Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*The Rhodes Building* w/ Garden Lot - No CC!

by Phaenoh Posted 26th Apr 2017 at 11:25 PM - Updated 26th Aug 2020 at 9:09 PM by Phaenoh

24 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 11 Feedback Posts, 12 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 11:39 PM
Default Hello
Looks gorgeous
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#3 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 11:55 PM
Lovely building- this is one of my favorite styles to try to emulate in my more boho neighborhoods, I may end up borrowing a few elements from the Rhodes in the future!

Question- how did you overlap the fencing and arbor around the garden? That could be a very useful effect in quite a few of my lots, actually...
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Question- how did you overlap the fencing and arbor around the garden?
It's a normal game behavior actually. The trellis is the only 'fence-arch' in the game and it naturally has the ability to do that. Numenor wrote about it more in his expansion set.

I'm so glad you like my building! I'm always trying to emulate your work with all the details you put into everything and combining things in unique ways. I was 'channeling' you on the front facade.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
It's a normal game behavior actually. The trellis is the only 'fence-arch' in the game and it naturally has the ability to do that. Numenor wrote about it more in his expansion set.

I'm so glad you like my building! I'm always trying to emulate your work with all the details you put into everything and combining things in unique ways. I was 'channeling' you on the front facade.

Huh. I guess you learn something new everyday! I'll have to remember that one!

Also, *blushes*

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#6 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 1:22 AM
Really like what you did here. It's a nice small building useful for a small township settings, perfect for those 'tiny down-town' effects.
Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 2:39 PM
I love it, thank you. The style fits in perfectly with the hood I am currently putting together.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator THANKS POST
#8 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 5:41 PM
Gorgeous apartment building, Phae!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 12:05 AM
We've missed your creations!
Link Ninja
#10 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 5:53 PM
I LOVE how you incorporated this apartment with the contest guidelines. I didn't know about the mod to allow community lots to go with apartment ones so I will have to check it out. I love all the different floor plans, excellent job with this beautiful apartment lot!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 7:02 PM
Thank you, I really like this. :)
Theorist
THANKS POST
#12 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 12:29 PM
I've been keeping and eye on your builds in the Community Spirit contest thread, and absolutely love what you're coming up with.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#13 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 5:41 PM
Very nice building! What about the plants? Can they be poured because they grow on such a platform?
Link Ninja
THANKS POST
#14 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 7:00 PM
@gabilei123 I'm not sure if this would work but you could try having the 'water inaccessible plants' mod
Link Ninja
THANKS POST
#15 Old 3rd May 2017 at 6:02 AM Last edited by Charmful : 3rd May 2017 at 6:28 AM.
@Phaenoh I have a question - if you play test this, can you go into build mode when you have a sim rent the apartment and grab furniature? Because I can't seem to move any furniature around once the family moves in and rents the apartment (with the rent furnished apartment option) just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

EDIT - Actually, after a few minutes after I had the apartment rented, a pop up showed to remind me to claim an apartment. I thought this was odd considering I had already had them rent it. Then I noticed that there's a door to balcony and a door to the stairwell so I am wondering, how did you get this to function as an apartment if there's two exits and it's generally discussed that to make an apartment work you need one exit (to an open space, while any other exits must be closed - the fire escape stairs can freely go from one apartment to the other)

I may have to take out the balcony doors to get this to work but am curious to know.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd May 2017 at 7:12 AM
The balcony is technically closed off with those flat floor dividers. I thought they behaved the same as the invisible fence trick, but I guess not. Try swapping out those step over fences with an actual fence and see if that fixes the problem. Thank you for bringing it to my attention that they may not work the same.
Link Ninja
#17 Old 3rd May 2017 at 6:06 PM
Ok that's good to know I will take a look.

It was acting sort of funny, because the first thing the couple I moved did (I have ACR) was walk into the bedroom on the first floor (without having rented the apartment yet) and try to woohoo but of course I couldn't see the bed so they were kind of floating there.

The other thing I wanted to mention, and this is for anyone who has the mod called 'Shiny Tyme NPC Everywhere Patch ', it will spawn cooks for every apartment because of the combo community lot aspect I assume. I had to do a double take as they kept walking up the fire escape and complaining another cook was in their way, so I had to swap the stoves out in every unit to prevent that from happening again.

Link Ninja
#18 Old 6th May 2017 at 4:06 AM
@Phaenoh I tested it with other fencing and it solved the issue - I can rent and am able to move furniture around now

**Edit**

It doesn't work with testingcheats enabled on, I keep getting an error that will not go away when I click reset or cancel and the only way to get rid of it is 'delete' and once I do that then nothing in the rented apartment is selectable in buy mode.

It DOES work if I rent unfurnished without testingcheats on.

So it might be that walk-through does work, I haven't tested renting unfurnished with the walk-through divider yet. I had always tried renting it furnished and it threw the error.

retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th May 2017 at 4:54 AM
I've swapped out the fence in the uploaded version last night, would you mind downloading the new one and seeing if it works? I also did a bunch of fence testing the other night so I understand a bit more on what works and what doesn't. Fingers crossed!
Link Ninja
#20 Old 6th May 2017 at 5:01 AM Last edited by Charmful : 6th May 2017 at 6:52 AM.
Ok! I will. I was playing around with it tonight, another note I will add is that there are vending machines on the main floor but nowhere to put the trash from it. And since it's an apartment I cannot simply turn move_objects on and remove it in buy mode since it's not in the renter's apt space, and I had her manually try cleaning it up but she gets a little bubble with an x through an apartment door and she keeps putting it back on the ground.

***Edit***
Re-downloaded and tested. I put testing cheats on and got a different error, one about climate controller and wasn't able to cancel or reset so I deleted that and then my sim wasn't able to rent furnished at all, the action kept disappearing. The error previously was an apartment objects error but would let me rent furnished, just wouldn't let move the furniture once the space was rented. However this version works fine when renting unfurnished like a normal player should in a vanilla game. I have a feeling the errors are more due to the mod for having the store on the main floor work with an apartment.

And if worst comes to worse, I can always just re-docarate my renter sims apartment according to your pics

***Double Edit***
I moved sim out, went to build mode and added a trash can, moved sim back in , put testing cheats on and then was able to rent furnished AND move the furniture. SUCCESS! In addition, now that apartments are fenced off, I DO NOT need to remove/replace the stove because of the shinytyme mod that spawns cafeteria workers on community lots.

Thanks for putting up with all my feedback, it's a very beautiful apartment building <3

retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th May 2017 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
Thanks for putting up with all my feedback, it's a very beautiful apartment building <3
No, thank you for providing it all! I'm currently working on a large downtown hood and more than a few of those apartments would have had the same problem but because you did testing, I've been able to preempt that whole situation!
Link Ninja
#22 Old 6th May 2017 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
No, thank you for providing it all! I'm currently working on a large downtown hood and more than a few of those apartments would have had the same problem but because you did testing, I've been able to preempt that whole situation!

Oh good! I'm back in it this morning, situating my sim that rented and have another note, though doesn't affect play but in the top two units in the both bedrooms there is a random blue blind that cannot be removed, even when the sim has rented the space. Don't know why but I'm just covering it up with another curtain.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 19th May 2017 at 7:34 PM
Love it! Can't wait to move my 20something year old Sim here.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#24 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 12:53 PM
Thank you so much for sharing these. I love their garden and community areas the most!
Link Ninja
#25 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 8:46 AM
So here's a pair of lady room mates I moved into the first apartment floor in the Rhodes building. I did a lot of interior re-design (custom content) to get a yellow/black scheme but hopefully you can see the shapes you originally laid out for the floor plan. The second bedroom was nice in this instance because all the other apartments I have in game are only suited for like one sim - so it's nice to play some sim room mates