Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 9:44 AM
Default Alpine County Road Trick?
Hi guys!

I'm a long time user of the forums, though I'm not a very active commenter or poster.

As a lot of you might know, Alpine County is one of the most popular user-made worlds for Sims 3. It's very well loved for its intricate detail, style, and scale, as it covers content from every expansion and offers a bunch of environments that all blend together. I personally love it- it's one of my absolute favourite worlds.

There is one aspect of the world that interests me, which is the entrance to the gated community. Alpine County has a fancy neighbourhood which is fenced off, which sims access through a lot called the Gated Community Entrance, seen in the attachments.

What is curious about this lot is that, while it is without a doubt a lot, cars drive over it as though it is an active, properly routed road. They drive in a straight line, through the middle of the lot, following the line of the road (and actually clipping through the guard building in the process!). Luckily as I went to take screenshots of it, an NPC drove through, and I was able to demonstrate what this looks like.

I'm curious as to how this was accomplished, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I've tried looking into it and can't find any information. I reached out to the creator, but they didn't reply. I like making worlds myself, and I have this great idea for an inner-city building based on a building at my university, which is actually two buildings on opposite sides of the road, joined by a footbridge. I would love to recreate this effect, but I have no idea how! I think if you simply place a lot over a road, it forces the sim out of the car and they walk across the lot, is that right?

Any insights would be helpful! As I said, I follow the forums here (especially the CAW forums!) and all of you are amazingly clever for figuring things out.

Thanks!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 1:32 AM
I have noticed the same lot. I have never tested it myself, but it should indeed be as simple as plop the lot over the road.

I do think that doing this, however, would result in sims getting out of their car and walking across the lot, or simply finding another route, however one possible solution should be to set the lot to "no visitors allowed". Again, I have never tested this, so it may simply work without needing to set no visitors, but it may not, either way.

If the lot is residential (and you only expect the residents and invited guests to be there), this should work, as "no visitors" basically, from what I can tell, disallows NPCs unless they have reason to be there. If it is set, then NPCs on the road would ignore the lot, staying in their cars as they go through.

I may try and test this later, as I once had a similar idea, but never finished it.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 16th Jun 2018 at 9:54 PM
It appears to me that the little side "road" that angles around the building is NOT a road - the car goes perfectly straight to the other real road on the other side. The only way to fix it would be to make the little angled "road" a real road. Or put a road intersection piece at the end before the building. I think the sim would stop, get out and walk to appear on the other side as with a broken bridge. I guess another intersection would have to be placed on the other side as well, to continue on with a vehicle.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 17th Jun 2018 at 11:04 PM
Is the building a usable building, or just an object?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 7:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Is the building a usable building, or just an object?

It's a completely functional lot, cars just somehow drive over it. So, definitely a lot and not a world object
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
It appears to me that the little side "road" that angles around the building is NOT a road - the car goes perfectly straight to the other real road on the other side. The only way to fix it would be to make the little angled "road" a real road. Or put a road intersection piece at the end before the building. I think the sim would stop, get out and walk to appear on the other side as with a broken bridge. I guess another intersection would have to be placed on the other side as well, to continue on with a vehicle.

Agreed, the "road" on the lot is definitely not an actual road, just decorated to look like one. The 2x2 sidewalk tiles are a dead giveaway. My question is more how they still got the car to drive over the lot.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bobgrey1997
I have noticed the same lot. I have never tested it myself, but it should indeed be as simple as plop the lot over the road.

I do think that doing this, however, would result in sims getting out of their car and walking across the lot, or simply finding another route, however one possible solution should be to set the lot to "no visitors allowed". Again, I have never tested this, so it may simply work without needing to set no visitors, but it may not, either way.

If the lot is residential (and you only expect the residents and invited guests to be there), this should work, as "no visitors" basically, from what I can tell, disallows NPCs unless they have reason to be there. If it is set, then NPCs on the road would ignore the lot, staying in their cars as they go through.

I may try and test this later, as I once had a similar idea, but never finished it.

I've tested plopping a lot over a road, but as you predicted it just sort of erases that section of the road. I haven't tried playing with lot zoning though! I'll have to test it out, great idea