Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 9:43 PM
I do not have the orginal key... but going by the community building listed in each area... this is the breakdown

B) Praaven Castle

C) Roman Quarter (Upper Class)
St. Jacob of the Mask, the former cathedral, is located here.

D) Varangian Quarter (Upper-Middle Class)
Vayruga Inn

Civic Quarter (Public)
Merchant's Guildhall (Business + Relics Cashier + Bookstore)- Interior + Furnish
Bishop's Palace- Interior + Furnishing
Hospital (Hospital)- Interior + Furnishing

E) Quarterround (Middle Class)
Public Bathhouse

F Ash (Middle-Lower Class, Up to Player)
Fowl Royale (Theatre)- as it is in this area

A Docks (Lower Class)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#52 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 10:30 PM
The original key and map are outdated, so I removed them. Was planning on people selecting and building districts as keeping track of individual lots is too time-consuming and slow, so lots are no longer individually numbered.

As for the direction north is, just remember that all churches are directly oriented west-east, with the entry on the West and the apse facing east! Generally, the richest districts are located nearest to the castle and on the highest ground. The seediest districts are the burnt-up areas and the Docks (the lowest ground). Everything else is middle-class. A further note- please avoid working on the Inn in the burnt district and the city-side docks- I'll be working on those, and I plan on moving the Inn to the Docks to give it a bit more distance from the other Inn.

Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I am finding it a challenge to decorate without CC but a challenge is good. Of course, that limits historical accuracy since the curtains do not look 14th century and there are no trunks or cupboards that work well for the bedrooms. But I will redecorate for my personal game.

If it's a absolute necessity you can tell me what CC is needed for more historical accuracy
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 12:07 AM
Thanks, that helps.

As for CC, how about some tapestries? These are at MTS: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=399508 and http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=395866.

Also here are some wall shields: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=398625

The only one I could find in game are from later EPs. They would really help distinguish wealthier homes from poorer ones. I guess what I find missing most of all are deco items that give life to a scene. On the other hand, I think limiting CC is a VERY good idea. I learned the hard way.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 12:57 AM
The tapestries and chests sound good, the wall shields I suppose are fine, though I think that the EA Castle set already has a shield that would do fine recolored.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 4:26 PM Last edited by lowrisim : 20th Nov 2012 at 12:43 AM.
edit duh moment You did use CFE to raise the wall heights for effect. Great for effect, pain for game's dumb limitations. and all but Gate house big enough to use regular stairs so that is fine. And I can add height top of gate house
----
Ran into an issue with the monastery buildings. Walls are not a stander level, so i could not add spiral stairs in gate house or chapel. Decided before posting to check the rest of the monastery building to see what floors could take spiral stairs, indicating they had standard height walls.

Gate house... effected all floors... fix with CEF and re leveling all walls to standard height on each floor (I have a basic furnishing layout done... not thrilled with though so was going to take a break from it and work on the chapel.

Chapel lot... all floors effected... have not started on

Abbots manor, novice house and brewery... ground to first fine.. first to second not (have not done anything with these either)

Noticed on all these building the roofs on the end do not overhang. Not sure how you did that, and wonder if it involved CEF and that is the cause? or how to repeat it on any roofs I need to rebuild.

Basically I know how to fix the wall heights, I just don't know if there is a reason they are off and if that messes up what you have done or intend to do with them.

I planed to work on the monastery lots unless someone more experienced and faster comes along and wants them.. - (I know the components of the cloister, chapel, chapter house, etc and where to find reference material for it. So figure it was what I could offer for basic historical accuracy) I can at least get basic layouts with simple and spars furnishings. Which I think fits the setting.

hope this makes sense if not just ask
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#56 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 3:06 AM
The CFE was used to get the roof height a bit higher so that the overhang wouldn't cover the windows. Feel free to remove it if necessary.

One particular note- the gatehouse needs a gate large enough for a horse to pass through- some precedents to look at is the Bishop's Palace and the City Hall.

The monastery is divided into four lots + the brewery.

- The Main Building- should contain some additional rooms that have sculpting, painting, plus some rooms for visitors and a large kitchen- The Merrye Maker's stove apparently is also flagged for community lots.

- The Gatehouse- Additonal ambitions career rooms- perhaps inventing?

- Two residences- for monks. Decorate accordingly.

- The Brewery- Feel free to redecorate, as it's only half done and I wasn't too happy with the way it was going.

A great source of inspiration- Stephen Biesty's cross sections. He has a few of medieval places (including a monastery), and they're beautifully detailed and accurate. Check your library (and even if you're not borrowing for the inspiration, his images are just great fun to look at!).

http://www.stephenbiesty.co.uk/home.html
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 6:15 AM Last edited by lowrisim : 22nd Nov 2012 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Question answered
what i was using for the Chapel lot
http://www.timeref.com/abbey5.htm
thanks for your link... does look fun

Was going to use those components, and mostly the shell you have. Building is huge and has plenty of room for Ambition careers

Gate house - i was seeing it as the Protection and guest Quarters... so made it kinda like an inn...
I did put stable doors on the Gate house.
made West end a stable
as the best guest room is traditionally the top floor of the gate house I made it the guest room* for when the Bishop visits

* (at least in England i know least by Henry VII's time example Oxburgh Hall) so might be wrong time period and culture for my choice.

easy to change if you want me to

And do you or anyone else know why on some lots horse and riders can't go for a ride and others it is fine?

Started on Chapel today
choir and Chancel/high altar area)

will leave nave as is as historically pews don't come in until Victorian era. But will need Baptismal on West end (one of the game fountains should do. I will use ATS 3 church stuff for own game later)

need sleep!

Update: finished chapel, and East Range (ground floor book rm, Sacristy, Chapter rm, scriptorium, (on the floor above) choir(Quire) monks dormitory and library

??? wondering how you did the roofs to not have overhangs on the ends??? If i remove a roof even it I put it back in same place I can't repeat it. It comes back if I hit undo. (answered: THANKS for the FAST answer, going to give that a try it looks great!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#58 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 12:24 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 22nd Nov 2012 at 5:46 AM.
Think it's because sims need room + flat surfaces to mount horses.

Roofs with flat ends are created by combining two half-hipped roofs with a gable roof.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#59 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 4:57 AM
A quick update:

Port area is finished, the Yara Inn moved and the St. Jacob of the Mask spire fixed.

Nov. 22 Overview of the city. Coming along nicely, need the two empty lots near the castle finished and the empty shells filled out.

Of note- if you're building, please leave crossed-out lots empty- they're intended for players to build their own houses. In the case of the bandit keep, I need to finish that myself.

A quick view of the city with Simsample's Jericho weather settings (as an example)

A great little example of a lot for interior decorating:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=399096
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 3:11 AM Last edited by lowrisim : 24th Nov 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: new info on glitch- Photo
I have 4 sims stuck at the edge of the map behind the monastery. Looks like they are under the distance terrain.

I evicted the 7 sims and 2 horses I had testing out the monastery... saved the building... placed the family back... went back in and 3 of them had been transported out there.. So evicted. moved back in still stuck. Move to different house... fine... moved back to monastery... now 4 stuck... exited game. The sims are not important. I can just delete them and try a different family tomorrow. But I don't know why it happened. My quess is not enough room around the mail box. but the other lot i sent them to was just as tight. You might want to check your routing paint there. As the first time 4 of them were off the lot when when I went in. Only one could route home. I am almost positive they were all home when I evicted them.

Need a break for the game tonight... will check tomorrow to see if anyone knows why this happened... then test the lot to see if it is glitched for good. Or if it is just this family

UPDATE: Did it with another family of 7 sim and two horses. so Moved mail box from beside south door back to the East side. Moved them back in... 3 appear on road in front of south side rest around mail box on East. Might be related to amount of flat ground around mail box.

description: There is a brown mountain to the north of the monastery . with a lack running horizontally behind it. on the North back of that lake... in the East corner it were it sends them when it does. (can't see them just the Circle with picture to indicate where they are.

NEW THOERY: So messed with it a bit more... I think it is about the game calculating enough spaces for each family member that are not enclosed, ie fenced for walled, and not covered by floor tiles...so not calculated as inside. The sable tiles run into the building tiles on that side even though should be outside, is what i think is messing it up... so moved the mail box towards the road, rather then by door and work. At least once.

photo added of pic from save where 3 sims get stuck one appears on road and rest on lot
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#61 Old 24th Nov 2012 at 4:26 AM
Hmm, do you have a snapshot of the spot they're getting stuck in? I checked the routing paint and there are no holes that I'm aware of.

If it's necessary, do feel free to modify the building and rebuild since it's probably the oldest lot that's remained untouched in the map.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#62 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 1:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lowrisim
photo added of pic from save where 3 sims get stuck one appears on road and rest on lot

It looks like it's sending sims to the (0,0,0) coordinates. There's no terrain there, just water. Strange..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#63 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 8:28 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 25th Nov 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Quick update:

Finished shell of Ruined Keep, it needs furnishing on the insides.

A low-lying and stout building harking back to the early days of the Thallian Crusades, Lughaven Keep predates Praaven Castle but has fallen into partial ruin. Nowadays, it serves as the main base for the bandits and people of lesser law in the world.

- One consignment counter. Was considering a nectar counter as well, but it would render the Inn in Lughaven useless.
- One criminal rabbithole rug.
- 2 Residential lots.
- 1 empty lot.

Addition notes when building:
- In light of the monastery issues, remember to check if the mailbox and garbage cans work!
- Remember to set the front of the lot to a major road (shift-click or shift+control-click on ground)
- Also remember to set a front door!
- CRUCIAL NOTE: Build below 1.42- patch issues prevent lots from 1.42 and up from being placed!
Top Secret Researcher
#64 Old 25th Nov 2012 at 10:41 PM
Looks great! Sorry my box was full. I fixed that!
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 12:44 AM Last edited by lowrisim : 26th Nov 2012 at 2:16 AM. Reason: saw message in box -added idea
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000

- CRUCIAL NOTE: Build below 1.42- patch issues prevent lots from 1.42 and up from being placed!

Yikes! I am patched to 1.42. So does this mean you can't use lots created on patch 1.42 and forward?

Could you give more details? As in can't be placed at all in other games...or in games patched below 1.42

I have deleted and replaced the lots I am working on to make sure the stairs work after being placed in a new game. And I can replace them in my game.

Edit: oops didn't see you sent me a message.. Got it.. of to look up a thread or two

Possible helpful thread on making lots package files http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-43-page-2.html
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#66 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 3:42 AM
The lowdown of the situation is that when I try to place a building created in a post-1.42 game onto an empty lot, the building is never placed and the lot remains empty.

As of now, the guaranteed solution is to revert to a pre-1.42 patch level- but this means massive amounts of tedium and work wasted.

The second unguaranteed solution is to search for a workaround (what little things have changed in the system between 1.36 and 1.42?), which I hope will be found quickly.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 4:04 AM
so sorry so frustrating. I know you are very busy.

I am packing it in for the night... but will think this through tomorrow. (i.e. whether I will back up my patch level and rebuild)
Top Secret Researcher
#68 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 4:52 PM
The other option it to release the game with empty houses, not always a bad thing as players can decorate themselves according to the patch level of their game. Lots that you build yourself and place in the world should show up fine if exported with the world (placed in CAW's edit-in-world.) I have imported an old world into games and all the lots show. All others would have to be released as separate lots with directions where to place them. Then when EA patches CAW, which is likely to happen although may take a few months, the houses can be put into the world files.

Another option: Try including a save file with the added lots. The new lots should show up in your world even if they won't work through the launcher. Personally, I would prefer this to a bunch of lot package files. Your lots built in 1.36 might work fine in Lowrisim's game so he/she could create the save file. Just an idea and again, once CAW is updated, you could then install all those lots if you want.

I do wonder if everyone is having this problem. I haven't heard people complaining on the forums I visit, which is odd since everyone loves to complain. It seems this game works differently on different systems, with problems affecting people differently.

Unfortunately, I am also patched to 1.42 and prefer not to revert back as it has taken me weeks to get this current version to work properly with my current games.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 7:17 PM Last edited by lowrisim : 29th Nov 2012 at 3:35 AM. Reason: new info from test
update: method of raw library file confirmed to not be the solution...
-------------

Before we all resign ourselves to IT WON"T WORK unless we revert to patch level 1.36 I would like some help testing some alternatives. As jje1000 is very busy if someone else is available to do some testing it would really help.

1. someone patched to 1.42 check to see if the lots work in your game. (check that I have done it right ) Tested works, thanks Lulume
2. someone with 1.36 see if they work in your game (tested by jje1000 could not be placed)

both zipped http://www.mediafire.com/?k3e982i391wj1aw
gatehouse http://www.mediafire.com/?shgruzctuema7z4
main Lot http://www.mediafire.com/?u9zr05eze84dr8q

These are work in progress lots, Gate house and main lot for Monastery, made with 1.42 patch level. They are package files from the library folder and can be put in your library folder. NOT IN DOWNLOAD FOLDER or Launcher

They should work in games patched to 1.42 so that is just the control group I don't think they will work in games patched to 1.36, so that is the real test. It is worth a try... as it would be the easiest work around

The question is NOT do they show up in your library... and are available to place in game but can you actually place them. Best if test in Praaven but the gatehouse lot I think is small enough to test in any hood. Monastery is something like 60x40

If anyone has another idea... and need lots in package format to give it a go... These can be used as far as i am concerned. They really are jje1000 lots. So use them in anyway that moves this forward.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#70 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 9:02 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 27th Nov 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Additional options in case the alternative pathway doesn't work:

1.) Build all the lots and make sure they properly work. I will then update to 1.42, add the lots and the sims and export the game. In this case, the world (objects, spawners) need to be finished beforehand lest I run into more problems. There are also some issues with the installation of 1.42 worlds.

2.) Have the lots exported as Sims3Packs that can be placed into the world. This allows for the coexistence of 1.42 and 1.36 files, but I feel that players will get tired placing so many lots.

3.) Have the world as a savegame. It works, but feels cheap, people starting a new game will have to deal with an unfinished world.

I have an old spare computer at home- I'll try to get a 1.42 version of the world tested out. IMO it's jus post 1.42-lots which have issues. Theoretically, any patch below (e.g. 1.38) will be fine. Maybe the whole issue is because of Seasons and the seasonal lots?
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 1:43 AM Last edited by lowrisim : 27th Nov 2012 at 1:54 AM.
jje1000 have you already eliminated the possibility of the package lots from the library working? if so I will edit my post above

and yes i do have seasons....as well as patched to 1.42

The lots you had difficulty with were from a game patched to 1.42 but did they also have EP's installed you do not own. Like seasons?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#72 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 3:53 AM
I haven't tried the package method yet- I'm going to try it right now.

I only have all the expansion packs up to Supernatural.

Also this thread may come in handy:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post4016662

Edit: Unfortunately it doesn't work- perhaps going through the file in SimPE?
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 4:35 AM
Disappointed but not surprised.

I don't know enough about SimPE to know how running it through might help. I would being willing to down load the new version and run the files through it if someone told me what to look for or change.

I am willing to back up my patch... and redo the two lots... but I am so slow that won't help you much. Of the 5 monastery lots I have only touched two.

But I think I will wait until the weekend to see if a solution presents itself... If not I will get some good pictures of what I have done to see if you even want it before I start over. I loved doing the Chapel/cloister lot and would still have it for my game so no loss to me if you decided you didn't want to use it. But redoing it if you didn't want it would not make much sense.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#74 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 4:44 AM
Some pictures now would help- and I won't turn your lots away. If they need changes, I'll simply suggest them
Alchemist
#75 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 1:50 PM
I'm not into mediaval but this looks awesome!

If you remember me, I'm awesome!