Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 2:14 AM
Default I wonder on what basis they chose to add the real life celebs to superstar?
So the superstar career includes modelling, acting, and singing but they chose Marilyn Monroe, Andy Warhol, Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguilera as real life celebrities. Andy Warhol really doesn't fit in the group.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Feb 2018 at 2:53 AM
My likely guess? Advertising PR. Kind of like the McDonalds Kiosk they did.

EA likely wanted get virtual versions of real entities in the game to get further name/brand recognition to The Sims and also for a undetermined amount of profit from working in collaboration with the companies and beneficiaries that hold the content rights belonging to these people. From the looks of the choices it seems like Maxis/EA were met half-way on it. Maxis got to choose two and EA got to choose two.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 11:43 AM
Makes sense. I remember Sara Mclachlan, Freddy Prinze Jr. and Bon Jovi being available as celebrities for download in the official web; so yeah, PR all over.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 8:52 AM
Yes, I can understand the PR, but how is Andy Warhol going to help with that? The game doesn't even include any of his art, I think. Also, he isn't famous for being a director but for his pop art which ins't relevant to the fame career.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MeowMixPls
Yes, I can understand the PR, but how is Andy Warhol going to help with that? The game doesn't even include any of his art, I think. Also, he isn't famous for being a director but for his pop art which ins't relevant to the fame career.

Andy Warhol was the biggest fame wh*re of all time and reinvented what it meant to be a celebrity. He is the one who said that in the future, everybody would be famous for 15 minutes. So that's why he was included. Literally, reality TV, social media stardom and people like the Human Ken Doll wouldn't exist if it weren't for him because he was the one who said you didn't have to be part of the Hollywood elite to be famous anymore. All you needed was a camera and some publicity, and as long as you could gain some attention for yourself, you could be as famous as any Hollywood celebrity.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 2:33 AM
You know, I think you give a little too much credit to Warhol. Most of the things you mention were not in his control, like the surge or reality TV because of the Writers Guild strike, or the development and use of social media. He just said something that was kind off true; with better and more accessible technology, fame is more accessible (although not necessarily better ) and people can have their fame for a while. Celebrities aren't always great or famous for their whole career, nor are they indefinitely remembered by the public. And they also existed before Hollywood, movies or even theater.
That said, I played the Sims when even The Sims 2 was old hat for EA and thought the real life celebs really dated the game. I think it would have been more fun if they had made up their own, or made parodies, or had done them 'in the style of'. I never thought Warhol was that out of place though, especially the Fashion lots could be very artistic. The Fashion career track also more about the schmoozing and the drama than about what you actually create.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 7:35 AM
Elle Woods was a bit of curve ball though. Wonder why they made that character into an NPC celebrity (wish we could find the download for that one).
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 3:40 PM
I suspect it was mostly a matter of the personal taste of the person with decision-making authority + the cost and availability of permissions.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)