Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 2:50 PM
Default Should Society Allow Men To Wear Makeup?
I personally think yes; it should be acceptable because makeup can be fun and you can express yourself and show off your best features. Even if it's nothing extreme, most girls usually wear some light foundation or mascara. I think guys should at least be allowed to wear coverup. What do you think?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 3:03 PM
But it's not illegal men wear make up. So, they can. I dont see any problem about that... Of course that if I see a man wearing some pink or red lipstick it will be kinda weird... Some days ago I saw a guy with his nails painted in red. It was chocking but he can do this if he wants!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 3:13 PM
Huh? How is this even a question in the west? Or are you not from the west?

Edit: to clarify - men in the west have been wearing make up for generations - literally hundreds of years. It's just that it's not particularly the norm now though plenty of men do wear make up of one sort or another.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 5:04 PM
Wearing everyday makeup isn't illegal for men, but perhaps not quite universally accepted because it has recently turned into a female thing. In my opinion boys should feel free to use it as long as it doesn't look overdone, something that goes for girls too. The worst I see is when people put on enough makeup to paint a house, particularly brown cream. That looks absolutely disgusting, especially when they somehow manage the panda-look.

Anyway, I'm a much bigger fan of natural-looking makeup than anything overdone. Personally I don't use any (I'm a girl, by the way). My face is much happier without makeup, soap and whatnots. I'd much rather keep my skin smooth and mostly zit-free, than smearing all kinds of chemicals in it and getting the zits back. Besides, makeup makes my skin itch, and I hate the taste of lipstick, so I'd rather not. I also prefer when potential boyfriends don't put on everyday makeup, but that's more personal preference than anything.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 6:17 PM Last edited by cord11 : 19th Apr 2015 at 9:45 PM.
i don't see a problem it's their life, it won't hurt anyone anymore then females wearing makeup, well other than people who overly believe gender forces people to live life a certain way, but who cares about offending them the world is different from the ideal 50s suburbia that they want it to be.

so i say if someone wants to wear makeup they can doesn't matter whether they were born a boy or girl

edit: and when filming for TV doesn't everyone wear some kind of makeup?
Banned
#7 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 8:04 PM
From tours of the BBC Humberside studio, our local newscaster, Peter Levy wears makeup on set to look better on television. It is blamed on the lighting they have there in the studio. Is that a valid excuse to say men can wear makeup? YES.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 8:34 PM
Makeup is almost always used in movie, TV and theatre, by girls and boys. They also tend to have their own makeup people if the concept is large enough. Anything from a bit of powder in the face to counter shine, to full-face (more or less) natural makeup, to thypical overdone theatre or movie makeup. They don't do much difference between women and men except for the style, because with TV cameras and lights, your face tend to look either bleak and grey or overly shiny without makeup. There's a reason why actors and newscasters and most other people you see on-screen look freshly styled and close to perfect. Have you ever seen pictures of actors (particularly female ones) without makeup? They don't look much fresh-faced then.

However, I think the OP is more leaning toward everyday makeup, outside of TV and other performance stages.

For everyday makeup I guess it's a bit in the same street as hairstyling products and stylish clothes. If the person gets used to it, the makeup becomes a habit, and they eventually start feeling a bit naked and exposed when they don't wear it. As for acceptance, some boys might be a bit afraid to be seen as very feminine if they use makeup, and perhaps that's where some of the problem lies.
Theorist
#9 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 9:45 PM
When your daily wear involves jeans with the crotch ripped out, combat boots, and twelve pounds of cheap pewter and silver jewelry stuck all over your body, you pretty much get to wear whatever the hell you want. It's pretty hard to pull off the "badass goth industrial dude" look without eyeliner, and we had every hair metal band in the world looking pretty much like you'd expect a post-apocalyptic crossdresser with no fashion sense to look like anyway.

/my twenties
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 12:24 AM
I know that most television shows have makeup put on everyone, but I've never seen guy wear extreme makeup (or a girl, except a few times) or even seen a guy wear coverup. I also know its not illegal, but a lot of people think its strange/associated with gay people (that is NOT a bad thing).
Theorist
#12 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by quesadildos
I know that most television shows have makeup put on everyone, but I've never seen guy wear extreme makeup

Boy, today's your lucky day then:

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
Boy, today's your lucky day then:

That's amazing, oh my god.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 1:26 AM
I'm not sure if I know any boys who wear everyday makeup, but I remember reading something about it becoming more common for boys to wear makeup. If so, perhaps the boys who do wear makeup are better at making it look natural than most girls.

Personally I think girls tend to use too much makeup. You don't have to look like a Christmas tree every time you go out among people, girls! Save the heavier makeup for dating or partying. Heavy makeup on boys tend to look even stranger, and if they put on too much they start to look like they're wearing plastic masks.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I'm not sure if I know any boys who wear everyday makeup, but I remember reading something about it becoming more common for boys to wear makeup. If so, perhaps the boys who do wear makeup are better at making it look natural than most girls.

Personally I think girls tend to use too much makeup. You don't have to look like a Christmas tree every time you go out among people, girls! Save the heavier makeup for dating or partying. Heavy makeup on boys tend to look even stranger, and if they put on too much they start to look like they're wearing plastic masks.

I do agree, but most girls I know either wear some nice eye makeup to express themselves, or none at all (this is the most common). Some wear a little bit of BB cream of mascara but thats it.
Theorist
#16 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Personally I think girls tend to use too much makeup.

Personally, I wish some women would wear more. A lot more.

A lot, lot more.

As for guys, I'm waiting for mullets to come back into style. My hairline is retreating so fast I bet I could rock a mullet soon, whether I was wearing lipstick or not.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Dec 2014 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
Personally, I wish some women would wear more. A lot more.

A lot, lot more.

As for guys, I'm waiting for mullets to come back into style. My hairline is retreating so fast I bet I could rock a mullet soon, whether I was wearing lipstick or not.

Honestly, that comment was slightly sexist. You don't need makeup to look pretty if that's what you're implying.
Theorist
#18 Old 3rd Dec 2014 at 3:48 AM
Honestly, that comment was slightly sexist. You don't need makeup to look pretty if that's what you're implying.

It's not about "pretty," it was a comment about people being the sort of ugly that makeup won't "fix." I mean, that is what some people wear makeup for, right? To cover up blemishes? You can't cover up being a shitty person. And then I made a mullet joke, because mullets are funny and I grew up in the 80s. Pop culture for $100, Alex.

I'm probably just getting into the swing of the holiday spirit early. Don't mind me. I'm going to hate every on the planet before New Years is over, one way or another.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 3rd Dec 2014 at 10:49 AM
"Should" society "allow"....? Yes, society should go get fucked. Seriously. This is about conforming. Should society tell people to conform? No! But it does. Fuck it - fuck society! I don't know why, but it makes me really happy to just say fuck it right now.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 3rd Dec 2014 at 2:29 PM
Honestly, I think that eye makeup looks good on everyone, and if someone,regardless of gender, wants to put on a full face of makeup from concealer to finishing powder, I say that they should feel free to do it. I don't wear makeup because it's a lot of effort for something that won't always be perfect, but I wouldn't stop someone from doing it.
Scholar
#21 Old 3rd Dec 2014 at 5:02 PM
Who gives a fuck about what society thinks, why don't people blow it out their ass? Some guys wear makeup to hide acne and black eyes.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Alchemist
#22 Old 3rd Dec 2014 at 9:54 PM
As a licensed cosmetologist, I would say that most people who wear it regularly, wear makeup to feel good about themselves, not to impress other people. Be it to express their inner self or convey a specific image, most people of all genders already do wear makeup. Society just has yet to catch up to the actual facts of the matter. Beauty doesn't know a 'right' and a 'wrong' way to be. As with most anything, you gain a better understanding of the interest if you become directly involved with the interest.

To anyone who would be worried about how people saw them if they did try something they see as gender-specific, here's a little secret: The way you carry yourself has more power over how other people see you than you can imagine. If you do it in a shameful manner, and try to hide it or openly act embarrassed, people will immediately pick up on that and tease you about it, either in an effort to get you to lighten up or toughen up. But if you strut your stuff with confidence and a 'So what?' attitude, people will love it and admire you.

PS, telling someone they "Don't need it" or "Should wear less" is a blatant disregard of their personal opinion. You may think you're being kind and supportive, but what that person is really hearing is "You should be happy with yourself because I say so". You're still fostering a situation where they feel pressured to present themselves in a way that pleases you. You are effectively telling them that wearing makeup, to some extent, is wrong, which is just as bad as telling someone that not wearing makeup is wrong.
As someone who suffers from chronic (Genetic) acne** in her mid 20's, I can tell you that no matter what anyone tells me, I know I look better with something covering up these disgusting red bumps, so telling me I look beautiful without makeup isn't just disregarding my personal opinion about my appearance, it's a lie. I feel like crap when I know that I look like crap. In fact, it tends to be something of a warning sign to see me without makeup on...either I'm deathly ill, or on the rim of a complete breakdown.
And some people know they just look "like crap" without makeup*, so they use it to obtain a more "normal" look.
Like I said...most people who wear makeup regularly, wear it to feel better about the way they see themselves. Of course nobody should feel pressured to wear makeup, but if they want to wear it, they should be equally encouraged to do what makes them happy.

*Dark circles, premature wrinkles, acne, eczema, rosacea, hyperpigmentation/hypopigmentation, whatever it may be, that shit gets comments like "Wow, you look like crap, did you sleep at all last night?"...which puts them in an awkward position, being as that's just their normal face. My personal favorite is when I encounter someone who usually sees me when I'm wearing makeup, and if I'm not wearing it, their reaction is "Are you upset/angry/depressed? Is something wrong/did something happen? You look like you've been crying." I also know a few people who get their makeup done regularly to cover up scars that they don't feel like explaining to the ever-curious world.

**And that's not even the half of it. Not only do I have acne that refuses to go away no matter how wonderful my diet/exercise/mood are, but it's also very sensitive and bruises easily, develops hives over minor irritations, and likes to randomly turn red sometimes for no apparent reason. Yes, I've seen a dermatologist and none of this is an indication of any serious illnesses, I'm just "blessed" with horrific skin. My natural skin tone is also incredibly pale, so without makeup to add some lifelike tones to my pallor, I tend to look like I stepped out of a 1920's film about leprosy.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#23 Old 12th Dec 2014 at 5:12 AM
yes they should allow it
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 13th Dec 2014 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by o0bubby
yes they should allow it

Not to burst your bubble, but in the debate room you need to tell us why your opinion is right, instead of just saying it.
Test Subject
#25 Old 14th Dec 2014 at 4:05 PM
Not to burst your bubble, but in the debate room you need to tell us why your opinion is right, instead of just saying it.

sorry i think they should allow it because everyone is free to be them selves and many men wear makeup for performance in the media and in shows and everyone deserves to express themselves and do what feels right

Page 1 of 4