Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 7:54 PM Last edited by DrHouse93 : 13th Sep 2017 at 11:52 PM.
Default How to remove the "grainy filter" from paintings by reference?
Hi all! As the title says, I'm looking for the location in the game files of the DDS overlay applied to paintings by reference, aka "the abominable grainy filter". For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's a pic:

If you look closely at the preview in the bottom right corner, you can see the unaltered original photo. Basically, when a Sim paints by reference, the game makes the player take a photo of what he wants to be painted and then applies an horrible grainy effect to the photo to make it look painted. Since I hate that effect, and also think a 5-years-old child can paint better than that, I was planning to modify the overlay image that causes the grainy effect and either change it or simply make it fully transparent. This way, paintings will look like photos, but without filters, especially that disgusting grainy one. And no, I don't like photos taken with a game camera, because they're smaller and have a similar flaw: the abominable white border

So here's my question: in which Package file can I find the DDS resource containing the grainy effect? I tried looking into the Recipes, but had no luck
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 7:02 PM
That would be really awesome! I too don't love the look of the grainy paintings and would love for there to be an option of a more minimal/realistic brushstroke look for paintings.

Cheers! =D

lkandak
Deceased
#3 Old 13th Nov 2017 at 10:32 AM
I've uploaded a mod that removes the effect. It doesn't really answer the question, but maybe knowing it's basically the same as one of the photography filters can help you determine how to remove the effect completely. I'm not sure how those filters work to be honest, just figured out that they are also used to create that blob effect.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=602945

One nice thing about the mod the way it stands is that you can set a B&W filter, etc. on the paintings by reference.