Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 11:37 AM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 18th Aug 2009 at 11:58 AM.
No, Audrey. Someone reuploading a pay hair so you can get it for free does not make it a free hair. A significant conversion of a previously pay hair would be a different matter (which is why that is spelled out in the new guidelines) but the idea here is to promote free content, not the PMBD booty.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 8:11 PM
Two quick questions here -

1) Is the Montalcino Fandango (the collector's edition car) allowed in lots?

2) Would it maybe be beneficial for someone to post (or start to post) a collection of pastable links of, say, Store content? So that people could work off that in lots that have store items, instead of having to do it bit by bit for each submission?

Let me give an example - let's say I made a thread somewhere with lots of these:

Headhunter Battle Mask

Because paste that into your lot submission, and it gives you a clickable link to the item.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 4:21 PM
Kribensis - I'd say the CE car is okay - just make sure to state that it requires it. It's a small thing, so it being replaced with a non-CE car wouldn't be a real big deal.

I guess a list of links -could- be useful. IMO, it'd be easiest for me if I was gonna do it to just go and look at the Store stuff because I'd need a pic to jog my memory anyway - having a list of links like that just saves typing the url and name. If other people think it would be helpful, they're welcome to chime in here, since I don't do much in the way of lot uploads.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Forum Resident
#29 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 3:48 AM
I do have another question if you don't mind.

Is TSR the only exception? I mean if I get a rose or peggy free hair can I use it on my sim or not?
Scholar
#30 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lanawinst
I do have another question if you don't mind.

Is TSR the only exception? I mean if I get a rose or peggy free hair can I use it on my sim or not?
So far as I know, I've always been able to use free peggy and rose hairs in my screen shots and so have other people. TSR is an exception because they sometimes yank the free items from free rotation and make them pay. Rose and Peggy do not do that--once free, always free.

EDIT: I just realized some exceptions: Sometimes on special occasions Rose or Peggy will offer one of their pay meshes as a limited time free gift for a specified number of days. I think that still means the mesh is considered pay and on the forbidden list, because the downloader is likely to find it a pay item once again by the time they see your upload.

And I just had to add...DABOOBS...what a name. It makes every post that has to refer to that tool absolutely hilarious to the point of bringing tears to my eyes. Delphy is crazy, in a good way of course.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 10:08 AM
Free Peggy and Rose hairs - that will always be free (not this "free for 15 days" stuff or whatever it is Rose is doing now) - are fine. With TSR, people can become FAs at any time and their once-free content can suddenly be pay. That's why all TSR content is considered pay.

Scholar
#32 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 10:13 AM
Wait, wait wait!!

Does this mean we can use conversion hairs? I'm still a little iffy on the new differences.

Here's an example.
http://www.simscave.com/index.php?topic=10353.0

Please let us use conversion hairs!! PLEASE..PLEASE...PLEASE!!!

When we can link to the booty and PSBD I don't see why we can't use those in our uploads. As long as we give appropriate credit.

Edit: Hp sorta esplained...

Edit2: Not mention that the items pictured aren't available in the actual upload. Why can't we use linkable content. (=booty)

Why let us link to booty but not use it in pics?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 7:34 PM
You can use conversion hairs -if- the conversion is free, regardless of whether or not the original was free, pay, or from the moon. You can link to the Booty here, but there's no reason to do so in your uploads, since you cannot use -pay- content in downloads.

The idea is to promote free content, not pay content that someone put up for free. Conversions are basically considered separate items since they do not require the original (or any links back to the original) and are a significant edit, and thus are allowed (as long as they're free to download from the converter).

Theorist
#34 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 8:49 PM
The hair thing is a HUGE can of worms which I've thought for a while now is a very tricky one to figure out. I don't envy one bit those trying to make the decision of what to do about them. Every pay hair that Rose and Peggy currently have available are being sold against the licensing agreement of the tool used to create them, and as such shouldn't be up for sale to begin with, and should be freely distributable. It's a quandary that just totally breaks my brain. I just avoid the issue all together by refusing to use anything they make. Sure, there isn't a lot of CC out yet but that just makes it all the sweeter when stuff is released that I will use. The thing is, MTS wants to promote free content. If we use even free stuff from sites like Rose's and Peggy's we are giving those sites free advertisement to sell the stuff they have no right to sell in the first place. Why would any of us want to be enabling them to sell more stuff they broke someone's licensing agreement to make? And if a person downloads it from the booty and uses it in screenshots, it's still free advertisement for them. Honest to Pete, if I'm going to do advertising for someone who is obviously going to end up making money from what I advertise I want a cut in their profits.

My personal opinion about the whole hair issue is that if a person uploads a Sim, why on earth can't they use an in-game or EA store hair on that Sim (of course I don't have and probably never will have any store hair because I can't afford to spend money on EA's store and I'm not committing theft to download it free somewhere)? Sure, the game hair looks like it came from a used wig outlet, but if I'm going to download someone's Sim I'm paying a whole lot more attention to what the Sim looks like than the hair they are wearing. In fact, custom content on Sims often completely distracts attention from the Sim and has turned me off from downloading a Sim on more than one occasion.

Oh, and before I forget again, HP, thank you!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 9:52 AM
Well, I believe when we first did the whole policies thing, the "free content on pay sites" was discussed and it was decided that would be okay for several reasons. Partially since it is free content and people can get it without paying, but also as an encouragement to those pay creators to join the free community. We wanted to leave the door open, so to speak, so if there were those on the fence about being pay (as some have been in the past), that they wouldn't feel ostracized simply for having been pay. If they came onto big sites like MTS and saw their stuff still being used - but only the free stuff - then perhaps they would be encouraged to do more free content, or even not do pay content at all. I doubt Peggy and Rose are on the fence at all, unfortunately (since they're completely ignoring the licenses included in the software they're using, for one), but we try to make policy that encompasses everyone whenever possible.

As for "why not just use in-game/store hair?" Well, that actually was one option we considered for policies. In a lot of cases with celeb/character sims, you really need an appropriate hair to do a good likeness - a person who always wears a certain hairstyle will look rather weird as a sim wearing a completely different one, and many times things like hairline height/shape can change the overall look quite dramatically. That's the reason that I did custom hairstyles for several of my TS2 celebrity sims - they looked wrong with what was out there already, and much better once I gave them their own hairstyle. It would certainly make our jobs as moderators easier if everyone only ever made their own styles or just used ones from the game though.

Field Researcher
#36 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 12:26 PM
This might sound like a stupid question, and I might be wasting your time, and if I am, I am sorry, but can we still include the official sims 3 store items in our uploads, or do we have to remove them?

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 12:32 PM
tomvanroosmalen - You may package lots/sims using them, but they won't be included in the actual .sims3pack file. You will need to link back to the particular item(s) on the Store in the text of your post so people can download them separately.

Lab Assistant
#38 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 1:59 AM
Two questions:
1. – If I use patterns created by me that have not been upload nowhere, is allowed or not?
2. Can I upload unfurnished houses? This way I don’t have the risk to be rejected my lot and I don’t break your rules
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 10:20 AM
Hi pilar.

1) Yes, you can use patterns by you made specifically for use in your house. You do need to state in the text of your post that you have included some patterns that you made for it, and I think it would be a good idea to show the patterns separately (do a couple screenshots according to the pattern upload guidelines) and make sure to mention how many recolourable channels they are and where they show up in-game. Sort of add on the regular pattern type upload to a house. You do need to put the .package files for your patterns in your zip or rar file separate from the .sims3pack as it will not package with the house automatically.

2) Sims 3 houses need to be furnished, since they can be purchased furnished or unfurnished, or used in story progression for other sims in the neighborhood. Sims 2 houses, you can upload either way, as long as they're not apartments (which do need to be furnished).

Forum Resident
#40 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 5:32 PM
What about the WCIF threads? What if I post a screenshot of pay CC(not knowing it's pay) asking where I could find it?
Theorist
#41 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 6:24 PM
From the last paragraph of the policy:
Quote:
For all items originally uploaded directly to MTS, we require stated permission from the original creator ("I have permission from SallySimmer to convert her hair..."), and that you provide a link and credit (Original by SallySimmer at http://www.sallysimmerssite.com), regardless of whether the item you edited or converted was pay or free. You can't just post whatever you want here without asking the creator.
What this seems to say to me is that I would need express and specific permission from each creator to use their creations. But if a creator has a published enabling policy - either in the upload thread or in something such as the MTS Profile "Creator Policy" section - would I really need to get specific permission from them also?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 10:15 PM
chyrun - That's fine. This only applies to uploads here - while we encourage the use of free content, you are welcome to use it and ask about it and display it elsewhere on the site if you choose.

Sophie-David - If you post a conversion or something using someone else's meshes/textures, then you need either their permission, or to link to their policies that state such usage is okay. Permissive policies would equal permission.

Forum Resident
#43 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 12:12 PM
Okay. Thank you.
Theorist
#44 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 3:11 PM
Thank you for the clarification, HP.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 7:43 AM
So... Sims we download will actually look like what they do in the pictures?

WHAT TRAVESTY IS THIS!?

By which I mean, THANK YOU! This is bloody awesome. :D
Instructor
#46 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 4:21 PM
What about instances in which the creator of a mesh has given permission to me or to others to include the mesh with recolors but the mesh is currently or formerly a pay item at TSR?
Test Subject
#47 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 8:18 PM
this site is free and the downloads too or

i come aus germany
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#48 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 8:41 PM
hedgekat, if you have permission to upload the mesh from the original creator, then you may include it.

deutz, I'm not sure what you're saying - if you're asking whether the downloads here are free; then yes, absolutely. MTS is, always has been, and always will be free.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#49 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 7:00 AM
okay this is good
Instructor
#50 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 1:30 PM
Excellent, promoting freely shared items should be high on everyones agendas here. Its what MTS is all about

Well that's what happens when you're on your own and you're alright at letting nice things go
Page 2 of 2