Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 2:13 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to change parents genetics in simPE to get desired child (skintone)
I'm trying to change two sims genetics so when they have a baby, it comes out with exactly the skintone I want.
Neither of the parents have the skintone in question.
I know I could change the genetic values of the three skintone files so they are on a range, but since I only want this outcome for one baby in the game, I think it might be easier to just change the simDNA of the parents before they have the baby. I know I could also just have the baby be born first and then change its skintone in SimPE but that takes away the magic of the game for me somehow, so I'm leaving that as last resort (plus, if it doesn't work, there's nothing I can do.)
Can I just change the parents recessive skin values/dom or recessive skin range values in their DNA to my desired skintone so the baby comes out how I want it to? If so, which of the three should I change (recessive skin, dominant skin range, recessive skin range)? I don't want to change the parents' visible skintones, I just want to change their genetics for a baby.
If it matters, one parent has a maxis skin and one has a custom skin that isn't geneticised.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 1:06 PM Last edited by maxon : 15th Aug 2017 at 5:49 PM.
tbh it might be better to change the SimDNA of the baby when it's born. The only way to ensure a kid gets a specific skintone is to have one of the adults wearing a custom one that hasn't been geneticised. And it has to be one parent, or both parents wearing the same one, since if you have both parents wearing two different non-genetic skintones, there's only a 50% chance the kid will get the skintone. Custom non-genetic skintones trump everything in sim-genetics but otherwise it's chance what skintone the kid gets, choosing from all skins between the skintone range you mention, including the mother and father's skins. Even if you remove all skintones between the range and just have the mother and father's skins, you still end up with a 50% chance.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
tbh it might be better to change the SimDNA of the baby when it's born. The only way to ensure a kid gets a specific skintone is to have one of the adults wearing a custom one that hasn't been geneticised. And it has to be one parent, or both parents wearing the same one, since if you have both parents wearing two different non-genetic skintones, there's only a 50% chance the kid will get the skintone. Custom non-genetic skintones trump everything in sim-genetics but otherwise it's chance what skintone the kid gets, choosing from all skins between the skintone range you mention, including the mother and father's skins. Even if you remove all skintones between the range and just have the mother and father's skins, you still end up with a 50% chance.

Let's say I change the custom skin (that one of the parent's has) to be genetic, and then I set BOTH of the parents recessive skintone values to the skintone I want on my baby.
Is there a chance that despite neither parent showing that skintone, the baby will come out with that skintone since it's in both of their DNA? If not idk what's the point of having the recessive and range values in simpe.
I don't really care if the chance isn't 100, since I can always just not save and re-enter the lot to have the baby be born again.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 11:04 AM
As far as I'm aware, the recessive values aren't used by the game - the game just looks at the parents' (genetically dominant?) skintones and picks either one of them, or a skintone with a genetic value between the two.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 5:42 PM
So..what are the recessive values for?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Aug 2017 at 7:10 PM
TS2 has lots of half-finished features and code that was written and then abandoned in favour of doing things another way, it's probably as simple as that.

Instructor
#7 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 5:57 PM
Nysha, are you sure the game doesn't use reccesive genetics? A sim couple in my game had a medium-skinned baby, with the mother being light-skinned and the father tan-skinned, so the reccesive values ARE used. Their other child has light blue eyes, another reccesive gene from both, since the mother has brown eyes and the father has green eyes. So OP, if you want a baby with a specific skintone, you will have to keep trying until you get it.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 3:12 PM
The game definitely uses recessive genetics for eyes, hair colour etc. I don't think it uses them for skintone, and I've never seen any evidence that it does - but it's not clear which out of "medium skinned" and "tan skinned" is S2 or S3 in your situation, that might be the first example.

Instructor
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 5:03 PM
The father has S2, the mother S1, and the baby came out with S3. That gene was only at the recessive part from both parents.