Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 3:38 PM
Default Hair mesh linking(or replacing) in SimPe problem
I think my problem is very dumb, and simply can be solved, but it my first work, so i need a little help...I searched in different resources(including this forum) but couldn't find anything useful(or i just don't know what to find). P.S. sorry for gramatics, i'm not very good in English.
So....I create several 4t2 hair conversions, i created a mesh, but can't import it in game (i followed serenity-fall's, rented space and others conversion and meshing tutorials), I work with SimPE 0.73 and 0.68. Following the steps in tutorial:
1. i created a hair clone in bodyshop
2. extracted a hair clone mesh (delete every age except af 'couse my mesh only for af), renamed it
3. replaced GMDC on my mesh created in bodyshop, in preview window my new mesh showed up (i named it hair_alpha_0), commit and save - everything seemes fine for now. My polycounts faces-6247, vertices-6592. It's skysims 260 hair by the way. I used lower poly mesh (rented space tutorial) for this conversion, but i tried with original mesh and still got the same results.
4. assembling my mesh to recolor package.... And her'e come the main problem, i found 3d id for adults, linked it with my new mesh, added textures, and nothing happened. In better case i ended up with bold head(actualy there's no head just face), or the same mesh but with different textures, textures for teens, children, toddlers changed too, but still it's seemes to be the same mesh. The hair clone i used is maxis hair, i believe they called lowbun, their came first of non-addon Sims 2 hairs, but i tried with different models including custom hairs.
I don't know where i messed up, Milkshape part if fine (i think so), maybe it's linking stage or textures i added is wrong(i extracted it from same packege with original mesh whith the help of Sims4Studio) and i tried a different textures too, still bold head for adulst and recolored mesh for other ages(accept olders they have separated textures).
Also the same problem with other meshes i created(i created a lot of them).
And one more thing. When i linking mesh numbers in resource node and shape changing, but in property set in override1subset doesn't changing anithing( in serenity fall's tutorial this line should change on new mesh name - hair_alpha_0 in my case, but it's not happening).
If you don't know where the problem please just answer the EXACT steps you working with SimPe.
I want to become a sims 2 CC creator, and i believe you can help me with this problem, at least worth trying.
I will try to include some screenshots.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 3:50 PM
In step #2, did you do "Fix Integrity", then write your new name in the box, and click OK to change the name? (don't do it again if you already did). You need to do this to make the mesh standalone.

In Step #3, make sure the name you give your mesh and the name used in the recolor file is the same. Also make sure you fixed comments, assigned the hair to the head bone (the neck gap should be 50/50 head/neck) and all those things if you're using Milkshape. You'll also NOT want the "face" group. That'll probably cause some issues. You'll also want to extract the "afhairbald" mesh and use this as the "hair" group, or the scalp may have weird issues.

In step #4, the 3DIRs sometimes get mixed up, and the Property Set line in the 3DIR almost never shows the correct age.. You can check which 3DIR is the proper one by comparing the Material Definition Instance/Group numbers to the ones you find in the 3DIR. The ages should match. This is the only method I've found that works every time. It's possible you changed the YA hair instead of the adult hair.

If you can't figure it out, it would help if you uploaded the files (my problem-solving skills work better if I can look at all the possible problem areas of a file, and hairs have a lot of those). Feel free to PM me if you don't want to upload the files for everyone to see
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
In step #2, did you do "Fix Integrity", then write your new name in the box, and click OK to change the name? (don't do it again if you already did). You need to do this to make the mesh standalone.

In Step #3, make sure the name you give your mesh and the name used in the recolor file is the same. Also make sure you fixed comments, assigned the hair to the head bone (the neck gap should be 50/50 head/neck) and all those things if you're using Milkshape. You'll also NOT want the "face" group. That'll probably cause some issues. You'll also want to extract the "afhairbald" mesh and use this as the "hair" group, or the scalp may have weird issues.

In step #4, the 3DIRs sometimes get mixed up, and the Property Set line in the 3DIR almost never shows the correct age.. You can check which 3DIR is the proper one by comparing the Material Definition Instance/Group numbers to the ones you find in the 3DIR. The ages should match. This is the only method I've found that works every time. It's possible you changed the YA hair instead of the adult hair.

If you can't figure it out, it would help if you uploaded the files (my problem-solving skills work better if I can look at all the possible problem areas of a file, and hairs have a lot of those). Feel free to PM me if you don't want to upload the files for everyone to see

Hi, thank you for helping me. Here is my files in archive.
I upload some screenshots, i deleted face and hair groups from mesh(actualy i did new in milkshape, i just accidantly delete original mesh, this one is higher polycount), re-linked it to recolor packege, still bold head, only adults, teens and other has textures on their original meshes.
And i wanna know more about step 3, couse my hair assigned only to head, and what means mesh name should be the same in recolor packege? where i can check this.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  1.rar (1.68 MB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Here is my files incl. milkshape mesh, replaced mesh, original hair clone. I added descriptions to files, they are not part of original names.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 8:27 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Oct 2018 at 9:06 PM.
The hair you've used as a base has different subset/group names than the mesh you've used as a base, and all of them have more subsets/groups. This needs fixing. You can see the original subset names in the PropertySet for AF.

For most TS3/TS4 conversions, you need a "hair" group with only the scalp, so you don't get big gaps in the neck area or if any skin shows through in the various parts. There's one already linked in the PropertySet, but you'll need to add a texture (invisible/empty texture in 512x512. Like I said above, you need to add this group int he mesh, too. In the comments it should be named "hair" and have "Opacity: -1"
- You can fix this for the recolor by making a new recolor and coloring the "hair" alpha and texture to fully black. This is the easiest way.
The harder way (no need to make a new file) is here:
- Clone the "##0x7f54d178!0xea69c57a_txtr" resource (right-click, "clone")
- Click on the new line that pops up in italic writing .
- replace the texture (with DXT3 or 5, make sure you have the DDS plugins)
- change the name of the new one to "##0x7f54d178!0xea69c57b_txtr"
- Commit.
- click "Fix TGI"
- Go to the "##0x7f54d178!afhair_Casual1~hair_txmt" resource
- Change the "stdMatBaseTextureName" to match the new texture, "##0x7f54d178!0xea69c57b"
- commit, save.

So basically, you always need at least two groups for TS3/TS4 hair conversions (one for the hair alpha and one for the bald head), and all the group/subset names have to match between the PropertySet and the mesh, and they have to be in the correct order. It's much easier to fix the mesh to match the PropertySet.

(The pic from Milkshape shows how I usually set up 3t2/4t2 hair meshes, though I'll usually change the "hairalpha" name to match whatever is in the original mesh, so I don't have to do too much name fixing later. I usually set the Numskinwgth to 3 so it picks up all bone assignments. Opacity is usually set in a "one up" way with odd numbers, the lowest number "-1" for the scalp, then in order upward from the innermost layer to the outer layer, sometimes starting with 0, but usually directly to 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. No idea why it's just odd numbers, but that's what's mostly used. TheOpacity setting along with the layering of the mesh decide how the alpha layers show up. If set up in the wrong order, you'll get strange bleed-through problems with the mesh ingame).
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 4:36 PM
The hair you've used as a base has different subset/group names than the mesh you've used as a base, and all of them have more subsets/groups. This needs fixing. You can see the original subset names in the PropertySet for AF.

For most TS3/TS4 conversions, you need a "hair" group with only the scalp, so you don't get big gaps in the neck area or if any skin shows through in the various parts. There's one already linked in the PropertySet, but you'll need to add a texture (invisible/empty texture in 512x512. Like I said above, you need to add this group int he mesh, too. In the comments it should be named "hair" and have "Opacity: -1"
- You can fix this for the recolor by making a new recolor and coloring the "hair" alpha and texture to fully black. This is the easiest way.
The harder way (no need to make a new file) is here:
- Clone the "##0x7f54d178!0xea69c57a_txtr" resource (right-click, "clone")
- Click on the new line that pops up in italic writing .
- replace the texture (with DXT3 or 5, make sure you have the DDS plugins)
- change the name of the new one to "##0x7f54d178!0xea69c57b_txtr"
- Commit.
- click "Fix TGI"
- Go to the "##0x7f54d178!afhair_Casual1~hair_txmt" resource
- Change the "stdMatBaseTextureName" to match the new texture, "##0x7f54d178!0xea69c57b"
- commit, save.

So basically, you always need at least two groups for TS3/TS4 hair conversions (one for the hair alpha and one for the bald head), and all the group/subset names have to match between the PropertySet and the mesh, and they have to be in the correct order. It's much easier to fix the mesh to match the PropertySet.

(The pic from Milkshape shows how I usually set up 3t2/4t2 hair meshes, though I'll usually change the "hairalpha" name to match whatever is in the original mesh, so I don't have to do too much name fixing later. I usually set the Numskinwgth to 3 so it picks up all bone assignments. Opacity is usually set in a "one up" way with odd numbers, the lowest number "-1" for the scalp, then in order upward from the innermost layer to the outer layer, sometimes starting with 0, but usually directly to 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. No idea why it's just odd numbers, but that's what's mostly used. TheOpacity setting along with the layering of the mesh decide how the alpha layers show up. If set up in the wrong order, you'll get strange bleed-through problems with the mesh ingame).

Hello again, i really appreciate your help. some of my mistakes are now obvious to me, and i tried to fix it but....Well, i ended with a mess. I decided to clone a new hair,it's called longsimplehair, it contains 3 groups - hair_alpha7, hair_alpha5 and hair. As I understand, i need to rename my hairmesh on one of those groups. I renamed mesh, added hair group, adeed new comments as one one screenshots, exported new mesh.
Then all the steps, linking 35id(matching by material defenition instance, the 3did i linked earlier was correct). I linked recolor packege as i did earlier(simply build dxt and replace original texture), and then tried the "hard" method. In game - still bald head and it seems that my mesh replacing original mesh, despite i renamed new once. Can you explain, what should i do:
1. rename my mesh, or rename groups on SHPE
2. what should i do with third group in mesh - delete/leave/replace or else
3. you mensioned that groups should be in correct order, can you explain it more detailed
4. should i do something in propertyset instance, after replacing mesh
5. in "hard" way(fixing textures) you replacing lines in "##0x7f54d178!afhair_Casual1~hair_txmt" resource, but there are three more different, in y new mesh their for every groups wich are spicified in SHPE, if my mesh named as hair_alpha7 group, should i change lines there?
6. can you advise me some good hair to clone, doesn't matter if it custom or maxis, i have a lot of them.
I can upload my new files, just in case you wanna look on them, and add some sceenshots.
And i use texture from original sims4 packege, it showed up on screenshots from milkshape, the way i replacing textures is the one from cassis's 3t2 tutorial, and serenity fall's tutorial, but those for sims 3. Any difference with sims 4 textures? I uploded one i use erlier.
i should recolor this one, or the one from clone packege, or both. I really bad with textures. Maybe it's just textures? But for other ages they showing up, just incorrect, and adults have only bold head. This clone packege have 4 txt images scalp grey hair, black hair(color i use), side view texture, and grey hair. Wich one should i use, i don't get niether.
And also i had a small error message in simpe, but i don't think it influenced my work.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  2.rar (2.13 MB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Description: new files
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 6:12 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th Oct 2018 at 6:26 PM.
The "hair" layer need to be on top in Milkshape, because the layering goes from top (inner) to bottom (outer). Easily fixed by marking the "hair" layer and clicking "up" in the Groups tab in Milkshape.

Another thing I forgot to say - always delete the cache files when you go back to Bodyshop after editing in SimPE (Accessory.cache, Groups.cache, Contentregistry and Cigen.package). Keeping them in can cause CAS Info to lag behind on edited files.

The CRES error tends to happen if something goes bad with the mesh. Not sure if there's a good fix besides making a new mesh file. Basically it means that SimPE can't find the skeleton in the file.
* This sometimes happen if you start working on the mesh immediately after doing "fix integrity". I always extract the mesh, do "fix integrity", save the mesh, do "file--> new", then reopen the mesh. I don't think I've had the CRES error happen with this method.

I think the CRES issue is why your mesh isn't showing up. If you remake the mesh file and then link it to the recolor, I'm sure things will work better.

If the hair still doesn't want to show, make sure you have shaders on. Some 4t2 hairs won't show without shaders, and instead show up invisible. If there are fish in the aquariums and ponds, you've got shaders on. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._Enable_Shaders

The large texture may also be an issue. Personally I prefer to remap 4t2 hairs (anything TS4 CAS-related, really), because they take up a small space on a very large map. The texture for yours is 1024x2048, and this size may be one reason why 4t2 hairs need shaders (I'm not sure, but it's one possible reason).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 7:22 PM
The "hair" layer need to be on top in Milkshape, because the layering goes from top (inner) to bottom (outer). Easily fixed by marking the "hair" layer and clicking "up" in the Groups tab in Milkshape.

Another thing I forgot to say - always delete the cache files when you go back to Bodyshop after editing in SimPE (Accessory.cache, Groups.cache, Contentregistry and Cigen.package). Keeping them in can cause CAS Info to lag behind on edited files.

The CRES error tends to happen if something goes bad with the mesh. Not sure if there's a good fix besides making a new mesh file. Basically it means that SimPE can't find the skeleton in the file.
* This sometimes happen if you start working on the mesh immediately after doing "fix integrity". I always extract the mesh, do "fix integrity", save the mesh, do "file--> new", then reopen the mesh. I don't think I've had the CRES error happen with this method.

I think the CRES issue is why your mesh isn't showing up. If you remake the mesh file and then link it to the recolor, I'm sure things will work better.

If the hair still doesn't want to show, make sure you have shaders on. Some 4t2 hairs won't show without shaders, and instead show up invisible. If there are fish in the aquariums and ponds, you've got shaders on. http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._Enable_Shaders

The large texture may also be an issue. Personally I prefer to remap 4t2 hairs (anything TS4 CAS-related, really), because they take up a small space on a very large map. The texture for yours is 1024x2048, and this size may be one reason why 4t2 hairs need shaders (I'm not sure, but it's one possible reason).

Well, it took time for me to try any possibility, and still hair doesn't appear in game. CRES mistake appeared cause i added hair group after assigning process, remaking the mesh solved it, it never appeared again. Shaders is on, and i don't think texture is problem, cause it appear on teenagers. Well what i trying to say that the problem seems to be with mesh, and i don't have the idea where i messed up. I tried to use custom hairs for base - same result. Also i extracted lower poly mesh.
Maybe problem in milkshape,i use 1.8/5 vers? i also use blender to extract sims4 meshes.
Experiments with opacity didn't get me anywhere niether, with -1, 3, 0, 7, 5, 9. anything changes.
So, any ideas? I also tried different hair mesh (Anto Sunrise), no cres mistakes, groups names correct, ingame - nothing. Maybe it's comments, i saw in some custom hair meshes opacity in hair group and mesh group the same.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 10:37 PM
Cn you upload your new files?

Several people have had issues with 4t2 hairs not showing up, and usually it's because of shaders not being turned on. However, it does rmake no sense that this is a problem since the hairs are just a regular mesh.

Sometimes it actually helps to make a new recolor of the file in Bodyshop. In some cases this (for some bizarre reason) actually fixes the hair. In other cases you'll get an error, and then you'll know something isn't right in the file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 11:58 PM
Cn you upload your new files?

Several people have had issues with 4t2 hairs not showing up, and usually it's because of shaders not being turned on. However, it does rmake no sense that this is a problem since the hairs are just a regular mesh.

Sometimes it actually helps to make a new recolor of the file in Bodyshop. In some cases this (for some bizarre reason) actually fixes the hair. In other cases you'll get an error, and then you'll know something isn't right in the file.

Ok, this time i desided to use custom mesh as a base, it's Martini's Ade Daisy. I practiced on costom mesh itself and extracted from recolor packege, nothing changed. Also i didn't build any textures to this one, as i understand if mesh uppears ingame it will be coverd with base textures, anyway i tried with different textures so it doesnt helped. And another thing, i repeated all steps on my my PC(i used my laptop before), incl creating a whole new mesh - same thing.
"Making new recolor" - it's mean clone hair in bodyshop? Well, didn't help. Maybe mesh itself is not the problem, maybe i just have claws instead of hands, and use SimPE tools inaproriate. Didn't upload any screenshots cause nothing really changed.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  skysims2602.rar (1.69 MB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Description: files
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 2:33 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Nov 2018 at 2:54 AM.
Except for the textures, I can't find a single thing wrong with the files (I even added the textures and checked again - still nothing). I've checked the UVmappping (sometimes an issue if exported as OBJ - the UVmap "jumps" down) but everyhting checks out, and it's linked properly, and I've even tested it in my version of Bodyshop (I've got shaders turned on), but it shows up invisible, scalp and all. This is really strange.

There is a weird issue with the skeleton in your Milkshape, though (the joints kinda look exploded but have hte right size in the Preferences). I think there may be two skeletons in that file. I'll check to see if it helps to reimport the mesh into a clean file. Double skeletons can cause all sorts of problems.

And turns out, the extra skeleton was the culprit. The hair now shows up
Depending on which version of the Milkshape plugins you use, ALWAYS click "no" to the "do you want to import another skeleton?" question. The newer version fixed this issue, so the question doesn't pop up if it recognizes a skeleton it can use.

I took the liberty of linking YA and elder to the mesh, and used the texture from your last try on the YA/A files (elder still has the wrong texture), though you may want to remap the hair so you don't need the large textures (it's not too difficult if done in Blender, but I'm terrible at explaining UVmapping...). If you need help with that, I can try to guide you through it, but honestly it's much easier to UVmap the mesh before exporting from Blender. The UVmapper in Milkshape is awful at best. You can export as OBJ, import to Blender, do the UVmapping, export as OBJ, and import back into MIlkshape.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  skysims2602-FIX.rar (1.55 MB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 1:35 PM Last edited by Emilie_Autumn : 3rd Nov 2018 at 3:08 PM.
Except for the textures, I can't find a single thing wrong with the files (I even added the textures and checked again - still nothing). I've checked the UVmappping (sometimes an issue if exported as OBJ - the UVmap "jumps" down) but everyhting checks out, and it's linked properly, and I've even tested it in my version of Bodyshop (I've got shaders turned on), but it shows up invisible, scalp and all. This is really strange.

There is a weird issue with the skeleton in your Milkshape, though (the joints kinda look exploded but have hte right size in the Preferences). I think there may be two skeletons in that file. I'll check to see if it helps to reimport the mesh into a clean file. Double skeletons can cause all sorts of problems.

And turns out, the extra skeleton was the culprit. The hair now shows up
Depending on which version of the Milkshape plugins you use, ALWAYS click "no" to the "do you want to import another skeleton?" question. The newer version fixed this issue, so the question doesn't pop up if it recognizes a skeleton it can use.

I took the liberty of linking YA and elder to the mesh, and used the texture from your last try on the YA/A files (elder still has the wrong texture), though you may want to remap the hair so you don't need the large textures (it's not too difficult if done in Blender, but I'm terrible at explaining UVmapping...). If you need help with that, I can try to guide you through it, but honestly it's much easier to UVmap the mesh before exporting from Blender. The UVmapper in Milkshape is awful at best. You can export as OBJ, import to Blender, do the UVmapping, export as OBJ, and import back into MIlkshape.

Wow!!!! Thank you, you've done amazing job! I Guess extra skeleton is "additional bone definitions", this message pop's up when i import unimeshes, but if i don't import them i can't assign bones, i can't find this extra skeleton in my other meshes.
i guess it's adding automaticly, cause i never saw messeges about it before . About remaping, when you firstly mentioned it i tried to remap hair usin pookle't textures with help of milkshape texture coordinate editor, well it was not really succesful, i decided to leave it for better times. I ddn't knew that it could be done with the help of blender. If you can give me some instructions to try, cause this huge textures can really slow my BodyShop. And they not very good loking either.

Can't delete this extra skeleton on my other meshes, maybe i should try on older milkshape versions?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 3:34 PM
You don't see the extra skeleton, but you see an extra set of joints in the Joints list. If there's an "auskel" bone both at the start and in the middle of the list, the mesh isn't going to work.

Proper way of doing it is
EITHER
* open a new empty file in Milkshape, then import in the SimPE file, and then the OBJ. DON'T import the OBJ first. That leads to all sorts of problems. You always have to import the mesh with the skeleton first.
OR
* import a SimPE file with a skeleton and then import yours, but say "no" to the "extra skeleton" question.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 3:52 PM
You don't see the extra skeleton, but you see an extra set of joints in the Joints list. If there's an "auskel" bone both at the start and in the middle of the list, the mesh isn't going to work.

Proper way of doing it is
EITHER
* open a new empty file in Milkshape, then import in the SimPE file, and then the OBJ. DON'T import the OBJ first. That leads to all sorts of problems. You always have to import the mesh with the skeleton first.
OR
* import a SimPE file with a skeleton and then import yours, but say "no" to the "extra skeleton" question.

I GOT THIS!!!!! The problem was in Milkshape pluguins, i just downloaded new from here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=122399, everything work now.
I can swear, i did this before but it seems i didn't make a replacement. So....
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 4:15 PM
Remapping:

* Import the OBJ to Blender
* mark the mesh (clicking the triangle in the mesh so it lits up in orange)
* Open a new window to the left (striped triangle, drag this to the right - marked with a green arow on one of the pictures)
* Choose "Image/UV editor" for the new window (picture next to "view" down to the left).
* Mark the UVs (so they lit up in orange).
* Click "UVs --> Export UV layout"

(Photoshop/GIMP)
* Open up your image editor (Gimp? Photoshop?)
* Make a TIFF file with the hair at the bottom and the UVs at the top
* (I'm using Photoshop, there's possibly a similar function in Gimp?) Click "Image --> Canvas size", choose "pixels", then write 512 and 512, and click the top left corner (see picture).
* Also save a 512x512 PNG of the hair without the UVs.

* Go back to Blender
* In the UV editor, click "Image --> Open Image --> choose the Tif file with the UV.
* Make sure the UVs are selected (lit up in orange)
* Click S, then Y (don't move the mouse), hold in Ctrl, and scale up to 4.0 (you can see the number below the image, marked in red on the image provided)
* Click S, then X, (don't move the mouse), hold in Ctrl, and scale up to 2.0
* Click G, move the UVs to overlay the black UVs on the picture. Save the file with a new name (so you can go back and edit if need be).
* Click "File --> Export --> OBJ, and make sure to match the settings with the one in the picture below (or you'll get problems).
* Close Blender

(Milkshape)
* Open Milkshape
* Temporarily give the "hair_alpha5" group (or whichever mesh group you're importing) a new name, adding an X or something is enough - if you don't do this the new OBJ may add to the orignal group, which doubles the poly count.
* Import the new OBJ, make sure it comes up as a new group.
* Set the vertices to the hair joint, 100%.
* Copy the comments from the old group, paste them to the new group.
* Export as SimPE file, then reimport into SimPE.

I did the steps while writing up this, so I added the files + images I've referred to in the file below - but it's nice to know the steps for your next project, or perhaps you want to go through and try it out.

Maybe you also want to make teen/child/toddler versions of the hair. It's basically the same way you make and link an adult mesh, but with a little resizing and reshaping.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  skysims2602-REMAPPED+images.rar (3.53 MB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 4:31 PM
Remapping:

* Import the OBJ to Blender
* mark the mesh (clicking the triangle in the mesh so it lits up in orange)
* Open a new window to the left (striped triangle, drag this to the right - marked with a green arow on one of the pictures)
* Choose "Image/UV editor" for the new window (picture next to "view" down to the left).
* Mark the UVs (so they lit up in orange).
* Click "UVs --> Export UV layout"

(Photoshop/GIMP)
* Open up your image editor (Gimp? Photoshop?)
* Make a TIFF file with the hair at the bottom and the UVs at the top
* (I'm using Photoshop, there's possibly a similar function in Gimp?) Click "Image --> Canvas size", choose "pixels", then write 512 and 512, and click the top left corner (see picture).
* Also save a 512x512 PNG of the hair without the UVs.

* Go back to Blender
* In the UV editor, click "Image --> Open Image --> choose the Tif file with the UV.
* Make sure the UVs are selected (lit up in orange)
* Click S, then Y (don't move the mouse), hold in Ctrl, and scale up to 4.0 (you can see the number below the image, marked in red on the image provided)
* Click S, then X, (don't move the mouse), hold in Ctrl, and scale up to 2.0
* Click G, move the UVs to overlay the black UVs on the picture. Save the file with a new name (so you can go back and edit if need be).
* Click "File --> Export --> OBJ, and make sure to match the settings with the one in the picture below (or you'll get problems).
* Close Blender

(Milkshape)
* Open Milkshape
* Temporarily give the "hair_alpha5" group (or whichever mesh group you're importing) a new name, adding an X or something is enough - if you don't do this the new OBJ may add to the orignal group, which doubles the poly count.
* Import the new OBJ, make sure it comes up as a new group.
* Set the vertices to the hair joint, 100%.
* Copy the comments from the old group, paste them to the new group.
* Export as SimPE file, then reimport into SimPE.

I did the steps while writing up this, so I added the files + images I've referred to in the file below - but it's nice to know the steps for your next project, or perhaps you want to go through and try it out.

Maybe you also want to make teen/child/toddler versions of the hair. It's basically the same way you make and link an adult mesh, but with a little resizing and reshaping.

Thank you so much for your help! I difenetly will try remapping myself on my new meshes wich i already created and succesfully added in game.