Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 2:16 PM
Default XML coding
Hey folks,
how are we all doing today. Woke up this morning in a hardworking mood and decided to look at some of the coding in the sims 3 and it definitely is a good way to scare people lol. I have read HP's tutorial on XmL modding but its only describing how to access the code does anyone no how to read it that can give me a bit of advice to get started Thanks for your time guys.
Joe :D
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 2:22 PM
Most of it is explained in the XML files itself in plain text. Just go poking around through some of the files and read what they say in 'em - some are really long weird lists that don't seem to be useful, but others are pretty plainly obvious what they do.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 2:47 PM
This might be a bit advanced for you depending on whether you know much about programming, but when I need to find a *specific* XML value, or if I want to know whether something can be XML-hacked or not, I use .NET Reflector to search the core DLLs (you have to extract them first). Every tunable XML file corresponds to a class, so if you know the class that contains a tunable value, you can look up and change it quite easily.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 2:48 PM
You can also just extract all the XML files and use a program that will search within them (Notepad++ is a good one) for specific keywords.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 5:00 PM
Thanks for replies i must be really thick cause i dont think it is self explanatory lol i was like this bhavs but i ended up gettin it then they bring out sims 3 lol typical... i had an asylum setup in sims 2 and with lots of custom mods and objects so slowly trying to change it to sims 3 hopin i can make it more realistic in sims 3 but everything seems totally different so im like a wee newbie again lol. Another thing what makes sim3 hard is the the way the sim3 creators name everything. Do yous know if their is tokens like in sims 2 that you could add sims to like inge jones prison tokens?

Thanks again for reading

Joe :D