Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#51 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chelleypie
A competent pediatrician will hospitalize a child with measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis and some other diseases (including varicella) due to risk of spreading it to other children in the home or other children in a child care setting. A good competent pediatrician will also hospitalize a child with fever over 103 of unknown origin, and dehydration due to fevers. Or perhaps I'm spoiled by a really good pediatrician who does all those things.

A competent pediatrician would also know that if the kid also came in contact with other kids in a child care setting, those kids will also develop the disease, hence it's no use putting them in a hospital and there's also the risk of them getting some hospital disease or spreading it to people who have not had it it like newborns. Fever can be dealt with at home, if not overly high, and for dehydration there's plenty of liquids.

Also, for further reading...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formalin
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 1:21 AM
I suffered a severe allergic reaction to the MMR vaccine, but that was 18 years ago.

I'm still not against vaccinations, but I don't treat them as a panacea either. There are risks involved, and I hope that medical science endeavours to minimize them.

I just think that however nasty the vaccines are, the diseases are probably going to be much worse.
Instructor
#53 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 1:57 AM
I could not deal with the dehydration due to my daughter's high fever at 4 months when she would not take anything by mouth. THe last hospital stay, 6 months ago, she would take food and drink, but it would all come back up a few hours later in the form of vomit, thus worsening the dehydration. Some dehydration cannot be dealt with at home. And most pediatricians ARE aware of a daycare situation. When Ab was in the hospital last time, Dr. Kelly called her daycare to ask about other kids being sick recently. Not only did he know of the situation, he checked into himself. Again, I'm probably really spoiled with a really good pediatrician.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
#54 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:22 AM
Some would consider it immoral and actually refuse to get, or let their kids get vaccinations because they are actually made of the disease for which shot you get, so for the HPV shot, the shots actually come from different parts of the HPV virus, but its so your bodies develops an immune to it.
Test Subject
#55 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 4:25 AM
The reason we have them is cause the diseases they protect against can be fatal .Believe it or not every year people do die from the flu and the measles can kill too and let's not forget polio and tuberculosis let's not forget that one as well.So should we live in a world of no vaccinations and see how many of us survive? No thanks. I wonder what would happen if there was a vaccination against AIDS/HIV?
Scholar
#56 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Modestgurl88
I wonder what would happen if there was a vaccination against AIDS/HIV?

That's an interesting idea, but it's hard to build a vaccine for something that actually attacks your immune system. Might still be possible though...I'm not a virologist or immunologist so I wouldn't know. It's not impossible, just hard.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#57 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Doddibot
That's an interesting idea, but it's hard to build a vaccine for something that actually attacks your immune system. Might still be possible though...I'm not a virologist or immunologist so I wouldn't know. It's not impossible, just hard.

Building a vaccine for AIDS is like building a vaccine for Diptheria - hard. Because people's bodies don't actually develop immunity to the virus.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 1:27 PM
My mother developed a load of allergies because of a bad tetanus jab. Plus my mother and aunt have had jabs against German measles and chicken pox and my mother's had German measles 3 or 4 times, my aunt about the same plus she's always getting chicken pox and my grandfather recently had shingles; which is often how chicken pox manifest themselves in adults.

Edit: Whenever we went to the doctor for immunisations (what few that we had), my mother would always ask him to sign a piece of paper saying that the vaccinations were totally safe and that is any really bad side effects occurred, he would take full responsibility and would provide financial support. He wouldn't sign. What does that say for vaccination? If that doctor had really believed in the vaccines, he would have signed the piece of paper.

I myself have had hardly any vaccinations because of all these problems. I've had the first jab against MMR but never got the booster and a few more which I can't remember what they were and I've never had anything worse than flu when I was about 8, which my whole family got, including my father who has no objection to vaccinations.

So no, I don't support them in the slightest. If other people get them then that's ok by me, but when my family has so many problems with them I don't see why I should risk them destroying my life. Although, judging from what people here have been saying,the diseases themselves could destroy my life anyway. I guess it's a gamble from me either way. :shrug:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#59 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lunarsea
My mother developed a load of allergies because of a bad tetanus jab. Plus my mother and aunt have had jabs against German measles and chicken pox and my mother's had German measles 3 or 4 times, my aunt about the same plus she's always getting chicken pox and my grandfather recently had shingles; which is often how chicken pox manifest themselves in adults.

I myself have had hardly any vaccinations because of all these problems. I've had the first jab against MMR but never got the booster and a few more which I can't remember what they were and I've never had anything worse than flu when I was about 8, which my whole family got, including my father who has no objection to vaccinations.

So no, I don't support them in the slightest. If other people get them then that's ok by me, but when my family has so many problems with them I don't see why I should risk them destroying my life. Although, judging from what people here have been saying,the diseases themselves could destroy my life anyway. I guess it's a gamble from me either way. :shrug:

I don't thing you an get Rubella twice but it can be easy to mistake it for something else. I have had Varicella twice and I have heard of people having it three times!
Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:03 PM
Lunarsea, when did your mom and your aunt get vaccinated? If it was a long time ago, it's a safe bet that the formulas/procedures have been much improved since.

Field Researcher
#61 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:18 PM
sabrown100: I used to think that you could only get Varicella once but you hear of people that get it loads of times. Rubella could be the same.

Daisie: To be honest I never asked when their vaccinations were done. :shrug: Whenever they were done though, I seriously doubt that it will change my stance on vaccinations. I've been brought up a cynic to the medical profession. :D
#62 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:21 PM
Lunersea ~ I don't blame your doctor for not signing anything! He would have been sued by many people, but not because there was something wrong with the vaccine but nowadays people are greedy. It would be like asking surgeons to and doctors signing a form saying you will never die from illness, they cannot take responibility.

Mistakes happen, human nature. Some people get unlucky, thats it its just bad luck.
Field Researcher
#63 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:30 PM
Yeah, I know Swift. He would have been a fool to sign it. But I was a kid when mum did that. I still can't help but be cynical towards medicine though.

Until this January I hadn't been to the doctor since I was about 8 or 9, if not earlier. Not even for a check up. When I went in January that was just to register at that practice.
Instructor
#64 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:33 PM
There's an HIV/AIDS vaccine in the works, but it's going to be a while before it's available to the public.

And Lunarsea, the fact that a doctor wouldn't sign a paper saying that the vaccines were 'totally safe' doesn't mean anything. No one can guarantee anything in medical science. Even a simple appendectomy can go wrong - but are you going to forgo surgery that will save your life because it has a slim chance of killing you? Whereas the bursting appendix is generally fatal? My pediatrician won't even promise that the breathing treatments and blood work that Abbi gets are 'totally safe' because he can't. It's not possible to promise something like that. Medicine, especially pediatrics, is almost more art than science at times, and nothing is guaranteed. I can see why he wouldn't sign it. It's not that he didn't believe in the vaccines, but that he didn't believe in making promises he couldn't keep.

And now, at least in Louisiana, you have to provide a current immunization record before your kids can enter school. So were you homeschooled, or have the laws changed since then? The reason they want kids immunized is so that there isn't an epidemic of measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, or other preventable diseases. One kid gets measles, all of them have to be quarantined for fear of spreading it. I personally do not want to stay home with a perfectly healthy child for two weeks to see if she gets measles because one parent didn't want to get their child vaccinated.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Field Researcher
#65 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:42 PM
Like I said to Swift, I understand that doctors wouldn't sign something like that. I live in the UK and yes, I was home educated. I'm a college student now though. Also, there has been an out break of measles in the UK because confusion over MMR. It's been all over the news here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#66 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lunarsea
Like I said to Swift, I understand that doctors wouldn't sign something like that. I live in the UK and yes, I was home educated. I'm a college student now though. Also, there has been an out break of measles in the UK because confusion over MMR. It's been all over the news here.

I live in the UK too - I didn't know we had compulsary vaccine laws.
Instructor
#67 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 2:53 PM
I don't know if you do. But I know at least in Louisiana we do. I had to provide her daycare provider with a copy of her current shot record, and in a few years when she enters public kindergarten she'll have to have all her shots again and I'll have to prove it. Fortunately, she'll be turning 3 in December, so that's at least 3 years away. (Because she was born in December, she'll have to wait until she's about 6 to enter kindergarten - they have to be 5 before September in our district, and she won't make the deadline.)

And sorry, Lunar, I was posting just as Swift was, I think.

#68 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 3:15 PM
I'm going to the doctors next week to have the jabs I need for Medical school - a whole cocktail including TB, hepatitis C and meningitis. It sorta sucks that I have to have them because I'm scared something will happen again, but if I don't have them then I can't become a doctor - sort of paradoxial really. I'll let you all know if I drop down dead :p

I don't think I'll get my kids immunized until they're at least 5 years old. I think overloading the immune system with so many different viruses to fight off at such a young age just isn't a good thing. I've already done my A-level biology Immunity module, so I do kinda know what I'm talking about... ish. Whats more, I've been researching loads recently into Lupus, PBC and other autoimmune problems (my mother suffers from them). I found out that although the cause is unknown, they're often triggered by an overload of the immune system, sometimes from fighting off a particularly nasty bout of childhood virus. While that may be a reason to immunise children, surely 5 different species of weak bacteria all parading round the bloodstream at once classifies as quite a hefty task for your antibodies to cope with (weak as the virus may be). I'm very much skeptical.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#69 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Haylifer
I'm going to the doctors next week to have the jabs I need for Medical school - a whole cocktail including TB, hepatitis C and meningitis. It sorta sucks that I have to have them because I'm scared something will happen again, but if I don't have them then I can't become a doctor - sort of paradoxial really. I'll let you all know if I drop down dead :p

I don't think I'll get my kids immunized until they're at least 5 years old. I think overloading the immune system with so many different viruses to fight off at such a young age just isn't a good thing. I've already done my A-level biology Immunity module, so I do kinda know what I'm talking about... ish. Whats more, I've been researching loads recently into Lupus, PBC and other autoimmune problems (my mother suffers from them). I found out that although the cause is unknown, they're often triggered by an overload of the immune system, sometimes from fighting off a particularly nasty bout of childhood virus. While that may be a reason to immunise children, surely 5 different species of weak bacteria all parading round the bloodstream at once classifies as quite a hefty task for your antibodies to cope with (weak as the virus may be). I'm very much skeptical.

My advice is single vaccines.
#70 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sabrown100
My advice is single vaccines.

Yeah - Tony Blair gave his kids individual vaccines and refused to comment on why. I guess he wasn't 100% convinced with the MMR and the 5-in-1 one (I think its Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio, Hepatitis and something else..?)

Quote: Originally posted by ThePolygotNerd
I am the one with the brain damage and grew up with borderline Asperger's Syndrome, alledged petit mal, elipeptic fits and absences - a good friend of mine who finished med school and also had these symptoms growing up was involved in a research project that found that these were often caused by painless migraines!

I actually suffer from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, which caused my absences and petit mal. This results from damage to the temporal lobe in some way and I didn't show signs of this until I was 6 or 7, again when I had the third booster.

Quote: Originally posted by chelleypie
People blame the vaccine because regression starts to occur around the time the first shot is given. It's convenient.

Symptoms for Autism begin to show around the age of 2 and 3, usually presenting in delayed language development and lack of social development. This becomes more pronounced as the child gets older.

In my case, I was a perfectly normal but bright child - in fact, an early learner - up until the age of 7. I said my first word at 4 months and could read whole books before I started school. I was also a bit of a chatterbox too, but I definitely had empathy and a social understanding. Then after I had the third booster I stopped working I suffered from Aspergers Syndrome up until I was about 13, and after that the symptoms have been getting less and less. I'm pretty much normal now, although I'm still a bit stereotypical 'geek'.

Another point, I read somewhere (on a leaflet in my doctors surgery about 3 years ago) that the MMR should be avoided if allergic to egg. I've been looking everywhere for more links between the MMR and egg allergies but can't find any. In any case, nobody checked to see whether I was allergic to egg before I was given the vaccine. I could well have been, and I certainly am now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#71 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 7:00 PM
Yeah - Tony Blair gave his kids individual vaccines and refused to comment on why. I guess he wasn't 100% convinced with the MMR and the 5-in-1 one (I think its Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio, Hepatitis and something else..?)

Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio, Hib, Pertussis.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#72 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 12:46 AM

I actually suffer from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, which caused my absences and petit mal. This results from damage to the temporal lobe in some way and I didn't show signs of this until I was 6 or 7, again when I had the third booster.

Symptoms for Autism begin to show around the age of 2 and 3, usually presenting in delayed language development and lack of social development. This becomes more pronounced as the child gets older.

In my case, I was a perfectly normal but bright child - in fact, an early learner - up until the age of 7. I said my first word at 4 months and could read whole books before I started school. I was also a bit of a chatterbox too, but I definitely had empathy and a social understanding. Then after I had the third booster I stopped working I suffered from Aspergers Syndrome up until I was about 13, and after that the symptoms have been getting less and less. I'm pretty much normal now, although I'm still a bit stereotypical 'geek'.

Another point, I read somewhere (on a leaflet in my doctors surgery about 3 years ago) that the MMR should be avoided if allergic to egg. I've been looking everywhere for more links between the MMR and egg allergies but can't find any. In any case, nobody checked to see whether I was allergic to egg before I was given the vaccine. I could well have been, and I certainly am now.

There are lots of things that you could have been allergic to that are in the vaccine - like gelatine.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 10:05 AM
I have heard a lot of cases of people catching the disease the vaccine was trying to prevent. I think Vaccinizing may be a good idea in situations where people are at high risk at catching the disease. But if you are unlikely to get the disease anyway, the Vaccine may be doing more harm than good.
Field Researcher
#74 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 1:19 PM
I had all my jabs as a kid, and a meningokokken (trans?) jab at age 13. I've never liked them, but I'm kind of oversensitive to pain. All I got from them was a bit of neausia and a stiff arm. These complaints would never see the end of the same day I got the jab.

I'm a little sceptic towards the 'vaccin - Autism theory', but I have autism (PDD-NOS). From what I heard, my symptoms became clear at a very young age, so it's unlikely that the jabs have anything to do with it.
Instructor
#75 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 4:32 AM
I don't see why anyone would be against vaccinations. They're good and build up your immune system to protect you against many illnesses. I think my child's vaccinations are very, very important.

Page 3 of 4