Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 2:04 AM
... huh...

This is a thing, and it has happened.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 2:55 AM
Yes, I believe there was a console version of TS2 as well. I have no ill will towards console versions. My first Sims game was a console Sims game.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:31 AM
Coming to XBox One in November. PS4 not announced yet, but probable. To be combined with the "Perfect Patio" pack.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:45 AM
The real shocker is how long it took for this to get a console release. Watered down versions of the game for consoles is like...a staple of the Sims series (Admittedly, the console versions of TS1 and TS2 were still legitimately fun. TS3...eh).

Though the thought of a watered down version of an already watered down game is nothing short of terrifying

The Receptacle still lives!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:59 AM
"Yo dawg
I heard you like water
So I used some water to water down your water with water"

(sorry couldn't resist)
Forum Resident
#7 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:50 AM
Sim 2's console version was like...fun though.
I can't imagine anyone enjoying S4 base game but with dumber controls.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:56 AM
The only thing that stopped TS2 from being the best of the console versions was the fact that there was only one life stage.

The Receptacle still lives!
Inventor
#9 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 6:04 AM
The console versions were cool because they understood that you just cannot port the PC version to consoles and expect it to work well. Console players are also very different from PC players, although there's overlapping of course, but they expect a more streamlined and simplified gameplay, smoother controls (that only rely on a controller and nothing else), and some sort of incentive other than the sandbox experience. Considering the fact that consoles do have some limitations compared to PCs, so to make up for the restrictions that the game will surely have (no CC compatibility is a given) they have to offer something else. I predict that a direct port of the PC version will fail miserably, but if they actually take some time and add a story mode, optimized controls, plus some extras (like Karma powers in TS3 for consoles, or rain in TS2 for consoles), the game may turn out to be quite successful. Time will tell, but I have ZERO expectations they'd actually take the time needed to create a good version, considering the fact they seem clueless as regards how to deliver content with any sort of depth and polish. They're just VERY incompetent at game development, and although it's working relatively fine in PC because the audience is... more accepting of this incompetence and the fact that many things can be fixed with mods, but a half-assed version is not going to cut it for consoles. So they either do it right, or they will regret it in the future. There's no middle ground here.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 10:18 AM
TS4 was trimmed down to hell and back. If the full game is "trimmed down," (with the exception of anything that has to do with controls or optimization), that'll be sad. Like, super sad. The majority of TS3 made it to the Xbox360, so I see no reason why all of TS4 (a lesser game than TS3) can't fit in the Xbox One.

Also, there's usually a pets console/handheld game alongside the pets expansion pack, so I guess no pets this year?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 2:10 PM
TS4 already plays like a watered-down console version of a PC game to me.

Some lucky EA employee is going to estimate 5 million programming hours for the console project and end up doing a straight port of everything (except toddlers of course) in a single afternoon.
Theorist
#12 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:16 PM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 26th Jul 2017 at 3:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
or rain in TS2 for consoles

If console gets rain before PC does only the gates of Tartaros could keep my wrath at bay...
Forum Resident
#13 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:18 PM
I played some Sims console games and I never liked the ones that were like weird copies of the PC game. I always preferred the ones that were different, e.g. Urbz for PS2 (with all the cool and different districts where you had to dress like them), and Urbz and Bustin' Out for handheld (all these funny quests).
But reading through these posts I'm actually curious what the TS4 console game will contain.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:07 PM
As a player who started playing Sims on console(pets 2 ps2), this doesn't seem too bad. Except for the one household and six Sims limit the Sims 3 port really does a good job at living up to the PC base game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:28 PM
TS4 as a whole theory could live up to be EXACT same thing (apart from CC/MODS/THIRD-PARTY content) from the PC counterpart. I'm not even kiddin - the game as a whole feels like a mobile or a console game, which of course it isn't unpopular opinion.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:41 PM
I bet it'll be an even worse game than Sims 3 for the Wii (even though I like the Wii version because it was the very first Sims game i ever owned and played). Because the Wii version was super watered down and really bad, but at least it had rain two years before Seasons! I'm just thinking...Sims 4 plus console, equals a bad time.
Scholar
#17 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 8:21 PM
It's one of the rare, few reasonable, though seriously late decisions in the matter. TS4 *is* the console-type game (handheld-console type, to be precise) however it lacks proper interface for consoles, which is rudiculous, by the way.
And it would be really cool for certain audience, instead of all that dissapointment, anger and so on which happened with the PC edition. IF I remember correctly I stated that, there on MTS, shortly after the game release. So, if even such dumb and seriosly limited mentally person as me was able to see that...

And about low quality... well, I suppouse from early decade of the century begining and its events and develpment* anyone should be aware than "AAA" actually means "low quality". Or "lower". So to speak.

*yeah, 'ya know - the spiralling downfall of almost any genre in general, there're still exceptions ocasionally but overall it's just... Vomit development.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#18 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 8:49 PM
And it isn't coming to the Switch. Hate to say I told you so. EA pledged their support to the Switch? LOL. They did the same thing for the Wii U.

Can't say anything of value is lost for the Switch, though. Just saying.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Theorist
#19 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
but at least it had rain two years before Seasons!

Again I reiterate
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
If console gets rain before PC does only the gates of Tartaros could keep my wrath at bay.

If I were American I might actually be excited about the free healthcare I'd receive after going to prison
Forum Resident
#20 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 12:09 AM

Their "trailer" which is really just a generic PC base game trailer with a proclamation at the beginning about the ports being confirmed and a release date at the end.

EA continues to be lazy af

(also I'm lowkey salty right now because I made my own thread about this before realizing that you beat me to it by a full 24 hours )

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Theorist
#21 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:06 AM
Playing TS4 with a controller?
Instructor
#22 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
It's one of the rare, few reasonable, though seriously late decisions in the matter. TS4 *is* the console-type game (handheld-console type, to be precise)

Except for one thing, The Sims never performed in consoles as the mainline PC series.
Its also 2017, not 2005 and the PlayStation 2 era is long gone, the following generations have languished to the point we start seeing PC ports of games we never believed they would be on PC outside emulation, since I am ranting a bit ... lets just say this console generation isnt doing that great.

So porting the whole thing from PC to consoles is just not going to work, I mean they will get some money out of it but its not going to save The Sims 4 from being the worst performing main series title in terms of sales, in fact it might be the second death of Maxis if things go poorly and considering The Sims success have ridden on the custom content created by the community ... Do any of you are seeing people picking it up for $49.99 as well buying every single pack? how many people actually play this for years just base game and expansions?

All I see is yet another console cash grab as the roof is falling, its not going to work.
Scholar
#23 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 2:05 AM
Well, actually - whatever they (THEY: reptillians, ghostly Maxis or EA PR&drones) say(s) the game scope is by base design console-like. Handhels' type in particular. Short in plausible experience, highly interactive (kinda), mostly hilarious (that's Sims, right?) , not really engaging for the long-session term but for many players, with its archivement-oriented gameplay, and heavily simplified gameplay, it's not that bad as many used to say. Just wrong device and wrong audience. I had in mind, writting that statement above, devices with dirty-screen interface (aka: "touchscreen" or whatever) which does not suffer typical controller problems (they develops its own, that's another story). The problem is - there is no such interface in game, nor even slightest signs of it, which is plainly dumb. It's like engineering a car without the wheel.

But well - such things happens when you compose completely random team under guidance of completely disconnected with the product managment (but "with ideas", yeah).

The people pays money (or gamble) for pinky gun in schooters. Properly cut in pieces any content from "red recolor for sofa" to any other piece of anything would be sold in one way or another. It's just that kind of market.

I do not dare to say it's a conscious decision. It's EA. There's no brain included. Judging by the effect. It's random, cost-driven, Excel-type decision: "who we did not piss that much yet, so we can sell them that rusty wreckage as a brand new wonder".

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Instructor
#24 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 3:16 AM
What a waste of fucking budget and resources. The Sims 4's nowhere near what it should be.

Previous console releases of Sims games were a lot different, a lot smaller, and (in my opinion) released at a time where Maxis could actually afford releasing console games.

I'm just beyond pissed off right now because this isn't how I wanted to see all the money I spent on The Sims 4 used. Who the hell makes these awful fucking decisions? Jesus Christ.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Inventor
#25 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 3:58 AM
I really would like to see how the TS4's cartonish graphics will look like in console devices. I mean, just imagine people playing this game with those poor quality textures and models on large widescreen televisions.

"Uncharted 4: Nate's House Tour" with quality textures and models from PS4.
Page 1 of 5