersim Yes, although after using graphic rules, I think my game does use it, it appears in the file.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 8:14 AM
Did you check the "Disable texture memory estimate adjustment" option? I use an NVidia card too and went from "pink and crashes after switching households two or three times, no community lots ever" to no issues at all.
Forum Resident
#49 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 8:24 AM Last edited by Sokisims : 5th Sep 2021 at 8:53 AM.
@Ovenhole I just checked and both lines of "disableTexMemEstimateAdjustment" are "true".
Mad Poster
#50 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 11:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
Did you check the "Disable texture memory estimate adjustment" option? I use an NVidia card too and went from "pink and crashes after switching households two or three times, no community lots ever" to no issues at all.

Same here, and I have a 1070 card.

Still have some crashing issues, but I suspect that's problems left over from not having removed the DXVK properly or some such.

If anyone is using the GraphicsRulesMaker, make sure you're using the 2.0 version and NOT the old 1.0 version (they updated it in April 2020, I think?). The old one doesn't have the fix and causes the pink-flashy issues because it removes the line entirely from the GraphicRules file, while the new one doesn't remove the line and has the tick box and lets you enable it if need be.

Not sure if it helps, but using a fresh pair of unedited GraphicRules and VideoCard files could possibly help if you're already having issues? (I'm not sure if the text is fully replaced with whatever is in the GRM program or if it just edits what's there already - maybe someone knows?)
Page 2 of 3