Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#376 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 11:19 PM
I am going to be around later guys, as I have scores to add up.
I may be a bit on comments tho. I got tied up in a creative furor last night. and figured out the rabbit head problem so trying to figure out how many mods I need. So don't expect comments til around midnight :D
Advertisement
Helptato
#377 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 11:36 PM
I don't THINK I used any orange in the making of my entry, so I'm safe from the orange hating judge

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Mad Poster
#378 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 11:50 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Feb 2018 at 12:05 AM.
Mine has orange. But in the context, burnt orange makes sense. And I'm a play-along. Any orange-hating judgests will give me a frowny face, that's all!

Still trying to make Plan A work. I like it for my hood with some tweaks. Off to get a particular bench that would work better, as well as a few other stand-bys.

But the lot is STILL over budget and still not quite what I'm looking for here. I want a place with a bit of a 70s feel. This place is dated, but the locals like it.

However, it's another flat roof, it may be too reminiscent of lots I've done before, I had trouble finding enough 70s-esque touches and did I mention it's WAY over budget? I haven't even done the outside yet, and it's 8K over! Also, it looks too fresh. I need to dirty it up just a little! And also ... boxy. Really boxy. Roller and ice rinks do tend to be boxy, however.

I've been working on this since I first saw the new round's budget and size, so this I started this before the roller rink was suggested here. I was contemplating an ice rink at first. Yes, they do have a few real-life ones out there. I was surprised, too. But desert dwellers might like to ice skate, too!

Quick peek to show you I have been working on something. Needs a WHOLE ton of work yet. And at this point, I am probably going to give Plan B a try as well, because it seems I can't keep A in line (no pun intended). Haven't even started on B!

(Thuds head on desk. Again.) Ah, well. Make the terrain lush, do a tweak or two, and it might look OK on my college campus. My college Sims have no place to roller boogie.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#379 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 12:15 AM
"cough" could reprice custom content.... "Cough"
Mad Poster
#380 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 12:58 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Feb 2018 at 1:51 AM.
Actually, turns out I was too good to my Simmies. They're paying more attention to the food machines. arcade and ... err ... juice bar than the rink. Also, I could cut down on the lights over the rink.

So I removed one vending machine, two arcade machines, and three rink lights, and I'm now 2000 over. I'm replacing the sofas with flat, backless benches that if I recall, were a little cheaper. I still will need to cut more to do some plant-plopping, though. And pay more attention to the rink, you darn Sims. You are supposed to SKATE, darn it! Routing works fine, at any rate.

The exterior looks too 80s. Avocado, burnt orange, gold and wood tones, of course, with a little off-white! I'm not sure desert structures had aluminum siding (frowns). Might need some research. But with all those recolors out there, I can surely find avocado stucco, plaster, paneling or something like that. Maxis has a good gold plaster, actually. (Palette to refresh my memory: https://retrorenovation.com/2010/04...ifornia-paints/)

And on to Plan B from there, and I'll see which one I like better. Problem is, I've been dreading Plan B (hint there). Do I really want to tear what little hair there is left on my head out?

Mad Poster
#381 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 1:51 AM
Why shouldn't you get aluminum siding in the desert? People don't go around touching siding all the time and the kinds of buildings that have it are also insulated. Most sheds - including the large ones at the rodeo grounds - are metal, also; and metal roofing beats shingle any day of the week.

However, stucco/adobe/concrete are far more common in buildings like rinks.

And when did we get the Round 2 size and budget? I can't find them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#382 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:02 AM
Lol, the orange hating judge is not a judge this time around, so you won't know what we hate mwhahaha.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#383 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:21 AM
2. Entertainment lot/bar (example) 100,000 and 3x4 or 4x3 @Peni Griffin

It had new around it in the lot types list
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#384 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:33 AM Last edited by gdayars : 24th Feb 2018 at 8:51 PM. Reason: adding build breakdown numbers
Default Scores for Round 1
Scores out of a possible 90. One judge's sheet lost her comments, because it saved wrong, so I only have her scores

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#385 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:41 AM
Double posting to say, tomorrow night I will do the play along's comments and smileys
Forum Resident
#386 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:57 AM
thank you judges <3 I will certainly keep my narrow spaces in mind (i tried my best to avoid them and keep everything 2 tiles wide BUT ALAS hahahaha) OH and I used decking to save money haha...hahaha....I shouldn't have done that
Mad Poster
#387 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 3:58 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Feb 2018 at 9:16 AM.
Comments for playalongs? (Shudders). Considering I had half the time to do the lot and chaos was ensuing (as it is wont to do when I enter contests, which is why I'm at least trying to get something ready this time, just in case), egads. I was lucky to get something out!

When I used the last lot in my hood, though, I did change over one or two things I wasn't happy with once I had a good look in a calmer mindset. I am curious to see if the judges agreed.

OK. Managed to squeeze the budget on the current lot to stick in at least a little fauna. It won't look lush, but it shouldn't look too forsaken. I need to do some video game research and still find an appropriately avocado poured wall. It's gotta be JUST the right shade of 70s avocado! It's out there waiting for me somewhere ...

Found that. I think. Also considering roofing and looking at RL commercial buildings in US desert areas.

Also, I found this for inspiration. Yes, it's SimCity, but perhaps this might spark an idea. Some of these things, I don't think you can use, and some, I'm not quite sure WHY you would want them, but this IS coming from a niche builder.

http://simcity.wikia.com/wiki/List_...nment_buildings

Looking at that, I think I might switch my Plan B. I really wanted that for one of the last two rounds. Museums can have coffee bars ....

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#388 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 4:22 AM
Well I will definitely keep them to a minimum Gazania
Helptato
#389 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 4:22 AM
I'm pleased with my score, hopefully I can pull off next round's entry better

I'm aware of the possible routing issues, it probably could have been laid out a bit better.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Mad Poster
#390 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 5:14 AM
Congratulations, everyone, and raising a glass to the winner, justJones (very well deserved )

Thank you, Judges, I find the comments very helpful (off to change the bars on the new lot )

Happy building, fellow contestants! And happy drinking
Instructor
#391 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 7:53 AM
CONGRATULATIONS to all the contestents.. :lovestruc

gdayars..in the comments Freelala you mentioned that you would help her with her Fraps and FastStone if she needed help..

I was wondering if you could help me or someone else..my Fraps has stopped working..and I have no idea how to fix it..I have downloaded it several times..and I have no idea what FastStone is..please

We can use Skype if you have it..I also have a mic and webcam..my user id I will give to you if you pm me..

Can't wait to see what comments I will be getting..and a bit terrified as well lol
Mad Poster
#392 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 8:41 AM
I take all my screenshots with windows 10 - press alt + Printscreen, paste it into paint and save it - if it can help anyone. I find it easier than to struggle with screenshot programs which don't always work with Windows 10 (or at least not properly). While it may not work as well for storytelling, it does work very well for lot pics.
Instructor
#393 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 8:50 AM Last edited by broomhilda61 : 24th Feb 2018 at 9:14 AM.
Thank you Justpetro..

I have Windows 7..and I have used the printscreen..hate it lol..

My pictures for this entry was used with in game picture taking and then resized in Photoshop..

I have never been good at picture taking..and have done everything everyone has said to do with tutorials but still they are not as good as they should be..

EDIT:

Ok I uninstalled Fraps..did a search to make sure there wasn't anything on my computer and then reinstalled it..but I don't think it's working..going into the game to make sure..
Mad Poster
#394 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:16 AM
I also had to practice a lot It get easier with time. If you use the in game camera and take screenshots, the quality will be a lot better than the in game shots. It is better to make pics smaller when needed than to make them larger, quality wise. One gets used to PrintScreen in time and, for me, it also means less programs on my system. I did use Fraps and Gadwin for a while when I still had Windows 7, but personally, the print screen for me is less trouble.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#395 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:39 AM Last edited by Karen Lorraine : 24th Feb 2018 at 9:52 AM.
Thank you judges. Loving all the entries so far!

Just a note to say there was no foot stomping on playtesting

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#396 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 9:47 AM
Thank you Justpetro..for the help and tips..

I am glad you didn't have any foot stomping Karen lol..

I did even though I had 2 stairs I still had that stupid foot stomping and hand waving..omgosh..Sims are idiots I swear it was the brain fart..the person to take you to your seat..going first then the sim was supposed to follow..well of course that hand waving and stomping around..until he realized he can use the other stairs.. I always put 2 stairs in my builds just for that reason..but when I am playing I get them to learn the Ninja teleport..this way they don't have to use the stairs..for the most part lol..

Ok went into the game..took pictures with Fraps and nothing I give up..
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#397 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 10:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by broomhilda61
I am glad you didn't have any foot stomping Karen lol..

I did even though I had 2 stairs I still had that stupid foot stomping and hand waving..omgosh..Sims are idiots I swear it was the brain fart..the person to take you to your seat..going first then the sim was supposed to follow..well of course that hand waving and stomping around..until he realized he can use the other stairs.. I always put 2 stairs in my builds just for that reason..but when I am playing I get them to learn the Ninja teleport..this way they don't have to use the stairs..for the most part lol..

Ok went into the game..took pictures with Fraps and nothing I give up..
What OS are you running? Fraps says it supports Windows XP, 2003, Vista, and Windows 7 only. I use Fraps (am still on Windows 7) and have no problems using it. I have changed where my screenshots go as otherwise they can be a bit difficult to find. Mine now go to a folder in My Documents.

Regarding the stairs, which ones are you using? If you use the connecting stairs they allow more than one sim to use them at a time. The 'staircases' ones don't (that also includes the spiral ones).

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#398 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 10:46 AM
I have windows 7 but not sure what OS means..

With Fraps you can go to view screenshots and they will be there..but I have nothing..no pictures, no timer at the top left hand corner of the game when Fraps is running..

For the stairs it is all of them that the sims do it with..when there are 2 people going up..or trying to lol..in game and cc stairs..

I think I need to move this to a topic..so I don't get in trouble posting all this in the contest entry field..sorry everyone..

Thank you Karen for your help..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#399 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 11:10 AM
OS stands for Operating System and yours is 7, so Fraps should work.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#400 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 11:22 AM
I have placed my lot, and have decided on the mountain theme. Now comes the difficult part. I have an idea in my head for the structure, but I've never done anything like it, and I think I'm procrastinating out of nervousness. I like function to dictate form, and that is not what is happening in my head.

AKA. Anora Acadian

Page 16 of 59