Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 10:01 AM
Imported mesh [.obj] to make sims clothes [?possible]
Hello, this is my first post here. i hope this is the right section for it, since i also saw some body meshes topics and such.
Anyway, I'll try to explain this the best way possible.

I've edited some clothes already using Milkshape, [changing shapes, doing shoe swaps, etc] but that's as far as i went 'messing around' with meshes. The thing is, they were ALL exported From the sims game, so they already had All the information i needed, right?! the skeleton, the bone assignments, and such.

But now i want to 'convert' a full body garment, from a game to my sims 2. I've found the 3d model of it on deviantart, were everyone uses the Maya program to extract meshes from games, so it came in .mesh format, i have a converter program and changed it to .obj so i could import in Milkshape -since the program doesn't have any specific milkshape file type to convert.

When i import on Milkshape the model appears 'perfectly' but it doesn't show any 'colored' group parts, nor the skeleton. -so far so good, i've imagined it doesn't show any of those, because it wasn't exported from Sims.

The question is, can i 'place' this whole outfit over the Skeleton of any mesh i've imported from Sims so it'll be in place correctly and have all the information already or can i create a new whole outfit in Milkshape with the base from sims 2 [i mean just the skeleton/body base, so i can 'paste' this outfit over it and assign the parts to move and how later on]

By the way the model came with .tga textures and i believe they are linked in the model on milkshape since they apear 'material' part, but it doesn't show any colored parts when i try to 'see which parts would be colored or not in the 3d model. but this is not priority for now i just really want to know if i can make working clothes for Sims, importing a mesh from another game that aren't Sims, and how is the best way to do it.

---
idk if i could make clear the situation about the mesh and the question per se, i'll try to explain better if not.
and this is just because i'm curious about it, so if it's way too hard to make it work i'll try to ask someone more expert in meshing to make the outfit for me xD i just really want to try by myself first

thanks in advance for anyone patient enough to read all of this -sorry by the way haha- and if you have any tips or ideas thanks again and again <3
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 8:05 PM
Move to Bodyshop Meshing since it is about making clothes.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 10:12 PM
If the imported mesh doesn't have any bone assignments, you'll have to add them yourself. With a full-body mesh, that would be tricky. You can assign bones in MilkShape, but with a full-body mesh you'd have to assign everything... down to the fingers and toes. Otherwise, it won't animate properly.

It is possible to import the mesh over an existing skeleton and then assign the bones... but it would probably take a very long time to get everything right. I don't think I'd want to attempt that project!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2016 at 5:46 PM Last edited by jennyferhk : 14th Aug 2016 at 5:48 PM. Reason: messed up characters haha
aaaw *n*.....not a big surprise actually, i really thought if that was the only way, i'd have to assign a lot of things [but not entirely, wasn't thinking with much logic at the time xD]

=/ too bad, it was Raiden's upgraded outfit from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, now i'm sad xD i guess i'll just stick with making his custom skin HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Thanks anyway sweetie. >u<
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2016 at 1:37 AM
If you find a similar mesh (roughly the same shape and size) ingame, you can use that one as a guide, and copy/paste the bone assignments vertex by vertex. It's tedious, but at least it's a bit easier than figuring out everything on your own. I've done it to a few TS3 meshes I've converted to TS2, but since making clothes isn't one of my talents, I've had various results, and had to do a lot of ingame testing (mostly because infant skeletons are very difficult to work with...)

But the clothes you want to make is probably meant for toddlers or above, so you can use the animation tools to move the joints around, to see if everything is moving like you want it to.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Aug 2016 at 4:41 PM
Well, there's a TSR tool to copy the bone assignment from one mesh to the other, the used of which is explained as a part of Serenity Fall's TS3 clothing conversion tutorial. As long as your .obj mesh is in a similar T pose to the default sims body, I don't see how the same process couldn't be recreated on it.

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.