Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 10:22 PM
Default How is the big picture looking?
So, there are people already playing The Sims 4

I was wondering what you guys are thinking of the game! Is it as bad as we thought it'd be?
Is it worth those 60 bucks? Would you recommend the game? Is there anything that compensates for what has been lost?

Sure you need more time to answer these questions properly, but we're all waiting for the veredict

Nevertheless, I hope you are enjoying the game, and having lots of fun with it!

Crocs with socks
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 10:38 PM
I have just a few tiny impressions after 20 mins in-game:
- Some of the walkstyles of sims are really immersion breakingly goofy.
- You can sense the lack of NPCs. Not sure if there's even a mailman.
- I clicked on a neighbors house right next to my sims house, clicked "visit" on popup menu and hit a loading screen. They said there were loading screens but it was a surprise because I'm still in TS3 mode and the house is right next door.
- Sense of claustrophobia in the starting hood because, you can only scroll so far before you hit the edge of the map and sims walk to the edge of the map and disappear.
- Feels very different from TS3 where most of the time if you see something in the distance your sim can go there.
- All the hood sims are really cheerful and bubbly so far. Haven't met a rude, sad, or angry sim yet which is odd.
- When a sim pees standing up there's an actual stream of urine spraying into the toilet. I'm thinking "why is this necessary?" lololol
That's all I got so far.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:01 PM
It's a very different experience from playing TS3. It's really more of an updated Sims 2 game. It's gonna take a lot of time getting used to, but overall it's worth around $40, considering the new engine and starting from scratch.

My experiences:
-Made my simself and my boyfriend, the demo sims don't convert over to the actual game as far as I've seen
-Immediately tried for a baby because there's no jingle anymore, so my sim took a pregnancy test at the toilet. She was confirmed pregnant an hour after woohooing and her belly grew instantly pretty big, which was kinda strange.
-Sims work throughout their pregnancy (no time off)
-Baby glitches
-More Baby glitches
-And then my game crashed as a result of having a kid, so I went on to make a sim who wanted to find her soulmate
-Took ages to figure out how to get a job since there's no newspaper (it's on the phone btw)
-Sims gain weird skills every other second it seems (Comedy, Charisma, Video Games, etc)
-The personalities are actually really interesting when it comes to freewill. They'll often yell at people and come off really strongly when they're angry, and it spreads like the plague.
-Threw a House Party while looking for the Singles Party, but there wasn't an option like it was supposed to be. Invited the mean angry lady thinking a party would cheer her up. That's when I discovered it spread easily, and kicked her out after she angered everyone at the party.
-If you kick over a trashcan and don't clean it up immediately, it becomes a "Trash Plant" and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Lots of new plants though, like Bluebells, Sage, Strawberries.

And then I decided to take a break
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vampiresam9097
-Made my simself and my boyfriend, the demo sims don't convert over to the actual game as far as I've seen

Can anyone else confirm/deny this?
Scholar
#5 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:10 PM
the demo sims don't convert over to the actual game as far as I've seen
Nooooo!

And that baby glitch is terrifying!

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Theorist
#6 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spirashun
Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

I'm not sure about her situation, but James from TheSimsSupply used a sim from his demo. I'm assuming she didn't navigate in the right places.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyJW

It just wouldn't be a sims game without our glitchy babies, right?
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:19 PM
Not having the game I can't say for sure, but even if you can't direct import from the demo could you not upload it tot he gallery and download it to your game?
Instructor
#9 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:21 PM
(Copy-pasting my response from another thread).

My first impressions from having played for about an hour:

- Loading screens are extremely fast on my PC (Intel Core i7 3.40 Ghz, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 280x). They don't last for longer than five seconds.
- Build mode is quite confusing so far, I'm far too used to the TS3 way of building to be any efficient with the new functionalities.
- My Sim has been happy throughout the entire day, but not entirely sure why.
- It feels like the in-game time is progressing slower. I haven't even played through one Sim day yet, and my Sim has been practicing writing, had lunch, dinner, been to the library, made two friends and is now asleep (9pm game time).
- No lag or glitches thus far.

Quote: Originally posted by Spiritbw
Not having the game I can't say for sure, but even if you can't direct import from the demo could you not upload it tot he gallery and download it to your game?

I am playing with a Sim I've created using the demo, they're stored in my Origin account. To access your cataloge, you need to be online, even if you want to pull down a saved sim you haven't shared to the gallery.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:22 PM Last edited by Meia_Power : 1st Sep 2014 at 11:52 PM.
I am really thankfull for Bandon's, vampiresam9097's and Mimoliin's insights

This game still makes me anxious...

Crocs with socks
Field Researcher
#11 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:30 PM
It's a very different experience from playing TS3. It's really more of an updated Sims 2 game. It's gonna take a lot of time getting used to, but overall it's worth around $40, considering the new engine and starting from scratch.

My experiences:
-Immediately tried for a baby because there's no jingle anymore, so my sim took a pregnancy test at the toilet. She was confirmed pregnant an hour after woohooing and her belly grew instantly pretty big, which was kinda strange.
-Sims work throughout their pregnancy (no time off)
-Baby glitches
-More Baby glitches
-And then my game crashed as a result of having a kid, so I went on to make a sim who wanted to find her soulmate
-Took ages to figure out how to get a job since there's no newspaper (it's on the phone btw)
-Sims gain weird skills every other second it seems (Comedy, Charisma, Video Games, etc)
-The personalities are actually really interesting when it comes to freewill. They'll often yell at people and come off really strongly when they're angry, and it spreads like the plague.
-Threw a House Party while looking for the Singles Party, but there wasn't an option like it was supposed to be. Invited the mean angry lady thinking a party would cheer her up. That's when I discovered it spread easily, and kicked her out after she angered everyone at the party.
-If you kick over a trashcan and don't clean it up immediately, it becomes a "Trash Plant" and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Lots of new plants though, like Bluebells, Sage, Strawberries.

And then I decided to take a break

Your post made me more excited for the game. I love playing with the game on high free will and I am glad you said "it spreads like the plague" because that means at least sims react to sims. It is very important to me for the sims to react. I would rather they overreact than under react. I like the "trash plant" thing. It is a quirky thing that you would expect from a Sims game.
Scholar
#12 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alan650
Your post made me more excited for the game. I love playing with the game on high free will and I am glad you said "it spreads like the plague" because that means at least sims react to sims. It is very important to me for the sims to react. I would rather they overreact than under react. I like the "trash plant" thing. It is a quirky thing that you would expect from a Sims game.
I'm sorry to say that you'll probably be dissapointed then. I'm watching a livestream where a woman walked in on her husband woohooing with another lady. She did not react at all. No emotional moodlet, in fact she was feeling Happy the entire time.
I've also seen streams where sims didn't react to other sims burning to death in the same room.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Field Researcher
#13 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bandon
I have just a few tiny impressions after 20 mins in-game:
- Some of the walkstyles of sims are really immersion breakingly goofy.
- You can sense the lack of NPCs. Not sure if there's even a mailman.
- I clicked on a neighbors house right next to my sims house, clicked "visit" on popup menu and hit a loading screen. They said there were loading screens but it was a surprise because I'm still in TS3 mode and the house is right next door.
- Sense of claustrophobia in the starting hood because, you can only scroll so far before you hit the edge of the map and sims walk to the edge of the map and disappear.
- Feels very different from TS3 where most of the time if you see something in the distance your sim can go there.
- All the hood sims are really cheerful and bubbly so far. Haven't met a rude, sad, or angry sim yet which is odd.
- When a sim pees standing up there's an actual stream of urine spraying into the toilet. I'm thinking "why is this necessary?" lololol
That's all I got so far.

That is funny that there is a stream of urine. Does it have the loud pee on water sound that Sims 2 had? I actually like the realism of it. I figured that it will take some time getting used to being able to freely travel the world.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mimoliin
- It feels like the in-game time is progressing slower. I haven't even played through one Sim day yet, and my Sim has been practicing writing, had lunch, dinner, been to the library, made two friends and is now asleep (9pm game time).
Sounds like a complete and satisfying day. If any of us accomplished as much, we would be exhausted by the end of the day. I will admit to being in the habit of driving my Sims at top speed. It might be nice to slow down.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:37 PM
I'm sorry to say that you'll probably be dissapointed then. I'm watching a livestream where a woman walked in on her husband woohooing with another lady. She did not react at all. No emotional moodlet, in fact she was feeling Happy the entire time.
I've also seen streams where sims didn't react to other sims burning to death in the same room.

That is ridiculous. How could such an oversight be made in the game. It is a life simulator and in real life people would be thrown into a rage if they saw their husband with someone else. I really hope they patch in these reactions but that is doubtful. This game is making me dizzy because I am one second "it looks great" and then hear stuff like that and am let down!
Theorist
#16 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:48 PM
To convert sims from the CAS Demo to the real game. Drag the contents of the "Tray" folder from the CAS directory to the "Tray" folder in The Sims 4 directory.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:49 PM

I saw the official livestream where they set that sim on fire and others were saying the sims weren't reacting, but the sims did react. They freaked out and ran out of the room, and then two other sims came back with extinguishers. So that seemed like a pretty apt reaction. Only thing is the child sim came back in the middle of the whole thing for a drink. So I dunno how these things are working right now or if it would be fair to say the system is broken or if some traits/actions are just overriding others.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:50 PM Last edited by 310175 : 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by alan650
That is ridiculous. How could such an oversight be made in the game. It is a life simulator and in real life people would be thrown into a rage if they saw their husband with someone else. I really hope they patch in these reactions but that is doubtful. This game is making me dizzy because I am one second "it looks great" and then hear stuff like that and am let down!

The wife spent the rest of the day conversing and flirting with the woman while he went to work. When he got back, she broke up with him.
However, they still share a bed.

ETA: Apparently, they didn't break up, only the relationship meter went down.

My impressions after more or less watching about 8 hours of Suji's stream:
Emotions are not much more than moodlets.
Broken toilets look like they are peeing.
The sims seem no smarter than before, there is just as much WTF behavior as before.
The environment inside and outside is butt ugly.
What stood out to me: Beds and houses seem more like community places/objects. Sims just walk into other sims' houses, sit down, talk, go to sleep, cook and eat. No one on that lot was bothered. It was especially creepy when done to a child and in a child's bedroom.

Something I'm not sure about, just an impression: It seemed a few times that the home lot sims that weren't played didn't advance while one of the family member left the home lot. They seemed stuck with what they were doing when she left the lot and when she came back.

Nope, not worth the money from where I'm sitting. It's too bad, I had a sliver of hope left.
Scholar
#19 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
I saw the official livestream where they set that sim on fire and others were saying the sims weren't reacting, but the sims did react. They freaked out and ran out of the room, and then two other sims came back with extinguishers. So that seemed like a pretty apt reaction. Only thing is the child sim came back in the middle of the whole thing for a drink. So I dunno how these things are working right now or if it would be fair to say the system is broken or if some traits/actions are just overriding others.
Yes, and I want to make it clear that I'm basing my previous comment on the streams, as I haven't played the game myself (Regional releases suck). But the example with the infidelity was pretty shocking, since she literally stood right beside them while they were at it, with no reaction whatsoever.

Forum Resident
#20 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:03 AM
Yes, and I want to make it clear that I'm basing my previous comment on the streams, as I haven't played the game myself (Regional releases suck). But the example with the infidelity was pretty shocking, since she literally stood right beside them while they were at it, with no reaction whatsoever.

Well this would not be the first time that a major feature was broken out of the gate. Like Story Progression, so it would not surprise me if there are a lot of moments like that too.
Test Subject
#21 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:12 AM
I think the only positive is that this isn't sim city.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:20 AM
Nooooo!

aren't they in the gallery?
Scholar
#23 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:24 AM
I've a question for you early people.
I was fucking around with the premades in the demo, and noticed this:

Those legs are.. very defined.. for that level of buffness. I tried to drag the meter all the way down, and it didn't change anything.
Honestly it seems like a glitch to me, and I would really like to know if it has carried over to the live game.

So if any of you guys could check it out.. that would be really swell.

ED: I got an answer over in the chat. It has carried over. Boo :/

Forum Resident
#24 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:25 AM
-More Baby glitches
Holy shiASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Scholar
#25 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElementMK
Holy shiASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
Slenderman junior?

Page 1 of 3