Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 7:31 PM
Default CAW Edit in Game issue - crashing!
Alright, I tried posting this one in an existing thread, but it's been days with no response, so posting here to hopefully get some assistance. Other thread is way old, anyway.

Well, I just got everything installed on a new computer, and found a problem with the CAW, again. The tool opens fine, but the "edit in game" will not open. ALl I get is a message that The Sims 3 has stopped working, and no clue as to why. When I say that's all I get, I mean I don't see any loading screen or anything. Blank screen, and then it crashes. It does this in full screen and windowed mode the same way.

I have checked the "compatVersion" and "WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion", and they seem to match. The base game shows the following information:
GameVersion = 1.67.2.024001
CompatVersion = 24
WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion = 21

Latest expansion (Into the Future) shows:
GameVersion = 21.0.150.024001
CompatVersion = 24
The CAW shows:
GameVersion = 1.19.6.024037
CompatVersion = 24

So, the two lines that ought to match, do match. The game loads fine by itself as well, and plays as it should, so I know that isn't the issue. Only thing I see is that the game version is different for the CAW, and I couldn't locate anything that talks about that.

Running on Windows 7 Professional, Intel Xenon 3.3GHz CPU, 8.00GB of RAM, and a NVidia Quatro 600 video card, which, though not listed, runs great. Any ideas on how to fix this appreciated! Really was looking forward to building some new worlds, and it's frustrating to encounter a hitch. The CAW, for the record, was literally JUST downloaded and installed in the past few days, so it's the most current they offer. Game is all patched, except for that post-TS4 thing they did, which I won't touch. The game is a fresh install, with all the expansions and store content, and some custom things as well. If it matters, I am running totally on discs, no Origin AT ALL. It isn't even installed.

I tried clearing the DCBackup, except for the merged file, and also tried removing the entire Mods folder, and neither made any difference. I do have all the store content, but the DCCache folder doesn't have a lot in it. Store content is about the only change from when I used CAW on an older, slower computer. Didn't have it all then. I really want to be able to run it with the store stuff, too, since I have plans for a lot of it in the world I am trying to build. The CAW itself runs just fine, no hitches; it simply won't open the EIG. I don't get it; this system has more than enough resources and graphics capabilities, so it ought to run, even with all the content. I have actually checked the resources while this is happening, and there isn't an issue there.

Really hoping someone has a solution! I'll happily download a different copy of the CAW, if there is one that will work with all the games, in case they bugged the one they offer now. Otherwise, I'll be stuck with a world with no developed lots, which isn't nearly as nice to share.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 7:50 PM
I don't know the patch numbers and you write a lot about it. I just have to make sure. You did download caw for the 1.67 version right, because the last caw version is for the 1.69 version naturally. I just downloaded it myself a few days ago, so I know it's there.

Otherwise than that this forum has a lot of old threads that is still very useful. I'm going to install caw on my new comp when I finish it, and I'm expecting nothing but trouble myself, so good luck.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 2:03 AM
I downloaded the one on the official site, just a few days ago, so it would be the most current. In the "About", it states that it's version 0.2.0.197, for whatever that's worth. So, no idea which one it's for. Seems to be compatible, anyway, according to the numbers, but who knows? I swear, some days, I think they pay people to make problems for us players!!

Hopefully, you'll have better luck than I have. World looks great, except for that total lack of developed lots.....frustrating!! Of course, I can export it that way, and just build in-game, but it's a pain, and sharing it, I'd have to upload every single blasted lot.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 2:12 AM
Just a question. Are you trying to enter EIG mode with a world you've already done extensive work on? (As opposed to a new world that maybe has a few lots and roads.) The reason that I ask is problem you're having may not necessarily have to do with the fact that you reinstalled CAW, because this error tends to happen when something has gone wrong with the world itself.

One thing I would suggest to troubleshoot what's really causing the problem is to either open other world files you may have on file and run EIG, or create a blank new world and do the same. If EIG still crashes, you'll know for sure that there's something wrong with CAW.

However, if EIG loads fine, then the issue lies with the current world you're working on and not CAW itself. If that turns out to be the case, your only real option would be to 1) backtrack (delete the last few things you remember adding before EIG started crashing) and try loading it up in EIG again or 2) restore a backup version of your world, (located in the backup folders in the CAW folder).
dodgy builder
#5 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 1:15 PM
If I were you I would probably try my luck among the game techie people: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=551

Make sure to make your own thread, unless you find a solution among all the other threads there.

I used to follow the game techie people posting here, but they seems to have moved on unfortunately.
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 8:34 PM
EIGjust doesn't seem to work well in the 1.69-compatible CAW. I've only tried a couple of times and it's crashed. Currently I'm planning on making a world with empty lots since it's just for myself, and filling the lots when I import the world. What am I missing in this scenario?
dodgy builder
#7 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
EIGjust doesn't seem to work well in the 1.69-compatible CAW. I've only tried a couple of times and it's crashed. Currently I'm planning on making a world with empty lots since it's just for myself, and filling the lots when I import the world. What am I missing in this scenario?

Have you tried opening a game folder in Sims3 only for caw and not having anything in it? If that's not working I don't know, but I would probably say the graphics card?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims1depot
Just a question. Are you trying to enter EIG mode with a world you've already done extensive work on? (As opposed to a new world that maybe has a few lots and roads.) The reason that I ask is problem you're having may not necessarily have to do with the fact that you reinstalled CAW, because this error tends to happen when something has gone wrong with the world itself.

One thing I would suggest to troubleshoot what's really causing the problem is to either open other world files you may have on file and run EIG, or create a blank new world and do the same. If EIG still crashes, you'll know for sure that there's something wrong with CAW.

However, if EIG loads fine, then the issue lies with the current world you're working on and not CAW itself. If that turns out to be the case, your only real option would be to 1) backtrack (delete the last few things you remember adding before EIG started crashing) and try loading it up in EIG again or 2) restore a backup version of your world, (located in the backup folders in the CAW folder).

In this case, it's a fresh install of CAW, on a new system, and a fresh world as well, with some roads and lots, and some terrain changes. I also tried it, to be sure, on the two "light" worlds that come pre-loaded, and saw the same result, just to be sure it wasn't an odd issue with the one world I have started. Same crash, without me doing anything to the test worlds at all. So, definitely an EIG issue, and not just the one world. Good suggestion, in any case; just pone I already did.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer

I did wonder about that Any idea where I can get a version that's only to 1.67? I'll gladly install an older one, if I can find it.

If not, my plan would be the same as yours, though I had hoped to share the world.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 12:53 AM
Well, scratch that last - located a previous version 1_19_5 instead of 1_19_6), did the version work-a-round, and have the same exact result. EIG crashes. every single time.
Scholar
#11 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 1:03 AM
Here are some of the older CAW versions: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595 (Post # 18) or https://cawster.wordpress.com/categ...ces/installers/. Hope that will help! I rolled back to patch 1.67 myself because EA was taking so long to update CAW and I was close to finished working on a world in CAW. Did you use the manual patch to update Sims 3 after re-installing(http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...t/175477.page)? Thankfully, it worked for me. Good luck with your problem!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Here are some of the older CAW versions: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595 (Post # 18) or https://cawster.wordpress.com/categ...ces/installers/. Hope that will help! I rolled back to patch 1.67 myself because EA was taking so long to update CAW and I was close to finished working on a world in CAW. Did you use the manual patch to update Sims 3 after re-installing(http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...t/175477.page)? Thankfully, it worked for me. Good luck with your problem!

Appreciated, but this didn't help. I installed an older version (0_18_5 instead of 0_19_6), did the workaround to make it run, and same thing, EIG crashes. Installing the game, I patched using this - http://modthesims.info/d/409829 - to avoid the 1.69 Origin patch, which I do not want at all. The launcher for the game shows all up to date, and it's at 1.67, which is where it was when TS4 came out, and the CAW download page has a version supposedly for the 1.67. I even dou7ble checked to be sure I had the right one of those, and do; easy to tell since they are named differently.

Whatever this is, it's the same for the older versions as well, though, which makes me wonder if it actually is related to store content in some way.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes649
Whatever this is, it's the same for the older versions as well, though, which makes me wonder if it actually is related to store content in some way.

Hmmm...

I just noticed in your OP that you said you not only had store content, but custom content as well. Have you tried maybe uninstalling both types of content and running CAW to see if that helps any?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims1depot
Hmmm...

I just noticed in your OP that you said you not only had store content, but custom content as well. Have you tried maybe uninstalling both types of content and running CAW to see if that helps any?

I tried removing the Mods folder, which didn't help at all. Most of my custom content is in the way of sims3pack files, installed via the launcher, so removing it isn't as simple as removing the Mods folder and package files. Some places mention the DCCache folder, but that doesn't actually list individual items, the way the Downloads folder does, and there aren't many things in it, either. I did pull all the DCBackup files, except for the ccmerged.package file, and that didn't help, either.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes649
Appreciated, but this didn't help. I installed an older version (0_18_5 instead of 0_19_6), did the workaround to make it run, and same thing, EIG crashes. Installing the game, I patched using this - http://modthesims.info/d/409829 - to avoid the 1.69 Origin patch, which I do not want at all. The launcher for the game shows all up to date, and it's at 1.67, which is where it was when TS4 came out, and the CAW download page has a version supposedly for the 1.67. I even dou7ble checked to be sure I had the right one of those, and do; easy to tell since they are named differently.

Ah storecontent. Why don't you search for auntielynds post on this forum, she had a fix and she was really good at techie things.

One thing she talked about was images in the files.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 1:26 AM
EIG doesn't work for me either since the Origin/Caw update. I mean, it will sometimes...but can't do much. Sometimes it won't even save..so I just wait and build the lots once it's exported.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
EIG doesn't work for me either since the Origin/Caw update. I mean, it will sometimes...but can't do much. Sometimes it won't even save..so I just wait and build the lots once it's exported.

Yeah, seems that's about all we can do! Seriously annoying issue, but that's EA for you. I didn't even do the "update", and patched manually to avoid it, but same issue. Always something with the game, eh? Reminds me why I liked TS2 so much!
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 26th May 2016 at 3:57 AM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 26th May 2016 at 3:43 PM.
Where do you get the "Compatversion" number?

I've been having problems with EIG as well. My saves fail. My saves from EIG once worked, but not anymore.

Edit 5/26/16
I am not smart enough to find all these compat version numbers, and the instructions to clear the cashe (spl) are old and the directory structure has changed... so I didn't figure that out...

I just created a new Windows User named "Guest", and tried that. I found I have to start a game in SIMS 3 first, just diving into CAW without a Sims 3 directory in "Guest\Documents\Electronic Arts" was a fail. But once I started a throw away game, eureka! EIG worked.
Test Subject
#19 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:54 AM
I had the same problem. I solved this by moving the world to a directory other than the folder C: / User / Documents / The Sims 3. Apparently CaW adds some few characters in the name of the "The Sims" folder which causes the load to fail.