Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 2:35 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Bigger window mode?
so im trying to get back into sims 2, (which is hard since ive yet to figure out why it keeps crashing but thats another matter) and i have it running in window mode by adding the -w thing in the shortcut, but the window is so tiny and only lets me choose the one screen size 800 by 600. i have tried messing with GraphicRules.sgr and doing the whole change the lowest resolution https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-...solution-guide/ but its not fixing it. i changed ALL of the GraphicRules.sgr from all my packs. but nope.
I should add that i do not have the ultimate pack (Still super pissed about missing out on that) i have all the packs in one way or another.
Sims2 deluxe that came with night life,best of business collection,fun with pets collection, university life collection, freetime, apartment life, seasons, bonvoyage, celebration and glamour life. i mention this only because the collection packs make things a tad confusing.

i know there is a way to make a bigger window, im sure i had it working before i had to switch to a new computer, but i cant figure it out.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 9:40 AM
Open your config.log (it'll be in your Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2\Logs folder, with your computer name at the beginning) and copy-paste the section from Application Info up to Global properties as a reply here. That'll tell us what graphics card you have and if the game recognises it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 11:06 AM
Sounds like you haven't done or need to redo the 4 gb patch, graphic rules and you might also need standby memory done. Check here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

What does the config-log txt say in your sims 2 Log folder?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Open your config.log (it'll be in your Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2\Logs folder, with your computer name at the beginning) and copy-paste the section from Application Info up to Global properties as a reply here. That'll tell us what graphics card you have and if the game recognises it.

i do not have a config.log in my sims2 logs folder.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 2:24 PM
Documents>Ea games>The Sims 2>Logs folder. Inside will be a notepad file called something like GamingPc or whatever yours is called, ending in config-log.txt

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#6 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 3:21 PM
in window mode the game will use iGPU/bGPU instead of dGPU (if you have one anyway) until you force it otherwise, so if you have had the config set up for your dGPU it won't be valid for iGPU (until you just merge the necessary data).

As was stated above - determine (by looking into the log) which GPU is actually used by the game and set up the configuration file accordingly.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 8:59 PM

found it, not sure why it didnt show up before.
=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 SC
Version: 1.12.0.188
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.0
CPU: 4748.799804Mhz, Name:GenuineIntel, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 2048MB
Free memory: 2048MB
User: Lori
Computer: SIM-GALAXY
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1402, Board: 29513842, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 23.21.13.9135, GUID: D7B71E3E-5742-11CF-5D78-5C091BC2DA35
Driver version: 9135
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.597972, <<UNRECOGNIZED>>
Screen mode: 1680x1050x32BPP,59Hz
Texture memory: 32MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1

Global properties
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 9:32 PM
OK, it sees your graphics card. But it's also saying you only have 32MB texture memory, so you have a problem there.
Download the Graphic Rules - NVIDIA - Texture Fix from Leefish (http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888) and install the GraphicsRules file into the TSData/Res/Config folder of your latest EP. Maybe replace all your GraphicsRules files actually, seeing as you said you changed them all. Run the game, see what happens, and if you're still having problems, post your config log again.

ETA: Just install the GraphicsRules file btw, the Video Cards one there doesn't seem to have your card listed and as the config log isn't saying NOT FOUND IN DATABASE, you shouldn't need to mess with it.

ETA2: I've just noticed it says <<UNRECOGNIZED>> next to Monitor aspect. That could be why it's stuck at 600x800, but let's see if the new GraphicsRules works first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 10:07 PM
OK, it sees your graphics card. But it's also saying you only have 32MB texture memory, so you have a problem there.
Download the Graphic Rules - NVIDIA - Texture Fix from Leefish (http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888) and install the GraphicsRules file into the TSData/Res/Config folder of your latest EP. Maybe replace all your GraphicsRules files actually, seeing as you said you changed them all. Run the game, see what happens, and if you're still having problems, post your config log again.

ETA: Just install the GraphicsRules file btw, the Video Cards one there doesn't seem to have your card listed and as the config log isn't saying NOT FOUND IN DATABASE, you shouldn't need to mess with it.

ETA2: I've just noticed it says <<UNRECOGNIZED>> next to Monitor aspect. That could be why it's stuck at 600x800, but let's see if the new GraphicsRules works first.

still cant get it to show any other screen size than 800 by 600.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 10:37 PM
What does the config log say now?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 11:34 PM
What you want to see is
Memory: 4096MB and Free memory: 4096M (not 2048)
Texture memory the same or close as the other memory reading. (Not 32MB)
Monitor aspect. Needs to read a number (not say <<UNRECOGNIZED>> )

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 12:01 AM
What does the config log say now?

=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 SC
Version: 1.12.0.188
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.0
CPU: 4748.799804Mhz, Name:GenuineIntel, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 2048MB
Free memory: 2048MB
User: Lori
Computer: SIM-GALAXY
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1402, Board: 29513842, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 23.21.13.9135, GUID: D7B71E3E-5742-11CF-5D78-5C091BC2DA35
Driver version: 9135
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.597972, <<UNRECOGNIZED>>
Screen mode: 1680x1050x32BPP,59Hz
Texture memory: 32MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 12:28 AM
Hmm, that still says 32MB for the texture memory, that's not right. You definitely downloaded the NVIDIA Texture Fix one and installed it in the right place? Did you replace all the GraphicsRules files you'd changed?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 12:46 AM
Hmm, that still says 32MB for the texture memory, that's not right. You definitely downloaded the NVIDIA Texture Fix one and installed it in the right place? Did you replace all the GraphicsRules files you'd changed?

i definitely did, i changed all the graphics rules. i overwrote them all with the ones from the texture fix
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 1:11 AM
In that case then, I'd suggest registering over at Leefish and asking in their graphics forum. Kiri over there is a wizard at getting the graphics files to work properly.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 1:03 PM
In that case then, I'd suggest registering over at Leefish and asking in their graphics forum. Kiri over there is a wizard at getting the graphics files to work properly.

alright, ill try that thanks.
Scholar
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 4:31 PM
Note that most instruction you get will be for M&G but your version of Store Edition is a higher SP. The Graphics Rules.sgr you need to edit will be in 'Store Edition\TSData\Res\Config\' and the 4gig patch if you choose to use it needs to be applied to Sims2SC.exe
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 11:48 PM
Oh Store addition ugh. I have heard it's possible to rid yourself of that OP and keep your hoods but it isn't easy. Otherwise yes use the Config in there and ignore it.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Oh Store addition ugh. I have heard it's possible to rid yourself of that OP and keep your hoods but it isn't easy. Otherwise yes use the Config in there and ignore it.

i have always found it confusing that i can open the game from my sim 2 deluxe shortcut and it will tell me that its opening sims 2 store edition but the opening screen itself displays mansion and garden ^^; there are so many sp and ep folders in the various collections and its still weird that university life, fun with pets and best of buisness all have a ep99 which is sims2sc ..is that store edition? and do you meant that the only config file that matters is the one in store edition? ...which one...
Scholar
#20 Old 23rd Aug 2019 at 4:56 PM
Your Config Log shows
"Name: The Sims 2 SC
Version: 1.12.0.188"
That is the version of store edition that comes with Fun with Pets Collection, it has a higher EP value than any other EP/SP including the UC. You'll never have problems opening other people's files but they may have problems opening yours if you share lots or neighbourhoods. I believe it is in sims2sc within ep99, I'm not sure because I never installed it on my main computer properly. I copied across from another computer and placed it in a folder called 'The Sims 2 Store Edition" then edited Windows registry so I can run it if/when I choose.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Aug 2019 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Your Config Log shows
"Name: The Sims 2 SC
Version: 1.12.0.188"
That is the version of store edition that comes with Fun with Pets Collection, it has a higher EP value than any other EP/SP including the UC. You'll never have problems opening other people's files but they may have problems opening yours if you share lots or neighbourhoods. I believe it is in sims2sc within ep99, I'm not sure because I never installed it on my main computer properly. I copied across from another computer and placed it in a folder called 'The Sims 2 Store Edition" then edited Windows registry so I can run it if/when I choose.

mkay idk how this has anything to do with my problem.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 27th Aug 2019 at 1:09 AM
Only that if you decide to move to say the UC none of your hoods will show up. There are also issues with Any game Starter and store addition as well. Generally, these days if you install your game avoiding Styore Addition this is recommended. It may also be Store Addition giving you issues here with this current problem. very few people are running on SA these days so getting help with it will be harder since we have a different set up and what works on the UC or works with disks + no SA may not work for you.
You need to change the graphic rules in the correct folder but since none of us here have SA we are not sure what that is. Maybe open your installation files and take a picture so we can compare.

But this Memory: 2048MB Free memory: 2048MB is wrong. That tells us that your graphic rules is not working. It needs to read Memory: 4096MB and Free memory: 4096M

~Call me Jo~
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#23 Old 27th Aug 2019 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You need to change the graphic rules in the correct folder but since none of us here have SA we are not sure what that is.

Chris did say where that folder is.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Note that most instruction you get will be for M&G but your version of Store Edition is a higher SP. The Graphics Rules.sgr you need to edit will be in 'Store Edition\TSData\Res\Config\' and the 4gig patch if you choose to use it needs to be applied to Sims2SC.exe

^ You need to edit the graphics rules in the The Sims 2 Store Edition folder because that is a later EP than M&G.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th Aug 2019 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Chris did say where that folder is.

^ You need to edit the graphics rules in the The Sims 2 Store Edition folder because that is a later EP than M&G.

i did. i edited all the graphic rules that one included.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Page 1 of 2