Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 4:27 AM
Ok, no go. Cloned again this time No renumber and default only unticked. The OBJD does not retain the materials collections within the grid. The same thing happens when i clone other "tomb build" objects. I think maybe these objects are not fully supported with S3oc.

And as i understand it we do not know how to add materials collections at this time.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 5:09 AM
Yeah, it's pretty tedious and I'm still trying with the SmokeAlarm (non-recolorable to 2-channels).
I got lost in drilling down to the grid levels and hexcodes, and stopped for a while. :p
I'm thinking cmo's new tut on the Blender nodes thing might help, if only Blender does not crash my sick and old lappy, when I do a render...<*sigh*>

I guess I need to verify if the steps in this tut work error-free on debug objects, but in any case, making things recolorable is out of the scope of this beginner tutorial.
Not trying to pass the buck, but that particular task was not in the tutorial's objectives.

I'm sourcing other ways to create a modular tutorial, so I can easily add more stuff as I learn them without having to mess with .pdfs and .rars and reuploading stuff.
Well, it's on the back-burner of the ever-growing, non-shrinking ToDoList.

Good luck on your projects, ashillion! If you figure out the materials thing, let me know, eh?
Test Subject
#53 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 8:12 AM
I'm having a problem opening my files with MilkShape. I can't import Wes' plugin in MilkShape because it says I am not registered. Does this mean I can't even use the trial version for my meshing? ;_:

( Also, thanks for an awesome tutorial! <3 )
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 11:21 AM
Just glad it is helping people...

Afraid I got no control over Milkshape registration.
If the trial period ended ahead of time, you can email the developer.
Else you need to shell out the $ to purchase it (well worth the investment I tell ya); or adapt the lessons here for Blender (which is free), but the learning curve is a bit steeper.

My plans for a Blender version has to be put on hold as I save up to get a new rig...
Test Subject
#55 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
Just glad it is helping people...

Afraid I got no control over Milkshape registration.
If the trial period ended ahead of time, you can email the developer.
Else you need to shell out the $ to purchase it (well worth the investment I tell ya); or adapt the lessons here for Blender (which is free), but the learning curve is a bit steeper.

My plans for a Blender version has to be put on hold as I save up to get a new rig...

Thing is, I downloaded it yesterday and I can use it with the samples that came with it, but I can't import any tools. :s

Blender can't be too hard to learn...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#56 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 5:45 AM
Strawb you've mentioned now twice about importing tools or importing Wes' plugin, those plugins are not imported they need to be placed in the C:\Program Files\Milkshape folder. You import the files that are decompiled with the obj tool. Did you place the dll files for Milkshape in the folder? And are you trying to import the files decomiled with the obj tool?
Test Subject
#57 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Strawb you've mentioned now twice about importing tools or importing Wes' plugin, those plugins are not imported they need to be placed in the C:\Program Files\Milkshape folder. You import the files that are decompiled with the obj tool. Did you place the dll files for Milkshape in the folder? And are you trying to import the files decomiled with the obj tool?

I've got msS3Objexp.dll and msS3Objimp.dll in the Milkshape folder. In Section H - Meshing in Milkshape, it says "Import into Milkshape" with a pic of the path File--> Import--> Sims3 Object Import by Wes.

I can see the plug in, but when I click in it, it says I am not registered.
Alchemist
#58 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 1:42 AM
What you should be doing: 1. cloning object using s3oc. 2. exporting mlods and modl using s3pe. 3. decompiling mlods and modl using s3ObjTool. 4. opening Mikshape, clicking File button in top left hand corner, scrolling down to pick Sims3 Object Import, navigating to folder where decompiled mlod or modl is, selecting and clicking open.

If this is the sequence of steps you are using, and you have the plugins put in the correct folder, but you are getting a not registered message, then this is an issue you have with Milkshape registration and not with the tools or the plugins.

If you have tried a Milkshape trial in the past, even if it was a different version of Milkshape, and you used it for the trial period but didn't buy it you will get this message.

If you are getting this message and you think it is in error you need to go to the Milkshape website and post about it there. No one here can help you with that.

Registration issues with Milkshape have nothing to do with the tools here or with the tutorial here. To get Milkshape to work you're gonna have to pay or take up your registration issue at the Milkshape site.
Test Subject
#59 Old 29th Apr 2010 at 11:40 PM
I'm apparently hopeless at this... I can't even get past page 12 of the first part of the tutorial
Alchemist
#60 Old 29th Apr 2010 at 11:49 PM
Nah...this is hard to learn but not hopeless What step is it that's giving you trouble and what is happening at that point?
Test Subject
#61 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 3:11 AM
I lied... it's not page 12 - it's page 13 lol. Section G is totally 100% Greek to me. I think I'd probably be able to understand what to do if I could only understand how to start. Was I supposed to read DeluxeDesign's tutorial, or would it help if I did?
Alchemist
#62 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 3:17 AM
Lol...now you're wanting me to pull that tutorial outta my files and look at it.

What step are you on (meshing wise and not tutorial wise) and what exactly is happening when you get to that step that is causing the trouble?

What clone are you working with?

Off to re-read the tutorial to see where you are.

IMO, you're better off asking questions about this tutorial rather than going back to an outdated tutorial.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#63 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 1:14 PM
DD tutorial is not necessary, it's less tutorial and more just a list of things to do. It leaves out a bunch of steps that you do need to address.

So the UV Mapping is what is greek? Or just the explanation of what each texture resource is for? Would it help if it used something other than Lithunwrap or Gimp?

UVmapper Classic - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=79954 Basics on using it.

A basic one in Milkshape - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=323671

One for Wings - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=222522
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 1st May 2010 at 6:47 AM
Section G is on Gimp.
In which area are you encountering issues and need an interpreter? ( Though I dunno Greek either)
- On downloading, installing Gimp?
- On loading a .dds image?
- On general Gimp usage? Everything I learnt about Gimp, I read here http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/ and the other tutorials I linked to in the Section N:References.

If you have used other applications, you're welcome to stick to those - like PaintShopPro, Photoshop, Paint.Net, etc...
Test Subject
#65 Old 1st May 2010 at 2:06 PM
This may sound really stupid, but what do I open in Gimp? Lol I asked my husband to help (he's a major know-it-all) but he's being lazy In Gimp (Gimp 2?) When I go into my projects folder that I made in the beginning, there is nothing that I can open with Gimp.
Alchemist
#66 Old 1st May 2010 at 2:33 PM
You should have dds files that you exported using S3PE near the beginning of the tutorial. If you have those dds files in the folder and don't see them when you go to that folder with Gimp then maybe something is wrong with your settings.

If you don't have dds files in that folder just open s3pe, open your new object package, right click on the MODL, from the drop-down select export, then select "to file", then navigate to your folder and save the MODL there. Do the same thing for each of the MLODs in the list. Then try opening them with Gimp.

Is there some other editor program like Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or Paint.NET that you like to use? If so, try using one of those instead...using Gimp isn't a requirement.
Test Subject
#67 Old 1st May 2010 at 4:42 PM
I exported every single MODL and MLOD file in s3pe, but when I open Gimp and try to find dds files, there are none.

I actually prefer Gimp, I was using it for Sims 2 so I'm pretty used to it.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 1st May 2010 at 5:44 PM
Have you downloaded and installed the DDS plugins for GIMP?
Test Subject
#69 Old 1st May 2010 at 7:03 PM
Okay with some help from the hubby, I got it - in the tutorial it says "IMD", but it was actually "IMG". I don't know if it's that way for everyone, but I tend to follow directions to a T when it comes to stuff like this lol. Thank you so much for your help everyone! I'm sure I'll be back :P
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 1st May 2010 at 7:36 PM
oh dear! what line on what page?
I've to verify I don't copy the error into the wiki version... because most of it is a copy+pasta'd job.
Test Subject
#71 Old 1st May 2010 at 8:06 PM
It's page 11, Section E.2, step 3. It's really close to the bottom of the page.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 1st May 2010 at 8:52 PM
Test Subject
#73 Old 1st May 2010 at 9:11 PM
lol np. it's the least i could do for everyone trying to help me :D
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:01 PM
Hi!

I can't move the cylinder as shown on pages 31~32 and I guess I selected it correctly.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 7:27 AM
Using the "Move Options"?
What have you tried?
Page 3 of 5