Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 1:14 AM Last edited by egnite987 : 23rd Sep 2011 at 2:22 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Seasons - Snow refuses to show on ground. (Resolved)
So I recently bought the Sims 2 and all it's expansion packs and everything was running perfectly, the animals were playing, witches were cursing and snow was falling.
The problem I had was that it looked visually bad because I have a windscreen monitor, so I researched how to make the sims 2 widescreen and did it and it looked great! The only problem I encountered right now was that when It was snowing no snow grew on the floor, I go into the graphics settings and click "On" for "Snow on Ground" but when I click Apply Settings, it reverts itself back to "Off".

Any suggestions? I looked it up, and it appears to be a relatively rare problem, as I found no solutions.

(This question was initially asked by 'arc07693' but no one replied!)

Please, If anyone can make a mod to force the snow to show or has any ideas on how to fix this please help.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 19th Sep 2011 at 4:17 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 19th Sep 2011 at 6:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by egnite987
I don't think so, sorry :s. I'm new here btw but It's really annoying when people don't post on your thread even though you have 20 views.. I posted my thread about 7 hours ago and no one has replied even though there's 20 views!
It isn't useful for everyone to post saying "I haven't got a clue about your problem, but I'm going to clutter up your thread with my non-answer". If someone has something to say, they will post.

We are not paid professionals who have access to the inner workings of the source code. We are volunteers who log on in our spare time and try to help people. Because of this, 7 hours is not a long time at all. People from other parts of the world may still be asleep. Not everyone logs on every day. Not everyone knows the answers to your questions.

Please don't hijack other people's threads with useless comments:
http://www.modthesims.info/m/showthread.php?t=455808

Since arc07693 actually got an answer to the question, why don't you try that suggestion first? The fact that arc07693 never posted back suggests that the problem was resolved:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=451493

If that suggestion does not solve your problem, then post back (in this thread) telling us exactly what you tried, in your own words, and the results of each of your tests.

You might also want to post your system specs, since it's possible that your computer cannot handle that graphic effect:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:System_Specs

Have you tried running in a 4x3 mode (not widescreen) in a window?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 9:28 AM
Haha... I'm sorry about that.. I just really need help, that's all..
Site Helper
#4 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 4:25 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th Sep 2011 at 4:53 PM.
Then try my suggestions and the suggestions from the other thread and let us know the results.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 4:43 AM Last edited by egnite987 : 21st Sep 2011 at 4:56 AM.
I HAVE looked around and found nothing thus far. The thing is I know why my problem has happened, It's because I made it widescreen and had to change the 'GraphicsRules' file to do so. I just would like to know if anyone has encountered or has found a solution to this issue.

Before I changed it to widescreen all the weather effects were working perfectly fine, in windowed and in the other resolutions that were available. It wasn't until I change the 'GraphicsRules' file to make it full screen that this problem occurred. To clarify everything, I changed the 'GraphicsRules' file in the Apartment Life folder and then the snow stopped showing on the floor and when I click 'on' to 'Show snow on floor' it reverts itself back to 'off'. That's the issue that's happening I would just like if someone could make a mod to overule this or something that could make the game ignore that option and make it on by default.

Thank you for reading this btw.
Site Helper
#6 Old 21st Sep 2011 at 4:38 PM
You still haven't posted your system specs. Since you modded the GraphicsRules yourself, you may have told the game that your machine is more powerful than it actually is. Alternatively, you may have modded the file incorrectly and the game may be doing the best that it can with invalid information.

I have not seen many people complaining about this issue, so I'm assuming that the game can handle snow in widescreen mode. Since I don't have a widescreen monitor, we'll have to rely on someone else to verify that the game can handle snow in widescreen mode.

Also, this is not the place to request mods. In your case, I doubt that a mod will help, since it seems that you are one of only a few people who are experiencing this problem. Because of that, I suspect something on your computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 12:03 AM
Here's my system specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/22/2011, 09:03:08
Machine name: ADMIN-PC
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.110617-0336)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7529
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1583MB used, 5781MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5670

Would you like me to post all of the dxdiag as well?
Site Helper
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 12:49 AM
OK, I'm stumped. I have no idea why this is happening. Perhaps someone else will have some ideas. Thanks for supplying all of that information; it should be useful to anyone who wants to help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 3:45 AM
No Problem and thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 3:52 AM
I have a widescreen monitor and have made those changes, and snow looks fine. However there are snow settings in the file so if you accidentally set something wrong it could affect how graphic options work in the game.

Attach your "Graphics Rules.sgr" to a post and I'll take a look at it to see if it looks OK.

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 4:50 AM Last edited by egnite987 : 22nd Sep 2011 at 5:09 AM.
I'm sorry but how do I attach the file to a post? I will start a new town to see if that is the problem.

Thanks

EDIT: Just tried a new game, changed the option to turn snow on and it still reverts itself to off.
Site Helper
#12 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 2:22 PM
Ok, Now I -can help...

Zip, 7-zip, or rar the file, and put it where you can find it easily.

When you reply, click Go Advanced.

Scroll down

You will see "Manage attachments"

There is a button for Zip, Rar, or 7-zip upload

I'm assuming that you can figure out what to do from there. :D

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 2:33 PM
There you go! Hope it helps
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Graphics Rules.rar (5.8 KB, 103 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#14 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 12:24 AM
Well, there's your problem...

You're using a Graphics Rules file from an older EP and you need to use the one from Apartment Life. I'm not sure what it's from but it's certainly pre-Seasons since it doesn't have the snow settings.

I copied your resolution settings into my Graphics Rules and attached it. Try it and see if this fixes your problem.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Graphics Rules.rar (7.0 KB, 338 downloads) - View custom content

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Sep 2011 at 2:17 AM
Thank you so much Cyjon! It worked! Thank you very much, I was really confused as to why this was happening and now I know, and everything works perfectly now! Thank you!
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 6:33 PM
If anybody here is still alive on this particular post, I have a couple questions about where exactly to put the new "Graphics Rules.sgr" at, like...

- what would be the proper path name for it?
- Do I place it under a base game path or under the Sims 2 Seasons path?
- If I do place it under the base game path, there are two particular path names that contain "Graphics Rules.sgr", which of the following is the correct path name to place the substitution?

- C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Config\Graphics Rules.sgr
OR
- C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\CSConfig\Graphics Rules.sgr

For additional information, i will attach an image of the base game contents and the expansion packs that I have.

SPECS IF NEEDED:

Processor: AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.10 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.19 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 8610G
Screenshots
Alchemist
#17 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 7:22 PM
You put it under the path for the newest EP you have. So you'll put it in the Config AND the CSConfig folders in the Seasons folder.
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
You put it under the path for the newest EP you have. So you'll put it in the Config AND the CSConfig folders in the Seasons folder.

I've made an attempt on placing the substitute on both pathways of latest EP that I have like you suggested, and the problem still persists. Are SP's a possibility? Because I have a SP that is more up-to-date than all the other EPs and SPs I have.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#19 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 8:28 PM
Which SP? If it's M&G that's more like an EP anyway and you should use that. SPs don't generally affect the loading of the game but M&G does. Back in the day GL and FFS (I think) also altered the game engine but you have seasons according to your profile and that comes after both of those.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#20 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 8:46 PM
Where did you get your graphics rules sgr? Did you make your own or make sure it was compatible with your system? Or did you grab the one in this thread?

This link has a file that's meant for radeon cards.
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888
Test Subject
#21 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Which SP? If it's M&G that's more like an EP anyway and you should use that. SPs don't generally affect the loading of the game but M&G does. Back in the day GL and FFS (I think) also altered the game engine but you have seasons according to your profile and that comes after both of those.

No, the latest SP I have is "IKEA Home".
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Jul 2018 at 10:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Where did you get your graphics rules sgr? Did you make your own or make sure it was compatible with your system? Or did you grab the one in this thread?

This link has a file that's meant for radeon cards.
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888

I've grabbed the one off this thread because it seemed logically correct to take it, but perhaps it dunced on my PC by its specs. Also, is the first download link from the link above - "Graphic Rules - RADEON - Texture Fix" a good choice?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Evaktos
No, the latest SP I have is "IKEA Home".

Well, what exact combination of EPs/SPs do you have?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Test Subject
#24 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 7:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Well, what exact combination of EPs/SPs do you have?

Well, I'll give you my exact chronological list of EPs and SPs separately:

NOTE: All specially bundled packages will be marked with "*" at the beginning of the title - to have them stand out better, as they are not stand-alone discs.

Expansion Packs:
- * The Sims 2: Double Deluxe
- The Sims 2: University
- * The Sims 2: Best Of Business
- The Sims 2: Pets
- The Sims 2: Seasons

Stuff Packs:
- The Sims 2: Holiday Party Pack
- * The Sims 2: Celebration stuff (Came from 'The Sims 2: Double Deluxe' EP)
- * The Sims 2: H&M Fashion Stuff (Came from 'The Sims 2: Best of Business' EP)
- * The Sims 2 Kitchen and Bath Interior Design Stuff (Came from 'The Sims 2: Best of Business' EP)
- The Sims 2 Ikea Home Stuff
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 5th Jul 2018 at 1:14 PM
OK - I don't know much about the packs but someone should know which one is the latest and thus where the graphicrules file should go. Which disk do you have to put in the drive to play?

Page 1 of 2