Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Buy Set - DIY

by armiel Posted 9th Feb 2012 at 1:41 PM - Updated 10th Feb 2012 at 12:30 PM by armiel

347 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 156 Feedback Posts, 190 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 14
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:28 PM Last edited by armiel : 9th Feb 2012 at 5:53 PM.
If you have questions, please see the FAQ on post #8 first! Thank you

Counter pieces, Island, Cabinets and Cupboards

Here are the base items of the set.

The counter is made of two pieces, due to some weirdness in the counters that you can't add new slots to them, below the surface. So I made the top and bottom separately, and moved one top slot on it's bottom, to host the counter base. Then I made an island to go with the counter.

The counters and island are also sims3packs, due to texture glitches you get if you make a counter a package-file in TSRW. So make sure you install them correctly.

The Cabinets come in 3 sizes, and can be shifted up and down, making the set really versatile. The items are sized to match the heights the objects raise when shifter without holding Alt-key.

Then there are two cupboards. They are full wall height. One is same depth as the counter, and other one is same depth as the cabinets.

All the base objects have slots in them for the other objects in the set. There are slots for objects such as the shelves and dividers in the middle of the objects bottoms, and then there are slots for the doors and drawers in the bottom front corners. The cabinets also have a row of slots on top of them, so you can place stuff there too. The base objects are also made so that they join each other seamlessly.

Below are some pics, that show the presets and tiling, and also the slots.

Note: You do need to place the base object under the top. If you don't, sim will automatically use the slot moved to the bottom as their first choice on placing food and other stuff on counter - and you don't want the food to go on floor, do you. (this happened with any slot I tested the moving to the bottom with, so it's unavoidable)

Note II: There may be cases where the sim won't use the counter top on prepping food. These are for example when some big decorative objects are placed very close to the food prepping slot (either under of above it). Most combinations I have tried the sims can prep food though, so running in to such issue - the possibility exists, but it should be rare. If you do run into this issue, please take a picture of the setup and post it in this thread.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:32 PM Last edited by armiel : 9th Feb 2012 at 4:37 AM.
Shelving

The shelving comes in three size based purposes. There are shelves that go inside the base items when they have doors or drawers, then there are shelves that are made to divide the base items horizontally, and finally, there are shelves that are the same width and depth as the base items.

Not to limit it to just that, I also made half sized shelving, and corner pieces. All shelves have the identifier in their name, that tells where they go or what they do. For example, a shelf called "DIY Shelf Counter Divider" tells you that the shelf is counter depth, meant to go inside it, and lines up with the counter (or cupboard full) front when placed to correct slot.

All the shelves can be shifted up and down. The "inside" shelving is made so that it snaps on a slot in the base item. The shelves also have slots based on their purpose.

The inside shelving only has slots in their middle parts. A full width one has one in the left, 1-2 on the middle, and one on the right.
The divider shelving has those above, and then also ones in their front corners for doors and drawers.
The base sized shelving have slots in the middle like the ones above, and also on their sides, so that if you place mane on row you can also place stuff where the two objects meet.

Below are pictures that show the items presets, tiling, and slot locations.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:32 PM Last edited by armiel : 9th Feb 2012 at 8:13 AM.
Plain doors and drawers

These are the very basic doors and drawers. They come in various sizes, so you'll have tons of options on how to compile your counters etc.

Their foot print is on the left corner, so they'll snap to the base object corner slots and sit nicely. To place a right hand door, you'll need to rotate the door 180 degrees and then place it on the base object right corner slot.

They also have multiple slots for the handles. The small sizes have slots for both horizontal and vertical handless, in many spots - the biggest sizes only have one slot for the vertical handles.
Screenshots
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:33 PM Last edited by armiel : 9th Feb 2012 at 8:15 AM.
Frame doors, planes and glasses

These are the frame doors and drawers, and the planes and glasses for them. They come in various sizes, so you'll have tons of options on how to compile your counters etc.

Their foot print is on the left corner, so they'll snap to the base object corner slots and sit nicely. To place a right hand door, you'll need to rotate the door 180 degrees and then place it on the base object right corner slot.

They also have multiple slots for the handles. The small sizes have slots for both horizontal and vertical handless, in many spots - the biggest sizes only have one slot for the vertical handles. Then there are slots on the bottom for the planes and glasses.

The planes and glasses then, their foot print is in the bottom middle, and on the double wides the footprint in on the middle of the left side bottom. They will snap nicely to the frames, and you will not need to rotate them - they fit the frames no matter which way they are placed.
Screenshots
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:33 PM Last edited by armiel : 9th Feb 2012 at 8:18 AM.
Dividers

These are the vertical dividers for the counter, cupboards and cabinets. They come in two depth, and multiple sizes. The name of the object tells you which size door/drawer they match in size.

Their footprint is in the bottom middle, so they'll snap nicely the base object middle slots. They don't have slots, and cannot be shifted.
Screenshots
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:33 PM Last edited by armiel : 9th Feb 2012 at 8:30 AM.
Handles

Last pieces! The handles.

There are two types of handles - curvy more basic ones, and then ones that look more modern.

Both styles have 3 versions. A horizontal one for drawers, and then vertical left and right hand versions for the doors. They snap to slots on the doors/drawers. If the door/drawer has more than one slot, you can either hover the handle to the correct one you wanna use, or press M until the handle goes to the desired slot.
Screenshots
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:28 PM Last edited by armiel : 10th Feb 2012 at 9:37 AM.
Default Buy Set - DIY
Frequently asked questions

Here are the questions asked in the thread, please see if your question has already been answered
Rubric Wrangler
THANKS POST
#9 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 1:50 PM
Awesomesauce set! Totally amazing, I cannot wait to use it all in my kitchens. :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 2:11 PM
Great! Love what you did with the pieces in the pictures.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#11 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 2:22 PM
Your set is quite versatile and what I like most is that it looks very different depending on the choice of finish. I love it and thank you for sharing!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 2:49 PM
Wow. This is almost too creative. I don't know if I can handle it! XD XD Thank you so much for this... I can't wait to start playing with it and seeing just what it can do!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 2:50 PM
Absolutely brilliant. Takes decorating to a whole new level. So looking forward to redecorating all of my sims' houses. :-D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#14 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 2:56 PM
Armiiiiii. ILU and all your DIY's forever!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:11 PM
Woah. Just... woah.
May I say that you are bloody amazing? :D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#16 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:26 PM
YAY! So glad to see it up at last, cool!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:37 PM
Oh lala - that's just and plain great. Thanks a lot.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#18 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:43 PM
This is incredible! Thank you so much for sharing this gorgeous set. Finally I'll have enough space in my sims kitchens for all their clutter!
Veteran Finn
retired moderator THANKS POST
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:45 PM
Thanks you all, I'm glad you like it
Theorist
THANKS POST
#20 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:54 PM
I love this!! thank you so much for making this, such a wonderful idea :-)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:58 PM
:O. Just :O. Thank you.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#22 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:58 PM
The sky is not even a limit to you, how can you come up with such a brilliant idea and manage that many objects with its various combination options?
Thank you very much for sharing.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 4:03 PM
Oh my. Oh my oh my oh my. This buy set, like your build set, is a must-have. Thank you so much.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#24 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 4:16 PM
I always love your stuff Armiel, you do fantastic work!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#25 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 4:18 PM
This is a must have set that I feel will see great use in every part my homes from now on. The flexibility, versatility, and pure genius of this set is something that can only come from the mind of a spectacularly talented individual. Thank you!
Page 1 of 14