Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:54 PM
Default Suggestion: Add information about RAR5 to Install Instructions
Every so often, I see people commenting on downloads about the download files being broken - almost exclusively on rar archives that use the (relatively) new RAR5 format, which not all programs can properly support. (7-Zip can.)

I would suggest adding information to this to install instructions. Also, if an upload is a rar file, perhaps there could be added a notice to the Files tab of the upload page (along the lines of "File seem to be broken? Click here" with a link to a page about the issue).

It would reduce some frustration for both the users and uploaders, I'd think.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 1:16 PM
I would also suggest to link to 7zip here:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._Install_WinRAR
Instead of WinRAR as a program for extracting rar files.

The reasons being:
1) 7zip can extract Zip, rar and 7zip, which are the three formats covered in that article. Why encourage people to install two programs when one will do?
2) 7zip is free and open source, whereas WinRAR is nagware.
3) If you encourage uploaders to use the 7zip format instead of rar then filesize of uploads could be reduced

There are links on the 7zip download page for Mac and Linux p7zip packages.
https://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 4:33 PM
rar does has a few advantages over 7z (error correction is the main one for me), but I still prefer 7z for its better compression.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives