Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 5:36 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 3rd Sep 2016 at 10:15 PM.
Default Color Magic Updates | 0.8.4 Released - COLOR MAGIC NO LONGER WORKS AND HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED
--

2014-11-08: 0.8.4 released (Update for game version 1.2.16.10, "pools patch" 2014-11-04) -- pbox

2014-10-03: 0.8.2 released (Update for game version 1.0.732.20, "ghost patch" 2014-10-01) -- pbox

--

Edit, 24th Aug 2014:

I've just released a new version of Color Magic. You can download it here

This version adds two new features.

First, thanks to VelocityGrass, I have added the full list of Categories and Values to the flags editor.

Second, I now have Color Magic read the registry and detect if you have CAS Demo and/or The Sims 4 installed. The old method of browsing to the .package file is still supported as well but since the full game has 22 .package files vs the single one from the demo, I had to improve the process a bit.

I'm not 100% sure this detection will work for non en_US (English) installations of the game, so if you have problems with the game selection dropdown box, please let me know.

Instructions: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=co...14-instructions

--

Jul 27th 2014:

A tool to create recolors usable in the Sims 4 CAS Demo.

This tool will let you view a list (by NAME) of the CAS Parts in the demo, and preview the texture, allowing the user to select what they want to recolor. It will then create a package file with the CAS Part, texture, bump and specular maps; note that little is currently known about the bump and specular maps right now, but feel free to experiment.

It's intended for people familiar with S3PE and TS3 modding.

You'll need S4PE to open the package and extract the image files; get that at Simlogical http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=3140.0 . The latest version of that (as of this edit ) exports and imports .dds files. Re-import your edited textures and you're done.

Edit 8/13: The tool has been renamed "Color Magic", to reflect the fact that it's been redesigned in a more user-friendly "Wizard" type format. This post has been edited to reflect today's changes to the tool. Enjoy!
3 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 5:15 PM
Silly question. Do we need to have the demo in order to edit the files?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hlvspomtactfr
Silly question. Do we need to have the demo in order to edit the files?

You do need the CASDemoFullBuild.package file from the demo in order for the tool to have the original items to make recolors of. You can also do a recolor of a recolor by loading someone else's recolor into the tool.

--Grant

codename: granthes -- Developer of Sims3/4 utilities
Now working on modding tools for the Sims 4 CAS Demo
Forum Resident
#4 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 8:49 PM
When can we get downloadable recolors on the site?

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 12:39 AM
Well, since I don't have the CAS demo yet, I guess I'll have to ask. Can this do hair colors, too?

I kind of need a two-tone hair color for a very specific Sim I want to make. Could just use the closest the game has to orange instead, but getting the hair right would be awesome.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 12:41 AM
Downloadable recolor available here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5935

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 1:27 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 28th Jul 2014 at 6:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by McNum
Well, since I don't have the CAS demo yet, I guess I'll have to ask. Can this do hair colors, too?

I kind of need a two-tone hair color for a very specific Sim I want to make. Could just use the closest the game has to orange instead, but getting the hair right would be awesome.

Should be able to do hair colors, yes Haven't done one myself but I've seen one out there!

However, you may have to do it as a default replacement instead of adding a new color. The interface has 18 colors for each hair built in (same for eyebrows and facial hair); not sure what would happen if you tried to add an additional one. CASRecolor can do either default replacement or new color.

When you get the demo, try it and report back

Edit: did a quick attempt myself... adding additional hair colors does create additional swatches on a per-hair basis (so you can have different numbers of colors for different hairs, and you can do default replacements). Makes the interface look a tad untidy, but it is still functional. Which is good news
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 5:42 PM Last edited by Nandonalt : 28th Jul 2014 at 5:58 PM.
Somehow, new colors aren't working for me. They crash the game when I hover the mouse above the swatches.

But I could make default replacements :P

Dress:

Hair:

+ http://i.imgur.com/ClVT6Bx.png
Field Researcher
#9 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nandonalt
Hair:
+ http://i.imgur.com/ClVT6Bx.png

Wow, that hair texture looks great! Best-looking hair I've seen in TS4.
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 5:39 AM
Grant figured out how swatches work tonight... the lil squares you pick your recolor from, and the stripy bar over the thumb... so we should have custom swatches added this weekend
Scholar
#11 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Klinn2
Wow, that hair texture looks great! Best-looking hair I've seen in TS4.

I agree, that hair is really nice - you can see actual strands!!
See EA - hair is not all clumped together like you've dumped a tub of moulding clay (hur, hur) on your head... great job!
Wish I had the demo now so I can mess around with retexturing and recolouring...

...Titanium white...
Scholar
#12 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 8:45 PM
I took off all the flowers from the floral dresses and made a bunch of (non-default) recolors!

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  CrossBack_Deflowered.zip (791.7 KB, 197 downloads) - View custom content

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Inventor
#13 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:25 PM
Brilliant news about the non defaults! I am so longing to have a go but no demo still for me
Forum Resident
#14 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaylo
I took off all the flowers from the floral dresses and made a bunch of (non-default) recolors!

Awesome, downloaded them for when I have the demo/game !

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#15 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 11:58 PM
You guys are so quick! I can't believe how easy Sims 4 is to mod so far and that is a really good sign! Modding is what Sims games thrive on.
Scholar
#16 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 12:19 AM
Custom content for the Sims 4 is going to be like the Sims 2 where we recolor everything?

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 1:28 AM
Mind if I ask a question? Are you guys able to change the search tags for the recolors? So if we recolor something blue, it'll show up under the "blue" search tag?
Theorist
#18 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:17 AM
I have a question. Has anyone else run into the problem where you can only have a certain number of recolors? I went a little crazy on the t-shirts and I can only have 2 or 3 (non-default) recolors. Any new ones won't show up at all.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:33 AM
I can't get any of the clothing, 2 dresses and the eyeshadow eye lashes to show at all. The only default that show for me is the eyes.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Eminence Grise
#20 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:54 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 31st Jul 2014 at 4:25 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Christine11778
Custom content for the Sims 4 is going to be like the Sims 2 where we recolor everything?

Pretty much, yes Of course, it won't be LIMITED to recolors. But we'll need recolors. And lots of them

Quote: Originally posted by hlvspomtactfr
Mind if I ask a question? Are you guys able to change the search tags for the recolors? So if we recolor something blue, it'll show up under the "blue" search tag?

Excellent question. Grant (and probably others ) is working on the flags, but they aren't all sorted out yet. When they are, you'll be able to set that in the tool. However, for the time being, if you clone something blue as the base for your recolor, it should show up under the blue tag... so start with something similar in color to what you're making

There are presumably also flags relating to all the filters and buttons... age/gender, top/bottom/body/shoe etc, subcategories of those (skirt/shorts/pants), material, category (athletic/sleep/party etc), and style. They'll all be tracked down sooner or later

Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
I have a question. Has anyone else run into the problem where you can only have a certain number of recolors? I went a little crazy on the t-shirts and I can only have 2 or 3 (non-default) recolors. Any new ones won't show up at all.

Yours is the first report of this I've seen... how many t-shirt recolor swatches are there exactly on the shirt you're working on? There could be some upper bound on the number of swatches that can display, I guess. Let us know where you hit the limit and I'll try to see if I can reproduce it.

Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I can't get any of the clothing, 2 dresses and the eyeshadow eye lashes to show at all. The only default that show for me is the eyes.

Can you be more specific? Is this items you've made, or other people's? For each one, are these default or non-default recolors? Are you seeing nothing at all change when you add the mod, or are you seeing an additional swatch added but your item doesn't appear on the sim when you choose it? Or something else?

The problem could be as simple as forgetting to close S4PE before starting the game, which will prevent the package from loading (Yes I have done that, and more than once! )

BTW, you'll find more cool examples of what people have done in this thread on Grant's forums: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=re...es-and-failures

And more discussion of various issues here: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?forum=si...as-recolor-tool . Grant is more likely to see and respond directly over there.
Theorist
#21 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Yours is the first report of this I've seen... how many t-shirt recolor swatches are there exactly on the shirt you're working on? There could be some upper bound on the number of swatches that can display, I guess. Let us know where you hit the limit and I'll try to see if I can reproduce it.

I used three different recolors (white, brown and black) and if I had more than one black recolor, (the plain black not wolf shirt) it'd only display one swatch or the second black shirt wouldn't show up at all. So either there is like you said a limit on how many swatches each clothing option can display, or you can only have one recolor for each color or swatch.
Scholar
#22 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:56 AM
I had a similar issue with my dresses, I found that when making the package you have to make sure it has a unique name before creating it, otherwise it just won't show up. I know the recolor tool automatically adds a MY_ in front of the recolor name, but only goes up to 3 MYs before stopping and I had to input custom file names.

Another thing I did to get around that was making my recolor off of the last recolor I did, so instead of loading the CAS full build package I loaded my dress package.

Not sure if all of this is protocol, but it worked for me for this instance.

Sirius Black: Escaped Azkaban, Outran Dementors, Outwitted Ministry, Killed by Drapery
Where I've been hiding...
Mad Poster
#23 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Can you be more specific? Is this items you've made, or other people's? For each one, are these default or non-default recolors? Are you seeing nothing at all change when you add the mod, or are you seeing an additional swatch added but your item doesn't appear on the sim when you choose it? Or something else?

The problem could be as simple as forgetting to close S4PE before starting the game, which will prevent the package from loading (Yes I have done that, and more than once! )

BTW, you'll find more cool examples of what people have done in this thread on Grant's forums: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?topic=re...es-and-failures

And more discussion of various issues here: http://sims4.the-prof.net/?forum=si...as-recolor-tool . Grant is more likely to see and respond directly over there.

I can't create nothing, there would be more problems than what I have if I tried. They are CC created by others,

First and second dresses by Rusty Nail: http://blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?...t&categoryNo=99
Got this wrong, it was a recolor of the eyeshadow and I mixed it up thinking it was the eyelashes. The shadows show up fine, after looking at them again. http://www.mixei.ru/showthread.php/...%BE%D1%82-Sweat
David Sims formal dress, which I don't know which one of the original it replaces but I tried all of them and didn't see it. http://dvdsims.blogspot.com.br/2014...ms-4-dress.html

So that is 3 dresses I can't find or don't see in the game. Took them out and will be trying the other recolor I found. Thanks for the links, I will try it next.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Theorist
#24 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 7:16 AM Last edited by lovcat : 31st Jul 2014 at 8:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jaylo
I had a similar issue with my dresses, I found that when making the package you have to make sure it has a unique name before creating it, otherwise it just won't show up. I know the recolor tool automatically adds a MY_ in front of the recolor name, but only goes up to 3 MYs before stopping and I had to input custom file names.

Another thing I did to get around that was making my recolor off of the last recolor I did, so instead of loading the CAS full build package I loaded my dress package.

Not sure if all of this is protocol, but it worked for me for this instance.

That's probably what I'm doing wrong. I kept the "MY_" and yf or ym just to keep things in order. I'll be more creative and see if it helps Thanks! :D
Does the file name really matter or is it the actual recolor name, since that's set even if you save the package differently.

Edit. Ok, they're all technically showing up, but now I'm having the hover over crash. I'll just wait until the update this weekend. Thanks for helping me clear up the whole naming issue though! Super happy about that.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 7:20 AM
I can see myself with photoshop in a near future doing lots of recolors to add leather textures to some of the clothes.

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Page 1 of 4