Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 6:19 PM
Default Can't install Sims 1
I'd like to try the game once more but I can't install it - I can't even reach the first screen. BTW: my CD is OK -tried it out on an older XP PC.

At first I thought that Windows 7 (Professional 64-bit) were the culprit. I looked around the web and found some posts about the problem; the only solution offered, however, was to use a compatibility mode and/or run the game as the administrator. That doesn't work for me; I tried all the possible combinations, even 256-colour, and nothing works.

I am beginning to suspect that my video card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 275) might be the problem but I could not find anything about that.

Any ideas?

P.S. Posting here because there is no MTS Sims 1 Help Section.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 6:36 PM
The sims 1 still works. It just needs an old computer that can keep up with it.

I have played the sims 1 recently on an old computer in my computer room..It works like it was brand new! But we had to get rid of that computer last week.

But Sims 1 still works.

im a simmer and proud of it! <3
Instructor
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 7:08 PM
Welp, I have the same thing you do, so I don't know why it doesn't work for you. What about it isn't working?

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 8:17 PM
I'm running sims 1 complete collection on a Brand New desktop computer, windows 7 64 bit, i5 intel processor, 8 GB RAM, and an intel integrated HD 2000 graphics card.

I didn't even have to use compatibility mode. On my Last computer, with windows vista 32 bit, I DID have to run it in windows XP compatibility mode to get it to fully install.

You could be right, it could be the graphics card. I don't know for sure. I've heard people say it installs and runs fine, and I've heard people who cannot get it to install and run. I wish I had the answer for you OP and I don't.

I wish the official sims 1 site was still up. That's where I learned to use compatibility mode for the older computer.
Inventor
#5 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 5:48 AM
What condition is the disc in? I know you said it ran fine on an older PC, but some computers/ DVD players/ CD players handle scratches better than other. If the disc is badly scratched, or has cracks, that could still be the reason why it won't work as files may be corrupted.
Theorist
#6 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 9:06 PM
Changing to windows 7 basic is fine, it means that your PC is simplifying itself, but the idea that it's not doing anything afterward seems slightly strange. Don't know what to suggest, really.. You're running yourself as an admin, using XP compatibility mode.. maybe try google around? It seems hit and miss with old games :/

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Forum Resident
#7 Old 31st Jul 2012 at 10:59 PM
Hmmmm I couldn't run TS1 on windows 7 64bit either but in the end 256 colours, run as administrator and combatibility mode for windows xp (service pack 2) made it work for me.
What is the problem it's giving you? Won't it start up at all or are you getting some strange glichy graphics. I have tried to search for a list of compatible/uncompatible graphics cards for TS1 but I've had no luck yet!

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 8:39 PM
I have the exact same problem. Is there any possible solution to it yet? I really want to play.
Test Subject
#9 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 2:18 PM
Default I can't play my game
my game keeps telling me i need to download the updates, I did and then it says do you want to install the updates, i did and then it ask do you want to unstall it?
Why do i keep getting this message? I would like to play it
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 3:40 PM
To which loacation did you install your game, Shadow07Sims2? Are you on Windows 7?
Test Subject
#11 Old 20th Sep 2012 at 9:18 PM
I instll it in programs / start menua and running Windows 7
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 12:30 AM
That's not the install location, that's just where it's put the shortcuts.

I'm guessing from what you are saying that you've installed it to the default location, which will be Program Files or Program Files(x86). Sims 1 is really best installed to a location other than the default one for Win7/Vista, since it has to write the save files to that location too (and UAC can interfere with this). So I would recommend to make a folder specifically for your games to be installed to, such as C:\ Games, and install it there.

What updates exactly are being asked for when you try to install the game? Could you post a screenshot? I'm almost certain that Sims 1 did not ask me to install updates when I installed it, so perhaps this message will help us to understand what's happening.
Test Subject
#13 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 1:01 AM Last edited by Shadow07Sims2 : 21st Sep 2012 at 1:10 AM. Reason: Can't play
I don't know how to take a picture through Prtsc, Where do you install the game, it tells me to pick the location?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 1:57 AM
How to take pictures:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=337371

You should be able to pick 'custom' or 'advanced' to get to dialog where you can change the game path, then choose the folder you created (for example C:\Games). So your install path would be C:\ Games\ Maxis.
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 5:14 PM Last edited by Shadow07Sims2 : 22nd Sep 2012 at 1:34 AM.
After I install the game and exit the game I still get the same message and I put it in the right folder this time when I try to play The Sims Deluxe Edition

I even took all my games out and reinstall it in order and I still get the message. I would like to play my game
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 1:38 AM
Great job! Congratulations!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 2:53 AM
I would test it out on my W7, but I left the original game disc in my old desktop and we gave it away.

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Mad Poster
#18 Old 30th Nov 2012 at 8:22 AM
Try DOSBox. Compatability mode in Windows 7 is notorious for not working with old games.
Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 2:42 AM
What's the exact problem? Is it hanging at 99% or 100% when it's beginning the installation? Because if it's that problem it just requires a lot of patience >.<

Or Is it something else?
Test Subject
#20 Old 1st Feb 2013 at 8:23 PM
Hi,

The Sims Complete Collection (four CD's) is installed at Program Files\Maxis\The Sims on my PC. I installed the game here as I thought this would have been the path used when the game got first released as there might not have been a Program Files (x86) patch back then.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit with a GTX 560 SE GPU and have no problems running the game.
Inventor
#21 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 11:30 AM
for me works fine on win7 64bits. it was necessary to set up the "run as administrator" and "compatibility mode" Windows Xp service pack 2. maybe simsample is right, because i installed outside the "Program Files (x86)" folder to make it work.
Test Subject
#22 Old 13th Feb 2013 at 2:18 AM
I can't even get it to install properly. As soon as I get to the last expansion, somehow (don't ask me how) it uninstalls every single expansion and the base game except for livin' it up and makin magic. I think it may be because my windows 7 computer has too much memory for it to handle because when I get to Superstar it says I don't have enough RAM when I checked and have plenty.
Although it used to work on my sister's windows 7 computer but it uninstalled itself after a while and haven't been able to play it since.
Test Subject
#23 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 7:13 PM Last edited by LKPlaysSims : 1st Apr 2018 at 10:08 PM.
Default DOSBox Won't Work For That...
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Try DOSBox. Compatability mode in Windows 7 is notorious for not working with old games.

DOSBox wouldn't work. It has problems running OSes past Windows 3.11, but The Sims requires Windows 95 or later. You can install Windows 95 in DOSBox, but it would mainly be for nostalgia, not for an early 2000s game! A better solution would be to install Windows XP or Vista in VirtualBox or VMware, a Virtual Machine program, then link the host (Real PC) DVD-ROM drive with the VM's (Virtual Machine's) virtual DVD-ROM drive, and install The Sims from that, then download a No-CD patch, because The Sims will think the VM's virtual DVD-ROM drive, doesn't have the correct disc. (Edit: I now realize that the No-CD patch could be imagined as piracy, but I've also realized that the disc will work. I thought it wouldn't work, because I used to use Virtual PC 2007, which it didn't work in for me.)