Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
I really would like to see how the TS4's cartonish graphics will look like in console devices. I mean, just imagine people playing this game with those poor quality textures and models on large widescreen televisions.

Why on earth would anyone want to see that?! You're a monster.
"Uncharted 4: Nate's House Tour" with quality textures and models from PS4.

Can I get this as a Sims game please? I'll buy multiple copies. Because positive reinforcement.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 4:11 AM
I really would like to see how the TS4's cartonish graphics will look like in console devices. I mean, just imagine people playing this game with those poor quality textures and models on large widescreen televisions.

"Uncharted 4: Nate's House Tour" with quality textures and models from PS4.

It's just the art style. Life is Strange has a similar style. It's on the PS4 and it looks nice. Not every game has to have realistic graphics.¯\_(&#12484_/¯

I'm actually quite happy about this. I've always felt like TS4 is more like the old sims console games. I played the crap out of the PS2 sims games (all of them except for Urbz, ugh). I still have my heavily modded Sims 4 on the PC and will buy any expansions I am interested in on it, but it'll be nice to kick back on the couch and play a "lighter" version.

Edit: What happened to my shrug guy?
Mad Poster
#28 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 5:35 AM
The problem with that is that the console games were understandably cut back. Players understood that there were console limitations which prevented a complete experience (like having an object limit on the lot). The devs as well, so they designed a new game around the limitations.

It's not doing 4 any justice to say that it's in a similar vain to the console games. That's actually quite bad.

-----

Also, can we get top latering back from TS2 on console. I miss having an assortment of jackets and sleeves to mix and match.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#29 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 6:48 AM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 27th Jul 2017 at 6:58 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by budwinys
It's just the art style. Life is Strange has a similar style. It's on the PS4 and it looks nice. Not every game has to have realistic graphics.¯\_(&#12484_/¯

I am getting so sick of hearing this argument. It is NOT the art style, It is not at ALL the art style. it is the texture QUALITY and RESOLUTION that are so poor that playing Sims 4 on a 4k TV is going to be like playing a GBC game on a PC emulator.

There is nothing wrong with the sims 4 art style, nobody is complaining about the sims 4 art style. The problem is the quality. Yes, we ALL get that the textures are hand drawn and hand painted, and that is fantastic. But if da Vinci had painted the Mona Lisa on plastic with a 14cm brush from Home Hardware and a paint roller, it would also look like shit.
Instructor
#30 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:15 AM Last edited by Vertisea : 27th Jul 2017 at 7:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge

Why on earth would anyone want to see that?! You're a monster.

Can I get this as a Sims game please? I'll buy multiple copies. Because positive reinforcement.

I'm actually quite happy about this. I've always felt like TS4 is more like the old sims console games. I played the crap out of the PS2 sims games (all of them except for Urbz, ugh). I still have my heavily modded Sims 4 on the PC and will buy any expansions I am interested in on it, but it'll be nice to kick back on the couch and play a "lighter" version.

Edit: What happened to my shrug guy?

You do realize though that textures at resolutions and dimensions like those of Uncharted require a huge chunk of VRAM (or in the case of most consoles, RAM), right? Especially if shaders and meshes aren't instanced and textures for objects aren't combined into one UV map so the game engine only has to load one diffuse texture and can just reference any copies from that.

The thing (again) with games like Uncharted is that they're all linear and take place in tiny environments, and none of the AI has much logic, aside from some combat, stealth or basic behavior. The Sims 4 takes place in a much larger, interactive environment where many characters are all complexly simulated, all with their own logic and autonomous behavior based on many parameters and criteria set by the AI and player. There isn't really one game that does what any of The Sims games do in terms of AI, especially on The Sims' scale. When you do all that, you don't leave much room for anything else if your demographic is crappy computers.

I haven't actually looked much at how all the objects for The Sims 4 are unwrapped, but I very much doubt Maxis had the clever idea of combining multiple textures for objects that don't need all the resolution into one UV map e.g. using one texture map for multiple lamps of the same style.

Kinda like this, where the wall shares a texture with two drains.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but I'm just looking at this realistically from two sides. Yes, all of this is no excuse for the shoddy texture quality and lack of graphical fidelity, but this is Maxis. Not Naughty Dog. Maxis' demographic is way different, their engine is a lot simpler, and The Sims games are vastly different games than those like Uncharted, Bioshock, Half Life, Max Payne, or any other linear game. Regardless of everything said, open ended simulation games are way different than linear games. If you're going to give an example, at least give a fair example.

Again, no excuses. Two sides. Two. Dos. Zwei.

/rant.

OK BACK ON TOPIC.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Theorist
#31 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vertisea
The thing (again) with games like Uncharted is that they're all linear and take place in tiny environments, and none of the AI has any logic, aside from some combat or basic behavior. The Sims 4 takes place in a much larger, interactive environment where many characters are all complexly simulated, all with their own logic and autonomous behavior based on many parameters and criteria set by the AI and player. There isn't really one game that does what any of The Sims games do in terms of AI, especially on The Sims' scale. When you do all that, you don't leave much room for anything else if your demographic is crappy computers.

I guess the reason people don't buy those limitations is that Sims 2 had better textures (considering objects only and not Sims) more than a decade ago. And they were still able to add cool details like soft seats reacting to the weight of the sims, or hair that moves dynamically. Surely we should be able to do more 13 year later, not less.

Sims 4 textures just look like someone hit "Gaussian blur" in Paint.net 15 times cause their mobile, 15 cm screen textures looked a bit pixelated on PC and were like. "Yeah, that looks smoother. *send*"
Instructor
#32 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:31 AM
I guess the reason people don't buy those limitations is that Sims 2 had higher resolution textures more than a decade ago. And they were still able to add cool details like soft seats reacting to the weight of the sims, or hair that moves dynamically. Surely we should be able to do more 13 year later, not less.

That's the sort of gimmicky stuff that always gets scrapped off of priority lists when time or budget is tight, both of which were the case with The Sims 4, although they're relatively simple things. Blendshapes on soft seats, jigglebones on hair. Doesn't make it dynamic, but it works and looks pretty.

I don't know why they decided to scrap so much either, when it's possible even for a stylistic art style. I think they were forced to cut corners. Probably Thanks to EA's suits, who, by the way, most likely don't even know anything about games, and probably aren't even gamers themselves.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Theorist
#33 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:41 AM
That's the sort of gimmicky stuff that always gets scrapped off of priority lists when time or budget is tight, both of which were the case with The Sims 4, although they're relatively simple things. Blendshapes on soft seats, jigglebones on hair. Doesn't make it dynamic, but it works and looks pretty.

Knowing how excited the dev team presenting their new CAS was about the butt slider, I wouldn't be surprised if Sims 5 still has clay hair, but we get butt and boob jiggle xD

I don't know why they decided to scrap so much either, when it's possible even for a stylistic art style. I think they were forced to cut corners. Probably Thanks to EA's suits, who, by the way, most likely don't even know anything about games, and probably aren't even gamers themselves.

Honestly I do think it's unfair that we keep blaming the devs, programmers, and artists. I want to take a moment to appreciate how much work they were all asked to do to rush a PC port of a mobile game without getting a deadline extension, and having most of their budget re-prioritised to other projects.

A moment of silence for the brave men and women who had to stick their names to this project who were undoubtedly under-payed by EA while the decision makers who caused this catastrophe sat comfortably by with their big suit salaries cracking the whip, now laughing as we continually funnel insults towards these poor devs and artists.

"Theirs is not to make reply: Theirs is not to reason why: Theirs is but to do and die." - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Inventor
#34 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 7:47 AM
I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but I'm just looking at this realistically from two sides. Yes, all of this is no excuse for the shoddy texture quality and lack of graphical fidelity, but this is Maxis. Not Naughty Dog. Maxis' demographic is way different, their engine is a lot simpler, and The Sims games are vastly different games than those like Uncharted, Bioshock, Half Life, Max Payne, or any other linear game. Regardless of everything said, open ended simulation games are way different than linear games. If you're going to give an example, at least give a fair example.

It sounds like you're making excuses because you ARE. On the one hand you say that having high quality assets takes more resources (which is true), on the other hand you say that it's only possible to have high quality assests in game with restricted/linear gameplay (which is a LIE, take for example Skyrim, BioShock, GTA, etc.) and then you completely change your argument and say that we shouldn't expect quality because... well, it's Maxis/EA looool
Please, if you are going to come here and try to convenience people that your arguments have any legitimacy to them, at least be consistent. You can't say it's not possible because the Sims is a non-linear, AI intensive game (I don't know which game you're talking about, because TS4 is not very AI intensive, is quite basic in that aspect, neither is as big and open as TS3 for example), and just right after try to justify EA's lack of polish or care with things like democraphics and logical fallacies. The Sims doesn't have to be VASTLY different from those game you're naming. It's an open-ended, sandbox experience, but it's not the only one of its type. There are a lot of open world, open ended games (GTA Online, most Bethesda games, Mass Effect series, etc.) that offer a lot of complexity in terms of enviroments without sacrificing quality. You say that open ended simulation games are way different than linear games but you should know that the distinction between linear and open-ended is quite fussy nowadays with the advent of open worlds. Hell, I could even make an arguement that, although most games have a linear campaign, the game doesn't end when you finish the campaign and you can keep playing and doing stuff.

So you're calling attention to small details a gimmick... interesting. So in your opinion companies should do the BARE minimum and nothing more. They shouldn't plan in advance and have a good budget and good amount of time/manpower to produce quality content, right? You claim that everything that is not a extreme necessity should be scrapped instead of, I don't know, increase the BUDGET and PRODUCTION TIME. I mean, if you're going to sell a game for full premium price (+$60) at release you better offer something of that quality. We're not talking about a small indie game, we're talking about a sequel to the best selling PC game of all time... smh
I don't really understand your point. It's obvious the scrapped a lot to meet the release date / budget allocated, so should we give them a break for that? ABSOLUTELY NOT. They should be shamed for doing something so despicable. Selling a half-made game at full price, with low quality assets and a buggy/broken engine that can't be fixed because it was made for something completely different. There's no way to justify what they did. No way.
Test Subject
#35 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
The console versions were cool because they understood that you just cannot port the PC version to consoles and expect it to work well. Console players are also very different from PC players, although there's overlapping of course, but they expect a more streamlined and simplified gameplay, smoother controls (that only rely on a controller and nothing else), and some sort of incentive other than the sandbox experience. Considering the fact that consoles do have some limitations compared to PCs, so to make up for the restrictions that the game will surely have (no CC compatibility is a given) they have to offer something else. I predict that a direct port of the PC version will fail miserably, but if they actually take some time and add a story mode, optimized controls, plus some extras (like Karma powers in TS3 for consoles, or rain in TS2 for consoles), the game may turn out to be quite successful. Time will tell, but I have ZERO expectations they'd actually take the time needed to create a good version, considering the fact they seem clueless as regards how to deliver content with any sort of depth and polish. They're just VERY incompetent at game development, and although it's working relatively fine in PC because the audience is... more accepting of this incompetence and the fact that many things can be fixed with mods, but a half-assed version is not going to cut it for consoles. So they either do it right, or they will regret it in the future. There's no middle ground here.

This is so true. But there will still be stupid people who'll gladly buy the console version as well.
Test Subject
#36 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 12:48 PM
Waste of resources and time. They say the updates will be released for both PC and consoles, so now we know that future patches may be constricted to consoles capabilities. Great job Maxis, we paid 400 Euro for your half-baked game and packs and instead of improving it you launch a port for consoles, because why not? Olympus was supposed to be a multiplatform game and now eveything makes sense.
Instructor
#37 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:19 PM
It sounds like you're making excuses because you ARE. On the one hand you say that having high quality assets takes more resources (which is true), on the other hand you say that it's only possible to have high quality assests in game with restricted/linear gameplay (which is a LIE, take for example Skyrim, BioShock, GTA, etc.) and then you completely change your argument and say that we shouldn't expect quality because... well, it's Maxis/EA looool
Please, if you are going to come here and try to convenience people that your arguments have any legitimacy to them, at least be consistent. You can't say it's not possible because the Sims is a non-linear, AI intensive game (I don't know which game you're talking about, because TS4 is not very AI intensive, is quite basic in that aspect, neither is as big and open as TS3 for example), and just right after try to justify EA's lack of polish or care with things like democraphics and logical fallacies. The Sims doesn't have to be VASTLY different from those game you're naming. It's an open-ended, sandbox experience, but it's not the only one of its type. There are a lot of open world, open ended games (GTA Online, most Bethesda games, Mass Effect series, etc.) that offer a lot of complexity in terms of enviroments without sacrificing quality. You say that open ended simulation games are way different than linear games but you should know that the distinction between linear and open-ended is quite fussy nowadays with the advent of open worlds. Hell, I could even make an arguement that, although most games have a linear campaign, the game doesn't end when you finish the campaign and you can keep playing and doing stuff.

So you're calling attention to small details a gimmick... interesting. So in your opinion companies should do the BARE minimum and nothing more. They shouldn't plan in advance and have a good budget and good amount of time/manpower to produce quality content, right? You claim that everything that is not a extreme necessity should be scrapped instead of, I don't know, increase the BUDGET and PRODUCTION TIME. I mean, if you're going to sell a game for full premium price (+$60) at release you better offer something of that quality. We're not talking about a small indie game, we're talking about a sequel to the best selling PC game of all time... smh
I don't really understand your point. It's obvious the scrapped a lot to meet the release date / budget allocated, so should we give them a break for that? ABSOLUTELY NOT. They should be shamed for doing something so despicable. Selling a half-made game at full price, with low quality assets and a buggy/broken engine that can't be fixed because it was made for something completely different. There's no way to justify what they did. No way.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said something isn't possible. From a technical perspective, The Sims 4's AI is complex. There's a lot of logic involved in creating the behaviors of each Sim.

Open world games aren't linear. Open world games are open worlds that utilize level streaming. Linear games that play in small, linear environments are not.

Yes, some of my posts are inconsistent because I always look at things from both sides. In this case, both sides being the developer and artist, as well as the consumer. I don't claim to be a genius, but when I give facts, I know what I'm talking about. And while I'm far from a master in anything related to game design, I do understand the general thought and work process that goes into making game assets, programming AI and level design because I've been messing with this kind of stuff since I was but "a wee lass". Like I said, I'm no genius, but I'll be damned if I have to sit here and be lectured by someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about, because that's what's happening right now.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I stand corrected if someone proves me wrong. I'm just as annoyed with The Sims 4 as everyone else. I just know not to be a total asshole about it because I know how challenging game design can be, and I speak to, and occasionally collaborate with professionals personally. Put some brakes on the hatetrain.

I'm aware I come off as aggressive. Consider it passion.

Field Researcher
#38 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:21 PM Last edited by budwinys : 27th Jul 2017 at 1:33 PM.
I am getting so sick of hearing this argument. It is NOT the art style, It is not at ALL the art style. it is the texture QUALITY and RESOLUTION that are so poor that playing Sims 4 on a 4k TV is going to be like playing a GBC game on a PC emulator.

There is nothing wrong with the sims 4 art style, nobody is complaining about the sims 4 art style. The problem is the quality. Yes, we ALL get that the textures are hand drawn and hand painted, and that is fantastic. But if da Vinci had painted the Mona Lisa on plastic with a 14cm brush from Home Hardware and a paint roller, it would also look like shit.

Yeah... I get that. I only meant that the Sims 4 doesn't need to look like Uncharted. When you say "Nobody is complaining about the sims 4 art style," you mean you are not complaining about the art style. There are people who dislike it. That's fine too, I was just saying I *do* like it. It sounds like you took my comment as something it totally did not mean, and decided to jump my crap about it because of things other people have said. I agree that the textures should be higher resolution, but that wasn't what I was talking about at the time.

And yeah, I'm probably going to buy the Sims 4 for the PS4 after I see what it's like. That doesn't mean I'm supporting shoddy work, it just means that, to me, it's worth $60 to me to have a casual game I play on my couch while hanging out with my family. I held out on the Sims 4 for almost a year after it came out. When I finally purchased it on sale, I realized I actually enjoyed it despite my issues with it.

Each time I wander into the Sims 4 forums, it feels like everyone's ready to have a no holds barred match. I'll be sure to stay out of here next time.

Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
It's not doing 4 any justice to say that it's in a similar vain to the console games. That's actually quite bad.

I completely agree, the PC version is lacking and that is bad. By saying the Sims 4 is more like a console game, I was saying it "fits" on the PS4 better. That's not good for the PC version, but it makes the console release make more sense to me.
Theorist
#39 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:29 PM
Yeah... I get that. I only meant that the Sims 4 doesn't need to look like Uncharted. When you say "Nobody is complaining about the sims 4 art style," you mean you are not complaining about the art style. There are people who dislike it. That's fine too, I was just saying I *do* like it. It sounds like you took my comment as something it totally did not mean, and decided to jump my crap about it because of things other people have said. I agree that the textures should be higher resolution, but that wasn't what I was talking about at the time.

I didn't mean to sound nasty to you specifically. That comment was an accumulation of my anger towards people who say that the Sims 4 doesn't need to look any better than it does because it's "stylised." And are basically celebrating and reinforcing the apparent laziness and corner cutting that has become about as signature of the franchise at this point as Llamas and Bella Goth.

I apologise. There was no ill-will directed at you in particular as a person. I'm just really tired of hearing that excuse from so many people in general. Or variations of it.

You used Life is Strange as another example of Stylisation, but Sims 4 is no where near on-par with that kind of quality. If it were, we wouldn't be complaining xD
Field Researcher
#40 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:48 PM
I didn't mean to sound nasty to you specifically. That comment was an accumulation of my anger towards people who say that the Sims 4 doesn't need to look any better than it does because it's "stylised." And are basically celebrating and reinforcing the apparent laziness and corner cutting that has become about as signature of the franchise at this point as Llamas and Bella Goth.

I apologise. There was no ill-will directed at you in particular as a person. I'm just really tired of hearing that excuse from so many people in general. Or variations of it.

You used Life is Strange as another example of Stylisation, but Sims 4 is no where near on-par with that kind of quality. If it were, we wouldn't be complaining xD

That's fair, and I appreciate the apology. I'm also probably being a little over-sensitive right now as I am on 2 hours of sleep, so I'm sorry about that.

Yeah, LiS has much better texture resolution, lighting, etc.
Theorist
#41 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:53 PM
I'm also probably being a little over-sensitive right now as I am on 2 hours of sleep,

Aren't we all x.x The entire community is on-edge. Like a ravenous pack of wolves. We're starving for proper content, and we're ready to tear through and into anyone or anything that is seemingly standing in our way.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#42 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:55 PM
I'm not even bothered by the graphics. As long it's still 3D, I don't really about else the rest things look like. I only want decent gameplay.
Theorist
#43 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I'm not even bothered by the graphics. As long it's still 3D, I don't really about else the rest things look like. I only want decent gameplay.

Eyyyyy
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#44 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 2:09 PM
RuneScape still better than TS4 in gameplay.
Scholar
#45 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 4:07 PM
Honestly - I doubt if the current line of consoles could not handle "sophisticated Sims4 engine", there're phones more powerful than laptop which I'm using for spamming there now. Not mentioning there's no complicated "AI" anywhere within the scope of the basegame or particular EPs - IIRC the default sims' presence is limited to 20 units at the time (+max 8 managed by player) - just like Skyrim, where these settings are almost the same. And, by the way: Skyrim is ugly without serious investment (or serious simplification) and also cut by the corners. Quality of textures (oh, man just look at these terrible 'stone' textures), and overall quality is one of the main complains in the community (visit Nexus for example).

And right - on the actual quality stage (I do not speak of "the style") the game would look terrible on the big TV screen without some tricks, it would not look that bad on the small, handheld device. Because of "small screen" exactly. And, which is much more importand, the gameplay is builded with such kind of devices in mind.

There's serious problem in the industry at the management level - and it's growing. The best artists, programmers, even talented project designers cannot make anything good if they're guided by incompetent staff. Just like that.

---

For not being empty worded: just grab antique software, like Gothic & Gothic2 for example, and compare to the current "top" (in the "CRPG" departament). It's ugly by current standards, though you can make it a bit better, but the gameplay, clunky interface, design decision, world construction, the story, quests, even terrible fight mechanics are at the level which no current production is able to reach (the Witcher included).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Inventor
#46 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

Well... with that mindset games would still look like this:

Graphics are essential to create more immersive experiences. It's not a matter of art style, but of making good use of all the technologies at your disposal to provide a quality experience that will entertain and/or immerse its players. If graphics didn't matter at all, as some people would lead you to believe, might as well keep playing Pong. There's of course the question of choosing a certain art style that has particular graphics attached to it, by even by those standards TS4 sucks compared to other stylized games. If they were going for a stylized approach, they could've done something like this:

Or even this:

Or hell, this looks better graphically and with textures of higher quality (BTW, trees actually look like trees):

This on the other hand is BEYOND SUBPAR even for a stylized game.
There's no excuse for the grass (and all textures for that matter) to look this crappy...

... when even the Sims FreePlay looks better in that aspect:

So yeah, you may not care at all about graphics, but graphics do matter in all visual media. Disregarding graphics is a terrible mistake.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 5:56 PM
I think we're mixing graphics over aesthetics. Here's why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU

Even then I would want gameplay to be improved first hand. After that, the focus could be shifted over looks in patch forms.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#48 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 6:03 PM
Well... with that mindset games would still look like this:

Yeah, I play TR2 more than Sims 4.

There's no excuse for the grass (and all textures for that matter) to look this crappy...

I don't mind the interior textures so much, but the outside textures are blergh.
Scholar
#49 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 6:21 PM
Or even this:

You bring up Toy Story, well just look at what they've done with it in Kingdom Hearts 3. Especially watch the graphics once they go outside.

A The Sims game with that kind of graphics would be so darn beautiful. This is the level of detail we should be seeing in a The Sims game nowadays. Seriously.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Test Subject
#50 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 8:19 PM
I actually got my love for the Sims on a console! All the way back in 2002 I had a Gamecube with The Sims 1 on console, then I got the Urbz, then after Sims 2 came out on console I got that. Then when I was in grade 9 my friend randomly gave me her box set of a few sims 2 games (Back when you could still play without Origin). It was game over from there, I was hooked hahaha.

I feel like the main consumers of TS4 for Xbox will be younger, as I was, and who's parents maybe don't want to buy their kids their own computer for it or have it bloat up the "family computer" (this was my case).
Page 2 of 5