Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 26th May 2017 at 3:23 AM
There is no need to reinstall your game, that only works if you have corrupted something in the installation files. Hood corruption is in the neighbourhood folder found in Documents> EA Games> The Sims 2.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#27 Old 26th May 2017 at 5:50 AM
Okay. But do you have any ideas on what I'm supposed to do with this shopping bag glitch problem? I did make a couple of suggestions myself but I don't want to try them unless I have no other option or someone here says that I should do that rather than wait for other options.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 26th May 2017 at 5:57 AM
You could take a look in SimPE but apart from that I am out of ideas. Glitches pile up the longer a corrupted hood is played. Did you run Hood Checker like I suggested?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th May 2017 at 6:06 AM
I don't have it. I've tried downloading it, but I don't know how to install it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 26th May 2017 at 7:41 AM
You install it to your desktop, it's an external program like simPE.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 26th May 2017 at 7:59 AM
I've never been able to install it though.

I'll try rereading the instructions.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:05 AM
Okay I've done what it's suggested. Now what am I meant to do? My PC doesn't recognise what program is needed to use HoodChecker.

Oh never mind, I think I got it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:18 AM
The Hood Checker exe file is inside the rar you just click on it.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#34 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:37 AM
Okay I've run it. But how do I save the changes?
Instructor
#35 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:39 AM
You don't have to, it does it automatically after you press "remove".
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#36 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:41 AM
Oh, okay.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:59 AM
Some glitches can't be fixed. I'm not sure on what logic you're basing this insistence that this one must be able to. The game clearly thinks that he's at a business with unfinished purchases. The only thing I could suggest would be to create that situation so that the game can complete it. So what I'd try is to visit the business using the owner, then invite Mr. Bagman to the lot and perform sales interactions on him until he buys something, then let him pay, hopefully, the bag should disappear. If it still doesn't work, try having the business owner sell the community lot and open a home business. It might work better if you move the problem sim out first (I'd suggest properly, not using a teleporter).

The reason I asked about deleted sims is that this will have corrupted the hood which does cause unfixable glitches. Just because you've decided this is unrelated, doesn't mean that it is unrelated. I think it's perfectly likely to be related, personally.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#38 Old 26th May 2017 at 8:59 AM
Tried the HoodChecker. Didn't fix the shopping bag though. Darn. There are methods that can allow members of a household to be moved out with the tombstone of life and death and into another already existing household, move them out, and back into the first house. Though I really don't want to have to run the risk of personal belongings being lost, and I preferably don't want to have to place everything in the inventory since it's a real pain to do.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#39 Old 26th May 2017 at 9:42 AM
This is what I have been trying to say, that it may not be fixable because the hood is corrupted. Corrupted hoods do eventually go kaboom. For some it's many glitches until its unplayable, others find sims or their hood vanish or the hood crashes.

You could try SimPE maybe there is some code to do with shopping bags, but I have no clue where or what it should be set to. If it is very important that this sim be shopping bag free you may want to extract and clone him, then kill off the original and replace with the clone setting him up in SimPE to be the same.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#40 Old 26th May 2017 at 10:00 AM
What I proposed in my previous message would work. It would just be a pain to do that's all. I'm pretty sure that would fix the glitch - adding the Sims to another existing household and then moving them out and back into the first household to make the game recognise them as a new household and not bringing the glitch with them because the glitch is saved with the first household, moving them all out to make the house unoccupied would eradicate that household entirely, and moving the four Sims back in using the method I described, will make the game think it's a new household moving in but consisting of the same four Sims. - I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to do that without moving all the belongings into the inventory if I'm going to prevent them from being sold when I move the Sims back in. I'd rather not move everything into the inventory and out again, because it would be rather tedious.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 26th May 2017 at 10:05 AM
Might do, might not. Moving out and in can clear some issues. Plonk down the stay all shrub, click to make objects stay and move them. Stay all shrub is from simlogical I think.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#42 Old 26th May 2017 at 10:53 AM
Stay all shrub? Never heard of it. I should see if I can find it.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 26th May 2017 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by C.Syde65
Stay all shrub? Never heard of it. I should see if I can find it.

Look on this page and scroll a little and it is called the Stay Things Shrub http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...2_MiscHacks.htm

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#44 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 12:50 AM
I've been quite busy lately but I'll try to find some time to test to see if the stay things shrub and my suggestion above works.
Top Secret Researcher
#45 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 1:21 AM
But have you tried moving him out normally? You seem to use the Tombstone a lot, but hacked objects and complicated methods are better not used when there is an easy, in-game way to do things. I'm not sure artificially changing the family a sim belongs to with a cheating object has the same resetting power as a real move-out. They may cry when the taxi comes for him, but they'll be even happier when he comes back after he paid his debts^^

I assume the sim joined the household after he shopped in their owned business (and didn't pay for his purchase)? I would move him out, for real, and maybe even have the business owner open the business and let bagman visit and have a chance to pay. Then he can move back in.

Business owners can also have some extra options on the batbox, and maybe have to be on the business lot for that, don't remember. Orphan something? I would try that too, for all we know it might cancel long lost shopping bags.

Personally, I would also have a look at the sim's memories in SimPE, memories and tokens. Unpaid purchases sound like the kind of stuff that could be stored there (tokens like "browsing now"?). I would experiment on a testing copy to see if I can find something like that to delete and whether it solves the problem.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#46 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 2:57 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure if I ever thought of that. I could try it, though I'm not 100% certain that it will fix the issue, since the glitch seems to be stuck to the household, and if that's the case, the only sure fine way to fix it would be by moving the household out through the Tombstone of Life and Death, moving them out of another household and back into the house they lived in originally, to make the game recognise them as a different household but under the same name with the same members.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 5:00 AM
Make a backup of your neighborhood as it is right now, Mr. Bag and all. Put it somewhere safe.
Try any of these suggestions, including your own. If it works, great! If it doesn't, try another suggestion. And if anything you try screws things up even worse, delete the neighborhood and put in a copy of the backup you just made and keep trying suggestions.

Since a stuck shopping bag apparently isn't a common problem, it's not likely that anybody is going to have a quick two second solution. You'll just have to keep trying things until you find the one that works.

I'd try Lili975's suggestion before moving the whole family in and out and up and down (sounds like the hokey pokey, lol.) Since the bag is stuck to one particular sim, see if you can fix that sim first, instead of assuming that the glitch belongs to the household.
Top Secret Researcher
#48 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by C.Syde65
Hmm. I'm not sure if I ever thought of that. I could try it, though I'm not 100% certain that it will fix the issue, since the glitch seems to be stuck to the household, and if that's the case, the only sure fine way to fix it would be by moving the household out through the Tombstone of Life and Death, moving them out of another household and back into the house they lived in originally, to make the game recognise them as a different household but under the same name with the same members.
No, no, and no. With all due respect, and without the faintest hint of hostility, so hopefully it doesn't sound harsh, but I have to tell you that you keep running in circles, asking for advice you refuse to listen to, and all the while your sim's arm is getting sore from carrying that bag around for months (years?) now.

The glitch is stuck to your sim, or have you seen other members of his household carrying the bag?
The game recognizes members of different households just fine, even if they share the same name. Every single sim in the whole neighbourhood complete with all of its subhoods could be called Goopy Gilscarbo, and the game would still know who belongs to which Family (=households).

Your speculations about what could fix the bag issue are just that, and won't achieve anything until you actually test the things that have been suggested. Why not give it a try, using a testing, throwaway copy? You wouldn't risk anything, with your actual saved game safely stored somewhere else.

You never answered several points, among which, what is this obsession with moving sims using a hidden cheat object? Are the taxis on strike?
The reason moving out (and then if needed back in) solves issues is because it resets stuff. You, on the other hand, keep trying to fake a move out without actually moving out so you wouldn't have to reset anything.
What are the belongings you are so afraid lo lose? Family paintings can be saved and restored using SimPE in case they glitch and become that orange abstract. Diplomas and such can be stored in the inventory, and even re-issued using Pescado's debugger, if needed. And so on.
The house deco can be redone, you just have to take pictures of how and where everything is now.

Have you even tried moving bagman out and then moving him in on a random empty lot? Or closing the business down? I'm sorry if you did, and said so, and I missed it. But the thread is now almost 50 answers long and a year and a half old. If that solved it then the household wouldn't lose any of the belongings you seem so attached to (even though objects and furniture, especially "owned" objects like beds and such, are often the source of the problem and should be deleted.)

Have you considered just letting the sim keep his beloved shopping bag, since you seem so reluctant to sacrifice anything to free him of it? Just be aware that you might even lose the house completely. I had one sim with a bar tray stuck to his body, and I didn't do anything about it because I was inexperienced and it was funny, and one day I couldn't load the lot anymore, had to move them out and back in and they lost everything, including three generations of family pictures and portraits. Sure it doesn't mean it's the same issue for you (and I can't be 100% sure it was my tray-man who caused the lot to not load anymore) but you might lose more in the end because you didn't want to lose anything.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#49 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 11:41 PM
A move out needs to be a proper move out-use the newspaper or phone for individual sims, do not use the Tombstone since that does not reset anything.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#50 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 10:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
No, no, and no. With all due respect, and without the faintest hint of hostility, so hopefully it doesn't sound harsh, but I have to tell you that you keep running in circles, asking for advice you refuse to listen to, and all the while your sim's arm is getting sore from carrying that bag around for months (years?) now.

The glitch is stuck to your sim, or have you seen other members of his household carrying the bag?
The game recognizes members of different households just fine, even if they share the same name. Every single sim in the whole neighbourhood complete with all of its subhoods could be called Goopy Gilscarbo, and the game would still know who belongs to which Family (=households).

Your speculations about what could fix the bag issue are just that, and won't achieve anything until you actually test the things that have been suggested. Why not give it a try, using a testing, throwaway copy? You wouldn't risk anything, with your actual saved game safely stored somewhere else.

You never answered several points, among which, what is this obsession with moving sims using a hidden cheat object? Are the taxis on strike?
The reason moving out (and then if needed back in) solves issues is because it resets stuff. You, on the other hand, keep trying to fake a move out without actually moving out so you wouldn't have to reset anything.
What are the belongings you are so afraid lo lose? Family paintings can be saved and restored using SimPE in case they glitch and become that orange abstract. Diplomas and such can be stored in the inventory, and even re-issued using Pescado's debugger, if needed. And so on.
The house deco can be redone, you just have to take pictures of how and where everything is now.

Have you even tried moving bagman out and then moving him in on a random empty lot? Or closing the business down? I'm sorry if you did, and said so, and I missed it. But the thread is now almost 50 answers long and a year and a half old. If that solved it then the household wouldn't lose any of the belongings you seem so attached to (even though objects and furniture, especially "owned" objects like beds and such, are often the source of the problem and should be deleted.)

Have you considered just letting the sim keep his beloved shopping bag, since you seem so reluctant to sacrifice anything to free him of it? Just be aware that you might even lose the house completely. I had one sim with a bar tray stuck to his body, and I didn't do anything about it because I was inexperienced and it was funny, and one day I couldn't load the lot anymore, had to move them out and back in and they lost everything, including three generations of family pictures and portraits. Sure it doesn't mean it's the same issue for you (and I can't be 100% sure it was my tray-man who caused the lot to not load anymore) but you might lose more in the end because you didn't want to lose anything.

The biggest issue behind moving the household out the proper way is because of the large number of belongings that have been added to the household, a lot of them are smaller things that take up only one or two squares if you're wondering why there's such a lot of objects. I just don't want to go through the trouble of having to lose all the belongings. I already had to move the household out once, I can't remember exactly why I did it but it was probably to fix the shopping bag glitch, and if that was the reason, it didn't fix it. It was such a pain to move everything back in, so I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of moving everything to the inventory and back again, a whole second time.
Page 2 of 3