Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 11:58 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How do I retexture a hair that is already a default?
Since making a default in itself is already too hard (a BUNCH of confusing SimPE work that most of the time doesn't work even when I try to follow Marja's tutorial on it. I've heard that it is possible to just retexture someone else's default, but I have no idea how to. I'm poking around in SimPE, and I see the textures, but when I export them, I only see the alpha with the textures already on them. I'm not sure if just slapping a new 1024x1024 texture will work on it. If anyone has any idea how to retexture someone else's default, or even just an easier way to make defaults in general, it would be very appreciated
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 12:38 PM
The short answer is that you just replace the textures for each color in the default with new ones you make yourself. Making the new textures is the hard part, depending on whether or not you know how to recolor/retexture hair.

Personally, whenever I work with hair, I use DDS files because A) you avoid BodyShop, and I hate BodyShop with the fire of a thousand fiery suns and B) you have access to the alpha, if you want to edit that. Poppet did a good tute about doing hairs the DDS way here using SimPE + Photoshop. (But I'm sure you could do it with other image editors, if you can find a way to make your editor of choice work with DDS files.) When you're starting with a default, you don't need to do the BodyShop steps at all, just the SimPE stuff, starting with extracting one of the textures in the default as a PNG so that you can use it to make replacement textures for all the other colors in the default.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.