Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
Sims is for all-aged. It could be a dark game if sims has sim-disabilities.
Imagine there is a sim sat on wheel chair passing your house by themselves, then sim without leg, a blind sim walking by their own... No.
It's a good idea to enhance the gameplay when your sim is at elder state, but these gave me goosebumps.

Disability is also all-aged it doesn't just happen to older people. There are disabled kids and there are kids who see disabled people every day. Disability is a normal thing and not a tragedy in any way. And you know what I imagined a sim sitting on a wheelchair passing my house by themselves, and a sim without a leg, and a blind sim walking by themselves as well. I liked it and I would love to see that in the game because it is a realistic reality and makes the game feel more authentic, fun, and diverse.
Advertisement
Instructor
#102 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 12:47 PM
I don't think the current engine for Sims 4 is up to the job of recreating so many disabilities. The furthest they could go, I think, is a pack for elderly Sims with walking canes, wheelchairs and such. It would not cause division in the Sims community that way. That's what younger folk think happens to the elderly these days. Then anybody wanting to can use the objects for all ages. I'm older and I've got compromised immunity and am gathering disabilities one by one and using such a pack as that is the only way I would want to see them added.
Some problems like mine come with deep undiagnosed depression to go with them. Maybe hope for something in Sims 5 if it comes along?
Mad Poster
#103 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 1:13 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 31st Aug 2019 at 1:28 PM.
^ If the TS4 creators can't figure out spiral stairs or cars, I doubt they can figure out wheelchairs...

The closest we've gotten to wheelchairs is probably cars (and the NPC items like robots and remote controlled car) in TS2 and bikes/strollers in TS3. Making wheelchairs for decoration purposes or as regular chairs isn't difficult, and to some degree I guess you could make them work outdoors as a transport method from A to B, but it's probably harder to make them work indoors. There's stairs/elevators, getting around furniture, plus a vast array of extra animations to think about. The TS4 creators already seem to be struggling with several things you found in the basegame or early EPs of the earlier games, so I honestly can't see them doing this.

If by some miracle they figure it out and decide to make a themed expansion, I think it would've worked best as a game pack. It would be completely optional, and have a bit more going for it than a stuff pack, since I have a feeling they would never consider making it into an EP.
Mad Poster
#104 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 10:06 PM
Maxis would be dumb and have Sims around disabled one receive and act around moodlets that advertise feeling pity/sorry, become (Very) Sad and confront the disabled Sim about that. They would really need to consult anyone that's, or knows what's it's like being disabled and being around them in a daily day manner. Know the struggles, know how they get around this, what they do when reminded of their differences, incapabilities and capabilities that others of walking and no disorder people don't have and not encounter. Don't think they have experience/insight of it, nor I would trust to implement it properly that wouldn't hurt many of the fan-base of the controversial suggestion. More so, what about those who prefer only enabled Sims for whatever reason? The Team can't develop toggles for options, so how would they find balance to please both side of the argument groups?

If TS4 was TS2, like during that old game's time, those developers and production would very possible know better how to make proper representation, since that game is literally filled with attention to details to its grim. If there was some sort of compilying to said demand, Simmers (especially disabled) that suggested it would most likely be pleased with the result, because the developers team would most likely would succeed in bringing it to the adoreness level, as it the whole game with accurate details and stuff.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#105 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 10:11 PM
^ That's the biggest danger. They've ruined more than enough expansion already by putting in unnecessary things and omitting things players actually would like.

If they managed to make items with useful functions and animations players could build upon, that would probably be the best way around this. I think players would be able to handle this theme a lot better than EA.
Mad Poster
#106 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 10:16 PM
Which game you're talking about? Starting with TS3 (and some say since BV/FT), I agree and through the two recent iterations the quality drop at a time.

Mad Poster
#107 Old 31st Aug 2019 at 10:27 PM
TS4, mostly. Things did start go downhill in the TS3 era (mostly because the game engine was a little too weak for what they wanted to put into it, and would probably have worked better if it was 64-bit and properly play-tested - but also some of the strange graphical choices), but plummeted to entirely new levels with TS4.

TS2 has its issues, but in my opinion it's got a bit more going for it than 3 or 4 (it has been one of my favorite hobbies for 13 years - 4 is just a game I occasionally play but get easily bored with, and I haven't played 3 in several years).
Forum Resident
#108 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 3:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
TS2 has its issues, but in my opinion it's got a bit more going for it than 3 or 4 (it has been one of my favorite hobbies for 13 years - 4 is just a game I occasionally play but get easily bored with, and I haven't played 3 in several years).

TS2 has the most unified content and best interactions between Sims for sure. If it weren't for its multiple sources of corruption, and if it had a few more features from later games to make it somewhat more "modern", it would be my favorite Sims game. Coming from a hardcore TS3er, I definitely can give TS2 its due. I played it for years without ever getting bored. It's somewhat harder nowadays. The biggest thing is the game world, it's incredibly obvious the game is from 2004. I guess I've been too spoiled by open world, but it's not even the closed lots that bother me.

Now, while I can still play TS2 with a few setbacks, I'm in the same boat as you with TS4. I've never bought more than the base game and one expansion. Some might would say that's the problem, but I say far from it. If the base isn't enough to hold my interest, how can I be sure the rest will. Reading about a pack/listening to a review vs actually playing with the content can be two totally different things. And if you look at buying packs as "rewarding" the devs, then I'm not about to do that either. Fix your bug-riddled game along with all of the other content you've broken over the years and continue to ignore, then maybe I might would see about buying anything else.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#109 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 8:53 AM
As said a year ago before this thread died, this is a no win for EA.
Mad Poster
#110 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 9:39 AM
I'm certain EA wouldn't fail If they put the Anti Dog House Bald Guy in charge and concept design management for Disabled Game Pack. I mean, he sounds type of the guy that knowns and, pun unintented, grants based of what players want. Lol, and why does title sound like something what pack be called. "Where are disabilities Game Pack" .

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#111 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
T it's incredibly obvious the game is from 2004. I guess I've been too spoiled by open world, but it's not even the closed lots that bother me.

The game packed full of CC or the vanilla game? There is quite a difference. A lot of people who haven't played sims 2 in years are thinking of how their games looked back in 2007. We have trait mods, moving clouds, reflective rippling water and a lot of high textured items now.

As to the original question of this thread, I think adding disabilities would be a lot of work for very little added play value and if it were done I think it would stir up a storm of controversy either because of which disability was left out or how they were portrayed. I have epilepsy, that alone comes in a huge range of shades as with most conditions, unique to the person. I have no wish to have a caricature of a seizure disorder showing up in my game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#112 Old 1st Sep 2019 at 1:52 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Sep 2019 at 2:31 PM.
My game is usually packed full of CC, and no longer looks 2004-ish. The vanilla game does, though. I haven't played with the original skins or eyes since 2006 - but some of the original hairs and even a few of the EP clothes look better than the rubbery style in TS4, and the default shine in TS3 makes everything look like a mix of plastic and colored metal.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
As to the original question of this thread, I think adding disabilities would be a lot of work for very little added play value and if it were done I think it would stir up a storm of controversy either because of which disability was left out or how they were portrayed. I have epilepsy, that alone comes in a huge range of shades as with most conditions, unique to the person. I have no wish to have a caricature of a seizure disorder showing up in my game.

True, that. As a feature of the game, disabilities would be rather difficult to tackle in a good way.
There's always the possibility of using poses and CC for storytelling, though.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 6th Sep 2019 at 6:03 PM
Due to a glitch one of my Sims suddenly had no head. You can’t get much more disabled than that.
Page 5 of 5