Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:14 PM
Sims 2 Graphics Rules File
Hello! I recently changed my graphicsrules.sgr into a notepad file (because I was planning to make some alterations), and I completely forgot to save a backup

How can I make it go back to its original format? I've read that even if you uninstall and install the game again, it will still be the same.
Any help?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:16 PM
Where was that graphicrules file? because you should have one in every EP you have. You could copy the one found in your Bodyshop folder..and use it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Where was that graphicrules file? because you should have one in every EP you have. You could copy the one found in your Bodyshop folder..and use it.

I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. As I was changing the file, I forgot to untick the "Always choose the selected program to open this kind of file." option. So now it looks the same in every folder. Also, my Bodyshop doesn't have that file in its folder :/
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:25 PM
Have you tried changing the extension back to .sgr ?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:27 PM
Have you tried changing the extension back to .sgr ?

I have no idea how to do that...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:28 PM
right click on the notepad file, (Graphics Rules.txt) and rename it to Graphics Rules.sgr
Since you change the extension, you'll have a pop up message warning you. Say OK, and proceed.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:32 PM
Oh, okay now I feel stupid because I actually knew how to do that. But I did it and the little icon next to it is still a notepad, even though it's named as a sgr file. And it also created another file (with the original icon - the same one as package files) called "Graphics Rules.sgr.bak" . Should I delete the other one or...?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:35 PM
Well, if you have a backup, then rename that backup to take the .bak off of it.. but if you rename your back up, then you do not need to rename the .txt one.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:37 PM
Right click the file and click Properties. That'll tell you the file type right there. If you open an unknown file type in a program and tell it to keep doing that, it'll take the icon of the program.

Keep the .bak copy for now. IIRC GRM automatically makes it before changing them in case it fudges up.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:41 PM
Well, if you have a backup, then rename that backup to take the .bak off of it.. but if you rename your back up, then you do not need to rename the .txt one.

Now I have two graphicsrules.sgr files (still with the notepad icon, but I think that's okay because it says there that it is an sgr file, right?), so I'm supposed to delete one of them?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Right click the file and click Properties. That'll tell you the file type right there. If you open an unknown file type in a program and tell it to keep doing that, it'll take the icon of the program.

Keep the .bak copy for now. IIRC GRM automatically makes it before changing them in case it fudges up.

I think I got it. Thank you!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:27 PM

Hey again! I tried to start the game but an error message came up... What should I do?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:30 PM
What's the error message say? That might help, y'know

(Hint: Press Ctrl+C when the error's active window. IIRC, you can then paste the contents here. Unless it's changed since I last tried.)

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:33 PM
What's the error message say? That might help, y'know

(Hint: Press Ctrl+C when the error's active window. IIRC, you can then paste the contents here. Unless it's changed since I last tried.)

It says "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

Aaaah I'm going crazy
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:35 PM
Oh, that's odd. Basically the game doesn't know that you have a video card to play it. Looks like your graphic rules file got borked (as that's the file that tells the game what your video card is). Are you using Origin's UC version? If you repair it it should re-download it.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:42 PM
Oh, that's odd. Sounds like your graphic rules file got borked. Are you using Origin's UC version? If you repair it it should re-download it.

Yes I'm using the ultimate collection Repair it where? Sorry, I'm such a noob when it comes to these things ahah
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:48 PM
I don't have Origin, and the information I found might be outdated, but try right-click the game in Origin and Repair Game. That'll reset any modified files. It shouldn't touch your save files.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 12:09 AM
I don't have Origin, and the information I found might be outdated, but try right-click the game in Origin and Repair Game. That'll reset any modified files. It shouldn't touch your save files.

It worked!!! Thank you so much!!