Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#101 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I completely see your point and know a lot about your issues in Turkey. I'm going to leave it to EA though, I suggest you send them a complaint. They might not be aware of it, but they will have to be pretty thick if they didn't.

Thank you. Well, the damage is done. I don't think they can pull the items back from the game at this point. (Would be nice if they did tho) But I'm sure they can learn from this experience at least. I just had to say what I had to say. It just happened to be here, I might have posted these on EA forums too, I didn't think about it, I saw the thread here and posted.

Everyone can feel free to link/share/mention my posts on EA forums if they want to.

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#102 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 7:30 PM
Surely there's a default override that hides all religious content in the game.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Alchemist
#103 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 7:33 PM
I don't question the fact that the hijab is often a sign of oppression, but I wanted to highlight the nuances and structures of it. I just think it is hypocritical that we should bring out our pitchforks when they include the religious element of a hijab in the game when the menorah has been present in TS2, TS3 and TS4. The menorah doesn't have oppression tied to it as far as I'm aware, but I dislike that people think now is the first time they bring in something religious into the game.

I'm not stating there should be political (although The Sims itself is political in it's rapidly growing extreme capitalist foundation) or religious elements in the game, I just think that in a game where we drown and burn and starve and torture sims for fun (which I think is fun too) it's strange we raise our eyebrows when a hijab comes into the picture.

what does his name even mean?
Mad Poster
#104 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 7:41 PM
Learn from it? Nah. It's not like with MFP SP where everybody agree on and band together to give a peo talk. This only receive one pinch from only a number of people. Through those weeks, this only received a thread of two pages that express dismay, which isnt a lot and even then opinions lean more to suppoirting patch nature's theme.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#105 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 11:14 PM Last edited by HarVee : 22nd Sep 2019 at 3:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
Negro cloths?

Your racist, white privilege is showing!

Depends on how you look at it. In Spanish the masculine form of black is "Negro". And the official name for the race is Negroid, which comes from the Latin word for the colour black "Nigreos".

As for Negro clothes, well there are a lot of Negro cultures out there to really understand what clothing styles are being specifically referred too.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#106 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 11:16 PM
Negras iš derogratory term in my language.

Mad Poster
#107 Old 21st Sep 2019 at 11:18 PM
What is your native speak?

Mad Poster
#108 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 12:57 AM
Lithuanian.

Mad Poster
#109 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 1:13 AM
Negras is to refer to the people and juoda is to refer to the colour?

I'm not familiar with Lithuanian language.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#110 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 7:20 AM
I have put churches/chapels in some of the worlds I have done, even though I do not attend in real life. The stereotypical New England village has the church on the green. Churches are a staple in small town America. And TBH I think they are fun to build and I like to have Sims marry in them at times. But this is my choice to include them, and I like that. It is not forced on me or my game.

I did like how Medieval was done, but that was a whole different type of game.
Scholar
#111 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 8:10 AM
So I did take a look at this stuff in my game (note: female side only). As it seems the only "Muslim items" avalible is: 2 types of head pieces (a Hijab and something else that I don't know the name of. ) and this typical swimsuit. Not much considering how many types of "muslim" clothing you can see on daily base (through the television or in real life). That said it makes me wounder why EA/Maxis did put the things in. It's almost like they did not wanted but had to. Like when "Pride" item was added and all items avalible was some clothes whit "rainbow" prints.
Test Subject
#112 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 10:12 AM
Read the book, Cows, Pigs, Wars and Witches by Marvin Harris for an anthropological overview of religious customs that renders this entire discussion, in my opinion, silly. Beyond that, only a tiny percentage of Muslims are dangerously fundamentalist. The religion shares roots with Christianity which has its own dangerous fundamentalists, and a bloody history of its own. People should be taken as they are as individuals, with the vast majority trying to find their way and do the right thing for their families. It's our humanity that we share and should strive to build upon.

I have no problem with the new content, and I'm old enough to remember when this was the style in the US. I'm not very religious but I've had occasion to wish we had some headwraps in the game, so I'm happy to have them. It would be nice if we could calm down and stop hating just because we're propagandized to. Here's a tip: stop watching tv and at least stop watching tv news. You'll see the world a lot more clearly.
Mad Poster
#113 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 10:43 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 22nd Sep 2019 at 3:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Negras is to refer to the people and juoda is to refer to the colour?

I'm not familiar with Lithuanian language.

Negras to a person of negroid race. Yes, it's juoda but in feminine form (add 's' and its masculine. To refer to black person or white, we call them juodaodis and baltaodis (odis meaning "of a skin"). I still remember how a classmate offended and triggered our ethnics teacher when he used the awful Word eveeytime Though we don't live so much in a mix race country. You may stumble those of asian decent here and there sometimes, but there are not a whole awful lot of black people so we rarely see one. So I feel like saying them negrai/negriukai you can get away with it by using it in casual setting. Į read a post in our reddit section that we have a standard to approve guys of our people to settle down with asian women but not black ones, otherwise you end being critizing for ruining gene pool of precendents.

dodgy builder
#114 Old 22nd Sep 2019 at 3:17 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 22nd Sep 2019 at 3:37 PM.
I mean who bloody cares if a person from the US is black or white, when I have a mosque neext door, a pakistani runs the grocerystore in my building, a guy from Syria has the restaurant up the street, a previous collegue is from Ethiopia, the cook on burger joint on another corner speak russian, my previous land owner was from India, I know people from all over the world, I hardly ever hear our native language in my street ...

... and he's a black guy from the US ... oh?

The share number of different people and countries represented in this city with only about 1 mill people is staggering. Not counting all the tourist suddenly coming to this socalled rich country with extremely high prices. I can't see anything for all the tourists. I know people from Barcelona and Venezia doesn't always like all the tourists, but what are they doing here.

Anyways, I had socialanthropology in uni. I like people from all over the world, but as they say "do as the Romans when you're in Rome"

... and the catholic church may have to take over a church by the native lutheran faith, because we the natives have "all" become atheists or agnostics.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#115 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 6:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by myrmaad
It would be nice if we could calm down and stop hating just because we're propagandized to. Here's a tip: stop watching tv and at least stop watching tv news. You'll see the world a lot more clearly.

I have not seen hate in this thread and am very happy about that. I worried a bit when I posted originally that there might be some anti-Muslim comments and I have seen none. Maybe some of the disagrees are based on that, but the only time I have seen any issues with this content is that some players do not want religion and/or politics in their games, any. Most of the objections or preferences have been that some players just don't want that in Sims, and not problems with it being Muslim content. I think this has been a good discussion.
Theorist
#116 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have not seen hate in this thread and am very happy about that. I worried a bit when I posted originally that there might be some anti-Muslim comments and I have seen none. Maybe some of the disagrees are based on that, but the only time I have seen any issues with this content is that some players do not want religion and/or politics in their games, any. Most of the objections or preferences have been that some players just don't want that in Sims, and not problems with it being Muslim content. I think this has been a good discussion.

Just to be clear about something; if people want to make their personal games about politics and or religion, they should feel free to do so. With the help of NRAAS, all of my sims are taxed at different rates based on their income. Sims parents that 'adopt' get a tax credit, elders don't pay income tax and pay a much lower property tax rate than their well off neighbors next door.

When sims first start out, they don't have any skills, nor do they have much money, so while there is no part of my hood that is in shambles, these sims do live in houses apartments that they can afford. As they gain skills and increase their income, their homes improve and or they move to a new home. The alternative to this is having sims live in what is best described as a Bed and Breakfast. These sims are fed, have a roof over their heads, clean beds to sleep in, and do pay to stay there, but it is cheaper than buying a house or a apartment. From there they find a job, work on their skills and stay there until they are making enough cash to hold their own.

While I can't have a economy in my game like what came with TS2, I do enjoy playing my game where my sims have side hustles and do what they need to to 'improve' themselves. If they have a strong interest in gardening, they can make money from it. If they like to paint, they can sell art. You get the idea.

Is my idea of playing fun for everybody? Absolutely not. Do I shove my game play down the throats of anybody that has eyes and ears? No and there is a reason for that, I don't like people doing that to me. Maxis isn't suggesting game play ideas through their messaging; they're telling people what they believe in and everybody that plays TS4 should accept it. Another prime example of this is when Grant had his temper tantrum about how anybody that owns a dog house must abuse their dogs. If that wasn't offensive enough, he went on to offend everybody from Australia because according to him, people that live in the Land of Oz are more prone to using dog houses / engaging in this animal abuse.

This problem is Maxis is not new; it has been going on since TS4 was released. As time goes on, they are becoming more pushy and obnoxious about it. Their game; their way when it is supposed to be the player decides how to play their game. If Maxis wants to act like a dictator whose sole purpose is to indoctrinate people, then they need to own it. The sims community has never had this problem until TS4 became a thing. There has been plenty of fights about other things, but never over crap like this.
Instructor
#117 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I mean who bloody cares if a person from the US is black or white, when I have a mosque neext door, a pakistani runs the grocerystore in my building, a guy from Syria has the restaurant up the street, a previous collegue is from Ethiopia, the cook on burger joint on another corner speak russian, my previous land owner was from India, I know people from all over the world, I hardly ever hear our native language in my street ...

... and he's a black guy from the US ... oh?

The share number of different people and countries represented in this city with only about 1 mill people is staggering. Not counting all the tourist suddenly coming to this socalled rich country with extremely high prices. I can't see anything for all the tourists. I know people from Barcelona and Venezia doesn't always like all the tourists, but what are they doing here.

Anyways, I had socialanthropology in uni. I like people from all over the world, but as they say "do as the Romans when you're in Rome"

... and the catholic church may have to take over a church by the native lutheran faith, because we the natives have "all" become atheists or agnostics.

Amen to all this particularly the bit about the Romans. I live in a city which probably doubles it's population in summertime with festivals and tourists. I love meeting people of all colours and ages except that it's difficult to find a seat in coffee bars. In a university city we have students from everywhere who bring much needed revenue to the country. I find them extremely polite and helpful, to me anyway.

That coverup bathing suit is ideal for my elderly Sims, even for my elderly witches. I am all for everybody appropriating any clothing they like from all everywhere. The whole world has appropriated the western suit, haven't they? If the world warms up much more we will eventually all be wearing the costumes the desert arabs use.
Mad Poster
#118 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 9:47 PM
A Roman? My father was a Roman.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
dodgy builder
#119 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
A Roman? My father was a Roman.

Romani?
Mad Poster
#120 Old 23rd Sep 2019 at 11:08 PM
No, no, a Roman. In the Jerusalem garrison, sir.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#121 Old 26th Sep 2019 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by myrmaad
Read the book, Cows, Pigs, Wars and Witches by Marvin Harris for an anthropological overview of religious customs that renders this entire discussion, in my opinion, silly. Beyond that, only a tiny percentage of Muslims are dangerously fundamentalist. The religion shares roots with Christianity which has its own dangerous fundamentalists, and a bloody history of its own. People should be taken as they are as individuals, with the vast majority trying to find their way and do the right thing for their families. It's our humanity that we share and should strive to build upon.

I have no problem with the new content, and I'm old enough to remember when this was the style in the US. I'm not very religious but I've had occasion to wish we had some headwraps in the game, so I'm happy to have them. It would be nice if we could calm down and stop hating just because we're propagandized to. Here's a tip: stop watching tv and at least stop watching tv news. You'll see the world a lot more clearly.

TBH - it's all about context.

In the West, the hijab becomes an aesthetic item of differentiation, or item of spiritual self-identification in an overly-standardized and spiritually-void cultural landscape.

In some parts of the world:

Quote:
Iranian civil rights activist gets prison for taking off hijab in public
August 29, 2019

Iranian civil rights activist Saba Kord Afshari has been sentenced to 24 years behind bars, including a 15-year term for taking off her hijab in public — an act that authorities say promoted “corruption and prostitution.”

https://nypost.com/2019/08/29/irani...ijab-in-public/
https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/s...217878345232384

(Not to mention the huge familial and cultural pressures that that push women to comply). They wouldn't want to disappoint their parents, wouldn't they? Just a simple thing to do, and it'll become a habit over time.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#122 Old 2nd Oct 2019 at 7:28 AM
This thread has run it's course, and there are some great posts here detailing why people think the way they do. Criticism of other religions is not tolerated, but overall I think anybody who reads it fully can get some valuable knowledge about the world, how it works, and how clothing and other things can be seen in different views depending on where you are in the world, your upbringing, and other factors. It's good to keep things reasonable to think about the world around us, and not be in sheltered bubbles all the time, and, as one poster put it, to see things in the eyes of a person, not a group.

Thread locked.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Locked thread
Page 5 of 5