Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2016 at 8:37 PM
Default Creating Custom Careers?
I know someone made a guide on Custom Careers that's now obsolete. But, Is it now impossible? Or has no one just figured out how to do it now?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 10:32 PM
Yeah. That would be awesome if someone knew how.
Test Subject
#3 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 10:50 AM
Well, it's definitely not impossible. Since that tutorial and the (now obsolete) teaching career were made, Zerbu's made the Politics career, and right here at MTS, Neia recently made a biology career. I'm going to try and make a custom career myself, soon, so I guess I'll see how hard or easy it is first hand.

Interestingly enough, I feel like the Sims 4 is highly moddable...I think we don't have a lot of custom careers not because it's impossible to do, but maybe because not enough people are interested in doing it, or maybe people don't take enough initiative to figure out how to make things on their own without tutorials (not a dig at you, OP, but I've seemed to notice that a lot in the community). From my first hand experience, I recently got into making custom party mods. Before I made them, the only other person who had was Zerbu. Is that because they're impossible to do? Not at all, but there's no tutorial and it required me learning everything on my own. Since I've made them, everyone has come out the woodwork asking for tutorials. Fair enough, but anyone else could do as I did (and Zerbu before me, I'm sure) and figure it out from scratch.

I guess all this is to say if you know a bit about XML modding, why not try and figure it out. Waiting for someone to make a tutorial is fine, but it might not ever happen. Maybe you'll be the one to make a tutorial for others It's obviously not impossible to do, since others have done it, and it might not be as hard to teach yourself as you think, but you'll never know until you try. Start off with the XML File Finder and look at the way the base game careers work. Then go from there That's what I'm planning to do (and all this is coming from someone who about 2 months ago barely knew how to use Zerbu's Buff and Trait Factory...now I do all my buffs, traits, events, etc. from scratch )

Good luck!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by brittpinkie
Well, it's definitely not impossible. Since that tutorial and the (now obsolete) teaching career were made, Zerbu's made the Politics career, and right here at MTS, Neia recently made a biology career. I'm going to try and make a custom career myself, soon, so I guess I'll see how hard or easy it is first hand.

Interestingly enough, I feel like the Sims 4 is highly moddable...I think we don't have a lot of custom careers not because it's impossible to do, but maybe because not enough people are interested in doing it, or maybe people don't take enough initiative to figure out how to make things on their own without tutorials (not a dig at you, OP, but I've seemed to notice that a lot in the community). From my first hand experience, I recently got into making custom party mods. Before I made them, the only other person who had was Zerbu. Is that because they're impossible to do? Not at all, but there's no tutorial and it required me learning everything on my own. Since I've made them, everyone has come out the woodwork asking for tutorials. Fair enough, but anyone else could do as I did (and Zerbu before me, I'm sure) and figure it out from scratch.

I guess all this is to say if you know a bit about XML modding, why not try and figure it out. Waiting for someone to make a tutorial is fine, but it might not ever happen. Maybe you'll be the one to make a tutorial for others It's obviously not impossible to do, since others have done it, and it might not be as hard to teach yourself as you think, but you'll never know until you try. Start off with the XML File Finder and look at the way the base game careers work. Then go from there That's what I'm planning to do (and all this is coming from someone who about 2 months ago barely knew how to use Zerbu's Buff and Trait Factory...now I do all my buffs, traits, events, etc. from scratch )

Good luck!

I agree. It's all not impossible, just there are very few tutorials. I faced myself with the same problem. All mods i'm working on, i'm making myself with a little help from some creators. But there are a lot of questions with which i figure out only by myself, 'cause there are no tutorials about these questions (for ex., i didn't find any tutorials about how to create an object with a custom animation or how to replace an animation for some objects, and maybe someone'll help me, maybe not, in any case i'm gonna to figure it out, because i very want to know how can create such objects).

P.S. If i'll figure out with all of that, maybe i'll write some tutorials about all my mods that i created (or i'll create).
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wizirdi
I know someone made a guide on Custom Careers that's now obsolete. But, Is it now impossible? Or has no one just figured out how to do it now?

You need just find all xml files from one career by using S4S. You can do it also with help of XML Extractor, but with S4S it's more easier.
I can imagine what you need to do to create your own career, 'cause i was figuring out with that when i was looking for a solution for a bug with the start of working time. But i didn't create any custom career yet to say exactly how you can do it. So i can share only my ideas with you.
Test Subject
#6 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Galaxy777
I agree. It's all not impossible, just there are very few tutorials. I faced myself with the same problem. All mods i'm working on, i'm making myself with a little help from some creators. But there are a lot of questions with which i figure out only by myself, 'cause there are no tutorials about these questions (for ex., i didn't find any tutorials about how to create an object with a custom animation or how to replace an animation for some objects, and maybe someone'll help me, maybe not, in any case i'm gonna to figure it out, because i very want to know how can create such objects).

P.S. If i'll figure out with all of that, maybe i'll write some tutorials about all my mods that i created (or i'll create).

AFAIK (and this is coming from OrangeMittens and Andrew at S4S), creating an object with a custom animation is very hard for TS4. It hasn't been done much...Andrew successfully made a grandfather clock, and I think that's about it. I always hear about people trying, but I think the way TS4 is created has made it hard for people to do animations. That being said, I know nothing about that sort of thing so maybe it's easier than we all think. I think of it the same way I think of anything- go for it if you're passionate and perhaps you'll be the one to figure out it's not impossible!

Quote: Originally posted by Galaxy777
You need just find all xml files from one career by using S4S. You can do it also with help of XML Extractor, but with S4S it's more easier.

I usually prefer using the XML Extractor/File Finder, but it's actually a good point to note that S4S can do the same tools and extract your files right into the .package. I might actually change my method for this career I'm working on, as it's SO many files (and I plan on doing chance cards, which I noticed the Biology career and the obsolete teaching career don't have), so I need to stay organized. Thanks for reminding me of that
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 2:51 AM
AFAIK (and this is coming from OrangeMittens and Andrew at S4S), creating an object with a custom animation is very hard for TS4. It hasn't been done much...Andrew successfully made a grandfather clock, and I think that's about it. I always hear about people trying, but I think the way TS4 is created has made it hard for people to do animations. That being said, I know nothing about that sort of thing so maybe it's easier than we all think. I think of it the same way I think of anything- go for it if you're passionate and perhaps you'll be the one to figure out it's not impossible!

No. it's not so hard. It's more easier than you think. I almost did it but i faced with some problems 'cause i'm trying to replace already existing animation, or rather a sound file in already existing animation, and i changed not all links and files. Maybe it's my mistake. But it makes me think that more easier to create everything from scratch. I mean take a new package file, copy all necessary animations, interactions, tunings and add all of that in object package. And then to change all links and everything what you want. At any rate i'll try this way now. And if it'll fail, then i'll figure out what i'm doing wrong. I don't see another way, 'cause i'm still looking for right answers, but still not finding anything. In any case i just tired from these searches. It's not so easy trying to get all answers by trial and errors, especially when you don't have any experience in this sphere. But that's not that can stop me. And i hope i'm not the only one who thinks so.

Quote:
I usually prefer using the XML Extractor/File Finder, but it's actually a good point to note that S4S can do the same tools and extract your files right into the .package. I might actually change my method for this career I'm working on, as it's SO many files (and I plan on doing chance cards, which I noticed the Biology career and the obsolete teaching career don't have), so I need to stay organized. Thanks for reminding me of that

I'm gonna to create new open career and if i can, it'll something big and interesting. But to can to make it, i need to learn lots of things. I hope i can do this in the end. Maybe i'll even be glad to some cooperation in that.

P.S. I have a lot interesting ideas, but unfortunately i can't do all at the same time.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Feb 2017 at 1:32 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for your amazing modeling/ fashion career. I am semi skilled in modding but writing code is way beyond me and my time abilities, at least for the moment. Please make more custom careers. HUGE thanks again! :D
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 10:46 PM

Good luck!

Easy for you to say I know nothing about modding and editing files Nothing zero