Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 12:24 AM Last edited by MeteoricDragon : 19th Aug 2016 at 3:07 AM.
How to nest Pie menu categories in other categories?
I have the following XML Pie Menu category: Its labeled MODS...

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<I c="PieMenuCategory" i="pie_menu_category" m="interactions.pie_menu_category" n="MeteoricDragon_ModsMenu_PieCategory" s="13955927727549840158">
  <T n="_collapsible">False<!--Makes pie menus not collapsible--></T>
  <T n="_display_name">0xE237CDF8<!--String: "MODS..."--></T>
  <T n="_display_priority">3</T>
</I>

And I've verified that the pie menu category shown above works. I've added a category line to some interactions and those interactions successfully appear in the MODS... category. This is category line that I add to the interactions:

Code:
<T n="category">13955927727549840158</T><!--MODS...-->

I'd like to nest the following Pie Menu category "Show Sim Info" in the MODS... Pie Menu Category:

Code:
<I c="PieMenuCategory" i="pie_menu_category" m="interactions.pie_menu_category" n="Ita_ShowSimInfo_PieCategory" s="13503422323431079353">
  <T n="_collapsible">False</T>
  <T n="_display_name">0xE8B86CF1<!--Show Sim Info--></T>
</I>

(the code above is from the ShowSimInfo mod. v1.9.2)

but when I add a category line to the following line to the ShowSimInfo PieCategory, it doesn't appear nested when clicking on the MODS pie menu. It stays exactly where it was. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Code:
<I c="PieMenuCategory" i="pie_menu_category" m="interactions.pie_menu_category" n="Ita_ShowSimInfo_PieCategory" s="13503422323431079353">
</I>
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 9th Sep 2016 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MeteoricDragon
I have the following XML Pie Menu category: Its labeled MODS...

Code:
<I c="PieMenuCategory" i="pie_menu_category" m="interactions.pie_menu_category" n="MeteoricDragon_ModsMenu_PieCategory" s="13955927727549840158">
  <T n="_collapsible">False<!--Makes pie menus not collapsible--></T>
  <T n="_display_name">0xE237CDF8<!--String: "MODS..."--></T>
</I>

And I've verified that the pie menu category shown above works. I've added a category line to some interactions and those interactions successfully appear in the MODS... category. This is category line that I add to the interactions:

Code:

I'd like to nest the following Pie Menu category "Show Sim Info" in the MODS... Pie Menu Category:

Code:
</I>

(the code above is from the ShowSimInfo mod. v1.9.2)

but when I add a category line to the following line to the ShowSimInfo PieCategory, it doesn't appear nested when clicking on the MODS pie menu. It stays exactly where it was. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Code:
 <T n="_parent">13955927727549840158</T><!--MODS...-->
</I>
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by azoresman
Code:
 <T n="_parent">13955927727549840158</T><!--MODS...-->
</I>

Thanks for your reply! I have tried the code you entered and the result unfortunately did not work, see "Show Sim Info..." below, should actually appear under "MODS....."

Instructor
#4 Old 25th Sep 2016 at 7:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MeteoricDragon
Thanks for your reply! I have tried the code you entered and the result unfortunately did not work, see "Show Sim Info..." below, should actually appear under "MODS....."

I'll do it here and send you a working package.
Most of that mod is done solely in python !!!
Anyway I will do it for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Sep 2016 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by azoresman
I'll do it here and send you a working package.
Most of that mod is done solely in python !!!
Anyway I will do it for you.

Thanks much, is the python code overriding what I'm doing in the XML?
Smeg Head
#6 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 7:49 AM
Hello, there. Very recently I was running into a spot of bother over this exact thing. Altering an XML resulting in either no change to pie menu or completely breaking all pie menu choices so they do no display on an object. (The latter especially if you alter a pre-existing Maxis XML, rather than a unique, newly generated XML.) From what I have gathered, such pie menu nesting commands on an XML further need to be backed up with a corresponding SimData file. All the Maxis XML examples I've looked at all have their corresponding SimData file.

My next step was to then learn how to indeed generate a new, unique SimData file to match up with my unique, new XML. I still do not know how to successfully make a new SimData file which the game and the new XML will recognise. Though I have not given it a thorough attempt.

Galaxy777 gave a good suggestion to take a look at the plasticbox Juicer mod. Where a new SimData file has been made to work with the new XMLs of the mod to have nested pie menu choices on the Juicer object.

My next step will be to reverse engineer what platicbox did, to see where I'm going wrong in successfully connecting new SimData file and new XML so they are happy with each other and the game is happy with them, and my objects have nested pie menu options. I think the SimData file and XML have to share the same Instance number? At least I hope it's that easy. I'm a total noob when it comes to SimData files, especially generating new ones.