Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 8:12 AM
Default Making a 'rope ladder'
Can someone tell me how I can make my ladder reach down to the ground? It keeps digging into the ground and then when I flatten the ground the ladder goes up. I had walls on it at the start.

Foundation added to show the height it gets to before the ground starts to go lower.

Or whats the best way to do this from the start?
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 8:53 AM
Theres a tute here by Jonesi, its building a curved roof, I would imagine the technique could be applied to this, its a really good tute so clear and easy to follow! (All Jonesi building tutes are) try that one http://simscave.mustbedestroyed.org...p?topic=33221.0 if its not still working maybe have a look through the tutorial database and see if theres something else that may work. http://ts2tutorialdatabase.tumblr.com/Building

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 9:50 AM
I haven't seen those before thanks. I'm sure they will come in handy although I wouldn't know which one might help with this. I have used a curved roof tutorial before with two walls and gradually going down, but that didn't want to work here as I tried using two walls first up. I think the issue with this is it starts at one wall high and I want it to go right to the ground like a rope ladder. I'm not even sure if it's possible.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 10:15 AM
Wow, looks promising :-) I am really no expert with cfe (especially not for TS2), but i would think you need a second floor. If you level the ground, the first floor will always be affected. You can delete the first floor later and the second floor will keep it's form. You can make the walls really low with cfe and either use them for your ladder instead of the fence or in combination with it. Alternatively you might want to work with the foundation tool and flooring instead of walls as described here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=552204 (it is for TS3 but maybe it works for TS2 as well? As I said, I am no expert, so I'll just hope it helps you somehow to get the right idea.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 10:38 AM
I was thinking maybe of raising the ground under the ladder and going down instead. I had been using a wall and going down into the ground, which was working fine until the wall itself reached ground level. But that can only be on one side since the ladder is attached to a walkway tile. Thanks I will take a look, sometimes TS3 tuts are helpful.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 10:47 AM Last edited by Monsieur_Oshima : 3rd Jun 2016 at 11:16 AM.
Interesting, I've always thought it was impossible to make a level lower than 4 clicks above the gound (or the level below), until I saw this tutorial by Shastakiss, using Mootilda's Grid Adjuster a couple of weeks ago: http://shastakiss.livejournal.com/24987.html maybe this is a useful start?
I don't know whether you can make it come down completely to the ground though, but maybe with a one-click difference, you can use wooden modular stairs that would look like a beam at the bottom of the ladder, anchoring it to the ground? I also read here that modular stairs need at least 2 steps (two-click height) to be actually usable in-game: https://web.archive.org/web/2014080...%29-Split-Level
[Edit] in Shasta's tutorial it seems that one-click stairs work fine, the other was about stages so I guess it may work differently. But anyway, it's only if you want your ladder to be functional, and if it's not too steep to be ^^
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 11:32 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 3rd Jun 2016 at 11:48 AM.
Thanks! I'll have a look. No it's not functional it's built with low fence edging.

I think I may just have to compromise and make it go down so far then use a low climbing wall. The trouble here is it's near a sway bridge as well as a walkway with trees in the way (contest so I can't move the trees)

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 11:46 AM
I don't really build in TS2, only in TS3, so I don't know if this will be any help. For the resort, I kept struggling with my boathouse and CFE.

1 of my problems was that I'd already used terrain tools to even out the edges of the lot, so didn't have a flat surface to start with. So I ended up deleting the whole lot and starting again with a flat lot and doing the CFE work before smoothing the edges out.

That way, I could just about fit in some lowered foundation and add walls to the top on the jetty side of the boathouse, to be able to raise the walls on foundation to the same height as the other walls; and some walls to the other side of the boathouse to be able to straighten out those walls to the right height. When I'd got everything to the heights I needed, I then deleted the other foundation and walls and tidied the terrain all up.

(One of the other problems was that though I could use CFE to scoop out the ground under the arches so I didn't have a stupid ledge between the boathouse interior and the water outside, doing that messed up the arches so they looked horribly warped, which was not the effect I wanted! So I'm stuck with the stupid ledge and diversionary tactics so it doesn't jump out at you when you look at it...)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 11:56 AM
That's the thing with CFE isn't it, one part can look great while another thing has become distorted. I think the compromise will work okay-climbing wall then more of a swayed rope ladder.

Thanks for the ideas, I have some tutorials I didn't know about saved now.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 12:42 PM
Maybe this one then Jo http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=190663

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 12:52 PM
Now that looks very interesting and may be just what I want. Never heard of that before, but wow look at that sphere, that's some mad CFE skills.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 3:02 PM
Wow, so you can even make 0-click walls?! this is taking CFE to a whole new level, I'm reading all of this asap =D
Thank you Tiffany for the link!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 5:17 AM
Need some more help, I think it's to do with how I made my original wall 4 clicks. I did my usual which is make a room and use the stair case to make it 4 clicks, then I ran tile across to the wall to make the wall 4 clicks. When I did the redo at the end I had a slanted wall and some floating tile. What is a better way of making the original wall 4 clicks? The tutorial didn't suggest a method.

~Call me Jo~