Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 6:21 AM
That was the original only way for folks to find the files. I did not suggest it in the tutorial because people will move on to editing meshes from expansions, and after a while they no longer remember which mesh is from which expansion, and each expansion has their new meshes in a new folder. This method will find it no matter where it is.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 3:44 PM
allthough this tutorial is very helpful, it doesnt supplie me with any imformation on how to stretch, im stuck due to the fact that when i for eg... i try to stretch the chest using "tools / stretch/squish" in milkshape, the moment the chest moves the texture in the 4th window ( 3d view) turns black, so i go to the UV map tutorial, and try to adjust the UV map, but it makes no difference, so i save anyway's and go threw the process of SimPE and sims 2 mesh tool, and when i open my new mesh in body shop, the mesh is black and covered with black wavey lines, this is my 17th attemped at going threw the tutorials, and i am following all of them to the letter, ,,,,,,, is there a tutorial for actually changing the mesh eg stretching it, i am new at this so if you recognise this issue could you please inform me on how to rectify it, thanx
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 1:16 AM
This tutorial doesn't tell you to 'stretch/squish' (is that really a milkshape command) anything. I believe you found your answers for *how to use milkshape* in the other mini-tutorial on site. There is so much involved in editing meshes, we cannot cover every last thing someone wants to do in a single tutorial.
Test Subject
#29 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 1:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fananydanny
allthough this tutorial is very helpful, it doesnt supplie me with any imformation on how to stretch, im stuck due to the fact that when i for eg... i try to stretch the chest using "tools / stretch/squish" in milkshape, the moment the chest moves the texture in the 4th window ( 3d view) turns black, so i go to the UV map tutorial, and try to adjust the UV map, but it makes no difference, so i save anyway's and go threw the process of SimPE and sims 2 mesh tool, and when i open my new mesh in body shop, the mesh is black and covered with black wavey lines, this is my 17th attemped at going threw the tutorials, and i am following all of them to the letter, ,,,,,,, is there a tutorial for actually changing the mesh eg stretching it, i am new at this so if you recognise this issue could you please inform me on how to rectify it, thanx

<(O,o)>? Hmm... although I don't really have the answer your looking for... I just thought I'd reassure you that it can be done. I'm not sure where it's messing itself up but I decided to make the chest area larger on one of my outfits and everything went swimmingly... I didnt even have to change to texture or anything... the only time I've had it go black seemed to be when the size of the texture was changed... maybe I'm completely wrong... who knows... but it got bigger and my Body Shop sim went black... Undo=All Better.... *shrug* but if you didnt do anything to the texture originally and its MilkShape thats causing it then ... well... Im as lost as you are haha But anyway... back to my point... wait... what was it again? <(-_-)>........ Oh yea... haha don't give up cause it can work... yea... *waves and runs away almost hitting a wall* <(_ _)> ~ZZzzzzz
#30 Old 4th Apr 2006 at 1:35 AM
I just find it easy in the XZY, but it adds a few more steps to the process.
#31 Old 5th Apr 2006 at 10:44 AM
The SimPE site does not work!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 5th Apr 2006 at 2:21 PM
Yes, it appears they are having problems with their provider. You'll have to try again in another couple days, we have no control over that other site, nor do we have permission to distribute their software. Sorry.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 10:51 AM
Sorry, TiggeryPum, but though I really, really want to make my own clothing, for now it is too complicating. My head is spinning. No offence, thanks for the help, though. It's not your fault. Just too difficult for me...
Test Subject
#34 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 1:59 PM
Default :>
aargh. i tried but i failed...
:sadpanda:

but thanks from this tutorial anyway! :wave:

srry my bad english. i study it..
Test Subject
#35 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 9:12 PM
Ok I'm trying to do this tutorial but i think SimPE hates me and won't let me open the file named afbodydresslongloose_tslocator_gmdc it said something about not being able to find a file or something like that. it won't let me double click on it. i tried to open it by pressing the enter button, that's when i got that message. So what am I doing wrong? Please help
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 6th Apr 2006 at 10:20 PM
Well, it's not really a file, but it is data from one of your sims game files.
You can do step 7, and it shows you the list?

There is another way to do this, by going to the files individually. You can try using the steps in PART 3 of Neptune Suzy's Tutorial (then come back to this one)
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=142305
Test Subject
#37 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 11:16 PM
I am stuck at step 10.

1. I clicked the "Find" tab
2. I typed in "Sims04.package"
3. I clicked "Start"

But nothing appeared at the bottom where it says "Results". How could this be?
Test Subject
#38 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 3:10 PM
Nevermind, i found my problem, but now i'm stuck on step 27.
Test Subject
#39 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 4:26 PM
ok say if you want to do your on mesh how do you do that help help me?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 8:11 PM
Kissable_me - I'm at a bit of a loss as to any other way to explain step 27. In step 21 you inserted your modified shape and modified cres into the package. Then you use the somewhat odd package command to put copies of them into the right place in the 3IDR, replacing the original references with the refs to your new mesh.

Now in step 27 the view has moved back to the top of the screen, where you started. Someplace in that long list of recolor parts (you might need to scroll) you will find a Shape and a Resource Node. (those are your modifed shape and cres that you put in there - so that you could do that package thing and put them where they belonged) You need to right click on each of them and select 'delete' from the list for each of them. When you're done, you need to use the command from the file menu - SAVE.

Mercedes - to 'do your own mesh' you learn more commands in the 3D editor and you *modify* a Maxis mesh. You must always start with some mesh from the game. A simple modification was shown because this is a *tutorial* and as you can see there's more than enough steps to cover just to get people to this point. This tutorial method only allows for relatively simple modifications to a Maxis mesh, for more extreme changes, you will need to learn a lot more and use Unimesh (there's a matching beginning tutorial for Unimesh, and a manual that covers the rest)
Test Subject
#41 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 8:29 PM Last edited by dramaqn939 : 9th Apr 2006 at 8:35 PM. Reason: spelling
First of all this is the easiest to understand of all the tutorials I have looked at so Thanks

Secondly, I am kind of stuck on step 30 and 31. I clicked on the GMDC and I looked down into the plugin veiw and I don't see anything that can be used to change the setting to XYZ or to export. I even tried redownloading the newest version of SimPE to see if that was the problem. Also, where can you find the Maya Object Exporter? I have searched and I can't find it.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 8:46 PM
So, you went and loaded in your MESH file, the one in your downloads folder.

And you've clicked on the gdmc, (not the gmnd) and you have the plugin view up (it should appear on the bottom half of the screen). At one point I had trouble finding the plugin view tab, it was tending to be off the bottom edge of my screen. Play with the settings, scroll your screen or try the menus to make sure you can find the plugin view tab?

The plugin view should look like the area below that pop up, there should be a large blueish box (that would display your gdmc's mesh if you clicked preview) and all those other options. The plugin view also has tabs, be sure it's on the first tab (content)

Once you click the export button you will see various export options on the pull down in that popup menu, that's where you select to export as obj. See those highlighted parts are labeled 1, 2, 3, 4. As you can't find #1 and #2, you're not finding the rest.
Test Subject
#43 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 8:56 PM
Yes it is my mesh file. I just double checked.

I checked and I made sure that I clicked gdmc too. I can see the plugin veiw tab and I have checked through all of the tabs and all I see is pretty much just blank space. I have it on the content tab and still the only thing that shows up is the blocklist and filename.
Test Subject
#44 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 10:39 PM
I've tried 3 times and I still can't get past step 27. It's driving me crazy. I can't seem to find out what I did wrong. I did look in the save projects (I think thats right) area and it shows up fine, I don't know if this means anyhting or what.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 11:02 PM
Hmm, dramaqn -- that sounds like a SimPE issue, and I'm afraid I don't know how to help resolve it. You could check if the forums are up at simpe's site yet. I'd say post a screenshot here, just so we can see what you see, but I don't know if it's anything we can help with.

bunniluver, are you getting the file for step #20 from your SAVED SIMS folder? If you get it from projects, that whole part is not going to work right.
Test Subject
#46 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 11:18 PM
Yep, I am.
Test Subject
#47 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 10:09 PM
i cant even get step one down!
Test Subject
#48 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 4:55 PM
Okay, I fixed my previous problem, but now I'm on step #30 and I can't find the export option in simpe.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#49 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 6:04 PM
Okay, you need to first of all, highlight the gdmc. If that's highlighted and you don't see anything on the lower half of your screen - or you see something other than what's partially covered up in the screenie for #30 - you must find the PLUGIN view. If something else is down there, try closing it. Look for the 'plugin' tab. Look for 'plugin' in the menus and click it. Perhaps you closed the plugin viewer instead of letting it close itself and now it's not popping up automatically. It's automatic most of the time.
Test Subject
#50 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 7:27 PM
This is what I see when I click on it. Maybe the error is the problem?

I looked and I am in the Plugin wiew, but then again it is a new "modern" look, or as the message said when I started it up. So because of this some of the views arn't quite the same.
Page 2 of 21