Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:13 PM Last edited by Numenor : 13th Jul 2006 at 8:24 AM. Reason: Fixed broken in-text images
[University Only] Tutorial: How to change the starting screen.
Now YOU can create your own starting screen! Follow these steps and do exactly what i say! Enjoy.
Requirements:
1:SimPE
2:The Sims 2 UNIVERSITY ONLY ( I haven't found out for the original sims 2. so please you must have university)
3:A image editor (Not PAINT) that can edit targa or tga files. I used Paintshop Pro. (UPDATED - USE GIMP)

Here we go!

Step 1: First of all before we edit the screen you need a backup of the file. So go to My Computer/C : Program Files/Ea Games/The Sims 2 University/TSData/Res/UI. Right Click on the ui file and click copy. Then create a new folder on your desktop and rename it whatever you want. Then right click and click paste. Now that is your backup.

Step 2: Now open SimPe. Click on file, then open. Then go to My Computer/C : Program Files/Ea Games/The Sims 2 University/TSData/Res/UI and open that Ui file. It should show you all the files in the package. (Figure1- Figure 2)

Step 3: Now click on the instance column button at the top to put the numbers in order which makes it easier for you to find. (Figure 3- Figure 4)

Step 4: Ok. Now we go to the first image to edit. Look at the instance column and scroll down untill you find 0xCCC300080. Once you find it click on it and you will see the sims 2 university logo in the plugin view.(Figure 5)

Step 5: It is edit time! Now right click on that file in the packed file view (The thing with the columns in it) then hit extract. Save it in the folder that you created on your desk top! BuT WAIT. At the end of the name when you are saving it, put .tga. So that saves it as a targa image file.(Figure 6- Figure 7)

Step 6: Now go to your desktop and open your new folder. If you have paintshop pro just double click it to open it. Then edit the picture! Keep your image drawing inside the shape of the university logo because it will have the same shape as the university logo when it is in the game. Now just make it the way you want it to look! Now save it. (Note: If you don't have paintshop pro i suggest you download a free trial on the internet) (Figure 8- Figure 9)

Step 7: Ok the image you just edited is the logo for when you choose your neighborhood. So lets make this happen! Now go back to SimPE and right click on that file ( The one with the instance of 0xCCC300080 ) and hit replace. Now go to the folder you saved that image in. Now do NOT CLICK on the tga image. click on the xml file that came with it. Hit open. And that is done for that part of the screen. (If you do not know which one is the xml file right click on one of them and click properties. It will tell you the type of file) (Figure 10-Figure 12)

Step 8: You are halfway through. Now it is time to edit the bigger logo when the game is loading. Ok now you click on the instace column button again to put it back in order (If not already) Now scroll and look for the instance 0x8CBB9323. If you search for in with the instance filter it will not work. So DONT use the instance filter. (Figure 13)

Step 9: Once you found it do the same thing you did with the other image. Right click on the file and click extract. Do the same thing also put a .tga at the end of the file name. BUT make sure the name of the file is different then the other file you saved. (Figure 14- Figure 15)

Step 10: Once again go to your desktop and click on that new folder. Double click on the new image that was created. Edit that one, then save it.(Figure 16)

Step 11: Now go back to SimPE and right click on the file and hit replace. Now pick the xml file of the image that you just created. (Note: MAKE SURE YOU DON'T USE THE XML FILE OF THE FIRST ONE YOU CREATED) That should work! Now you are done. NOW click on file then save to save the package. (Figure 17 - Figure 19)

Step 12: Congradulations! You just made your own starting screen for the sims 2! If you need help just contact me at [email protected] or reply on this thread. If you would like post a picture of your new screen! I would love to see them! (Figure 20 - Figure 21-Used with GIMP program/makes it without university alpha)

I hope you enjoy. :D
------------------------------------------
NEW: i have not tried it yet but i believe it will work to change the background of the starting screen. In SimPE open My Computer/C : Program Files/Ea Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Ui and open the ui folder. Then extract the following instace numbers 0xCCC9AF70 and then 0xCCc9aF80 as .png files. Then edit them. After that replace them and you are done. It should work! (Basically do the same process for the rest of the tutorial, but png files instead) SEE PIC
------------------------------------------
NEW: Now you can have it without the University Alpha! Special Thanks to riggo4482 for helping out a lot. All you need is GIMP a image editor program that you can get off the internet and that lets you edit the alpha! Look at the new images! Sorry about the white next to the 2 in the pic. i did not edit that part(I forgot to ) Enjoy!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:18 PM
very cool! I'll try it out. thank you!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:27 PM
Hello, i left this out: TO GET YOUR ORIGINAL SCREEN BACK.

Step 1: Go to the new folder you created and right click on the ui (DBPF File) and click copy.

Step 2: Now go to My Computer/C : Program Files/Ea Games/The Sims 2 University/TSData/Res/UI. And hit ctrl and v at the same time to paste it. When it asks if you want to overwrite just hit yes. Enter at your own risk. Please.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:26 PM
Hi!!!
I'm learing how to do this, because it's awesome!!!!:jaw:I was wondering, if I wanted to.. could I make the starting screen lilac with butterflys on it?

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone
//\\ that has survived, died, or is living with cancer
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:32 PM
thnx... i can't use it now though, my computers broken sadly
Inventor
#6 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cchase05
thnx... i can't use it now though, my computers broken sadly

Then how did you get here?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:40 PM
thanks. At first I was a bit skeptical but you proved us wrong. It worked for me very well but I'm just leaving it as it is becasue we can't change the alpha.

Great tutorial. Thanks
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:45 PM
simfantastic2. I was looking at the screen of your desktop there and was wondering what the SIms 2 car shop was?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 4:55 PM
caz100, it is just something that i thought maxis should make for nightlife, so i just edited pictures so it would look like it. Look at the pictures bellow.

Angelgoddess79 offcourse you can have butterflies on it. You can do what ever you want!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 5:04 PM Last edited by simfantastic2 : 8th Jul 2005 at 5:24 PM.
Hi everyone! I know i just posted this thread but i just want to remind you to post the new images of your new logo! So i hope you enjoy! Have a great day and don't be shy to ask for help, i won't bite.
Sincerely,
Michael Seminerio
Want to see a great site? Go to nadascreations's website here:
http://www.freewebs.com/fexygurl/
It is a great site sofar!
Banned
#11 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 5:41 PM
0_o

You made those carshop images yourself? They look real.

Question- is there an alpha channel for this? I'd hade to have to have the outline of the word University and the book on the screen...
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 5:41 PM
Does the car shop work? I wanna test my screens and make a good 1 b4 i post a pic
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 5:48 PM Last edited by Riggo4482 : 8th Jul 2005 at 5:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Pokeylope
0_o

You made those carshop images yourself? They look real.

Question- is there an alpha channel for this? I'd hade to have to have the outline of the word University and the book on the screen...

Yes if you erase the book and university text it will not show up I just tried it. I used the gimp to edit it and erased the book and text and it works great. Now I wanna try the whole pic and edit it to show no sims 2 logo or anything and add my favorite NCAA team pic (for university ) I will let you all know how it goes.
Banned
#14 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 5:51 PM
But the outline of it is still there, isnt it?

Like, his picture shows a RECTANGLE of color for his screen, but in game it has the outline of the book.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 6:32 PM
riggo4482, the car shop is not real. i just made those images myself. Pokeylope it does exactly what you say. It has the university outline. I just don't have something to get rid of it.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 7:21 PM Last edited by Riggo4482 : 8th Jul 2005 at 7:26 PM.
I have no image in the background of the book at all. Just my name. If you erase it it will be gone. At least thats what I did with The Gimp program to edit it out. The Gimp is a free dl. not a trial.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 7:42 PM
Here are some test pics I did for my brother. I added the yellow for easy view.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 7:49 PM
Thankyou riggo4482. i am trying it right now
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 8:23 PM
No thank you for posting how to do this. I am gonna look fot the very first splash screen also. I wanna change that also. Oh BTW I have The Gimp 2.
Inventor
#20 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 8:38 PM
Would it be possible to change the entire screen, plus alphas? This is the image I want in the background

The image was not made by me, it was made by helaene.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 8:44 PM
yes it is, mod_bv, but the navigation to pick the neighborhood would be in the way, so you probably won't see the text.
Inventor
#22 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simfantastic2
yes it is, mod_bv, but the navigation to pick the neighborhood would be in the way, so you probably won't see the text.

But what about Nightlife: what would happen to the screen?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 9:01 PM
The screen would most likely go to the original one, but the logo will say The Sims 2 Nightlife instead. But once i get nightlife i will find the new images to edit for everyone so they can have there old screen back.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 9:15 PM
mod_bv, if you want i can take that image, and show you what it will look like in the game! So just post a reply if you want me too.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 9:19 PM
simfantastic2 I know you worked really hard on this so this is to help you out. I am about to post a thread telling people how to get the Sims 2 version so they don't need University. I am starting a new thread cause a lot of people don't read all the replies. All the credit is going to you for this wonderful discovery.
Page 1 of 3