Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 7:56 PM
Default Need help modding; celebrity sims not showing up in game?
Hi! My name is DastenHero and I am really new to the site! I just got Sims 2 yesterday, and I had heard about this site before, so I gave it ago! While scrolling through some of the options, I found a Hugh Jackman and a Ryan Gosling sim mod, and I really wanted to download them and use them in the game as I thought it was really funny. Unfortunately, I installed it (it was an automatic installation) and it never shows up in the actual game.

I've gotten other mods to work like the prison suit mod, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what's wrong.

I'm using Windows 10 and the Body Shop doesn't open and just displays the loading circle around my mouse for a second and does nothing. (Also need help on that! :P) I am also using Double Deluxe if that helps. Only using the original Sims 2 and Nightlife. (I think. It says the neighborhoods are not showing up or something like that? I'm honestly confused. XP)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 8:40 PM
Goodness, you are new! You'll find there's a lot to learn - we have a whole thread devoted to things people learned recently, posted in regularly by people who've played since it came out.

Where are you looking for these two? Downloaded sims appear as shells in CAS, under the button that looks like several stylized people, when the gender is set to male and the age to adult. You'll have to make their personalities, turn-ons, and wardrobes as you would any sim you make from scratch. Sometimes the thumbnails get messed up and show the wrong sim, but you can test for this by clicking the thumbnail and seeing if the sim who appears matches. If the sim was made with custom content you don't have, or with elements from an EP or SP you don't have, those items will appear in the thumbnail, but when you make the sim random items will be substituted or the item will simply be missing.

In most game configurations, downloaded sims need to be put into a Saved Sims folder; however, in the earliest expansions they went into Downloads, so it's possible they were sent to the wrong location and the game isn't reading them. Sims are assigned random strings of alphanumerics as file names when packaged and if the maker didn't correct this you won't be able to tell from the name what you've got, but if you look at your files in Details view you'll be able to pick them out from the date, assuming you didn't download and install anything else that day.

Your Bodyshop may well be loading; that bugger takes forever, especially once you start getting CC. Clear your Sims2 cache files, fire it up, and go away for half an hour. Eat or clean or something. If it still hasn't done anything when you come back, it's time to solicit advice specifically from people who use Windows 10, as different operating systems get different problems.

As for the neighborhoods; with only the base game and Nightlife you should have three premade neighborhoods: Pleasantville, Strangetown, and Veronaville. If you see them, you're fine; if not, it's possible something didn't install correctly, or that one of the neighborhoods corrupted immediately. (All the base game neighborhoods ship with a certain amount of corruption, as even the developers didn't anticipate all the ways their code to corrupt.) Gather all the information you can about what is and isn't happening and make a post in the Help forum, and we'll help you figure it out. Don't feel bad if you have to ask for clarification of answers or questions you get. This is a complicated game with a well-established fanbase and no one expects you to know all the terminology or understand how the code is working right out of the gate. Play this game and hang out here for a year and you'll start sounding like an expert.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 10:25 PM
Thank you so much for responding! He, yeah I am really new '^^

I found these sims here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=260928

And here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=265656

They both came as sim2pack files, and where supposed to install automatically, but are not showing up, which is what I was confused about, lol.
Do I need body shop to use these? If so, I have checked my task manager and whenever I try and boot up the Body Shop, it appears for a second and then goes away. I've tried to go through all of the file locations of the original application, but it doesn't work on any of them. I'm using Double Deluxe, if I didn't specify earlier btw. ^^
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 10:39 PM
You don't need body shop.

Have you looked in your data files? What did you find? Is there a Saved Sims folder?

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#5 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 10:47 PM
You'll probably want this to help with installing sims. Just right click on the sims 2 pack and have it open it with this program. it should auto install everything you need to the right directory for it to show up in game. Also check to make sure that CC is enabled in game.

Sims 2 Pack Clean Installer http://modthesims.info/d/409950
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You don't need body shop.

Have you looked in your data files? What did you find? Is there a Saved Sims folder?

There is no saved sims folder. Is that the problem?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:07 PM
Welcome to Mod The Sims.

Never use the games installer always use Clean Installer for sims or lots.

Do make sure to get all essential mods first-the ones that will stop your game blowing itself up.

Never ever delete sims from your game-and that includes graves of dead one.

Items such as sims, clothes, furniture are called CC not mods. Mods are hacks that change game play. This is old sims 2 terminology which differs from other games that calls all CC mods.

If you ever have a simple question post here: silly question thread

If you have a question that can't be answered quickly post to the sims 2 help board and for a Where Can I Find? post to the WCIF board.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:18 PM
I used CleanInstaller, and it still did not work...am I looking in the wrong place?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DastenHero
There is no saved sims folder. Is that the problem?

Possibly. Here's how you find out:

Create a new folder and call it Saved Sims. Once you've downloaded and initiated the Clean Installer, make it the default installer for Sims2Packs. (I don't know how to do this in Windows 10, but it should be easy to figure out, and if not - somebody around here knows, don't worry about that.) Then double click the packs as usual. Observe what happens. Look in your Saved Sims folder. You should now have two package files there.

If you do, load the game, enter CAS, select Adult Male in the menu, and open the Sim Bin. You should see a bunch of Maxis premades, and Hugh and Ryan, ready to be made into sims and moved into your hood.

If you don't, go looking through the data files, and find the one that just added two package files. Move them into the Saved Sims folder, load game etc.

If this doesn't work, come back here, or to the Help Forum, tell us exactly what happened, and I bet we can figure it out. It's rare for a problem to come up that nobody here ever had. But remember, nobody here can see what you're looking at. "It didn't work" isn't enough for us to diagnose the problem - we need to know details to figure out why it didn't work.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DastenHero
am I looking in the wrong place?

To answer that, I think we'd need to know where you are looking.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 4:16 AM
I think I found the problem! As it turns out, I was really stupid and forgot that I'm not the only user on the computer. Not only that, but since we updated to Windows 10, I forgot that it made an extra administrator account that no one uses, but old programs make their default file saves in! Turns out that Hugh and Ryan where downloaded to there, so all I did was move them back! I have yet to try it out, but being that the beard pack I downloaded from earlier worked and so did a dress mesh, I'm almost certain it will work!

Anyway, thank you guys so much for helping me out! I will definitely try tomorrow! (Now I can live out my little La La Land themed dreams. All I need now is to look up how to make a matching Emma Stone on YouTube if I ever get Body Shop working XDD)

Anyway, thanks again! Twas greatly appreciated! ^^
#12 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 1:23 PM
in case body shop doesn't work out for you
Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 8:31 PM
The other thing to remember is to look in the right place. If you're expecting to see them as families in the sim bin, you'll be scratching your head for a long time.

You need to go into Create A Family on the neighbourhood view and then add a sim to the family. Select the gender and age of the sim you're looking for, and then look for the two top buttons (dice and six "people" figures) Click the figures button as this will take you to sim templates, and your downloaded sims should appear there.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...